FEF: Verdant Wings (lC)

Raindrop Valkyrie

pOI5NL9.png

"They want me to be more social. Something about needing connections and people skills to move up in the world. Not that they care that much any more, but at least I can say I tried and they'll leave me alone with my books and my bugs." Morgan fidgeted with the ancient-looking book in her hands awkwardly, turning it around, opening it and closing it, that sort of thing. They drew back slightly, with a reproachful look. "But whenever I show up to these things, people just stare at me until I leave."

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6tbEQ8z.png

"Forgive me for saying so, but I believe people seem to just goggle at you because you don't speak to them."

tTvnHgG.png

"They see you as a stranger. An outlier. You make no attempts to become closer to anyone, but everyone else is too busy thinking of you as odd to do it either. So the people stare at you, and you stand in the corner until it's time to leave, and the cycle repeats itself."

LQ9aKr7.png

"Does this sound right to you, Morgan?"

krim.png

Sherwyn sighed as he saw Reynauld approach. They didn't dislike the guy, but he could stand to be a little more vigilant in his work. It looked like they were on the same post too, although they weren't entirely sure if this was their post. Coel never told them anything other than show up, and usually, that meant guard duty. 

"You're here too, huh?" they muttered "I suppose I could stand to have a little fun but...what is the purpose for this? Usually, Coel only puts on one guard, and the commander and that knight are here too..." they said pointing to Lyle and Roland, talking on the other side of the room. "Tonight is different from usual, but why?" He knew Reynauld probably wasn't the best to talk to about such things, he'd likely just joke about it and find another reason to slack off. But he was one of the few that actually talked to them, so it wasn't like they had other options.

LQ9aKr7.png

"Not necessarily. There might be someone here right know who's read even more books than you have, and would be delighted to discuss reading with you. Or someone who wants an insight into lesser-known forms of magic."

JYHzEb0.png
"Or even a person who just really likes bugs."

LQ9aKr7.png

"But you will never find any of these people if you never look for them. It just takes patience."

Reynauld gave Sherwyn a look that could only be described as, as if he saw them grow a second head before his eyes. He kept staring in disbelief for a moment before running his hands through the glorious mane of his. "Swifty, pal, you're not on duty my dude. You're supposed to be a guest. Same with the Ol' Red over there. Swear the kid never takes that armour off. Kinda like you but less like... l'm wearing my entire home on my back, for this armour is my life and it covers the whole of my body...ness. You two would probably get along your work ethics make me wanna puke dude. That's a good thing! Well, that your work ethics are good. Not me losing my lunch."

"By the Arcana... what was l talking about again?" the rambunctious knight said flustered and confused. "Oh ye, it's just me and the boss man on duty for tonight. Not sure what Boss Man's up to honestly. Guess he just wants to be prepared or something l dunno. But get outta here Swifty have fun, unwind... relaaaaaaaaax. Maybe take off your turtle shell for once. Be free from your life of being furniture. Think that's what decorative suits of armour count as. Probably..."

"Well, if there's nothing the matter here l should get back to my post. You all behave now until the prep's all done." the knight commander had quite the mirth to his voice as he left. He retook his post towards the back. He waved at Lyle when he got there.

Gavan fiddled with the small pouches on his belt, searching to see if Lord Cole was around. If he wasn't... Nope, didn't see him. Perfect. Starting to slip through the crowd, he'd made it most of the way out when he bumped into a girl with bright red hair that he thought he'd seen around before. "Ah, excuse me miss. That was my fault." He'd almost tried to pick her pocket entirely out of habit, but had stopped himself just before his hand dipped into her pocket. Instead he held it out to her. "Name's Gavan. I work with Lord Cole. What's your name?" She was cute enough to hold him at the party for at least a few moments more...

Lyla_Really_Talk.png

"Hey watch where you're going!" She yelled, until she turned around to see the man who'd bumped into her. In a moment he apologised for his mistakes, and seemed quite kind. "Oh uh no it's fine I guess I was standing in the way too." 

Lyla_Happy.png

"I'm Lyla." She stretched out her hand to shake Gavan's. "I also work for Lord Cole, mostly cooking. You're a servant?"

"Uh... Sort of I guess. Kinda a jack of all trades. Some combat, some medicine training, a few other skills. Mostly I just do whatever Lord Cole wants me to do, you know?" He held onto her hand for an extra beat before releasing it with a slight reluctance. "Clearly I should be trying to spend more time in the kitchen though. It was nice of him to give you some free time out here."

Gv53FA8.png

Lyle awkwardly waved back to the captain. He didn't know how to react, at first he thought he was beckoning him over but that wouldn't make sense.

1Ofxe8z.png

Then Lyle noticed a boy, Gaven he called himself, bumping into Lyla. He didn't like that one bit, he also didn't like how touch he was getting with her hand. But the captain was watching so he couldn't be too forceful. Unless he REALLY wants to get him mad. But the the girl from earlier started apologizing to him. He couldn't simple ignore her, but he couldn't let that boy do whatever he's doing to Lyla. Something inside him is just turning furiously just looking at it. However, he decided to focus on the feather girl as she was more immediate.

Gv53FA8.png

"No, please, do not worry yourself about such things. If someone was messing with my sister I would try and help as soon as I would be able. So like I said, you have nothing to apologize over."

pOI5NL9.png

"Would you keep looking if you got the same response every time you talked to someone? It's not like this is a huge city, if there was someone in town that wanted to do something other than stare at me or awkwardly avoid eye contact then they would have done it already."

Lyla_Happy.png

"Yeah it's nice to be out of the kitchen and meet people. I don't always get to do it and as much as I love cooking I need some free time you know?"  She smiled, clearly enjoying the attention. "Although I wouldn't stay in the kitchen too long the head chef can be a bit of a pain... I've learned a lot but she's uh... Evil. Probably."

5a3d75b30739d_ReneeVaughn.png.7da628bc03c566e69e1cd8876faaf0ad.png

"Uh... right. So the point I was trying to make earlier. Morgan's not planning anything funny, unless you count an escape attempt. You don't have to look at them like that, and it makes them even more self-conscious than they already are. So... maybe just stop that, and we're fine?"

Gv53FA8.png

"You have my word as a knight that I shall no longer stare at your sibling in such a way again, lest my honor be sullied. So you need not worry about future stares from me." He spoke doing an an exaggerated salute to the women.  "Besides, with a sister such as yourself I doubt she'd be up to anything nefarious."

"Hmm, maybe you should spend more time out of the kitchen then. I could show you around a bit. The gardens are quite lovely for instance. Plus I think there are some interesting old passages here... I think they're technically supposed to be secret but I know about them." He winked with a smile, clearly trying to get a bit of a reaction at this point. This party had certainly become worth it at this point. She was enjoying the conversation it seemed and even though nothing would come of it most likely, there was nothing wrong with some harmless flirting.

5a3d75b30739d_ReneeVaughn.png.7da628bc03c566e69e1cd8876faaf0ad.png

"A knight? Well, I guess I can trust your word then. Explains why the commander was talking like that with you..." she cleared her throat, then extended a hand. "Proper introduction I guess - I said it before, but my name's Renee Vaughn. Good to meet you."

Lyla_Happy_Thoughts_Talk.png

"That sounds pleasant actually." She blushed slightly and held her hands close to her chest. "I've never gotten the chance to see the castle, especially not it's secrets." 

Lyla_Really_Smug_Talk.png

"I can return the favour too, I can cook for you. You haven't lived until you've eaten Shrimp Risotto A La Lyla, my own secret recipe." 

Gv53FA8.png

Lyle's mouth began to twitch slightly as he heard what that brat Gavan was saying to Lyla. It made his blood boil.  "A-ah yes, introductions..." His voice started cracking,  "My name is Lyle, it's a p-pleasure to meet you." He firmly shook the lady's hand, though his pointer finger twitched up and down as he did so. It was getting tough to contain his anger. If he could just grab hold of that boy's neck quickly finish this conversation and tell the boy to stop whatever he was trying to do with Lyla.

"Oh that does sound delicious. A trade then! You make me that and then I'll show you the secret passages around this place, alright?" This was better than he'd expected. Though he was getting a strange feeling, almost like there was concentrated hate directed towards him but that was just silly.

Gv53FA8.png

"Thank you." Lyle said nodding his head. He didn't feel any explanation was needed, after all she did the same thing for her own sibling.

1Ofxe8z.png

With that he turned around and slowly walked up to the two, the ominous sound of his armor clanging louder as he grew closer. He stood upright besides Lyla staring down at the boy trying to woo his precious sister. Well, by starring I mean pointing his face down directly at Gaven. He would only be able to see his unamused mouth and nose as his eyes were covered by his crimson hair. One could only imagine how much fierceness those eyes carried with them. His mouth then grew a sinister grin as he began to speak,

7cgjbTB.png

"Oh, hello there. Gaven was your name correct? I could help but notice you talking with my SISTER and I just COULD NOT help but find out more about you." He slowly lifted his gauntlet out, offering a simple handshake,  "I'm Lyle, it's an honor." If Gaven had not yet already ran away and was foolish enough to place his hand with his. Well, simply put he would feel a crushing grasp envelope his hand. Nothing that would cause damage or permanent harm, not yet anyways. This would simply be a warning, a long.......... drawn out.......... warning.

Gavan glanced over at Lyle and gave him a small wave. "Nice to meet you. That's me, Gavan. Sorry, I'm a bit busy talking to your sister right now, but I'm sure I'll have time to talk to you later." He'd dealt with enough bullies and protective idiots to know what this was and he wasn't interested in getting in a pissing contest right now especially when the other man was in armor. But that didn't mean he was going to run away or stop talking to Lyla. After all, he was doing nothing wrong.