Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Double Day Update: Double Artwork Edition!

To finish off Vivian's Family, here is Vivian's Mother and Father: Mira Vance, and Leon Vance.

both_by_rialynarts-d9ojgjs.jpg

To complete the set, here is Vivian and Fiona:

commission__fiona_vance_by_rialynarts-d9

commission__vivian_vance_card_cg_by_rial

Now, I am sure you are wondering: Why isn't you art in Sugimori style like all the other fan-games out there? It's because I prefer the more anime oriented style that you see above.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Sure was not wondering that , although it does catch the eye that they don't look pokemon game artsy at all. I would have a hard time picturing their sprites in-game since they do look like they have a lot of..detail on them

Their sprites would be down-scaled to fit the game accordingly. I could manage all the detail in their original design, if my game leaned towards the 64x64 style that a few fan-games have nowadays, but I prefer the simple 32x32 style sprites, because the limitations bring ingenuity in their designs. Nova, the person who makes my sprites, had a hard time with the Pokemon riding sprites, but managed to find a way to fit all the detail into a 32x32 space, which is impressive :D

Of course, I could have everyone have highly detailed sprites, that are 64x64 or higher, but then I'd have to change everything in my game XD And I don't even know where to get 64x64 tiles or sprites made XDD So, their sprites will be down-scaled to be more like Vivian's :3

Edited by Dylanrockin

Update: Pokemon From the Afterlife Optional Boss #1 and #2

Throughout the game, there are optional boss Pokemon that are named. Any named Pokemon you encounter is MUCH stronger than it's normal Pokemon counterpart. There is a side-quest throughout the game that involves Zangetsu, and no, I never watched Bleach, I just thought the name suited it just fine XD If there is a better name, that would be cool for you to tell me, since I am still not liking the name :3

The first time you encounter this Pokemon is inside of the Aliquam Cavern, once you unlock both Vivian and Krista; afterwards you go back to the Aliquam Trail and you can find him in the back of the cave.

The second time you fight him requires you to have gotten to the point where Krista unlocks her Hidden Potential, and you must defeat a really difficult Trainer. Getting to Zangetsu 2 requires Surf, which is given to you once Krista unlocks her potential.

The third and final time you fight him won't be revealed until later ;D

Anywho here is the video:

Best quote from these scenes are: That Pokemon was really huge. I wonder if it lived inside of a big Poke Ball before it passed away XD Oh Krista.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 3

Garchomp used Dragon Claw! It doesn't affect Azumarill!

Sorry, I just had to give you a hard time about that silly little moment there. Seems like an interesting little boss (Inb4 it goes mega down the line).

Sorry, I just had to give you a hard time about that silly little moment there. Seems like an interesting little boss (Inb4 it goes mega down the line).

I think I am confused as to what you're trying to say D: Azumarill IS part Fairy so that's normal isn't it? Or am I missing something obvious

It's all good XD Azumarill is fairy type after all, and the fact that that is even the case makes it funnier XD

That's an idea that I had, but I'm still debating on location and moves for it.

Update Concept Artwork Edition

I wonder who this character is? It's not Vice, and it's not Nero, who could it be and why does he look exactly identical to Vice? Take a guess, because in the main thread his name is given ;D

commishdylanrockinvaancg01_by_rialynarts

Edited by Dylanrockin

[HUGE SPOILERS]

UPDATE!

So, while I was working on the Verdant Transformation overworld animation, I created something that I actually became impressed over. This is the long awaited Vice VS Allan battle in the City of the Timeless. There is huge spoilers to be had, so watch at your own digression. That said, a lot of the dialogue in this scene that you are going to watch is not final, and has not been fully edited. So, if things appear to be grammatically incorrect, then again: This scene isn't finalized yet.

Also... yes. I did cop out and use the Super Saiyan aura sound effect XD I couldn't find another one, so sue me :P His aura doesn't actually sound like that, just fyi. It's a placeholder XD Also, if you like DBZ-esque fight scenes then you will like the latter half of the vider.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Character Artwork Update

As reference to the character that I alluded to just a few days ago, the finished artwork for him is here! This is Vaan Cresthart, also known as Nero's twin brother. Other than that information that I stated is a spoiler, so... that's all you get on his biography XD Why he looks like Vice is also a spoiler... sooooooo, yeah. As you can tell, the design is more in-line with a Tales-esque appearance. Also, the clothes that Vaan wears is a playable costume that you can wear in-game.

aa1131e3ddd03074c128c5bc89c996f4-d9ozpok

However, if you DON'T care about spoilers then you can watch this video:

Also, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, but, I had a Symphonic Horizon Facebook Group Page made: https://www.facebook.com/groups/symphonichorizon/1719168224964464/?notif_t=group_activity

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Character Artwork Update

As reference to the character that I alluded to just a few days ago, the finished artwork for him is here! This is Vaan Cresthart, also known as Nero's twin brother. Other than that information that I stated is a spoiler, so... that's all you get on his biography XD Why he looks like Vice is also a spoiler... sooooooo, yeah. As you can tell, the design is more in-line with a Tales-esque appearance. Also, the clothes that Vaan wears is a playable costume that you can wear in-game.

aa1131e3ddd03074c128c5bc89c996f4-d9ozpok

However, if you DON'T care about spoilers then you can watch this video:

Also, I've been thinking about this for awhile now, but, I had a Symphonic Horizon Facebook Group Page made: https://www.facebook.com/groups/symphonichorizon/1719168224964464/?notif_t=group_activity

I know he's supposed to look like Vice and all but, to be honest, it's kind of ....like they're identical twins. Should have at least given Vaan a different hair color or eye color imo . I mean, you don't see that stuff (doppelgangers aside, but even then) outside of identical twins

I know he's supposed to look like Vice and all but, to be honest, it's kind of ....like they're identical twins. Should have at least given Vaan a different hair color or eye color imo . I mean, you don't see that stuff (doppelgangers aside, but even then) outside of identical twins

Well, for the most part, this is a fantasy Pokemon RPG XD and it's explained later why they are identical, in appearance :P

Well he has a more serious demeanor at least

He is indeed way different in terms of personality, but, the only similarity between the two of them is their appearance.

Which allows me to segway into something... interesting. For the past few weeks I haven't really been all too please with the first area of the game's introduction, however, I decided to add some additional scenes before the part where you actually play as Vice at Dawn Beach happens; for the sake of exposition and to better explain what in the world even XD Also, I added a tutorial area to the beginning of the game, that is pretty much inspired by the Stations of Awakening from Kingdom Hearts 1. And throughout the tutorial area you play in Vaan's costume, for... plot reasons, that will be explained as you go throughout the tutorial area.

Also, in the tutorial the scenes that you see are narrated by ambiguous text, which is actually a character that you will meet later on, who is actually saying all that. I'm sure you can guess who it is, given that I already revealed most of the Verdant Tales characters to everyone ;)

Anywho, here is a gif showcasing some of the new stuff for the game:

symphonic%20intro.gif

Also, yes I did change the 2nd bit of "ambiguous text" because it didn't make much sense for the context of the Save Points.

Oh by the way, there are Save Points in the game now. You can still manually save your game, as you normally would, except that these save points fully heal you, in the overworld, and can be really useful whenever you are out and about training. If anyone is interested in the idea of the Save Points being the only thing you can use to save, you can let me know, because I had some plans for some other features to be added in.

Okay, I know that back in August I posted about me having an abscess tooth before, right? And I'm sure you'd think that I would've learned from my mistakes and tried brushing better, yeah? Welllll... that didn't stop the already existing cavities from doing another number on me. You see, there is one tooth in my upper jaw that is a molar, which is mainly used for chewing and crushing food, as you do. That same molar is the same tooth from last August, except this time, it is completely gone, just shattered completely; which means that I am gonna have to get what remains of it, pulled. Which means, no more molar.

That said, I have been brushing 3 times a day, for the past 3 months, and almost all of my teeth have been really good! Aside from that one shattered tooth which is causing me intense pain as I type this... So, tomorrow I am not gonna be working on my game, and instead gonna go into the dentists clinic for an emergency tooth pull, which is gonna be great! It actually will be, since I am gonna say "F-You" to that awful pain...

So, for the most part, I've been in a lot of pain, and it's gonna be really rough the next couple of hours, until the time comes for me to go to the dentists. This, kids is what happens when you don't make it a good habit to brush when you were younger, and then decide when you are older to start brushing regularly ;w; The pain in my mouth could only be described as my screaming bloody murder, and being sent on the floor sprawling and screaming in pain, and then having to call the dentists for an emergency. Yes, it was THAT bad.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Wellp holy sheet , that sounds like a lot of pain, I hope you're able to get rid of it asap.

Meanwhile, the first added scene seems like a nice touch, but I definitely would not want save points to be the only place for saving. That works for the games that sport the feature, but not really in pokemon. Just imagine how many teams you have to train and then not be able to save your game until you find one of these..and then say your game errors or you accidentally close it.. Or if you wanna keep resetting in order to catch something with the nature you want etc, you would have to go back to a save point for that as well. Just feels quite inconvenient for a pokemon game imo, so I'd leave it as it is now. This feature helps people who often forget to save.

Wellp holy sheet , that sounds like a lot of pain, I hope you're able to get rid of it asap.

Meanwhile, the first added scene seems like a nice touch, but I definitely would not want save points to be the only place for saving. That works for the games that sport the feature, but not really in pokemon. Just imagine how many teams you have to train and then not be able to save your game until you find one of these..and then say your game errors or you accidentally close it.. Or if you wanna keep resetting in order to catch something with the nature you want etc, you would have to go back to a save point for that as well. Just feels quite inconvenient for a pokemon game imo, so I'd leave it as it is now. This feature helps people who often forget to save.

Very true, I guess they can be used as a reminder to those who didn't save, as well as being there to fully heal you, out in the open areas.

Update! Prologue to Awakening: Dream Tutorial

The dream tutorial was an area that was inspired by the first Kingdom Hearts, and serves as a pretty basic tutorial for navigation, and control. It also adds some... very cryptic story dialogue by an ominous voice, who, I am pretty sure you know who's saying it. The dialogue that is being narrated by the ambiguous character is up for interpretation of what it really means. But, I'm sure if you look at the dialogue long enough, you can figure it out, especially once you actually start playing the game.

This doesn't constitute as spoilers, since this is the prologue before the actual game happens, and the dialogue is up for your own interpretation, as well as the things that you interact with; because yes, even those objects that you interact with have meaning to the Dream Tutorial.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Definitely better and more polished now

But wait, that's not all!

Tales Animation Update!

So, I've been doing some hard work with some custom programming with Luka S.J's battle system and I think you will be pretty impressed with what I managed to create. First off, let me explain what this all is. Basically, I created a custom animation for "Verdant Arte's" which is essentially a characters Signature Pokemon's Ultimate attack. Whenever you use a Verdant Arte, you get a unique, made completely custom by me, animation that has a special something at the end of the animation, for those of you who have played a Tales game and know what Mystic Artes have in them ;) BUT, for now, I am going to show you guys a work in progress, since this isn't finished quite yet. So, here is a progress gif on how everything looks at the moment.

This gif showcases Vivian's Greninja using Renegade Strike, a one-hit KO attack that never misses. Verdant Artes only have 1 PP, but they always hit, and will always land a one-hit KO. However, you can miss, if accuracy de-buffs are applied to you. Again, this animation isn't finished, as this took me all day to create, and the animation is... 110 frames at the moment, and I am not even CLOSE to done.

Vivian: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GET SERIOUS!

renegade.gif

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Update, again XD

​Apologies for the constant updates, but I have now finished the Tales-esque Mystic Arte-esque cut-in animation for Renegade Strike! This is exclusive only to Vivian Vance, and her Greninja. The other 5 characters have their own cut-in animations, with their own unique Verdant Arte attacks!

Here is the video, enjoy! It took me freaking forever to make this, so I hope you all like it!

• Upvote 2

Character Artwork Update!

So, today I am going to be showing off another new character, well... technically she isn't new, but in terms of artwork she is. This is Mia Vance, otherwise known as one of the other prequel characters from Symphonic Horizon: Verdant Tales. She is Vivian's older sister, and unlike other Pokemon Trainers, she possesses a sword. Why is that you may ask? Well, the reason for her using a sword was because, aside from being something that she would use for overworld purposes, was for synchronizing training with her Greninja. In Namira Village, trainers would actively take part in training WITH their Pokemon, and Mia would use her sword as part of that training, as Greninja used it's Mist Blades. Also she used the sword quite comically in some scenes in the previous game to threaten Vaan, or other characters XD

So, here she is:

Also, she was the original creator of the move: Renegade Strike, as she originally taught the technique to her Greninja.

99e8b387aeb7cb8d4a4a3c87a0a80799-d9q32ba

What are Synchronize Battles? Basically they are normal sparring matches with the Trainer being a part of those battles, however, there are no Pokemon Techniques used in those battles against the Trainer; however weapons are allowed, and weapon like techniques, like Mist Blades are allowed. They are meant to help synchronize Trainer and Pokemon together, so that in an actual battle all hesitation, agitation, and possible disobedience is removed. The Pokemon and Trainer's emotions are harmonized and thus gives a huge advantage over the opposing Trainer.

As I am sure, for those of you who read previous posts, would know that Vivian did in fact base her Verdant Clothes off of her sister's. However, some parts of her design did not perfectly resemble Mia's original clothing.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Rideable Pokemon!

I've been working on getting character specific Rideable Pokemon for awhile now, but I haven't had the time to commission them, but thanks to a certain awesome someone, I managed to finish this project! Yes, Vice and Krista both have Gogoat's and the reason for that is because when Vice was given the choice of which one he wanted to ride, he didn't really care, so long as he had something to ride; and thus Krista gave him one of her Gogoats! This video I basically show off the Pokemon Whistle, and what it can do, which basically makes you able to Ride a specific Pokemon! It's much faster than a bike, and allows you to jump over ledges!

The Pokemon that each character rides is:

Vice - Gogoat (again, Vice didn't really care much when he was given the choice XD)

Marissa - Zebstrika

Vivian - Absol

Hiro - Rapidash

Krista - Gogoat

Allan - Arcanine

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1