Breeding tips?

Alphagar

I have just recently started working on breeding pokemon trying to get good stats, shinies, etc. I would love any tips or tricks or whatever to help so I can start trading out decent pokemon. I am using a flame body slugma to speed up the process. 

Edited by Alphagar

3 minutes ago, StarryDreamerKitten said:

Everstone for nature

Certian baby pokemin require the vasic stage to be hold certian incenses

Well I didn't knew that :P 

Which mons?

28 minutes ago, S.paul said:

Well I didn't knew that :P 

Which mons?

Marill is a good example and in turn baby Pokémon cannot breed riolu is considered a baby pokemon you should be able to find a complete list on bulbapedia or alike websites

Nidorina and Nidoqueen are unable to breed also anything gender exclusive may breed there counter part as well like Illumise and Volbeat

Edited by StarryDreamerKitten

4 minutes ago, Avria said:

For Reborn, I'd recommend focusing more on IVs than nature. Nature can be changed easily in this game.

Natures are not easy to get/change in this game...

If only there were options for selecting /changing specific natures.

What do you think about this:

@Amethyst

2 minutes ago, S.paul said:

@Amethyst

They can be reset though, which makes them easier to control than IV's.  I think the current system is fair, considering we can't change nature at all in canon games or most rom hacks.  On sandbox, I can understand specific nature changing.  We have to at least work for something in the real game..

When I start my preparations to breed a Pokémon, I folliw this order:

- Egg moves (as they're chained through the parents with those)

- IVs using Destny Knot + Power Item until I get the desired IV spread for both male and female

- Change the nature on 7th Street psychologist (male and/or female, if I desire to breed with more than a nature)

And it's done! You can now use Everstone + Destiny Knot with a viable chance of Egg Moves, IVs AND Nature.

I hope this helps!

-

1 big perk in the breeding is that you can breed pokemons from the same egg group. This means most of the time, you will have a very big list of other pokemons that can breed with your pokemon, that simplifies things when you have multiple pokemons from the same egg group with desired IV / Natures. For instance when you have a fresh pokemon you wish to breed and it doesnt have any good IV's , you can just check if you have any other pokemon from that egg group, give it destiny knot and get the IV's far more easily. 

Sadly this is mostly ignored by majority of breeders, as people often just tries to get a pair of a pokemon in order to breed.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, S.paul said:

@Amethyst

I'm actually not 100% satisfied with the current system since it does encourage soft-resetting and RNG is succ, and I'd rather do something with a bit more deliberate gameplay than that--- but I don't currently have any plans for the matter. It might be a late change. 

2 minutes ago, Alphagar said:

Wow...so many replies. Ty!

Does using ditto to breed effect ivs in a bad way? Also, the destiny knot just needs to be on one of the breeding pair?

Since you can only get a single Ditto, its IVs will nearly always be bad, so you should only use it to breed genderless mons and hope for something good.

And yes, the destiny knot needs to be held by only one of the parents.

5 minutes ago, Alphagar said:

Wow...so many replies. Ty!

Does using ditto to breed effect ivs in a bad way? Also, the destiny knot just needs to be on one of the breeding pair?

No, Ditto's breed IVs the same as any other mon, but in Reborn, you only get one Ditto, so you have to really make sure to soft reset if you want a good IV one (especially one having 31 in any stat).

Yes, just one parent has to hold it to fulfill the effect.

Edit:  Ninja'd by @HUEnd

Edited by seki108

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

I'm actually not 100% satisfied with the current system since it does encourage soft-resetting and RNG is succ, and I'd rather do something with a bit more deliberate gameplay than that--- but I don't currently have any plans for the matter. It might be a late change. 

Why'd you made it random in the first place?

Another tip when breeding: for example, if you're breeding with a 5IV and 6IV parent (Togetic, in this example)

Female Togetic -- 31/31/31/x/31/31

Male Togetic -- 6IV

I have the male Togetic hold the Power Lens and the Female hold the Destiny Knot. This way, the Sp. Attack stat on the baby will always be guaranteed to be perfect.

In other words, hold the power item that corresponds to the most important stat.

Also, when breeding baby Pokemon, be sure to check egg moves. For example, only Budew can get Extrasensory (which means mom needs to hold a Rose Incense to breed Budew). In cases like this, you should be using two 6IV parents to breed Budew. (Mom holds the Rose Incense, Dad holds the Destiny Knot) so the Budews are all guaranteed to be 5IVs.

And then there's HP breeding, which in my opinion is much more of a pain in the neck 😂

If you want to up your chances for a shiny, you should get the shiny charm, apparently.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, FairFamily said:

Why'd you made it random in the first place?

don't remember tbh but probably i didn't want it to be just straight-shot one-and-done. put a little effort into it, you know?

but soft-resetting is so zzzzz i was really hoping people wouldn't just do that but that was naive. 

11 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

don't remember tbh but probably i didn't want it to be just straight-shot one-and-done. put a little effort into it, you know?

but soft-resetting is so zzzzz i was really hoping people wouldn't just do that but that was naive. 

I like the current system it does promote having to work for the IVs you want in most cases

I'm gonna be that guy and just say from all I've played in various rpgs one true fact remains true: people over exaggerate what you really need to do with breeding. Let the pro explain how to enjoy breeding without pulling your hair out or doing what you think you should do.

So first tip I can give is movesets. Good moves are very hard to get so look at its baby moves and see what it needs. Gallade is a pokemon with a good move set however two interesting moves it can learn are shadow sneak and destiny bond. So then you look for a compatible pokemon with those moves such as dusclops and wait for an egg. That's it.

You can invest time working on perfecting pokemon but we're talking like very little boost in power and honestly pokemon is not a very hard game and I'd say even Hardcore is on the average difficulty for rpgs. My average IVs on stats is 10 so I know what I'm talking about.

As for things to watch out for, very low IVs on stats a pokemon relies on like attack and speed for a glass cannon, but low IVs isn't a big deal, but the bigger thing is a hindering nature like modest on a physical attacker. These hurt a pokemon performance and you will start to notice the affects down the line. 16 to 20 is generally good for a stat but it is mostly a 10 to 15 percent difference. Hence why moves are much more important. Good moves can make even bad pokemon super useful. See swalot the game breaking pokemon.

@Amethyst I didn't even know eggs were randomized, but you really can't stop people from soft resetting in rng games unless you take away the save anywhere feature. Look at Radiant Dawn for example. I'd say don't bother unless you can make mons have fixed IVs when the events are generated. Possible, but a bit of work.

These are your unbreedable pokemon most are ledgenaries but it covers all the baby polemon as well along with nidorina/queen

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Undiscovered_(Egg_Group)

These are the pokemon only breedable with ditto

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gender_unknown_(Egg_Group)

I found this link super useful when starting to breed without ditto

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_Egg_Group

And this was somewhat useful

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gender