Hardest Gymleaders

Thiazzi

IMO rankings should look more like this if I really had to put them in order

1. Corey (Gas field) good lord Ame why do you do this to us

2. Shade

3. Shelly (holy shit Ame buffed her in E16)

4. Corey (default field)

5. Blake (does he count? I mean he and Cal are former Leaders and I included Kiki and Corey so may as well)

6. Noel

7. Samson

8. Charlotte

9. Adrienn

10. Aya

11. Terra

12. Ciel

13. Kiki

14. Radomus

15. Luna

16. Cal

17. Julia

18. Flobot

19. Serra

Edited by LordWallace

6 minutes ago, hope4896 said:

Huh?! I'm pretty sure there was one really broken fire type when I fought Charlotte. Or was it some other trainer's?

That might have been Typhlosion. It had energy ball few episodes ago(at least when shofu was doing charlotte)

^Yup. In episode 14 typhlosion had energy ball(which it shouldn't have since it can't learn it) and flash fire which made it insanely powerful. Episode 15 nerfed it by replacing energy ball with solarbeam and it having blaze instead of flash fire. I want to say either it or darma were scarfed at one point too but regardless if they were or not they aren't in the current release.

Charlotte was ridiculous in episode 14. Didn't help 14.1 or whatever had that doubles glitch where you'd send your next pokemon out before the turn even ended :/ You could literally lose half your team in one turn.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

• 2 weeks later...

Noel and charlotte for me. but on my later playthroughs I found ways to absolutely wreck them. Noel can't do anything vs a charge beam magneton and also gets beat much easier if you light the grass on fire. Charlotte gets slaughtered by sandstream hippowdon+rockslide gigalith. They swept her completely. Aya can be tricky but if you have a spikes forretress the wasteland does the work for you and she gets pretty easy. One of the ones I'm not seeing mentioned here is samson always gives me problems because half his team is so darn fast. Never had trouble with ciel though, probably because of my obsession with magnezone.

EDIT: couple people mentioned shade, guess he's pretty early in but you can get a speed boost sharpedo by then which I managed to 6-0 him with.

Edited by Galladiator

All gym battles highly depends on your adaptability on the field and play-style of that Gym Leader. I had heavy trouble with Shelly, Shade and Serra (double battle, before Mirror Field) on my 1st Playthrough.

On my 2nd run, otherwise, I really got a bad time with Shelly (again), Aya and Ciel.

Florinia was very hard my first run (I had a Roselia and a Frogadier, rip) and Corey has been very hard throughout all my runs.

I feel like early-game gym leaders are the hardest since there aren't that many Pokemon available yet. With trading though, this has obviously changed some. Charlotte took a while too, though.

I've been seeing how Shade and Noel are pretty hard, but I'm not sure why. I don't think I've had that much trouble with them in any of my runs. Arcanine and Roserade were good against Noel for my first run, and Speed Boost Blaziken absolutely shrekked him for my second. Shade's Gengar is pretty bad, but the rest of his Pokemon are alright and if you set up before that I think it's fine.

Because I have a heavily balanced team for the most part, most gym leaders don't give me much trouble. However, Charlotte probably gave me the most issues. As at the time I didn't really have anything other than a flygon and vaporeon to fight her. My strategy became to KO and first pokemons fast and get out her rotom, switch into vaporeon and start spamming surf so that all the pokemon had garbage accuracy. Then I switched to my flygon, gave her 2 X-attacks and an X-speed. And started spamming earthquake until all but Rotom died. The second pokemon basically became a healing bot for flygon. I was fairly ill-equipped for her, but I managed to cheese a victory by abusing her field.

At the time I had:
Infernape, Flygon, Vaporeon, Leavanny, Luxray, Gardevoir

As for the rest, I usually had a pokemon that was strong enough to one shot the gym leader's mons. Or I would just use decoys until I could buff the strongest mon I had with items so it could.

My cheese:

1. Noel - Flare Blitz Infernape with Charcoal, he was an issue up until I discovered that.

2. Charlotte - Read above

3. Corey - Had an Espurr at the time, psy all the things

4. Shade - Luxray's crunch really murdered everything there

5. Ciel - Flygon's rockslide and Gardevoir's moonblast. took some setting up though on Togekiss

6. Aya - Espurr again, ended up being her last gym battle before I retired her for Gardevoir

7. Samson - Gardevoir+X-items swept the whole place, wasn't hard at all

8. Radomus - Luxray+Crunch+Infernape with flare blitz = easy life

9. Terra - Leavanny sliced all of her mons up with his crazy high attack

10. Shelly - Monferno wrecked this place with flame wheel/ember, and my trapinch/vibrava with rock slide

11. Florinia - Monferno again

12. Kiki - Espurr was such a good mon at the beginning

13. Serra - Infernape ate her alive.

14. Luna - Infernape also ate her alive. Give x-speed, spam close combat with black belt on.

15. Julia - Easiest of them all, spammed mach punch/flame wheel

16. Adrienn - Trained up a Metagross specifically for Xem. Metagross was like 10 levels lower than any of Xer's mons, and still wrecked face alongside Gardevoir.

Edited by Cyclonegale

Adrienne was kind of challenging but mainly because of that bloody dog with his second field. UGH wtf that thing was a PITA. My team wasn't the best for that fight truthfully(I had two dark mons one being scrafty lol) but no way Granbull should be that beastly.  I really didn't get his second field TBH and I still don't get why fire is negated on it. It screwed me over since arcanine was my best attacker that fight and Megawile is ademon on that field with only one weakness.

Funnily enough adrienne's ace gave me little trouble. 

For me, the most difficult was Serra, with her evasiveness strategy. However, Noel has been a lot trouble for me either.

Julia got reckt by my Charmeleon's Dragon Rage.

Shelly ate My Charizard and Skuntank's fire attacks on a fiery field (her bugs didn't survive it).

Samson got beaten by his own field effect (hello Heracross with Guts and Close Combat).

Ciel has been  totally Metagrossed.

Despite these, Reborn's leaders are pretty difficult in general.

What I had a lot of trouble with was the battle against Noel. Even with a Burning Field and two fire-types to use it, I still had a hard time.

As for Shelly, I see why it can be hard. That's why what I did was use Espurr to Fake Out on her Rain Dance setter. Then I quickly fired off a Flame Burst from the Growlithe I got from the Beryl Ward incident.

Generally speaking, my gym teams are tailor-made for a certain gym with a very specific strategy in mind so I ended up spending lots of time training up ALL my mons in rotation and because of this approach, I have a LOT of them.

Edited by Stryker Gryphus

I'd say all the double battle gym leaders are the hardest. I'm relatively new to pokemon (only ever played Gen1 and 2), so I can't do synergy yet.

I'm fine at filling my team with full coverage against everything, so in single battles, I just switch out whichever mon is the rock to their scissor. I just need to figure out which rocks to bring. In double battles, those scissors are always accompanied by a paper to counter my rock, and I have to adjust the whole thinking process.

That said, I have a tendency to use a lot of steel pokemons, so Charlotte just double pain.

• 2 weeks later...

every leader was equally easy for me because i always change my team to have the best mons depending on the leader.in singles i use only one pokemon to defeat  one of the gym leader's pokemon.so there are 6 fights in one battle.made some big trolls with my sturdy aggron with metal burst especially for mega altaria.and that freeze dry on terra's swagsire was amazing

In my most recent run (just beat Terra) I only had difficulties with Serra, because I wanted to keep her field intact because of the reputation points. 
But all the other leaders were pretty easy.

Meowstic with fake out and misty terrain is just amazing at gym battles.
Contrary Serperior made life quite easy too.

Edited by guidy

I don't get all the Charlotte and Ciel troubles here. Charlotte gets destroyed by Rain Dance alongside any number of rock types that you can pick up, including the Rhydon line and Archeops, and Ciel gets absolutely demolished by a level-capped Archeops (I mean seriously, I went to scout out the battle on her with a reset waiting just in case, and promptly beat her in one go with just Archeops and a little bit of Ice Shard Mamoswine magic). On the other hand, Florinia and Noel gave me huge problems, as I didn't have any good poison types until Scolipede, and I lucked out on Florinia when I finally stumbled on a Hariyama while looking for a Pangoro.

15 minutes ago, PrimeMehster said:

I don't get all the Charlotte and Ciel troubles here. Charlotte gets destroyed by Rain Dance alongside any number of rock types that you can pick up, including the Rhydon line and Archeops, and Ciel gets absolutely demolished by a level-capped Archeops (I mean seriously, I went to scout out the battle on her with a reset waiting just in case, and promptly beat her in one go with just Archeops and a little bit of Ice Shard Mamoswine magic). On the other hand, Florinia and Noel gave me huge problems, as I didn't have any good poison types until Scolipede, and I lucked out on Florinia when I finally stumbled on a Hariyama while looking for a Pangoro.

It all depends on strategy and team makeup which will be hard.  I didn't want to just use Raindance to make it easier, until her first two mons outsped everything but Greninja and proceeded to sweep all my team combinations.  I only won because I broke down and used Rain dance (since I ran out of IV reducing berries after 3 mons).   Would have been easier to do without Rain Dance if I actually had a decent Rock type there, but I never trained one until afterword.  

Noel, on the other hand, was laughably easy to me, and I wondered why he wasn't an earlier leader.

the one (and currently only) gym leader i had trouble with was Charlotte only because of here 2 ninetales with energy ball. it took me 52 heyzeus crust cursed times to win. i finnally won with my flygon using bulldoze and swampert w air balloon using earthquake (and her not murdering swampert first) for me to win. everyone else i either beat the first time or second.

3 hours ago, Jace Stormkirk said:

the one (and currently only) gym leader i had trouble with was Charlotte only because of here 2 ninetales with energy ball. it took me 52 heyzeus crust cursed times to win. i finnally won with my flygon using bulldoze and swampert w air balloon using earthquake (and her not murdering swampert first) for me to win. everyone else i either beat the first time or second.

52 times? Did you just keep trying with the same team that kept getting crushed?

I'd swap out everything after 2 tries.

On 3/15/2017 at 1:15 PM, Sirrobert said:

52 times? Did you just keep trying with the same team that kept getting crushed?

I'd swap out everything after 2 tries.

i traded out my pokes every 3 losses i had. if fact i had to go specificlly catch a trapinch for the combo i was going for.