[IC] TotMV:G2: Servant's Quarters (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

18 minutes ago, Nepgear said:

Nyahiro

Nyahiro didn't move for a while, she was sort of hoping Bridgett would get out and help her up and then they could have a sexy embrace. But Bridgett was clearly too shy for that, so she eventually gave up.

"I'm fine!" She said, springing directly from face-flat to standing, "It seems bathing with Bridgett-chan is not meant to be, we shall be together later. Anyways, the food is ready to be eaten when you're finished with your bath. Don't take too long or I'll get cold."

Nyahiro skulked out of the room, closing the door behind her. She dressed herself and waited in the kitchen for Bridgett.

As Nyahiro left Bridgett sat stunned again at her words mulling them over in her head making sure she heard the girl right. "Umm...Mornings Arrow is there away out of here?" She asked very worried "I can not find one My Lady." Sighing in defeat Bridgett finished up bathing and got out and got dressed wishing she had some clean cloths.

Opening the door timidly Bridgett looked around. Seeing what looked like the kitchen Brigett made her way to it peaking around the wall Bridgett said "H-hello."

"Ah, well, I'm glad to hear that. I have many, many questions. I know that magic doesn't comply with certain conventional laws of the universe that I know. But it seems that the extent of breaking laws varies, based on all the different types of magic wielding I've seen today...Anyway does your magic specifically break the law of conservation of energy? Or is it just a highly sophisticated method of manipulating already available energy? That's one of the most immutable physical laws where I come from."

He paused, then, dredging up some questions from his reservoir, spoke again, "It occurs to me to ask who or what created the tomes which you collect? Also, if it takes that much effort for a divination spell, how long does it take you to do what you must to travel between worlds? And...what's Ravnica?"

After he had delivered this new set of questions, he arose, making his way to one of the cabinets. The cabinets were filled with 'groceries', mostly foods similar to what he had picked up earlier, though there were some slightly more perishable items. He grabbed an apple, and was about to return to his seat.

"Oh, wait. Do you want something to eat? It's probably not the best food, but...rations are usually worse than this..."

Edited by Strider

"Conservation of energy? I mean, it lets you do things you wouldn't normally be able to do physically, but I don't know if it breaks that law. You do need there to be at least some mana around to do a whole lot with it, though in a crisis you can use the mana that you make yourself. Seasoned magic users generate more of it, and some people just naturally make all sorts - that's where sorcerers come from, by the way, and why I'm technically not one."

She winced at the question of where the tomes came from, ever so slightly. "They come from, uh, lots of places. Some of them were just written a long time ago, lots of them are made by wizards, that kind of thing. I usually chase the more esoteric ones; the one I'm currently after is supposed to have something good for dealing with liches. Or creating them. One of those two, but either way it should help. . . Technically, traveling between worlds doesn't take all that long, but I usually take my time." She winced again at the mention of Ravnica. "A plane ruled by ten guilds. Few of which are that great to hang around with, though the Izzets aren't bad, I suppose. I had a. . . less than fun time last time I visited."

She waved off the offer of food. "I always eat before I walk between planes. Never know if you're gonna be able to find food on the other side."

Edmond carefully closed the cabinet, and returned to his seat, apple in hand. It certainly wasn't a bad apple, though it did have some minor bruising...

"So mana is the source of magic, huh? Does it vary from place to place, and does it return to people and places somehow after being used? This is all new to me."

He noticed some slight signs...not quite distress, but certainly discomfort. Though his curiousity was piqued, Edmond was uncertain how to broach the subject. She definitely cringed, and she mentioned not having a pleasant time, so it's obviously a bit painful...but wouldn't she have just left that part about an unpleasant time out if she really wished to avoid it? After debating this in his mind for a little, his interest in the subject triumphed.

"Do you care to elaborate about Ravnica, or would you rather not talk about that? If you'd like me to avoid that subject, I've still got one or two questions. Actually...three. What's a lich? I've never heard the term before. Is there any method of communicating between planes without sending a person through the..Blind Eternities? If you can travel fairly quickly between them, there's probably some method of sending a message to someone in any plane, right? You'd have to be able to control where the message ended up in a plane..."

He took a bite of the apple and chewed. It was rather tart, but sufficiently juicy. After he had swallowed, he made his inquiry.

"I hesitate to make the claim, but this might be my final question, at least for the moment. What else can you specifically do? I'm guessing you're not limited to crashing into doors, and determining who's inside a castle?"

He grinned and took another bite out of the apple.

Marisa shakes her head, shooting Edmond a look with a lopsided smile and a raised eyebrow. "You know, I could charge people for this much information. Really, if you've got that many questions, I could probably sell you a tome that'd be at your level of understanding. But, anyway, I'll take this last barrage of questions in order, and then you can tell me a bit about your world.

One. Ravnica. To make a long story short, cops and bureaucracy turned an outing and an inquiry into an unusual item into an unreasonably long stint in jail for something that wasn't even my fault. That explosion was completely unrelated to me. Two, liches. Lichdom is often the ultimate goal of necromancers; they're undead beings that are still capable of casting spells and thinking for themselves after death. Usually, the necromancer does it by slapping his soul into a container that it can manipulate the original body from; this is called a phylactery. Smash 'em if you see 'em, generally - liches aren't usually nice people BEFORE they turn, and afterward they lose touch with humanity completely in most cases. Third, interplanar messaging. Technically possible, hard as hell to actually do. I haven't bothered. 

As for my talents, other than magic tutoring in castle basements and not dying in crash landings, I practice a pretty wide range of magic that's good for survival and combat. My real specialty, however, is summoning and binding demons." She stops, searching Edmond's face for a reaction and subconsciously getting ready to hit him and then sprint away if he blew a gasket.

Damn it. Now I have even more questions...

"I tend to ask quite a number of questions, that much is certain..." He fidgeted, slightly embarrassed. In the past, people had told him that the number of questions he asked bordered on absurd.

"Ha! I suppose one of these elementary tomes might be very interesting, though I don't know what sort of payment you'd want... Actually, gold is probably pretty standard currency, right? Of course, I do have some other metals on hand. Woops...That was a question...Hmm, as you can see, I do a poor job of not asking questions...In any case, I might take you up on that offer."

Though Edmond was fairly certain that she had not been entirely serious, he still had unanswered questions, and this might be an adequate solution. He mentally rifled through his accumulated possessions, trying to determine what might serve as adequate compensation. I've got gold, of course, a bit of silver...I doubt anyone uses magnesium as a currency. I don't know what the composition of the armor shards is, so they're useless...Hopefully silver or gold then.

"I'm guessing liches aren't confined to a single plane, so that's certainly good to know...I'll probably encounter some of this stuff on this mission,"

As she mentioned demons, Marisa became noticeably more tense, almost as though she was worried what he might think of the questionable line of work. Well, it's certainly disturbing...though I don't exactly what type of demons she means, so I can't make many judgements...

"You did mention being a demonologist...and, while I can't say that isn't slightly unnerving to me, there's a kid demon of some sort on this ship, whom I'll likely have to work with. Though of course, he may be wildly different from the demons you work with..."

Edmond leaned back a bit, gazing intently as he tried to determine whether he had alleviated the apprehensiveness hidden in her demeanor.

"So is there anything in particular that you'd interested in learning? About where I come from, that is. There's plenty to tell, but I have no idea what you would, or would not know..."

Edited by Strider

"Gold works. If you've got anything interesting on-hand, barter works even better." Good, he didn't seem to be too bothered by the bit about summoning demons. "I'd give you a good deal, especially for the first time; you guys seem to be up to something important here and the tome I've got in mind has exhausted its usefulness to me. "Chances are, if you're working with a demon, you're either brainwashed or it's very different from mine, yeah. I'd be able to tell if you were brainwashed; they tend not to be too subtle with their compulsion spells, so that just leaves the latter. I hope. Anyway, about your world. . . what's the technology like? Planes without a lot of magic practitioners tend to have better tech to compensate."

"Sure. Give me a moment though."

Edmond left the kitchen, and proceeded back to his claimed room. He rifled through his pack for a moment, and then, not finding what he wanted, grabbed the whole thing and headed back out to the kitchen. He began to pull items out, setting those of little interest, such as food, on the floor. He put anything of remote interest on the table.

"I'm not sure what the going price for one of these is, but I'll see what I have...Hmm, I doubt you want these," he muttered as he shoved his recently acquired chemistry ingredients off to the side.

"Silver...but only two grams. That's barely worth anything...No need for food...Ah, there's some of the gold...no, wait, sorry, but I can't go giving that in particular away...that's six nines...Ah! Here we go. Pretty good purity, one ounce each." He held out one of the ingots for Marisa to inspect.

"Ah yes. I suppose technology would probably be more advanced in a non-magic world...Of course, I expect there would be many integrations of magic into the the tech in worlds like yours...I'll get started. If there's anything you're unfamiliar with, just mention it."

"Hmm, I'll start with space tech. It's been about six hundred years since we first began to explore our solar system. We had our first interstellar missions two hundred years ago. I suppose that we probably had the capacity to do so earlier, but it seemed wise to wait until we had the capacity to send a permanent colony. Propulsion for spacecraft is mostly deuterium-helium-three fusion...details probably don't matter to you, actually... As of twenty years ago, there were some prototype antimatter designs being used back in the Solar System. Photon sails exist too, basically using light energy, probably from a high power laser or the sun, but those are mainly for interplanetary. They're not great for deep space."

Even earlier than that, there had been some rumors of a presumed method of superluminal travel, from back on Old Earth. These had petered out quickly, however, after some rather disgruntled physicists had once again had to explain to the media that such a ship would have to violate either causality or relativity, something no one really wanted to do.

"Weapons-wise, personal lethal weapons have remained much the same for the past few centuries, at least from what I've seen. And I've seen a lot. Using a chemical explosion to launch a high density object at someone at incredible velocity seems to be the way to go, at least for now. Non-lethally, there are some more options. Susan actually had one of the new "Pain-killers"... it basically stimulates nerve endings in the skin to produce pain, but, hopefully, not kill. Though...there have been a few incidents..."

With over a century and a half of peace, there had been no real reason to invest in the advancement of personal armaments. Non-individual weaponry had increased significantly more than personal weaponry, especially on Old Earth.

"Computer tech is actually behind where we could be. There were riots back in the twenty-fourth century...that's three hundred years ago, sorry, and significant defunding for any research programs that aimed to develop, or even just use any form of highly intelligent machine. People were fine with using any device or computer that increased their personal comfort, but unwilling to let AI be used in anyway beneficial to the whole of humanity..." As he spoke this last sentence, the frustration was audible in Edmond's voice.

"Anyway." He sighed. "If you were to split tech into three groups, it would probably be mechanical, computer, and biological. Bio tech has come a long way. Most diseases have been eradicated, or rendered neutral, which is probably one of the greatest accomplishments on humanities long list of questionable deeds. There are outbreaks occasionally, but they're usually quite minor, and easily remedied. Computer implants are available on some of the outer worlds, for a hefty price...replacement limbs are also a thing, and they're pretty good. Miriam has one, and I think it's served her pretty well...there's probably quite a bit of other biological advance, but I'm not terribly familiar with it."

He finished, and glanced at Marisa uncertainly. "I don't really know what you've seen on the planes you've visited, but if there's anything that you didn't understand...possibly due to my habit of rambling, I can try to explain better."

Edited by Strider

Marisa frowns in concentration as she tries to absorb Edmond's explanation of his world. "I think I get the general idea. . . There's a lot of terminology in there I don't understand, though. I've never heard of antimatter, deuterium, or computers, to start. I think I get what you mean about the chemical weapons, though. . . that's guns, right? Metal tubes that you put blasting powder into, and then they fling a little piece of metal out the end. . ." She pantomimes this with one hand going forward, as if to demonstrate her understanding. "I've run across them a couple times, but I don't think I'd ever trust one over a bow or a spell. Hmm. . . I don't suppose you've got a book that would explain things in a more digestible form? That'd be a fair trade."

Edmond grimaced.

"I'm sorry...I don't really have anything like that. I didn't really expect to be here, and I was summoned while I was asleep, and...well, there are a lot of reasons why I don't have a book like that. I suppose I'll just have to try to explain as best as I can..."

He mentally sorted through what he had attempted to explain, trying to sort out key words that might not be familiar. There were quite a few.

"Alright, let's see...you really don't need to know what deuterium is...basically interstellar ships mainly use a miniaturized version of what happens in a star with slightly modified 'ingredients'. Antimatter is basically...actually, I'm guessing you don't have any knowledge of atoms..."

He paused a moment, then spoke again.

"Ignore my last sentence. So in my world, everything is made up of atoms. The word itself comes from some ancient people called the Greeks, and it is meant to be the smallest subdivision of matter, which is basically anything physical. Atoms make up everything, and there are many different types. About...," here he performed a quick mental check, "...ninety-six are important. These are the elements, and include some of the things discovered by ancient scientists called alchemists. Of course some things that the alchemists thought were elements, such as water, were actually combinations...in any case, there are things called atoms. Atoms have smaller parts, which doesn't make sense for them being the smallest building blocks, but that's how things got named. These smaller particles can completely disappear when brought into contact with certain other similar particles, the antimatter I mentioned, and release all of their energy. You've seen the energy in gunpowder before? Most of the gunpowder is still there afterwards, as ash or smoke. When all of the mass is converted into energy, a single charge of gunpowder has enough energy to decimate a city. By utilizing the power of converting all the substance of something directly into heat and light energy, certain ships can be propelled." He hoped he had been clear, or at least somewhat coherent.

Hmm. How to explain a computer...alright, I suppose I don't have to go too far...

"So you know lightning of course, and you've probably received a static shock before. Computers are basically extremely complicated machines that send electrical signals throughout themselves. They follow rules, so that when one signal is received, another is sent, or stored. Over a long time, extremely complicated machines have been built on foundational rules of how these electrical signals move in a machine. Some have become so complex that it seems that they can think for themselves, and may even be considered alive, because who knows, they could be conscious. All we really know is that they act close enough to being alive that it doesn't matter whether they are or not. Computers can be used for a myriad of things, including communication and running machines."

Edmond was far less certain about this explanation. Computers were a complicated subject that had developed over centuries, and gained a branch of science all to itself.

"In summary, just think of the deuterium and antimatter as very useful fuels for traveling, and think of computers as more or less sophisticated thinking machines. Though I do hope you understood some of the other stuff I said. I can explain more, if you'd like..." He trailed off.

"I suppose at some point it might be a good idea to pick up a book to explain such things in a straightforward manner...I'm sorry that I don't have one now, though I'll try to get one somehow...Anyway, what would be a fair price for your book? I'm incredibly eager to read it."

Edited by Strider

"So. . . you basically have miniature stars for powering your ships, which sail between worlds instead of over the water. And there's a kind of matter that, if it touches other matter, turns into a ton of pure energy? Does it have to match, or can it be any kind of it? I wonder, if I could find a spell to create some of that, I could get something even more efficient than the Eternity Beam. . ." She seemed to be sketching out some sort of plan in her head already, before Edmond continued his explanation.

"Oh, thinking machines. Yeah, I get that, you just use electricity instead of magic to run them, right? I've never bothered with golems or anything, personally; usually I have the issue of things thinking too much already, I don't need to go making more things that are going to be wandering around and getting me into trouble. But, you use them in everyday life? Huh. I wonder what you'd even use them for all the time. I guess they'd probably be able to look through a library or something for you, or maybe just remember all the information you'll need. . . Interesting.

So, book prices. Hum. Well, do you have anything that'd be worth trading for this?"

Apprentice's Tome

Name: Apprentice's Tome

Description: A moderately-sized book with a yellow and black color, with a self-depreciating title, intended to teach the reader the basics of magic. The spells within are tuned to require relatively little energy from the caster; as a result, they are somewhat weak, but can be cast by a novice.

Type: Weapon

Damage: 1d4+SYN

Minimum Stats: N/A

Weight: 0

INT Bonus: At INT=4, the user can cast Magic Missile in place of a basic attack, which deals 10 damage and cannot miss. At INT=6, it allows the user to inflict 6 burning damage for three turns instead of attacking. 

Beginner's Charm: This weapon adds half the wielder's INT to their SYN, but only to a maximum of a +4 bonus or 5 total SYN, whichever is lower. 

Cantrips: The wielder of this can produce a variety of minor magical effects outside combat, provided they take the time to study.

"About antimatter: Every particle has an inherent property called charge. It can come in varying quantities, and in positives and negatives. Like charges repel, and unlike attract. To get an antimatter reaction, you need two particles to be the same in type, but opposite in charge. And that's probably an accurate enough idea of computers. They can also, quite literally, compute stuff, like mathematics, or advanced optimization problems. They do sometimes store information, and just make certain things easier, by consolidating that information."

Edmond contemplated his meager belongings. His most valuable were probably the high purity gold, his watch, and his welder. Marisa seemed to have little interest in the gold, probably wouldn't want a watch, and probably could not make use of an arc welder. This trade's probably doomed to failure...

"Well...Again, I don't know what a good price, or a good trade would be...The most valuable things I have on my person would be the gold, my watch, and my welder."

He carefully set the aforementioned items upon the table.

"You did mention gold being acceptable...the watch is about twenty years old. Far advanced of your tech, but I doubt you'd find any use for it. Same for the welder. Though I've had to use it as a weapon, it's mainly a tool, and requires a fair bit of training. What do you think?...I'm sorry that I don't have anything better to offer."

He sighed. I suppose I might be able to pick something of interest up along this journey, but there's no guarantee of that...

Marisa eyed the offer on the table. Surely, the watch would get her the most mileage - clockwork was valuable even if one had magic, simply because it took expertise to produce and worked even if there was some sort of antimagic field present. Though, was this one made of clockwork. . . ? Then there was the gold. Good, hard currency, useful basically anywhere. Not particularly interesting though, and besides, she'd stacked enough cash up over her career to get her by. The welder, though. . . "What does the welder do, exactly? It joins things, judging by the name, but what things exactly? Metal? And how?"

Oh. This had not been the item Edmond had expected Marisa to take interest in, nor was it one that he had really wanted to part with.

"Well, basically it uses a high amperage electrical discharge inside the body of the machine, the plasma from which is expelled out the nozzle at high velocity."

He gestured to the nozzle, a small gun-like apparatus with a shielding parabola and a tube running back to the body of the machine.

"This box here is the power supply, and contains many of the electrical components. That's pretty much the whole of it. Basically it creates a ton of heat using electricity, and can be used to join or cut metal. It's quite useful in my profession...Though I've been using it as a weapon, that's not really a good idea...and I really need to pick up some nice goggles. This thing is able to shield most of the glare, but if you're not careful, you could blind yourself for a few hours..."

Edmond had been hoping to be able to find a better weapon as soon as possible, and then relegate his welder to its proper function, as a tool. He wasn't even certain that he would be willing to part with something that formed such a fundamental aspect of his life.

"So yes, it basically joins metal or cuts it with electrical power. You could use it on other stuff like stone, but on certain substances it would probably not work, in the case of certain ceramics, or completely incinerate the material, in the case of plastics. I take it that you're probably not interested in the other items?"

Edited by Strider

On 2017/1/29 at 11:36 PM, rustytengo said:

As Nyahiro left Bridgett sat stunned again at her words mulling them over in her head making sure she heard the girl right. "Umm...Mornings Arrow is there away out of here?" She asked very worried "I can not find one My Lady." Sighing in defeat Bridgett finished up bathing and got out and got dressed wishing she had some clean cloths.

Opening the door timidly Bridgett looked around. Seeing what looked like the kitchen Brigett made her way to it peaking around the wall Bridgett said "H-hello."

There was a modest meal on the kitchen table. It seemed perfectly normal, although hamburgers and rice seemed like an odd combination.

"Come, sit." Nyahiro beckoned from her seat at the table, "I made lots of food for you."

Nyahiro avoided mentioning that she had attempted to leave while Bridgett was in the shower and the door hadn't worked. It seemed like there was something happening outside that was preventing the dial's meta field from connecting to reality. In other words, they were stuck. Nyahiro didn't really mind being trapped with Bridgett, but she didn't exactly want Bridgett trapped without access to supplies. That sounded like setup for a tragedy, not a lovey-dovey romance.

Edmond seemed reluctant when the welder was brought up. "You don't actually seem to want to part with that, so tell you what; I'll take the watch, and let you have the tome, if you promise you'll have something more interesting to swap down the road. Sound good? I'll be able to track your group down, don't worry. You kind of, uh, stick out. A lot. Giant flying castle and all."

Edmond laughed nervously.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Take some of the gold too, if you don't mind. And, I will make certain to pick some stuff up. Anything in particular, or should I just use my best judgement?"

He handed over the watch, and pushed one of the ingots towards Marisa. Edmond then carefully put all of the unused goods back into his pack.

"Actually, I should explain a bit about the watch. It's a hybrid of sorts between analog and something called an atomic clock. The physical apparatus is mainly for back-up, and for a bit of antique flair. The specifics of an atomic clock aren't really that important, but it should be exceptionally  accurate. Also, there are a small selection of electronic sensors that can be accessed with that small knob on the side. Most useful will probably be the compass and vitals monitoring, mainly just heartbeat, blood oxygen, and pressure. Believe it or not, it's pretty minimalist where I come from."

"Anyway...you said you'll come check up on how we're doing from time to time? See how we're doing?" He smiled and stretched his arms.

Edited by Strider

Marisa pushed the book toward Edmond over the table, collecting her watch and her gold and storing them in a pocket. "Use your best judgement. Magical artifacts, old technology, rare books, that kind of thing. Or new technology. Either way." She was about to continue, but before she could, a certain interruption took place.

The ship rumbled, with the engines groaning audibly but not deafeningly as they had previously, announcing the hodgepodge craft's arrival at their first destination. A familiar voice crackled to life over an unseen intercom. "Cid here. Once this piece of shit stops moving you should be good to walk around. Mostly. None of the nasty stuff from between worlds likes to hang around. Just remember to get back into one of the safe zones before you launch again." It was now time for those going to explore - and possibly save - this world to leave while the rest moved on; the group would be back once their missions were complete.

(You are now free to move between zones, or leave on a subplot. However, please only make ONE move.)

"Anyway, you hold onto that. I'm going to head off, check the rest of this place out."

Marisa leaves for the Throne Hall.

Edmond obtained Apprentice's Tome

"Thanks again, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out. It was a pleasure to meet you."

He took the book, put it in his pack, and arose. He closed the door to his claimed room, and began to search around the castle.

Edmond heads to the Engineering bay.

Edited by Strider

Bridgett sat down at the table and placed some of the food in front of her. An awkward silence was in the room as she picked at the food. When Bridgett was about to say something the door to the room opened up and a person who Bridgett didn't know popped in and asked if they wanted to go help people a lot of people and then left.

Bridgett looked at the girl whose name she still didn't know and said with a smile "we should probably go with him, my brother always said you should help people in need." She got up and waited for the girl as well before leaving then room.

Bridgett leaves on the Return to Rio subplot.

Edited by rustytengo

NYAHIRO

Nyahiro frowned at how poorly things were going. This wasn't what she imagined at all. She didn't really know how to make it better. She put on a smile and cheerfully followed after Bridgett-san, shutting the door and grabbing the Dial behind her.

Nyahiro follows Bridgett to Return to Rio

• 3 months later...

Vora sat on the floor of one of the servant quarters, working to hack into her own computer. she had a bit of experience with allowing her device to work offline, but that usually only worked if the device was already on and logged in. Finally after trying many times to log into the device offline, Vora was looking at the holographic screen she had been waiting for:

S53oYpr.png

Translation:

Spoiler

Caution
Booting your device in this mode may cause problems.
Continue
[YES]              [NO]

after selecting 'Yes' the device goes dark, then brings up the user interface.

"Wonderful, now, how many program on this damn thing still work?"

After a few minuets of searching, she found all the programs that still worked, and put shortcuts to them in a folder so they were easier to find next time.

• 4 weeks later...

A popping sound, a burst of fire, and a faint odor of sulfur announce a familiar face's arrival in the Servant's Quarters. Though, said face was not careening through the air this time - simply skidding a bit before coming to a halt. "Whew, alright, that was mostly okay. Wonder if that Edmond's around still. . ." Marisa says as she looks about.

Bridgett returns to the castle and looks for the room she was in before that the weird girl had her in. Not able to find it she just enters an empty room and sits down and pulls out a bunch of empty cartridges. Picking one up she clasp it in her hands and closes her eyes concintrating as a glow is seen in her had as she fills the cartridge up with magical energy. Once she done with that one she pick up another one and fills that one up and so on so forth until she gets interupted or something else happens.