[IC] TotMV:G2: Servant's Quarters (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

Edmond supposed that it could definitely be considered mild banter, without residual hatred. Much of the tension that he had been experiencing, due to his concern about the two's mutual enmity, and due to his inability to really help. But that was gone, as success was really all that mattered here. The first thing that Edmond did, after the two women shook hands, was look towards Laver, and speak a soft, "Thank you." Whether Laver could tell that this gratitude extended was for the change that had been wrought on both Lexiel and Marisa, in addition to the simple fighting of knots, edmond was uncertain. But he filled his words with that gratitude, and hoped that the boy, so experienced in matters of the psyche, would be able to understand.

He turned to Marisa.

"Well, I think I owe you something. We could sit down somewhere, and discuss that? I think I have something that you might like, even though our visit was to a world of guns. You expressed a distrust of them, if I recall? Due to lacking in reliability?"

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Edmond supposed that it could definitely be considered mild banter, without residual hatred. Much of the tension that he had been experiencing, due to his concern about the two's mutual enmity, and due to his inability to really help. But that was gone, as success was really all that mattered here. The first thing that Edmond did, after the two women shook hands, was look towards Laver, and speak a soft, "Thank you." Whether Laver could tell that this gratitude extended was for the change that had been wrought on both Lexiel and Marisa, in addition to the simple fighting of knots, edmond was uncertain. But he filled his words with that gratitude, and hoped that the boy, so experienced in matters of the psyche, would be able to understand.

He turned to Marisa.

"Well, I think I owe you something. We could sit down somewhere, and discuss that? I think I have something that you might like, even though our visit was to a world of guns. You expressed a distrust of them, if I recall? Due to lacking in reliability?"

Edmond would notice the distinct sound of several books being forced to do something they were never designed to do before spotting shaped clump of books approaching him, and an open door. You recognize it as the rather odd looking man in a silk robe sitting on a floating throne of books calling himself "Solomon". Today Solomon appears to have let some other books carry two shopping bags for him by somehow creating an entire floating platform of books for said shopping bags.

He waves his right hand at Edmond before moving the floating platform containing both shopping bags over to Edmond somehow. "Pretty much everything you wanted, if you wanted a pile of miscellaneous machine parts that that just might work properly with the system you have on if you try really hard, but you should be able to make it work man, I actually believe in you".

He glanced at Lexiel's direction for a moment, and he looked at the boy and the woman he didn't recognize, and shrugged his shoulders before getting off of his book shaped throne to extend a handshake to the closest stranger around, a dark blue haired female Wizard who seems to have a fondness for ancient grimoires. "My name is Solomon, may I ask for your name Miss...?".

"Yeah, guns have this awful habit of jamming or exploding when you don't want them do." The woman glances over at Solomon, visibly cringing. "Marisa. Please stop abusing your books." Turning back to Edmond, her expression turns more neutral. "Anyway, yeah, if you've got something interesting I'd love to check it out. Oh, and despite the joke I do appreciate the offer of more healing, Laver, but there's some things that just don't settle down right unless you let them sit naturally for a while."

Edmond gratefully accepted the shopping bags from the floating pile of books. It occurred to him to wonder how Solomon had managed to get through door to the room. With his somewhat relaxed position on his throne, it was unlikely that Solomon had simply conjured his throne after entering the room--which also would have been utterly pointless. Edmond put it out of his mind for now, and glanced into the shopping bags: a collection of small antique hard drives, a collection of small odd looking panels with wires stick out of them for multispectral imaging, a set of wires connected to a central module--a security system, a small drive that Edmond knew would contain an encryption program, a small item looking like a tape recorder, and a collection of random electronic items (wires, transistors, capacitors, resistors, batteries, etc.).

"Thanks, Solomon." Edmond glanced awkwardly between Solomon and Marisa. "Soo...uhh...yeah, this is Solomon...I think I've mentioned him to you..." Edmond hefted his shopping bags, remembered the number of things he was currently carrying in his backpack and strapped onto him. He walked over to the door, and turned around. "I need to drop some stuff off in my room...as you can see, I came into the possession of far too much. If you want to talk to Lexiel some more, stop by when you're done, alright? I can tell you about our first mission, and figure out what repayment you'd like." Edmond paused a moment for acknowledgement, and then headed down the hall to the room he had claimed earlier. He set down his shopping bags on the bed, the same with his backpack and gun, before beginning to sort out the contents as he waited for Marisa.

Edited by Strider

20 hours ago, rustytengo said:

Bridgett perked up a bit after the large explosion of magic happened. Though when Mot asked her the question she looked back at him a bit embarrassed.  "Well a Cartridge is well this." She said as she held up what looks like a bullet casing with no bullet. (I f Mot can feel magic he would feel magic from it.) "I store some magic in them and then i can use then to give my spells more power if needed. It has helped a lot i think anyways. Though there are some strong people here as well." she said with most of her blush fading . 

"My Lady has done quite well." Mornings Arrow chimed in once more causing Bridgett smile. "Thank you. You have done quite well to.' Bridgett replied happily

Mot carefully examined Bridgett's cartridge from a distance, and he acknowledged how she really did seem to be the wizarding type. He didn't manage to figure out what kind of magic was in it, but it seemed powerful enough.

"Where did you learn to store magic anyway?".

Not Mot

Solomon shrugged his shoulders before slowly turning to leave from the room. "Nah man, it's fine, not like I'm spending any money you didn't earn.".

He stopped to glance vaguely at Marisa's direction for a moment

"Eh, it's all just the same Jane Austen book, that one book about battles written in Hebrew, and a slightly charred odd draft of an already odd book.". He left the room immediately after saying those parting words.

1 hour ago, Cronos5010 said:

Mot carefully examined Bridgett's cartridge from a distance, and he acknowledged how she really did seem to be the wizarding type. He didn't manage to figure out what kind of magic was in it, but it seemed powerful enough.

"Where did you learn to store magic anyway?".

Bridgett tilted her head to the side and took a moment to respond.  "Well its nothing really special its part of just learning to be a mage. Especially on who has the Cartridge system installed on there device. " She said a little confused. "Umm...is it that unusual to be able to store magic....its been a common enough thing from my world for a long time."

Edited by rustytengo

The Heart Doctor, huh? I wonder how such a thing works...Acadamy's got nothin' on these folk!

Melina approached Laver. "Hey, I heard you got a talent at seein to people's problems. Say, can yah tell me how it works?"

"I can see people's hearts, and their heartstrings, which are cables connecting people who have emotional connections with one another.  If someone's Heartstrings become tangled and confused, they can turn into a knot if put under tension.  Knots are emotional entities that feed off of your twisted emotions, pretending to be the thing you once felt for, and warping into a twisted and emotionally charged caricature of them... Usually."

"I kill these knots with my Heartstrung sword."

Laver shows his weapon, something that looks more in place in a wal-mart toy magazine than being called a weapon, it looks to be made of plastic, with a white cable currently wrapped around it.

"That cable around my Heartstrung Sword is an Accord, A physical Heartstring, I get these by making emotional connections with people, by doing my job and helping them."

"Interesting. So you...literally kill emotional problems? An' get physical manifestations of...emotional connections?"

So much of this could help Stravaga, huh? Well, with the Ios getting more and more haywire, probably should fix that first. But damn the Gods if this ain't serious business!

Melina briefly thought of mentioning Visrii. But...considering the scale of trauma, it could be safe to say that she should not tempt fate.

"I don't kill the problem, I just make it so that the person can actually think about how they feel.  Knots are what happens when someone is under so much stress and confusion that they feel emotions for an idea of someone that isn't real.  Like if you made an enemy of someone, and forgot that they were a person too.  I can kill that corrupted entity, allowing them to decide how they feel about the thing they are really connected to."

"I won't say it is wrong to have emotional problems, It is simply my job to help when those problems break people."

"So s'long as they have clear idea of where they goin', they don't have no Knots, huh?

And these 'Knots'. How dangerous are they? Ain't it dangerous for a guy to face em alone?"

He's doing his job...no...it's too dangerous...

"I can bring people with me to help with the operation, so long as I have an Accord with them.  It depends how powerful the Knot is.  Without my help, it takes nothing short of a miracle to cure a knot by yourself.  The most likely results of a knot are always the same."

"Either the knot eats its way back to the persons heart, and they become consumed with the corrupt emotion that they feel, and become the very Knot that was plaguing them."

"Or they cut ties."

Laver leaves the last line hanging implicitely

"Well, the ones that he hit in my head left Marisa look like someone went at her with a poleaxe," Lexiel points out, "So I'd expect there's a fair amount of danger involved in dealing with them."

Melina stood there awkwardly, completely conflicted on how she should stand on this.

It was either she mentioned Visrii and risked the Heart Doctor in lots of trouble...

Or on the other hand, if such a treatment did work, Visrii might become less conflicted...

Do it for Reuvin.

"Well...Doctor, I have this friend o' mine. A guy with red hair, named Visrii of Kyosis. He's seen...some things. Done a few things that kinda made him a little messed inside. I think it's pretty dangerous, so I guess it would be a little bit hard to unwind him...but, yah think yah could help with a few of the lesser Knots?"

"Oh, I know him!  He's a good man.  We just had a mission together," Lexiel shares, "He saved a lot of innocent lives, and me a lot of regrets.  He's also a jaded, grumpy edgelord who acts like his life has sucked even worse than mine.  Maybe it has.  I doubt it, if only because I'd like to think my past sets an extraordinarily low bar."

"Oh? You met him?" Melina said with an unspoken question of 'did he try to kill you?'

"Well, he's a little spikey most of the time. That's why I'm askin' for a little smooth-out."

And you should have met Reuvin...well, none of y'all wouldn't have believed it if you wasn't there to see it.

Marisa heaves herself up; she'd slumped against a wall again, still feeling rather worn out. "Anyway, I took care of what I wanted to. It's noisy in here, so I'm gonna find somewhere else to sit for a second. Chase me down if you need me." The witch readjusts her hat and walks out the small bedroom with an inexplicably large number of people in it, and heads down the hall to Edmond's room. She pokes her head in. "Ey. You had a story to tell?"

"Certainly. Come on in." Edmond, smiled, then gestured towards one of the stools that seemed to be part of the standard furnishings for room, and then towards the end of the bed, motioning for her to choose a spot to sit.

"The story...", he began, his expression growing darker, "I'll tell you about it in a moment...I need to thank you again, with the utmost sincerity, for helping Lexiel. I was hesitant to bring it up, but it needed to be done, and I'm glad you were able to put aside enmity for the moment. What was it like, with Laver?...You know, it's rather odd, don't you think, that someone you knew got summoned for this mission? I would think that out of all the multiverses, the chances of that would be pretty low...could be just a coincidence..."

"So, our mission took place in what seems to have been Solomon's home world. I suppose that's probably the beginning of the problems..." Edmond stopped, obviously remembering something. "Do you have some way to detect whether I've been mentally affected by demons or other magic of the eldritch variety? I'd appreciate if you would check that before we continue. The place seemed to have quite a few disturbing entities; I suppose that's to be expected, it being Solomon's home after all..."

Edited by Strider

"Alright, right this way." Melina said, and brought Wyvis on comms. "Wyvis, I got a... Heart Doctor comin' your way. Yah got maps now?"

"Acknowledged Melina. And yes, I've managed to acquisition directions in this castle."

Wyvis leads Melina and (possibly Laver) out to the Throne Hall. 

"If there was an overt possession going on, I could tell - there isn't one, by the way - but corruptive influence is something that I have to get pretty intensive with. And the last person I did that with exploded. She got better though." Marisa smiles, before her expression fades. "And, yeah, I wouldn't trust that guy. He's greasy. And not in that 'street-vendor-with-the-great-meat-pies' way. Anyway. To get to your other question, I saw some stuff from Lexiel's life, and then the last thing punched me repeatedly after punching all of my demons. Which was tons of fun, let me tell you."

"Ouch. That can't have been fun." Edmond tossed a capacitor onto a pile of similar ones, and grimaced.

"The first thing that happened was our group appearing in the middle of an alleyway, back in twenty-first to twenty-second century Seattle. It's a city, one that apparently existed both on earth back in my world, and in this world. Hmm. Before I continue though, I should give you an overview of our little team: there was Lexiel, of course; Izumi, the priestess who removed the Phyrexian oil; Visrii, a mercenary with a rather short and violent temper, Halley, a robot; and me. There were others, but they're of lesser importance to this account. The first thing we heard when we arrived was sirens--they're...well, they in effect do the same thing that a police whistle would do, alerting people to get out of the way, and letting a criminal know that they've been detected--so, not a very good sign. We managed to avoid local law enforcement for the most part, and, after Lexiel tried to help some addicts, put out tickets for parking violations, and fought some other police with Visrii, we made our way to a club. We were given our assignment on this world, to infiltrate the Aztechnology Arcology, a huge corporate pyramid building filled with civilians, a private army, and some form of cult. We needed to enter, and make our way to the basement, where we were to destroy a book capable of summoning a trespasser. It certainly wasn't a simple task, but I was confident that we could do it, seeing as we were supposed to be the heroes the multiverse had summoned." Edmond shook his head, clearly vexed by even this early part of the story.

"The first task was to obtain a SIN, which stands for Serial Identification Number, I believe. You have spells to identify people, I suppose? Well, here they have technology which scans retinal patterns, fingerprints, facial features, gait, and even DNA--that's the code that determines the structure of humans--, and matches all the information to a database. If someone was detected without a SIN, it would be seen as incredibly suspicious. And... I suppose, here's where I made my first mistake. We had to decide who would have a SIN made for them based upon their features, and I didn't volunteer. Visrii, Lexiel, and Halley were the ones who went to see the man who would make a SIN. I should have forseen the consequences, when Visrii began to speak about torturing the man to get the SIN, as though it were an object. Meanwhile, I foolishly decided to visit a church." He clenched his fist, but as he was facing away, it would be unlikely that Marisa would notice.

"I can only give an incomplete version of the events, since I wasn't there, but apparently, the man, Councilor Armstrong, who was to sell us the SIN, decided to increase the price a bit, for a few reasons: Partly due to our being inexperienced, partly due to the amount of cover up work he would have to do to get a new SIN into the system, and partly because he could. There was no one else in the city who would have helped us. So, Halley, the robot, felt ripped off apparently, and decided to shoot the man. I...Afterwards, she said it was because he was a crook, and had ripped us off...but, the damage was done. My companions escaped, but the councilor survived. Within hours, everyone except me had a warrant out for their arrest. Certainly better than having all of us wanted, but I could have prevented the whole thing by getting the SIN for myself. I did one thing right, though, I suppose. I got into contact--with Solomon's help--with the councilor, and expressed my sympathy about the recent assassination attempt, and tried to gain some favor with him. In any case, the next morning we all met up back at the bar. Please don't ask why...I know it was a stupid thing to do. We questioned Halley about her actions, and Lexiel was prepared to hand her over to the authorities, when Izumi brought up that insidious thought. That we couldn't do that, and must forgive Halley for the greater good of the mission. I'm sure, especially now, that you can probably see the problems with that argument, and what's coming."

Edmond turned to stare at Marisa, to see if how she would react. We're the heroes of the multiverse. Our survival would be the greatest good possible, and we could justify killing every person in that damn world in order to kill a single trespasser. And, some would feel that we were justified in doing so...

"So, that's when Lexiel began to change appearance. I missed it, and didn't see what it was; my second great mistake." He sighed. "Police raided the club, and most of the team fled. I didn't flee, knowing that I wasn't wanted, and that perhaps I might be able to gain more favor with the councilor if I revealed some seemingly useful information to the investigators. I was arrested though, for carrying a certain weapon." He gestured to the shotgun leaning at the end of the bed. "Through a...complex series of events, it turned out that the councilor knew that I was allied with those who had tried to kill him. He was one of the people who had hired us. I suppose he was probably happy to see that one of our team could actually keep a low profile, and try to make friends. I made it out with some pecuniary rewards, and another nice gun." Edmond pulled up a metal briefcase, opened it, and showed Marisa the parts inside, and how they could be put together into a weapon. " After that, I met up with Solomon, who was completely drunk, and another employer. They supplied me with this suit, and sent me into the pyramid after my teammates who had already entered...Flying is really rather nice, I suppose. I'm not unused to the concept of a flying set of armor back in my world, but I never used one... I made my way through the pyramid, trying to find the others, and trying not to kill too many people. I found them when a comet storm fell through the roof above me."

"I don't know how many died...Quite a few certainly. Lexiel was almost at the point of madness now, and would have dropped another storm in order to supposedly help the mission? But Visrii stopped it somehow. At this point, it was realized that the Phyrexian oil was in her. Izumi extracted it, Visrii burned it, and I talked her down off the ledge." Edmond's pace noticeably picked up at this point, as though he just wanted to be finished the story. "We got to the basement, and destroyed the book, and got back here. And..oh god." Edmond went silent for a moment. "I-I..."

"You...remember how I said that my teammates were all wanted? When they were on the run Halley made a deal with someone named Deus , to disable the cameras that were tracking them, in exchange for doing something in the arcology. I don't know what it was, but I received word in the Arcology that Dues was planning to destroy the building within an hour. I'd... I'd forgotten about that completely. He named terms, but I don't think he would have stopped even if they'd been fulfilled. The Arcology is probably a smoking crater right now..." Edmond didn't know whether or not to ask Solomon. He'd just respond with a sarcastic quip...

"I'm sorry. I was just planning to tell you the story. I'd completely forgotten..." Edmond's eyes went slightly glassy as he stared unseeing at the piles of stuff on the bed. He shook his head, then looked up. "Thanks for listening. Well, I think I owe you something, right?" Edmond stood up, and picked up the shotgun to hand to Marisa. It probably wouldn't be obvious, but he might not have been able to stand without the help of the power armor. "I bought this at the church I mentioned, and a demon is bound to it. I thought you might find a use for that...since, well, it is a demon. And the gun technology is probably very advanced compared to what you've seen...It's been a long time since guns became more reliable than bows. Here's some other stuff, if you'd like. Electronics might be interesting to you...this too..." Edmond pointed to the pile of essentially radioshack items he had bought, along with a pair of mechanical legs that he had salvaged from a battle. "And there's this of course. These are some of the ashes of the book we burned. I don't think you'd have a use for them, but...maybe you have some spell that could make sure the ashes aren't too dangerous?" Edmond pulled out all the items he had mentioned, and a few more: the shotgun, electronics parts, broken mechanical legs, and the multifunction gun. He seemed to be moving and talking a little quicly, perhaps to distract himself a little from the horrible revelation he had had.

Edited by Strider