[IC] TotMV:G2: Servant's Quarters (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

"Uh huh. . ." She idly wondered if she had any of those herself. The answer was "probably," what with the dangers associated with an adventuring life; she'd seen more than one person she considered a friend killed. And sold her soul to prevent another group from getting killed, a group that had totally failed to actually come and scrape her back out of hell once everything was over. That particular escapade was quite the story, all told. "Is there any way to actually help you fix those? I can't say I've ever heard of something like that before." She fell quiet again, thinking for a few moments.

She broke her momentary silence a short time after. "So, wait, you said you can't avoid the heroic choice? What happens if you try to do something non-heroic? Theoretically speaking, of course. Like, if you wanted to steal my purse."

Lexiel considers this for an awkwardly long pause.  "If your purse contained dangerous substances that you were adamant about mis-handling, and it was not illegal in this area to steal it, I could do so.  I haven't cut a purse in almost forty years, though, so I'm probably too rusty to pull it off."

"See that? That right there is exactly what I am talking about.  That isn't your Self Actualized self speaking, that's everything horrible that has happened to you speaking. You desperately need someone to poke around in there and kill off all those rotting and growing knots in your heart, it would probably kill me if I tried to fight even one of the larger ones though.  I'm surprised you haven't already turned into some frothing monster or genocidal madwoman.  There is enough pain in here for 10 of those.  I can't believe someone so emotionally strong could exist."

"But could you just, like, reel back, punch me in the face, and take my purse right now if you wanted to? Please don't, by the way, all that's in there is a couple non-volatile reagents and some gold from my last sale." She frowned. "And I don't think there are laws in the Eternities. Unless there was some grand council that no one bothered to invite me to."

Lexiel looks blankly at Marisa, "If I desired the contents of your purse at this time I would attempt to purchase them from you with some of the gold I have on hand.  I... Oh, that is most odd.  I can conceptualize the idea of someone in this room mugging you, but the moment I attempt to insert myself into this hypothetical scenario it cuts off like someone snuffing a candle.  It...  seems to do the same for anything I would consider conduct unbecoming of an Archangel.  That is so weird.  It's like a circuit breaker for my imagination.  Oh, and I don't think there was a council.  None I was invited to, at any rate.  I'd say it sounds like a good idea, though, except we'd have to invite Nicol Bolas and Sorin Markov or they'd invite themselves, and I'd rather not be in the same room as them.  I think I'd be compelled to try to arrest them, and that would not end well."

"So you can do anything so long as it pursues the Law and Order?  If we don't save the multiverse, Everyone and everything dies, something arguably the worst possible event.  Wouldn't that supersede any possible binding that respects law and order?"

"By this Doctor's Professional opinion, you will probably go completely insane in short enough order if your mind continues being fractured like that. Especially if I can't clear up some of these Knots."

"Huh. Well. That's good to know." She frowned again. "This is kind of a moral dilemma. It's like, the reverse of what I normally do. See, my bindings take something like a demon and force them to obey something other than their natural desires - which vary by the demon, but are universally not good for people. Unless said people are being used as tools to hurt more people. They'd work on angels, too, because the angels of my home plane are basically the same type of being, just with different urges and masters. Well, not quite as well; angels are usually a bit smarter than demons; the few times I've found it necessary to bind one, it felt like wrestling a bear. As opposed to the wolves that most demons are."

"So basically, what I could try and do here is loosen up or misdirect the binding that's stopping you from considering things like that. The problem, I guess, is that I'd technically be doing the same sort of thing that people are afraid will happen whenever I'm around; I'll be allowing a very powerful outsider to make decisions that are, well, evil, or potentially so. Not that I believe you would," she adds hastily. "But at the same time I can't say the situation as-is is something I agree with, either."

"I could also try and untie some of the bonds between your mental and physical states, but I'm not sure that'd actually help. Hell, it might just make it harder to tell if you were closer to Falling, but it also might slow down or stop the process entirely. . ." She glances at Laver.

"How do you fix these things, anyway? From the way you described them, it would be difficult and dangerous for you, if it was possible at all."

"I have to engage in single combat with the Knots themselves, and I can receive no help other than help from people who I have a personal connection to."

"Even then, this does not solve their emotional problem magically, All it does is clear their thoughts of the tangled, confused, and twisted feelings that are clouding their true thoughts on the matter, It lets them truely come to terms with what made the Knot in the first place."

"The largest of her Knots would beat me without much effort at all.  I could probably destroy the weakest of her knots, if only to clear up a few of them, and, if it were desperate enough, I could sever her feelings to certain matters."

His face hardens for a 15 year old.

"This isn't something to be undertaken lightly though. The ramifications of no longer having an emotional connection to something can be drastic  They are what allows someone to act humanely towards a matter. Sociopaths and Psychopaths both lack those connections, in many cases, for example."

Edited by Hal Henderics

"I could consider that the greater good of the multiverse supersedes any other requirements of law and order," Lexiel states, "However, the last time I did that it drove me homocidally insane and I bombarded a heavily populated, urban area with a meteor-summoning spell because it contained a lot of people trying to kill us alongside the innocents.  If Visrii hadn't destroyed the meteors before they could flatten the city, I would have been the direct cause of countless innocent deaths.  One way or another, this needs to be dealt with.  Laver is right about that much.  If I remain in this state, I will go insane.  I do not believe, were I allowed to choose between right and wrong, or even just to prioritize one evil over another, that I would make amoral decisions.  However, in my current state the possibility that I would make poor choices is not one I can entertain.   ...On the positive side, would it make your job easier that I would not be attempting to resist your modification of the binding?  I've never summoned an unwilling servant, but my understanding of the art is that a lot of the effort goes into overriding a struggling subject.

"And please do not cut those until we know more.  ...If what you say is true, Laver, some of those could be my friends.  I do not have very many of those, and were I to lose my connection to them I have little doubt I would Fall here and now."

Edited by DragonRage

"Without that Binding, you could help me overcome your deepest problems.  As it stands, the high-risk trauma in your heart is shielded by an invincible barrier from your own inner development as a person. Do you believe you have the fortitude to fight off your inner demons if you has the tools at your disposal?"

"I don't think we can know that unless I try," Lexiel muses, "But you wouldn't let a physical wound fester.  If it becomes infected and choked with disease, you open it and let it drain.  You release the corruption so it can heal.  I do not know if mental wounds work in the same way, but...  I think I would like to be free.  Or more free, anyway.  I doubt it is possible to completely circumvent my restrictions, and I am not sure I trust myself with that much power.  I don't think I was worthy of it before, so unless getting the stuffing beat from me up and down the multiverse has changed that..."

"Well, I've heard it said that the distinction between bravery and foolhardiness is that if you're brave, you feel fear, you just get over it. There's gotta be some equivalent for doing good, right? Like, I'm not sure if it counts if you're literally incapable of considering evil. Or maybe it does. I don't know, I've never really been a philosopher. Anyway. Your not resisting the binding will help, yes. Actively fighting the one currently on you in favor of the changes I'm trying to make would do more, but that's, uh, hazardous. To you, anyway. So. You've got the facts, just tell me what you want me to do."

Marisa's brow furrows in thought once again. "Say, um. What exactly defines this personal connection you've gotta have with someone? Sounds like you could use some help with all that, but I barely know you."

"Whenever I help someone, usually by curing their Knots and helping resolve the underlying issues, the emotional connection forged grants me a Heartstring from that person, known as an Accord, Like the ones I currently have.  I can only be helped by someone who has an Accord with me."

Laver shows off his Metal Sonic's Accord and his Dark King's Accord. One is a collection of Metal Blue Thrusters, and the other is an Iron Chain, wrapped with old vestiments tangled inside it.

"If we were to somehow form such an Accord, you could join me in combating her inner demons.  Though in practice, It would require us doing some serious talking, and me beating down a few of yours."

12 hours ago, Cronos5010 said:

Mot shook his head after listening to the shy woman speak, and he tried to be as polite as possible when he said "No actually, I was just wondering why this door had been glowing...It's not exactly a common sight isn't it?". The motorcycle flashed his lights at the shy woman as if to prove Mot's point.
He offered her a handshake before saying "My name is Mot, may I ask for your name Miss....?".

"Oh umm......I'm Bridgett....Bridgett Myth....sorry about the glow I didn't realize that it was that bright." Bridgett said while looking down with a slight blush on her face.

"Greetings" a monotone voice chimed from Bridgetts pendent as Mornings Arrow flashed bin it's usual greeting.

" Oh....umm.. this is Mornings Arrow my partner." Bridgett said quietly as the blush got a bit brighter.

Lexiel spends some time considering her options, but only one really seems to be the good one.  "Procrastinating will only increase the damage.  Cutting off my emotional bonds is as likely to make things worse as better.  I think I would like you to loosen my bindings.  I want to be free.  I know it's possible to be happy and be an angel.  ...I'd like to know what that feels like.  And I really like the idea of being able to pick my battles.  It's a rather good thing I don't need to sleep anymore, because I'm not allowed to."

"Huh. So you've just gotta beat up some of my emotional issues and then we can start beating up hers? . . . Do I have emotional issues?" A thoughtful look again. "I don't even know how I would tell if I had them. This is probably opening a can of worms that I don't really need opened, but, uh, you can see those sorts of things, right?" 

She glances back over at Lexiel. "I'll see what I can do. It's going to be pretty difficult to actually mess with magic on this magnitude, especially with how closely tied it is to you being an angel in the first place. Like I said, I don't even know for sure if you'd stay an angel, but I'll try to be as careful as I can. Just, if it does work right, try to avoid any overly large and unformed magical blasts. You know, the kinds with really unpredictable effects? Best case scenario there would be that it'll knock this binding right back where it started. The worst, uh. Well. It might pull on it. Which might unravel the whole thing. Which would be really bad."

Morgan had been silent for most of the exchanges and had sort of melted away into the corner of the room, a bit of a feat considering he was large enough to need to both hunch and turn sideways to get through the small castle doorway.  "Damn, I wish Liana was here, she was always much better with this sort of thing.  But there might be something I can help with." Morgan half thought half mumbled to himself.  Laver would notice a resurgence of power from one of Morgan's knots the is quickly suppressed.

Morgan stepped forward making his continued presence more known and then spoke in a clear voice. "I may not be able to help with any of your deeper problems, however I can see that your halo seems to be wreathed in some sort of corruptive void magic binding it over your eyes.  As a disciple of the setting sun, I specialize in waning, siphoning, and unbinding magics.  I could attempt to undo this magic, and perhaps allow you some clearer vision."

Edited by StormLord

"You were Abandoned a long time ago, and then Abandoned in a much worse way slightly more recently, this abandonment forms two distinct knots, one large, and one small, which are very close to one another, and feed on your new relationships, forcing you to view people through a lens that simply isn't entirely fair."

"Is that a fair assessment?"

Laver says, examining her heart.  Very Clean, he is impressed.

Edited by Hal Henderics

"Abandoned? I, yeah. Well. The first time wasn't really an abandonment, but someone could have spoken up and told the town that I wasn't a demon living in a human body. You know. And the second one. . . hoo man. Yeah. You could say I'm still mad about that all these years." Her face hardened noticeably, the expression looking odd on the normally carefree witch's face. "They just left me behind. I literally sold my soul away to keep them all alive, and they just left me. . ." She side-eyes Lexiel. "I got it back, so don't freak out on me." Her tone falls throughout the time she speaks, getting quieter and quieter, before she clears her throat. "So, uhm, do you want me to go after that binding, or are we going to do this whole emotion thing first?" 

The instant she does, Laver pops like a soap bubble, sucked away to some other frequency of reality.  If she were in tune with that sort of thing, she might notice, and not think he literally just exploded.

Then, as soon as he is gone, he is back again, and Marisa feels different.

"Well, that one wasn't too tough, It was a really old one that was almost gone anyway, I guess."

"Only one more remains. Let me catch my breath and I'll try my hand at that one."

Edited by Hal Henderics

1 hour ago, rustytengo said:

"Oh umm......I'm Bridgett....Bridgett Myth....sorry about the glow I didn't realize that it was that bright." Bridgett said while looking down with a slight blush on her face.

"Greetings" a monotone voice chimed from Bridgetts pendent as Mornings Arrow flashed bin it's usual greeting.

" Oh....umm.. this is Mornings Arrow my partner." Bridgett said quietly as the blush got a bit brighter.

Mot idly waved at the Shy woman named Bridgett's pendant, it was hardly the most unusual thing he has seen, and she didn't seem to be in the mood for questions, although...."If I may ask, what were the two of you doing inside?".