Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

I-I guess here is a person...

Sure, alright I'll take you aboard my ship of Talesness! :D Just let me know when you are ready to start working, and I will assign you to the position that you desire. If you don't mind starting sometime after today, would that be okay? Since, I've got some stuff to take care of tonight, so I won't really be around, near my computer to do much, until tomorrow afternoon.

So been a while. Truthfully, I've been a bit distracted by Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and the one thing that came to my mind is that "Dylan would probably really enjoy this game."

As for help, I just don't have the time considering I'm technically the storyline writer for one fan-game and help quite a bit with another as well as my own stuff. (Generally I stick more to writing than to all that artsy stuff).

So been a while. Truthfully, I've been a bit distracted by Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and the one thing that came to my mind is that "Dylan would probably really enjoy this game."

As for help, I just don't have the time considering I'm technically the storyline writer for one fan-game and help quite a bit with another as well as my own stuff. (Generally I stick more to writing than to all that artsy stuff).

It's all good, and I've seen footage of that game, and it looks pretty interesting; I may give it a look on the PS3 if I can. I've played Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for the PSP a long time ago.

Again, it's all good; I'm in no rush for team members, and you already got your hands full with 2 projects as it is. To be honest, having just 1 other team member could speed up the progress of my game dramatically. So, no need to worry about not being available :)

Also, here is the character CG art collection for all of the character's artwork!

10407572_996356153771644_492427393767319

Edited by Dylanrockin

Vivian, Allan and Krista's are my favorite cards, coincidentially, characters too :ph34r: I'd help as well if I had any skills in making a game , that's not my field at all

I would have to agree with that, as well ^^ And nah, it's all good, you don't have to be super skilled or anything, you just have to continue play-testing the game for me XD Also, I kind of would like your opinion on the beginning of the game, because I am thinking about changing some parts of it, to help even out the pacing a little bit.

WHO'S THAT CHARACTER?!

Take a guess, and figure out who this new character is, for my game. She looks a lot like Vivian, hmm... :D She is currently in the sketching conceptual phase at the moment, but her finished design will be coming out soon enough! Also, I have sketches of all the characters, if anyone is interested in seeing their original concept arts!

commishdylanrockinfionacg01_by_rialynart

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

I think as far as I've gotten, the pacing is pretty fine. You are doing what you are meant to be doing and stuff. It gives enough time to level up teams and everything

As for this character, if it will be in this specific game and not a sequel or anything, it's either little Vivian (as a kid) or a Vivian fangirl (Or vivian's future kid??? :ph34r: )

I think as far as I've gotten, the pacing is pretty fine. You are doing what you are meant to be doing and stuff. It gives enough time to level up teams and everything

As for this character, if it will be in this specific game and not a sequel or anything, it's either little Vivian (as a kid) or a Vivian fangirl (Or vivian's future kid??? :ph34r: )

Well, I was mainly speaking of from the very beginning of the game, like, when you first awaken; since, I feel that there could've been a little bit more build-up, before you are thrown into the whole journey. I will be announcing who she really is, in just a few hours ;D

Little Vivian? Hmm, that's a good guess, but no, since Vivian does not have a fang :P the second one is not very plausible XD and the last one is already in the works, sooooo it's not that one ;P

By weird logic I suspect it's Vivian's older sister (I believe she was mentioned in a skit before...)

Possibly, except that Vivian's older sister is actually several years older than her XD

Edited by Dylanrockin

Hmm, well, that could be possible, maybe add a few more adventures in the map before you are inevitably led to "the box"

Well, I wanted to lay out some more exposition, and perhaps make Marissa available earlier than you would normally get her, but you would go through a little bit more plot and whatnot, before you get to "the box" XD But, I don't know, since I would need some more input on that, because now that I look at it; it seems a bit too abrupt of an introduction. Although, I do plan on putting in a little bit of "mystery dialogue" before you gain control of Vice at Dawn Beach.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Well, I wanted to lay out some more exposition, and perhaps make Marissa available earlier than you would normally get her, but you would go through a little bit more plot and whatnot, before you get to "the box" XD But, I don't know, since I would need some more input on that, because now that I look at it; it seems a bit too abrupt of an introduction. Although, I do plan on putting in a little bit of "mystery dialogue" before you gain control of Vice at Dawn Beach.

Who's That Character: Answer

The answer is... Fiona Vance, aka Vivian's little sister! Plot on this character will be explained, when that part of the game comes out ;D Because... spoilers. However, you should take a look at her eyes, and see what you notice. Seems familiar, right? Her eyes aren't just red for show, much like all the other characters with red eyes. Perhaps there is some correlation?

a0fff856b6d3c4a7396bf49684bc3c70-d9nw65k

Character Quotes:

???: Hmm? Who’re those guys?

Craig: Man… I can’t stand anymore of this waiting garbage, can’t we just—

Aria: Shut up, Craig. Ugh, I can’t believe I had to be paired up with you on this assignment, when I had better things to do.

Craig: What? Like stalk that little eleven year-old? Man, ever since you met that girl you’ve been attached to her like an overly clingy ex-girlfriend. Just what is it that makes you so interested in her anyways?

Aria: Like you could understand, Craig.

Craig: I don’t think I wanna know… It’s creepy, and weird…

Aria: Coming from someone who is equally, if not more creepy and weird.

Craig: Ouch, sister, that was harsh.

???: Stop right where you are!

Craig: Hm? Who’s that? I think we forgot one.

???: I said stop, villains! Or I will show you the wrath of the one and only Fiona Vance!

(elipses)

Aria: ... She’s a Vance too, huh? I was led to believe that Vivian was the last descendant of the Vance Family.

Fiona: Hiyahhhhh!

Jumps at Craig and Aria

Fiona: Ooof!

Craig: …

Fiona: Hiyahhh! Hiyahhhh!

Aria: She certainly has the energy of a Vance, that’s for sure.

Craig: Ehh… Aria, how’s about you take care of her.

Aria: What? Are you getting soft now, Craig?

Craig: No, because the last time I babysat a little girl I got the literal crap kicked out of me!

Aria: Excuses.

Walks towards Fiona

Aria: Hey, little girl, if you don’t get back to your room right now, there will be some heavy consequences in store for you!

Fiona: Oh yeah, like what? You’re not my mom, so why should I listen to you? Bleghhhhh!

Aria: If you don’t behave then I will have to discipline you, just like your mom! Now, go back to your room like a good little girl, and maybe I’ll give you something nice.

Craig: What? Something nice, come on Ari-

Aria: Shut up Craig!

Fiona: Tag, you’re it!

Fiona runs away

Aria: Tch, that little—get back here, kid!

Fiona: Hehe, catch me if you can!

Craig: … What just happened?

Wellp, I sure did not know Vivian had a little sister as well. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the siblings looking semi identical x.X I'd give her a new hairstyle at least. And I kinda don't see red in her eyes xD It might be the lighting/shade of the colors but they just look amber-orangeish to me. Maybe I'm blind :ph34r:

And I think if you introduce Marissa before you reach "the box", you'd have to make up a really good excuse for her to not be dead .. That's why it was kinda fine as it is, to have Vice alone at that point

Wellp, I sure did not know Vivian had a little sister as well. I gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the siblings looking semi identical x.X I'd give her a new hairstyle at least. And I kinda don't see red in her eyes xD It might be the lighting/shade of the colors but they just look amber-orangeish to me. Maybe I'm blind :ph34r:

And I think if you introduce Marissa before you reach "the box", you'd have to make up a really good excuse for her to not be dead .. That's why it was kinda fine as it is, to have Vice alone at that point

The whole not red thing is just the shading, because that is just kind of how my artist handles the colors XD Her eyes are actually just like Helena and Nero's eyes. Well, I guess I can slightly change her design, but only just slightly. I do intend to keep her families kimono design, except with very minor changes.

Hmm... possibly, I think I might add some "mysterious" dialogue cues every now and then, to help build up a little bit more tension at the beginning, and keep the player wondering what is going on.

However, this will be the one, and only time that I will make a redesign, because I DO have to pay for the slight alterations, no matter how minor. Her design was meant to resemble Vivian's, since they are from the same family, which, results in similar attire.

Edited by Dylanrockin

The whole not red thing is just the shading, because that is just kind of how my artist handles the colors XD Her eyes are actually just like Helena and Nero's eyes. Well, I guess I can slightly change her design, but only just slightly. I do intend to keep her families kimono design, except with very minor changes.

Hmm... possibly, I think I might add some "mysterious" dialogue cues every now and then, to help build up a little bit more tension at the beginning, and keep the player wondering what is going on.

However, this will be the one, and only time that I will make a redesign, because I DO have to pay for the slight alterations, no matter how minor. Her design was meant to resemble Vivian's, since they are from the same family, which, results in similar attire.

Attire dun heff to be hairstyle, I believe that's the only real "issue" there... I mean siblings or not, they don't have to look like twins :P and even if the ponytail is the standard ninja hairstyle, it's not the only one, so in the end I think changing her hairstyle would be fine enough. Her Kimono and stuff are diverse as they are. And the artist handled Marissa's red visibly enough to know it's red so, wellp :ph34r: It's really closer to orange or amber than any form of red

I suppose inner convos added are good, you can also extend the encounters before "the box" for more build-up too

Attire dun heff to be hairstyle, I believe that's the only real "issue" there... I mean siblings or not, they don't have to look like twins :P and even if the ponytail is the standard ninja hairstyle, it's not the only one, so in the end I think changing her hairstyle would be fine enough. Her Kimono and stuff are diverse as they are. And the artist handled Marissa's red visibly enough to know it's red so, wellp :ph34r: It's really closer to orange or amber than any form of red

I suppose inner convos added are good, you can also extend the encounters before "the box" for more build-up too

Well, the thing is, is that: I have to pay for the redesign, no matter how minor it is, even if it is just the hair being changed, which... I already am planning on doing. Even if the eye-color is slightly off, I have to pay for it. The amount that I had to pay for the CG's was a lot as it is, and for the slight redesign for Fiona is $15. That might not sound like a lot, but... I could be using that for something else XD

I'm not meaning to be rude or sound like a jerk or anything, but, at the end of the day, I have to pay for the designs, and I don't particularly enjoy paying an additional fee, on top of allocating possibly 3 more days onto a character that has the same hair-style as another, which could be used on progressing more artwork for newer characters. I also don't really enjoy wasting my artists time to have to sketch, lineart, shade and re-color everything just for one very minute problem.

Again, not meaning to be rude or anything, but, if there is a design you don't like, then I am not changing it, because I don't get this stuff for free, like some fan-game teams out there do. I don't get it easy like they do... :(

So, the issues you stated above are going to be fixed, and I even made some visual changes to her design which drastically set her apart from Vivian. This is however the only time that I am going to do this. I do apologize, sincerely, if this came off as a bit... harsh :( But, I do think about these things pretty often, as well as thinking about my artist who has to go through the effort of redoing everything, and that's not a pleasant thought for me to think of :(

Edited by Dylanrockin

Well, the thing is, is that: I have to pay for the redesign, no matter how minor it is, even if it is just the hair being changed, which... I already am planning on doing. Even if the eye-color is slightly off, I have to pay for it. The amount that I had to pay for the CG's was a lot as it is, and for the slight redesign for Fiona is $15. That might not sound like a lot, but... I could be using that for something else XD

I'm not meaning to be rude or sound like a jerk or anything, but, at the end of the day, I have to pay for the designs, and I don't particularly enjoy paying an additional fee, on top of allocating possibly 3 more days onto a character that has the same hair-style as another, which could be used on progressing more artwork for newer characters. I also don't really enjoy wasting my artists time to have to sketch, lineart, shade and re-color everything just for one very minute problem.

Again, not meaning to be rude or anything, but, if there is a design you don't like, then I am not changing it, because I don't get this stuff for free, like some fan-game teams out there do. I don't get it easy like they do... :(

So, the issues you stated above are going to be fixed, and I even made some visual changes to her design which drastically set her apart from Vivian. This is however the only time that I am going to do this. I do apologize, sincerely, if this came off as a bit... harsh :( But, I do think about these things pretty often, as well as thinking about my artist who has to go through the effort of redoing everything, and that's not a pleasant thought for me to think of :(

I believe that is quite harsh, 15$ for a slight change in the hairstyle :ph34r: No worries, you are not forced to make changes, I'm only rambling anyway. Of course you should not make changes you don't wanna make, especially since they don't come for free. You can merely take my rambling as something to keep in mind when you make future designs. Even that, however, is a personal preference in the end.

I believe that is quite harsh, 15$ for a slight change in the hairstyle :ph34r: No worries, you are not forced to make changes, I'm only rambling anyway. Of course you should not make changes you don't wanna make, especially since they don't come for free. You can merely take my rambling as something to keep in mind when you make future designs. Even that, however, is a personal preference in the end.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with your critique at all, I actually thought of that the instant that I saw her finished design. Of course, I didn't tell my artist that ahead of time, because, I was worried that she would have to redo everything. Not a pleasant thought, to have to waste my artists time, since she puts a lot of love and effort into all that she has made. I'm not as rich as some people make me out to be, especially with the kind of horrible labor that I have to go through to pay for all of this ;w; At least you know that I am dedicated XD

But, in any case, she is going to have a drastic change in design, while retaining a lot of what you already see on her current design. So, it's an improved look.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Well, an artist will never have to redo everything if you tell them little details to look out for when making a design :o So you should do that in the future as well. In any case, no artist has to redo an entire work just to change a hairstyle , so no worries there :ph34r: ( But I still think 15$ for a simple hairstyle change is a lot...the work should not take even an hour for the change to take place)

Well, an artist will never have to redo everything if you tell them little details to look out for when making a design :o So you should do that in the future as well. In any case, no artist has to redo an entire work just to change a hairstyle , so no worries there :ph34r: ( But I still think 15$ for a simple hairstyle change is a lot...the work should not take even an hour for the change to take place)

Well, it depends purely on public feedback. If someone doesn't like a design, or if there is something strikingly wrong about the design, then somethings will have to be changed. Of course, most characters that already have their designs since the beginning cannot be changed, or else a lot of things would have to be changed.

Character Update!

Okay first off, I am exhausted, and I've been awake for 40 hours, WOOO! Secondly, I have now updated Fiona Vance's design, to be more different in appearance to Vivian. Here is her updated design.

commission__fiona_vance_by_rialynarts-d9

Lastly, there will be more character artworks for new characters that are coming out, so be on the watch for that!

• Upvote 1

UPDATE:

Listed below are the changes that I have made to the game, thus far:

+ Created an option in the Trainer Cards 2nd Page for changing costumes (Vice is the only one who can, at the moment)

+ Fixed a lot of bugs, in relation to skits playing out

+ Created Vice's Verdant Transformation Sprite

+ Finished Shimmering Mountain

+ Finished Oblivion Forest

+ Added additional content to the beginning of the game.

- Removed several unnecessary features.

Very soon, there will be another Menu screen redesign, and it's going to be a lot more... Tales-esque than the one that you see currently, which is more geared towards a Pokemon design. I will be contacting my artist to see what she thinks about the general idea.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Update

As of today, I just finished remastering some old maps, mainly indoor maps, into a form that looks and plays in a much more... "fun" manner. Down below you can see the newer maps, which are show above, and the old maps, which are down below for comparison. These maps have been vastly more improved, and as a result are way better to play.

43eaa4e8810f7feec391bb88f7152d72.pngef246fd41971bc2a2a2326b47d6ec970.png

Older maps

5e950f5867f751862fd4b9ef76fb0975.png

c05986f803d12ab5eba1937df29285a8.png

Pretty stark difference, huh?

• Upvote 1