Pokemon with levels +100?

Tartar

• Developers

As mentioned by others level cap above 100 didn't feel right in Zeta / Omicron because nothing changed except for stats. And I'm not a fan of moves the pokemon couldn't learn otherwise. With that in mind I'd like to try the post game with lvl 100 cap and all trainers with full lvl 100 teams so that each battle could be threatening. I can't be sure how that would turn out in the real game but I'd like to see it.

The above is why I've been resistant to the idea.

At the same time, the AI is never going to be smarter than a human, so once the playing field is leveled (hah) then chances are it's going to get easier than the end of the game should be. That's what I meant before, when I said that "I'll raise it if I have to." Right now I'm thinking I'll be fine as long as I limit trainer battles.

Nonetheless, even if I skim under level 100 in the main story, that's going to make post-game really stagnant. Accordingly, I was considering making the main story's level cap stuck to 100, but then after clearing the game it would increase. I think this would make a lot more room for post-game stuff, and can still be satisfying with it being understood that it is strictly a 'bonus' thing.

This isn't settled. I'm very interested in others' thoughts on this approach.

I'm normally not a fan of messing with established game mechanics (like the Level 100 cap), but...

...I hope you raise the level cap for NPCs to 120 while keeping it at 100 for players. :Kappa:

(In the postgame, of course)

I'm normally not a fan of messing with established game mechanics (like the Level 100 cap), but...

...I hope you raise the level cap for NPCs to 120 while keeping it at 100 for players. :Kappa:

(In the postgame, of course)

I've been keeping quiet about this, but I do plan to use something like that for Hardcore. Only one mon will hit 120 (unless people really want to see a level 9001 Lunatone), but most will be in the 100-105 range. That's not something I pulled out of my butt since it's merely adding 5 levels to CoM per episode. I still need to work on the level 100 cap problem (I mean there's a solution, but a clunky one), but that's for another day.

I feel like levels really should go beyond 100 in the post game for opponents, but not players. Here's my problem with increasing the players level cap: it'd mean spending more time leveling Pokemon up instead of pushing forward or doing more post game stuff. I mean yeah players will want to skip all random trainers unless they train a couple new mons up or hit the cap, but that's not what people are after in a post-game. There's a crap ton of quests and things to travel all around Reborn so being able to cut time to explore it will do wonders. Though I too am curious how people feel about above level cap enemies.

I've been keeping quiet about this, but I do plan to use something like that for Hardcore. Only one mon will hit 120 (unless people really want to see a level 9001 Lunatone), but most will be in the 100-105 range. That's not something I pulled out of my butt since it's merely adding 5 levels to CoM per episode. I still need to work on the level 100 cap problem (I mean there's a solution, but a clunky one), but that's for another day.

I feel like levels really should go beyond 100 in the post game for opponents, but not players. Here's my problem with increasing the players level cap: it'd mean spending more time leveling Pokemon up instead of pushing forward or doing more post game stuff. I mean yeah players will want to skip all random trainers unless they train a couple new mons up or hit the cap, but that's not what people are after in a post-game. There's a crap ton of quests and things to travel all around Reborn so being able to cut time to explore it will do wonders. Though I too am curious how people feel about above level cap enemies.

I say go for it! I love a good challenge that requires skill to overcome, and fighting against the odds like this makes the victory so much more fulfilling. You really feel like you've earned it, like you've accomplished something truly grand.

Edited by Foamy

I might be a bit biased coming off on judgement, but in Zeta/Omicron the reason I disliked the raised level cap so much was the bland storyline. The devs stretched the level cap beyond 100, and it seemed like it was just dragging out a boring game even longer than necessary. I think if an increased level cap was implemented here, it would make much more use out of it.

I doubt this will be a problem with Reborn considering the extremely enticing plot and gameplay, but I can see the concern.

i have mixed feelings about the idea of pokemon for the player going over 100

i mean on one hand it does stop teams from getting bland for abit but then again it could make alot of post game content trivial because once the player beats all 18 gyms and possibly even the champion beaten all pokemon will listen to him/her/xyr (is this the right one for that or is it wrong or misspelt?) so to mash through post game one could just grind till they hit the cap whatever it could be after 100

IMO i think most of the players pokemon should have a cap at 100 and i stress "most"

maybe post game if we are cleaning up the remains of team meteor from the bottom of our shoe we encounter Arceus and he has a level higher than 100. I feel only Arceus should get a boost beyond level 100 because lets be real here, he is the pokemon world god so why should Arceus be bound to a meager 100 level cap? but other than that no other pokemon should break the 100 cap for the player because they arplebs compared to Arceus Kappa

NOW NPCs having pokemon over level 100 go for it, like lets go fight each of the gyms again and all of them have their pokemon ranging from 110-115 and their ace being 120. Let Fern catch up again with levels and have an actually decent team with EV spreads and all at about 130 for each pokemon?

Because in the end we all love pokemon reborn not just for the story, but also for the fantastic puzzles like the rock hoping one on route ,2 and also because of how painful it can be at times due to it being a legitimate challenge and deep down we are all masochistic inside

I never went that far in Zeta/Omicron. I tried two times, every time it made me start another run of Reborn before the 5-6th badge xD. But I don't like the idea of PNJ with pokemons lvl 105-120 while yours can't go higher than 100. It just feels too unfair and illogical.

When you face Solaris on top of Pyrous mountain, against his lvl 75 Garchomp while your own pokemons can't go higher than lvl 45, it doesn't feel too unfair. Not because you can beat it using FEAR or Perish song, if he bothered sending a second pokemon you wouldn't stand a chance. It's because you know one day you'll be strong enough, and even the leader (you don't know about Lin at that time) of Team Meteor you be able to defeat you. And this day indeed happen, you beat him and his lieutenants, almost easily. But if you face opponents with pokemons lvl 105 or even 120, this time you know you can't be that strong. Of course you're a human player against a rather stupid AI most of the time so you're probably going to win, but still. To me it feels like cheating, unfair. Unless maybe if it's a legendary, but in that case you're probably able to catch it

And it's also illogical since when you're at this point, it means you're the champion, the strongest trainer of Reborn. You stopped the team who destroyed Reborn and was going to destroy the world and that none other seemed able to face, you probably met Arceus, maybe even caught, you faced the E4 and the champion and defeat them. And now you face trainers who suddenly get so strong you can even reach their level ? Isn't it a bit strange ?

I'm not sure if lvl 100+ pkmn will be very benificial for both player and opponent. For the player there is no advantage unless you have different lvl caps depending on the pkmn, but that could become complicated and can ruin pkmn "balance" easily. For opponents I feel that they can be used to make little shifts in difficulty if the lvl difference is low like 2~5 lvls. However beyond that it can easily create a feeling of unfairness. Another issue to address is that pkmn is a game with a variaty of mechanics. These mechanics allow to create a variety of strategies. Some off these strategies are more resistant to the lvl of the opponent pkmn then others: for instance focus sash/perish song doesn't care at all for the lvl of the opponent same with endeavor donphan. Other strategies can even use the strength of the opponent pkmn against them and other pkmn. Copy the pkmn with ditto and wreck them with their own power. Leech seed heals depending on the health taken so if the pkmn has more health due to the higher lvl then you will heal more. Some would call it cheesing I call it good use of mechanics and should be thought of.

Edited by FairFamily