Pokemon with levels +100?

Tartar

So far every "Superboss" have had a level of 75, but with the latest gym we've surpassed that level. So the next superbosses will perhaps be at level 100. But in time we too will reach that. So I'm thinking, will there are some point in the game be Pokemon with level above 100?

Edited by Tartar

i hope we don't reach a point where pokemon suprass lvl 100. I saw that in pokemon zeta-omecron and it was bad. i hope it doesnt happen here too

I'm curious why you think that was bad. I felt it was a little unneeded in Z/O but it DID serve a purpose, to allow the devs to make the game longer without compressing the leveling curve in any way. What was the real downside other than making leveling new mons slower?

But I do agree that I would don't think things will go past level 100.

Remember, we've the privilege of talking about Pokemon Reborn, where PULSE machines are most certainly ripe for future super encounters. We've all seen what it can do to an Abra. Wonder what would happen if a Garchomp were to hop in one?

The game has directly foreshadowed what happens when strong Pokemon enter a PULSE machine already. Perhaps there will be an arc where desperation trumps ration and we're faced with an uber Pokemon in a PULSE.

Why not? Do you think its lazy game design to just add more stats, or is there some other reason?

An alternative would be to simply give every single trainer Battle Items, lots of potions and give them perfect IV's and EV's. Though this does the exact same thing. Adding more stats to the Pokemon. So what's the difference between these two options?

i hope we don't reach a point where pokemon suprass lvl 100. I saw that in pokemon zeta-omecron and it was bad. i hope it doesnt happen here too

Why it was bad? maybe you just didnt like Z/O in general so that ticked you off too?

As i picture it, it would make us mess with the game more, Since if you finish the league with level 100 and there is postgame story, you will do it without improving your team anymore.

Increased level cap would solve that.

I think Ame tries not to surpass that cap. There are plenty of other options as stated above (like being even more sadistic with PULSEs).
With the current level cap and the next gyms left, I think we'll reach the lvl 90- or 95-cap after the last badge, and the league being all lvl 100s.

I might be a little worried what's really left to do after that, if our mons reached max level through the league, supposedly the hardest challenge. But the devs know better what they're doing than I do, obviously.

Yea for some reason i didn't like the zeta-omicron level cap increase. Can't really put my finger on it why though

Oh and also i belive that the upcoming PULSE battles are gonna be either double battles or battles where the trainer has a full team because Ame and the other people working on the game have probably noticed our abuse of the Perish Song tactics and seeing that they tend to try to make the game more difficult it only seems logical to make PULSE battles into full team battles

The only Poke that would probably get above 100 is a summoned, PULSE Arceus, and even then it's probably going to just be 100. Any other challenge could be done by dramatically increasing stats/type change. Still, 18 badges is a lot of badges so who really knows.

• Support Squad

When you get to level 100, that's when the complete competitive setups come out to play. There's not really a need to go past when the fights can get harder regardless of levels.

I remember in a previous episode that PULSE abra was level 100, and people kinda didnt like that because of the level difference.

I personally liked it when PULSE abra was lvl 100, it gave a nice refreshing challenge that forced me to think outside the box.

I think that maybe within 1 or 2 badges from now, we will start to see lvl 100 bosses, considering our pokemon are around the llvl 75 range at the end of e15 it isnt an impossiblity to fave lvl 100 pokemon.

EDIT: also like what dobby said:its not about the level of the mon,, but its moveset and how you can defeat it.

When you get to level 100, that's when the complete competitive setups come out to play. There's not really a need to go past when the fights can get harder regardless of levels.

AI will never match a thinking player now anyway, but true enough.

I do remember a long time ago Ame said that going above the level cap wasn't exactly out of the plans, since she said something along the lines of: "I'll raise the level cap if i have to."

However, considering all the levels she downgraded already, I'm going to guess she isn't too keen on the idea anymore.

Still, a secret level 255 Arceus boss could happen, who knows?

~

First of all, I feel like these types of questions could just be asked in the development AMA instead of being new threads.

That said, no plans for pokémon over 100 since endgame content is level 100 to begin with.

the point is (mine at least) that raising over 100 lvl is BORING!!!! i dont think anyone will enjoy his time by lvling over 100. In the other hand by keeping 100 lvl its more interesting because you gonna have to be more strategic on your dessicions (and i dont think the reborn battles in 100 are gonna be easy so that adds on the last point)

Still, a secret level 255 Arceus boss could happen, who knows?

That's what I was thinking of, as soon as I clicked on the thread. lol

Still, that wouldn't harm if a few bosses or aces were to exceed the lv.100 limit. But letting the player cross this limit is unneeded, in my opinion. In fact, I'm only at the 10th badge, my foes being already around lv.70, so the lv.100 isn't that far... But the last levels ain't easy to reach either.

With a full team of EV trained pokemons lvl 70+ I sometimes have hard times beating the clown in Agate Circus (whose mons are 10 levels lower), because they have perfect IV, EV and nature, the best items (choice items, life orbs), and competitive movesets. So a strong pokemon PULSE boosted could easily be hard to defeat even without exceeding the lvl 100. Don't forget that for now the pulses were only weak mons like Tangrowth or Swalot...

Yea for some reason i didn't like the zeta-omicron level cap increase. Can't really put my finger on it why though

Oh and also i belive that the upcoming PULSE battles are gonna be either double battles or battles where the trainer has a full team because Ame and the other people working on the game have probably noticed our abuse of the Perish Song tactics and seeing that they tend to try to make the game more difficult it only seems logical to make PULSE battles into full team battles

My guess it's because of the lack of content in the 100+ areas. By the time your mons reach level 100 they're already fully evolved and know the best moves available in a game, so aside from gaining stats there's no major change for a mon when they level up. If a dev would bother to add 100+ mons and moves then this wouldn't really be an issue.

• Administrators

The above is why I've been resistant to the idea.

At the same time, the AI is never going to be smarter than a human, so once the playing field is leveled (hah) then chances are it's going to get easier than the end of the game should be. That's what I meant before, when I said that "I'll raise it if I have to." Right now I'm thinking I'll be fine as long as I limit trainer battles.

Nonetheless, even if I skim under level 100 in the main story, that's going to make post-game really stagnant. Accordingly, I was considering making the main story's level cap stuck to 100, but then after clearing the game it would increase. I think this would make a lot more room for post-game stuff, and can still be satisfying with it being understood that it is strictly a 'bonus' thing.

This isn't settled. I'm very interested in others' thoughts on this approach.

The above is why I've been resistant to the idea.

At the same time, the AI is never going to be smarter than a human, so once the playing field is leveled (hah) then chances are it's going to get easier than the end of the game should be. That's what I meant before, when I said that "I'll raise it if I have to." Right now I'm thinking I'll be fine as long as I limit trainer battles.

Nonetheless, even if I skim under level 100 in the main story, that's going to make post-game really stagnant. Accordingly, I was considering making the main story's level cap stuck to 100, but then after clearing the game it would increase. I think this would make a lot more room for post-game stuff, and can still be satisfying with it being understood that it is strictly a 'bonus' thing.

This isn't settled. I'm very interested in others' thoughts on this approach.

The only alternative to raising the cap if you run out of room to advance the power level of new trainers and gyms is to go back to the beginning and shrink the various gaps (i.e. make the cap without any badges 15, and so on). If we're gonna hit 100 by the time we walk through the door to the Elite 4, then they're gonna struggle to have any edge on us whatsoever; and if we don't, we're gonna be stuck at the same level for multiple Gym Leaders as we finish the rest of the badges.

For a game THIS long and intense, it would make sense to increase the level cap (as long as new moves aren't added and they're simply stat increases), and set everyone's level exactly the same when it comes to online battling. That way we can advance against increasingly difficult foes, but we'll won't have all that stat inflation messing up our metagame. :)

Well, you could always make teams with more than 6 pokemon or more than one megaevolution to make it harder... (still waiting for the Amaria&Titania double battle on water surface... why not )

Not a good idea. The problem with raising the level cap above 100 is that it means changing one of the fundamental mechanics of Pokemon. And yet it's just changing a 100 by a 150 or else that don't drastically change the game. However, if you start using more than 6 pokemons or more than one mega evolution, you still change the mechanics but with much more impact. So better raise the level cap

The only alternative to raising the cap if you run out of room to advance the power level of new trainers and gyms is to go back to the beginning and shrink the various gaps (i.e. make the cap without any badges 15, and so on). If we're gonna hit 100 by the time we walk through the door to the Elite 4, then they're gonna struggle to have any edge on us whatsoever; and if we don't, we're gonna be stuck at the same level for multiple Gym Leaders as we finish the rest of the badges.

For a game THIS long and intense, it would make sense to increase the level cap (as long as new moves aren't added and they're simply stat increases), and set everyone's level exactly the same when it comes to online battling. That way we can advance against increasingly difficult foes, but we'll won't have all that stat inflation messing up our metagame. :)

Leaders with different strategic teams heavily boosted by field effects ? 5 of them so that you can't just bring a full team of rock and electric types against the flying one for instance ? Yeah, no way it can be tough :P Up to now gym leaders never had pokemons of higher level than ours, except sometimes their ace. Yet many people still struggle to face just one of them. So I don't really think the league would need a raised level cap.

The raised level cap would rather be post game, to keep the feeling that you're getting stronger. At the beginning we had no TM, no items, no powerful pokemons like Gyarados, just weaklings. Then they started to earn levels, getting stronger by evolving, getting new moves for their natural movepool, we also started to have better mons. Then we became stronger, with good mons, fully evolved, and so we started to get good TMs, even better mons or the items to evolve them (like 10th floor of department store in E16 to get protector, magmarizer, etc). Now we should begin to have access to the best items like choice items or life orbs. Then mega evolution. When the mega evolution ? Before or after E4 ? I would say before, but then we'll need something else to keep getting stronger post game. The question is what. Raised level cap is one possibility, but surely not the only one and probably not the best one since we won't get new moves or evos with increased levels anyway. The problem is that I have no idea of what else can be done