How do you guys feel about insurgence?

I've played insurgence up until the first gym and it's kinda boring. Is it one of those games where you just have to get past the boring beginning and then it gets really fun?

Edit: So just meh? hm :/ I only got it because I watched shofu play it and it looked like fun. I'm really not in it for the story, although the creator does seem to have put some effort into it, but it's just pretty boring gameplay wise.

Edited by AquaLucario3

Plot wise, Insurgence is nowhere as engaging as Reborn. Graphics wise, it looks really well made, and is one of the better parts of the game. The issue with Insurgence, is that I really don't care about what happens to the characters, they're all one dimensional. I had to slog through most of the game, but can say that it's easier than most of the other fan game that are out there, and is definitely better that Omicron/Zeta. Frankly, I don't think it really gets any better, but does have a couple of great moments like catching your first Delta or getting Mega Evolution.

I do agree that the plot needs cleaning up, and the characters aren't as engaging as Reborn's are. But Pokemon wise? It's a ton of fun, I had 3 delta pokemon on my team and they were fun to work with! The plot would be great, it just needs a few quirks here and there. The soundtrack is great though, and it's a fun escape from the regular Pokemon games :)

While it isn't as great as Reborn in terms of plot, the storyline is decent (and a big step up from Zeta/Omicron) and the characters, while not as engaging, aren't that bad. Still, it's a very nice game, with great graphics, many cool features like the secret bases, Delta Pokemon, and new Megas, and it's pretty challenging when you play on Hard Mode. It's definitely one of the better fan-games out there, imo.

It's not a game you really play for the plot or for overall difficulty (at least compared to the likes of Reborn). It's mainly for refined gameplay features, and is one of the very few handful of fangames that has some sort of online functionality.

Insurgences storyline can be good depending on how you determine it. the idea though and origins of delta pokemon (even though that delta species cards existed before insurgence and thats where they got the idea from) is cool the storyline could use a bit of a fix up here and there but yeah as I said before basically the storyline is good depending on how you determine it (or if you like fake hokages)

Like the others have said it's got nice graphics and cool features. But honestly I haven't gotten past 5th gym. It just hasn't really pulled me in and I can't find the motivation to keep on. I did like that they had a Mega Flygon added as a fan mega though. I'll stick to Reborn honestly.

you guys atleast finish the demo till the last one, the story plot is awesome and dark (plz tell me you picked dark side) differently cant wait for the next episode, which ill be checking right now...

is it me or does the writing feel more juvenile than reborn, despite how camp reborn can be?

The use of the word cultists seems jarring to me.

yeah. and the quote at the beginning...

I've never managed to get past the first gym leader. chlorophyll ivysaur with sleep powder+solarbeam...ugh.

I really badly want to get further, tho, I really want to try out a team based around the new shadow weather they introduced with Mega Delta Charizard and Delta Roserade

Also I'm pretty sure that we've got them to thank for introducing Delta Mons to fangames

I thought the story was great. Sure, it wasn't as exciting as Reborn, but it is still better your average Pokémon game.

The thing that did bothered me with the story, was how so many people had access to a legendary Pokémon. I understand that the reason for it is to give you a bit more difficulty when it comes to defeat a NPC that has a legendary on their team. I just felt that it was a big too much. Usually, an "important" NPC would have 6 pokémon, one being a legendary, another being a mega-evolution and/or delta Pokémon. Showing off the different "types" of Pokémon is great and all, but the legendaries lost some of their sparkle that makes them special. They are called legendaries for a reason.

Also, another thing was how one NPC said "The legendaries doesn't agree with what the person, that they are following, wants to do to the world". Then WHY in the world do they follow these people?! Darkrai was seen leaving the leader of the Darkrai cult without any problem what so ever. It's not like the legendaries are forced to join the powerless humans.

Edited by Lilleen

Insurgence is cool but there are some things that don't fit well...

1) Buildings (especially in a very serious occasion). Every time you enter any of the NPC's house, you see boring NPCs with, by default, happy time music.

2) Pokemon capture events. Most events are very anti-climatic, unemotional and the music does not change.

3) In depth characterization of NPCs. I can't understand, relate nor reflect on some of these NPCs if they are not sensible enough.

4) The feeling of being needed. Not many NPCs are encouraging nor entertaining to the player... it's like nobody notices or appreciates your presence.

5) The things you do after the current version. Yes, you get to search for available items, pokemon and events but it gets boring. Maybe its the music?

6) Entering a city for the first time. Why is it always the music? Also, some NPCs are just plain rude for your welcoming.

7) TV and other non-interactive objects. The purpose of a TV is to get a Rotom but a TV can be used differently to entertain the player. Same goes for boring objects. I do appreciate that their library has some interesting read but that's it, really.

8) Plot. Already answered by others.

Frankly, the main thing going for Insurgence is the Pokemon. It has fascinating Deltas and neat new Megas (although most of the megas for canon mons they have are fairly useless and most don't even see much usage compared to the likes of Mega Delta Charizard or the insanely OP Mega Flygon, which destroys everything). Storywise, Insurgence is kinda dry. It's a little slow to pick up and the routes in between towns are mostly barren and take away from the overall experience, with the exception of Hidden Grottos which are designed to basically force the player into exploring the whole route in hopes of finding one. Balance wise, it's hilariously wonky. The mystery gifts are put it in without consideration of balance and some are insanely good. Like the current one, a Delta Munchlax at max Happiness, ready to evolve into Delta Snorlax, which has access to Thick Fat. That's available once you reach the first town. You can have that before you even chose your starter Pokemon.

I like certain aspects of Insurgence, like the Deltas, but most of it is fairly lackluster in my own opinion because there just isn't much to hold your attention. You have easy access to grinding and ev training right after the first gym, as well as most cannon mons (with HAs!) via Friend Safaris. The story is predictable and there's a lot of dialogue that's just forgettable because it comes in massive chunks.

• Developers

Insurgence is actually a really great game in my opinion. It's graphics are nice, it's fun to play and it's packed with features. I just wish it had a better plot to go along with this. It's plot had a really strong start but unfortunately it kind of dropped off a bit.

I love the game. In my opinion, its one of the better fan made games. It is not too hard, but has a few twists and turns and all and all, is a great game. To really enjoy insurgence, i recommend you not compare it to reborn. Reborn is dark, twisted and malevolent. Insurgence is just supposed to be fun, with a bit of a darkish story. I do admit the story is lacking a bit in depth, but other than that, i find it fun to play!

• Developers

I love the game. In my opinion, its one of the better fan made games. It is not too hard, but has a few twists and turns and all and all, is a great game. To really enjoy insurgence, i recommend you not compare it to reborn. Reborn is dark, twisted and malevolent. Insurgence is just supposed to be fun, with a bit of a darkish story. I do admit the story is lacking a bit in depth, but other than that, i find it fun to play!

I agree with this 100%.

Agreed.

Reborn and Insurgence are two very different games made on different premises, as you said it yourself: Reborn is more about creating a challenging and darker Pokémon game directed to adults. Insurgence, while still having a dark story, is more about creating a game that is fun with neat changes that people always have wanted (removed HM, new mega-evolution for those who deserved, but didn't get, etc.)

I don't know why the comments agreeing with you are upvoted while yours isn't, so let me fix that.

Also, kudos for being one of the few people in this topic to actually adress your opinion on insurgence as its OWN game, rather than having to compare it to reborn to even talk about it. If you need to compare any game to reborn in order to state your opinion on it, you're not talking about the other game, you're just talking about reborn through the other game. Besides, the same way people here say "well, insurgence it's decent, but it's not reborn", anyone in the insurgence community can say "well, reborn its decent, but it's not insurgence", so when it comes down to answering the question on this topic's title, I find comparison rather pointless unless the OP would have expressly said "I like games in the same style as reborn" to give a startpoint.

I personally like Insurgence for the pokémon more than anything. Pokemon are the reason I play pokemon, I'm a collector arcehtype of player. If the story and characters are good or deep or whatever well even better for me, but as long as a pokemon fangame can introduce its own, new, fresh ideas or twists to the creatures of the franchise, be it through fakemon or new megas, deltas, or whatever, then that's a game I'll enjoy. Delta charizard, mega miltank, mega flygon, these make insurgence worth for me, plus I'll never forget my team in the final battle against mega rayquaza at the end of ep 1. It has flaws here and there like all games and always depending on the beholder's eye, but overall I say is a fun experience. A shame they take so long releasing content, but generally their updates include more than 1 or 2 gyms, so all the better.

• Global Mods

Insurgence has amazing features. Delta Pokemon, secret bases where you can buy level trainers, being able to trade and battle online, items that replace HMs, etc.

Story-wise, I find it weird that groups openly calling themselves cults would have such large followings. You don't get people to join a cult by going up to them and saying "Hey, you want to join our cult? We terrorize innocent people in the name of this legendary being we worship!" You have to give them a few vague bullet points that sound reasonable to the average person and gradually expose them to the true nature of the cult over time so that they don't even realize when it starts getting intense because they were guided up the staircase one step at a time instead of suddenly being thrown right at the top.

• Global Mods

I stopped playing after the second gym. The level gaps early in the game are so huge, yet you have very little options when it comes to grinding. I loathe grinding in the first place, so the lack of level-up spots doubles my pain.

In the town just before the second gym, you can buy a secret base where you can buy level trainers, who use Audino with level multiples of 10 with the highest you can use depending on how many badges you have.

In the town just before the second gym, you can buy a secret base where you can buy level trainers, who use Audino with level multiples of 10 with the highest you can use depending on how many badges you have.

The problem with level gaps / pacing of the game still remains. If I want to use, say, Clauncher in my team (they're about level 18-20 iirc) I'd have to train it 7 or more levels before the hideout is available, since there's a rival battle in that town. After that I'd have to train it more before the gym, where the level cap is 35. Keeping my team as evenly leveled as possible and at the same time as high-leveled as possible became too much of a chore for me.

But really guys, rate insurgence on how it is as a game, not how it is like Reborn. The creator did not design the game to be like Reborn. The creator had his/her own ideas for a fan-made game, so don't bring it down with the image of Reborn.

But really guys, rate insurgence on how it is as a game, not how it is like Reborn. The creator did not design the game to be like Reborn. The creator had his/her own ideas for a fan-made game, so don't bring it down with the image of Reborn.

Not true. I remember Suze saying once at the start of this project he wanted to make something similar to Reborn. In fact, quite a few fangames follow a bit in Reborn's footsteps due to how well of a system it is (limited Pokemon, lack of money/good healing items, no TMs, and most importantly 6 Pokemon on a team) for a challenging Pokemon game.

However, it'd be hard for me to judge Insurgence because I haven't played it and due to Reborn being my favorite fan-game just for being so fairly unfair. Due to that, I have a warped impression of both games (that and I didn't like Zeta) I don't think Insurgence is a bad game at all though.