[IC] Neon Exodus Evangelion Act 1 - Promised Land

Notus

Satomi had a couple more quick questions. "...Do you guys have any way of telling if there will be more Angels and when they'll come? And do you know why Unit 17 caught us? Was there someone in there making sure it worked or something?" she asked. Then she pushed up her glasses again. "And, uh... when can I get the lens on these fixed? The right one broke when Unit 17 got tossed around..." she said, trying to end with a bit of levity. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranga blushed and a smile ran across her lips for a moment, a response to the doctor's own smile. She ruffled the edge of her dress with her hands and continued listening to the others. Hopefully everyone's families were fine...worry built up in her throat at the thought. She knew what it was like to lose her family, and she didn't want Kyou and everyone else to have to go through that.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, King Murdoc said:

"Um, do you know if anyone has been able to contact Arash and Junko Verethragna? They're on the maintenance crew, and they haven't responded to any of my messages. . . And Sam, he was supposed to be with them today."

"No word of that has reached me yet." Admiral Sauer answered. "But as soon as we know anything about them we'll send word to you. I'm sure they must be fine."

"...Do you guys have any way of telling if there will be more Angels and when they'll come? And do you know why Unit 17 caught us? Was there someone in there making sure it worked or something?" 

Admiral Sauer looked to Dr. Hashimoto for those answers. "We've already reprogrammed the probes and we'll use them to scout the surroundings for any Angels that might appear, so we'll probably know about any possible attacks well in advance." He then considered Sayomi's second question for a moment before answering. "About Unit 17... That was most likely a involuntary reaction of the system during the test sequence. You're lucky it happened on the right time, so no more crawling inside the ship's bulkheads, ok?" As unlikely as that exolanation sounded, it didn't seem like the doctor was in the mood to say anything more about the subject. "And don't worry, I'll get you new glasses and  a pair of contacts just in case."

After becoming clear that no one in the room planned to talk anymore, Alma got up and clapped her hands once to get attention. "Well then, I think we should go check in your new quarters. Is it okay, Admiral?" 

As the ark's commander nodded, Alma gently got hold of Ranga's hand and started walking out of the room, signaling for the children to follow her.

Dr. Hashimoto waited a moment and then walked out as well with Satomi, a little bit behind Dr.Neummann's group.

After all of them left, the Admiral spoke again. "You should go with them, Asuka."

Asuka had stayed behind and greeted the Admiral's suggestion with an annoyed face. "Really? I don't feel like playing babysitter for them." 

"It'll be weird if your the only one to live separately from them, don't you think?" He argued. "Besides, you'll be playing their friend more than their babysitter."

"Even worse then. I suck at playing friend." She sighed. "...But I guess you're right, they'll think something is off if I don't go." The girl got up and started following the other kids. "See you later, Adalard. We still have much to talk about all this."

The Directors' Quarters were located in the middle portion of the ship - which meant they could easily access their offices, but also bridge, the main hatch and the EVA hangar if needed - and also that they were protected from external attacks by the thickest layer of armour the Noah had to offer.

Alma led the children into her own apartment (minus Satomi, who was lead by her father into the one right in front), not too big but comfortable and tidy. Just as her office, the place was decorated by pictures and paintings of the old days of Earth and also some paintings with religious motifs: among them one from the crucifixion, one showing the hebrew exodus, crossing the open sea, and one that displayed a gruesome battle with men fighting along and against angels and devils - the apocalypse.

Those were the only tense tones in the place, though, hanging from the walls like reminders, and the rest of it showed that Alma really invested herself in having a place she could call 'home' inside the ship.

"Please make yourselves confortable." Alma said to the children after they entered. "Kyou and Ahmed, as soon as your parents arrive I'll take you to your apartments. Ranga, Beverly and Asuka, there's a room with bunk beds that way; I never used it, but luckily there isn't much dust and dirt in the ship, so it's as clean as new. I hope you like it!" She then walked towards the small kitchen. "I'll prepare something for us to eat, you must be starving!"

Satomi entered her father's apartment without much of a surprise waiting for her - the place was the same almost organized mess as his office. There was no decoration to speak of, and it seemed like the only thing that wasn't the standard for the apartments was the computer terminal - clearly way more complex and advanced than your average ones.

"Your room is that way." Dr. Hashimoto said, pointing vaguely in the direction of a door, while he walked towards the computer. "There's food in the fridge. You must be hungry."

Kyou couldn't help but pace nervously. She still hadn't received a message from her parents OR her brother. The prospect of food offered a brief distraction, but the way her stomach was heaving, she wasn't sure trying to get anything down was a good plan. She was tired and still a bit shaky, but that didn't stop the relentless motion back and forth across the room. Some part of her told her this was pointless, that pacing back and forth worrying wasn't going to do anything but degrade her own health, but still she continued to move, almost ignorant of her surroundings. 

Satomi nodded, and went to grab food - she certainly was hungry. She hadn’t eaten since waking up, she didn’t think... she grabbed herself some simple food. And some for her father as well. “You haven’t eaten yet either, have you?” She asked as she brought both plates to a table or other such surface. 

Beverly looked around what would be her new "home". Just like the office it was a bit to organized for her and teh pictures especially the religious one didn't sit well with her causing her to sneer a bit when she looked at them. Hearing that there was a bunk bed she spoke up "Well in that case i'm taking the top bunk then i rather not have to worry about thing falling on my face well i sleep....well at least things from a bed can't do anything if the ship falls apart." She said as she walked over to where the shrink gestured to. "I'll be back to get something to eat once its done." She finished before walking into the room and claiming the top bunk.

Ahmed bowed gratefully at Alma after she had led the five of them to what would be Beverly and Kyou's home for the foreseeable future. And he quietly followed her inside of the kitchen to try and help her prepare the presumably delectable meal she was planning on serving to the...he scratched his head a bit as he tried to think of a name to describe the group with. And after a few moments had passed and his brain had wracked to almost every single combination of adjectives and nouns he could think of. He finally settled for mentally referring to them as the Quixotic Quintet. For there were five of them from the very start (Although he would begrudgingly admit that Asuka would count as a sixth and thus ruin the whole point of this name), and the whole "Making teenagers pilot EVAs to protect the colony" thing was quite quixotic indeed.

Satomi

"... Yes, I probably should eat something." Dr. Hashimoto answered, turning on his computer terminal and focusing into work. His focus, by the way, was something scary to see; the scientist seemed to shut the whole world out when he was serious about something, specially work. It wasn´t like he would ignore Satomi, but she would need to make some effort if her goal was a conversation with her father.

Ranga, Ahmed, Kyou, Beverly

The smell of garlic and the sound of boiling water filled the room as Alma got started in the kitchen. She moved calmly getting the ingredients from different lockers, eventually asking Ahmed for one or other cooking tool. Something about the she moved about and the delicious smell that came from the kitchen were quite calming. 
 Asuka sat down by the dinner table and rested her head on the table with a bored expression. Her eyes followed Kyou´s movements for a while before she sighed and talked again. "You know, if you keep walking like that you´ll end up opening a hole on the floor, and that won´t help in finding your parents.

Beverly sighed and plopped down on the mattress of the bed she claimed the top bunk just like she said she would. Today day was a rather tiring day for fist waking up out of deep freeze, and then the meeting with Dr. Alma and then piloting the Eva she was exhausted not that she would show that to the others especially that Asuka girl something about her bothered Beverly. She sunk deeper into the bed and relaxed, this was also the first time she was really alone since waking up she was use to being alone so it made it easy for her to slowly drift towards sleep. 

However she was shaken out of her almost sleep as her communicator made a sound singling that she got a message growling as she opened it up and looked at it. Luckily for her no one was around to she the drain from her face as she read the Message

"Are you okay? I'm worried i haven't heard anything from you since i was awakened." Craig Connors

Beverly's face scrunched into a very hateful scowl as she simple typed out the word "Parasite" and sent its as a message after a few moments she got another message "Well I see you fine. Just try and let me know if your okay we you can." Beverly's scowl got worse as she tightened her grip on the device, and chucked it to a corner of the room (probably making some noise of some sort) before turning away from where she tossed it and burying her face into the pillow. falling asleep as the exhaustion caught up to her again.

"Do you have anything helpful to say, or are you just trying to get a rise out of me too?" Kyou snapped back, before shaking her head. Her tone shifted to a slightly less hostile, more defensive one. "I'm worried. Am I not allowed to be worried about my family?" Asuka's comment only interfered with her motion briefly; as soon as Kyou had finished responding, she was pacing again. "This is like a bad dream. . ." Everything that had happened today. . . was she just having a nightmare? Was this all just playing out in her head as she tossed and turned in bed?

She could only hope.

14 hours ago, King Murdoc said:

"Do you have anything helpful to say, or are you just trying to get a rise out of me too?" Kyou snapped back, before shaking her head. Her tone shifted to a slightly less hostile, more defensive one. "I'm worried. Am I not allowed to be worried about my family?"

"I am trying to be helpful, you should try to distract yourself instead of stressing that much. It´s not going to help and you´ll be mentally wasted before the happy-go-lucky duo over there finishes making dinner." Asuka said, seriously, sitting upright in the chair. She pondered for a bit and sighed before continuing. "...Though I admit, the way I said it was unnecessary. Sorry about that."

Almost as if on cue, Dr. Neummann came back from the kitchen bringing a bow of pasta with what seemed like Bolognese sauce over it. It smelled delicious, the fragance indicating the spices and herbs she put on it. "Here you go! This lyophilized food is not that tasty, but I managed to season it bit with some things I brought from Earth. Hope you like it!" 

The doctor put the food on the table and told the kids to start eating, going to Beverly´s room right after that. Once there, she quietly picked her communicator from the corner of the room where it was lying (luckily it did not break - those things were quite sturdy) and placed it on a small bed table. After that she slowly aproached Beverly, stopping at a distance she judged comfortable for the girl.
"Anything I can help you with, Beverly?" Alma asked in a gentle tone.

Kyou sighed. "It's. . . okay, I overreacted. I'm just, how am I supposed to do anything but worry right now?" If Kyou had planned on continuing, she was prevented from doing so by the appearance of food. She quietly slid into a seat, worry still spelled clearly on her face - though it was broken up slightly when she remembered her manners. "Mamnūnam. Um, thank you." She prodded at the meal - it really did smell good, and was probably better than what she was used to; neither of her parents were particularly good cooks - but didn't seem to be making much headway in actually clearing her plate.

5 hours ago, Notus said:

The doctor put the food on the table and told the kids to start eating, going to Beverly´s room right after that. Once there, she quietly picked her communicator from the corner of the room where it was lying (luckily it did not break - those things were quite sturdy) and placed it on a small bed table. After that she slowly approached Beverly, stopping at a distance she judged comfortable for the girl.
"Anything I can help you with, Beverly?" Alma asked in a gentle tone.

Beverly did her best to act as if she was sleeping(shes was sort of) after she didn't feel the presences of the Doctor leave she growled a little and turned to glare a bit at her from her pillow. "I'm fine i was trying to get some  sleep and that thing poked me so I got rid of it..not like i need it anyway. I'll get something to eat later." She said before turning back around an burying her head in the pillow once more 

Ranga ran up to the table and excitedly sat down. Her face was a determined expression as she glanced over from time to time at Kyou. Her worries were in turn her own in a way, for reasons that have already been explained. Ranga didn't wanna see anyone else get hurt in such a way. She could relate with the sense of worry all too well.

"T-thank you!" She muttered before looking down at her plate. She would wait for the Doctor to come back before starting to eat. She didn't yet feel comfortable enough around everyone nor in this new place she was supposed to call home from now on to eat without the woman's permission.

Ahmed had walked out of the kitchen just a few moments before the doctor would do the same. And he then seated himself right beside the table before he decided to quietly pray over the meal they will soon be consuming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 5:48 AM, Notus said:

Satomi

"... Yes, I probably should eat something." Dr. Hashimoto answered, turning on his computer terminal and focusing into work. His focus, by the way, was something scary to see; the scientist seemed to shut the whole world out when he was serious about something, specially work. It wasn´t like he would ignore Satomi, but she would need to make some effort if her goal was a conversation with her father.

Satomi takes a deep breath. "You should eat something." she said, a little insistently. "You're going to need to do it eventually, it's probably best to do it now rather than get interrupted in the middle of work, isn't it?"

Kyou, Beverly, Ranga, Ahmed

"Ok, I´ll leave some food ready for you in the fridge." Alma said softly. "Sleep well... and just call me if you need anything, right?" Then she turned around and left Beverly alone - which was probably for the best.

The doctor took a chair at the table and sat down, then pressed the palms of her hands together, praying silently for a moment before she started to eat. 
"Uhmn, maybe I put too few salt in this." She said after a bite. "What do you think?" The day had been pretty stressfull for everyone up until that point, so Alma thought it was best to calm the children with a more normal conversation.

Satomi

"... Sorry, what did you say?" Dr. Hashimoto said, before realizing by himself what it was. "Oh yes, you´re right." He pushed some more commands in his terminal before getting up and sitting by the table, starting to eat quietly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 5:56 PM, Notus said:

Kyou, Beverly, Ranga, Ahmed

"Ok, I´ll leave some food ready for you in the fridge." Alma said softly. "Sleep well... and just call me if you need anything, right?" Then she turned around and left Beverly alone - which was probably for the best.

The doctor took a chair at the table and sat down, then pressed the palms of her hands together, praying silently for a moment before she started to eat. 
"Uhmn, maybe I put too few salt in this." She said after a bite. "What do you think?" The day had been pretty stressfull for everyone up until that point, so Alma thought it was best to calm the children with a more normal conversation.

Satomi

"... Sorry, what did you say?" Dr. Hashimoto said, before realizing by himself what it was. "Oh yes, you´re right." He pushed some more commands in his terminal before getting up and sitting by the table, starting to eat quietly.

While Ahmed honestly thought that the pasta the good doctor had prepared for him was pretty unspectacular, he realized that this was in fact one of the first things, if not the first thing he had eaten in a whole century. And he tried his best to show his appreciation by giving her a thumbs up before he said "It is actually quite good already...although I do think that it could use just a bit more salt...and some grated cheese of course.".

Kyou shrugged. There wasn't much to complain about, from her angle. "It tastes fine to me." Not that she'd taken more than a bite or two. Her stomach was still unsettled enough from earlier that it made eating difficult; she'd had to do her best not to vomit already, though perhaps getting some food down might actually help to settle it. She idly wondered if the other kids might be experiencing it differently because of some cryo-sleep aftereffects or something. It was still odd to think about. . . everyone here was from a century ago except for her. 

On 12/9/2017 at 12:57 AM, Notus said:

Ahmed, Ranga, Kyou

The doctor smiled at Ahmed's comment. "Well, seems like we've got gourmet here! Do you like cooking, Ahmed?"

Ahmed tried to do his best to shovel just a little more pasta onto his plate when he said. "Not really, I mean I had to learn how to help my mother cook back when I was growing up, but I really enjoy eating food more than I like cooking it....". He proceeded to demonstrate this fact by slurping down another bit of pasta before he continued by saying "But what about you?".

On 11/27/2017 at 5:56 AM, Notus said:

Satomi

Satomi started on her own food. Regardless of the quality or lack thereof, she only just realized how hungry she was. She tried to eat a bit slower, but wasn't doing such a good job at that. She didn't want an awkward silence, so she popped a question. "...So, how are you feeling? Aside from... you know. Are you defrosting alright and all?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ranga, Ahmed Kyou

"Oh, me? I'm still a work in progress... I 've always wanted to learn to cook properly, but my studies and, later, my work didn't give me enough time to really try my hand at it. Guess now I have a good reason to focus on getting better, though!" Alma answered with a smile.

It wasn't long after that they heard someone knock on the door. The doctor excused herself and went to answer it. 

A young soldier greeted her and, after a brief conversation, she turned to look at the children over her shoulder. It was a quick glance, but she seemed worried.

"Kyou, Ahmed, could you come here for a second?" She asked in a calm tone. "Asuka and Ranga, could you take some food to Beverly and make her company for a little while?" 

Satomi

"Yes, there are no problems with my physical condition." Daisuke said, almost mechanically. "Although I could have had a better day, obviously." He then looked up from his plate for a change and stared Satomi in the eyes. "You seem to be holding pretty well, considering what happened." 

Kyou nodded, dropping her utensils and standing up, with an apologetic glance between her still mostly-full plate of food and the doctor; wasting food didn't sit well with her, but she doubted the military would wait on her putting the rest in a container and she didn't know if Alma had any spare plastic tubs anyway. "Uh, sure." Not like I could say no anyway. What do they want with me now? An association between soldiers and bad things was rapidly forming in Kyou's mind, and that trend did not seem to be reversing any time soon. Granted, she'd gotten to pilot a giant. . . it wasn't a robot, but that was the best term she had for it, but that was much more horrifying than it was cool.

"..." Satomi took another bite of her food, thinking over her response. "I think... I think that the reality of it hasn't fully set in yet. How long have we been up? Hours? And well... all that happened. I don't think I've had the time to really process it." she adjusted her glasses a bit, and absentmindedly rubber her shoulder where she'd gotten knocked around.