Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Update: SO. The skits are now finished, and I finally created the first of many skit scenes that are going to be present in the game. In this video, I am going to show you the location of one of these skits. For those of you who don't know - Skits are little scenes that are present in the Tales series, and are almost always pretty hilarious to watch. This game takes a lot of inspiration from the Tales games, as you can tell, and you will be able to activate the scenes in a similar way. (By the way, go play Tales of Symphonia, it's the best one, from the Tales series, just sayin' XD Also, it's my favorite game of all time!)

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Thanksgiving Update!: First off, before I say anything, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and I hope you all are stuffing yourselves into a food-induced coma, just like me right now with 10 pounds of Turducken XD I wanted to make mention to a few things today, since yesterday was kind of a minor update, sorta ^^; But today, I just received good news! I am no longer going to be working 6 days a week for a whole month, like I did this month, which is awesome! Starting next week, I am getting 4 days off from work, which means that I will be putting all 4 of those days into working on my game! One of the few things that I finished, today, was programming in the animating background for the Trainer cards, and this is what they look like, finalized with the Digital arts for the characters! Also, the process of turning a video into a gif lowers the quality, so, just for anyone who doesn't know, the trainer card doesn't look THIS bad XD It's just because of the video being turned into a gif.

giffff.gif

Secondly, I wanted to show off another Skit video! This time, featuring Hiro, Eevee, and Vivian; while also showing off one of the later areas of the game, Ivory Resort! This skit is totally not a reference to Tales of Symphonia's Paw Pads at all, nope :3

In any case, I hope you all enjoy your Thanksgiving, and by all means, stuff yourselves with Holiday joy :D

• Upvote 2

Vivian is definitely my fav char from the looks of it. We in Europe don't have thanksgiving but I hope everyone who does enjoyed theirs

Vivian is also my favorite character, with my second favorite being Hiro. Also, with my acquiring the ability to create Skit scenes in my game, this will extend out the time for the game to be released, because I have to create Skit's for certain instances after important scenes play out. Also, I have to create many of the overworld Skit's that you see in the videos above, and so far, I have created about five. I should be able to get caught up on Skit scenes this week, since I have a lot of free time! (Even though I just started playing XCOM: Enemy Within, and that game has been addictive as crap XD Damn you ProJared!!)

But, this week I intend to get a lot of Event's done and hopefully wrap up events in Skycrest City. That is the goal, and hopefully I can meet it ^^;

Secondly, I wanted to show off another Skit video! This time, featuring Hiro, Eevee, and Vivian; while also showing off one of the later areas of the game, Ivory Resort! This skit is totally not a reference to Tales of Symphonia's Paw Pads at all, nope :3

Nope. Totally not a reference to Tales of Symphonia…though if you're going with the paw pad skit, I hope you go the whole way.

:P

That being said, seeing those skits means that what I want to do with the fan game idea I'm working on is possible…Yay.

• Upvote 1

Nope. Totally not a reference to Tales of Symphonia…though if you're going with the paw pad skit, I hope you go the whole way.

:P

That being said, seeing those skits means that what I want to do with the fan game idea I'm working on is possible…Yay.

Yes it is indeed possible, you just have to have $1000+ at your disposal (unless you want to draw them yourself XD) and I refuse to acknowledge Dawn of the New World, simply because... WHYYYYY?! Sorry, my inner fan-boy is screaming, because I was appalled by that game, and many of the things they did wrong with it. But, I was mainly referencing the first Tales of Symphonia game :P Also, I didn't want to quote it from verbatim, when it came to the paw pads, that and I was like half asleep when writing the scene XD

Also, you are cool, because you get the reference and played the games :D

Edited by Dylanrockin

Vivian is also my favorite character, with my second favorite being Hiro. Also, with my acquiring the ability to create Skit scenes in my game, this will extend out the time for the game to be released, because I have to create Skit's for certain instances after important scenes play out. Also, I have to create many of the overworld Skit's that you see in the videos above, and so far, I have created about five. I should be able to get caught up on Skit scenes this week, since I have a lot of free time! (Even though I just started playing XCOM: Enemy Within, and that game has been addictive as crap XD Damn you ProJared!!)

But, this week I intend to get a lot of Event's done and hopefully wrap up events in Skycrest City. That is the goal, and hopefully I can meet it ^^;

Great things don't get done in a day, no worries. Take your time!

Great things don't get done in a day, no worries. Take your time!

Well, I am very glad that you are willing to wait a tad bit longer! This week will be progress week, and I intend to get A LOT done, I assure you ;)

Also, Update: For those of you who watch my livestreams, and whatnot, I just did a stream with an hour and a half of NOTHING but map transfer events, because, oh my god, is Skycrest City enormous ;A; The archive is down below if anyone is interested in watching what all happened, in terms of progress. Also, there be trolls in this archive, because, people like to say vulgar swears, and try to be funny, because, that's a thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVgk0cWnps

I didn't do AS much serious eventing as I would've liked to, mainly because the whole map transfers for Skycrest City was so killer on me, that I couldn't get around to normal NPC stuff ;w;

• Upvote 1

Update: So, you thought that encountering the orbs in the overworld would be the only way to initiate a Skit conversation? Well, just like in Tales of Symphonia, you can actively choose to watch a skit, or completely ignore it!

By pressing Z, which is actually the D key, for some reason, you can activate a Skit conversation, whenever you want! However, after some time, the skit will no longer be available, so, if you want to watch it, you better do it soon! In this video, I will be showing you a context sensitive Skit conversation that is, for the most part, pretty funny XD This will be the default skit convo initiation method, whereas the orb skit's will generally lead to some unique content, such as exclusive items, and learning moves that you wouldn't otherwise be able to learn. Some don't give you anything, and some will give you quite a bit! So, you best hope to watch these scenes, because, they help you learn more about the characters that you are playing as, without making a whole movement scene that would be otherwise out of place.

Also, if you are wondering why I didn't initiate the skit conversation at the beginning, it was because I wanted to show that you can initiate the scene, anywhere! However, after a certain point, the skit will no longer be available for you to watch, so be weary on that.

Edited by Dylanrockin

I saw Dark Fang and it reminded of the Black Fang from FE7...which then reminded me of Lloyd the dodge master. Anyways, I know I don't say much, but I'm really interested in this game. It's definitely looks really, really promising and I am very patient (well, most Rebornians have patience given the period between episodes), but Xenoblade X is coming out Friday...and I probably will disappear for a week or two due to that. I waited over 3 years for that game. But seriously, take your time and don't rush anything especially for the first release as a very crisp and clean first release will drag a heck of a lot of attention and recognition compared to a really glitchy and problematic game.

I saw Dark Fang and it reminded of the Black Fang from FE7...which then reminded me of Lloyd the dodge master. Anyways, I know I don't say much, but I'm really interested in this game. It's definitely looks really, really promising and I am very patient (well, most Rebornians have patience given the period between episodes), but Xenoblade X is coming out Friday...and I probably will disappear for a week or two due to that. I waited over 3 years for that game. But seriously, take your time and don't rush anything especially for the first release as a very crisp and clean first release will drag a heck of a lot of attention and recognition compared to a really glitchy and problematic game.

That's fine, no worries! I don't really expect people to constantly be active on this thread, since I mainly just post minor updates, like the Skit videos, which I can tell that some people will find appealing, and some won't. And I never really played Fire Emblem 7, since I only played Awakening, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, along with the new games that are coming out, which I will be playing a lot of! I will also be playing Xenoblade X when that comes out as well, since I am a huge fan of Xenoblade, and Xenosaga.

But, I will try to make the first release as bug-free as possible.

Also, in regards to the Skit's I wanted to show off another Skit video, but this time with more context sensitive skit's. This time, there are two skit's that are context sensitive; which displays that after you watch one skit that was already queued in the game's event data, that it will allow you to start the next one, after you already viewed the previously queued skit. So, if you think that you can only watch one skit at a time, well, with this new system that I incorporated, it will allow you to watch more than just one at a given time! You will have to watch them in order, though, since they are queued in the event data, and will only play after you watched a previous skit. So, in one area, you could be able to watch upwards to several skit's!

• Upvote 2

(Sees Xenosaga) You are okay in my book. I would do a marathon of the Xeno games to lead up to X...but there's not enough time to do that due to their length. Probably best not to talk about them as it's always spoilerville and off topicness. As for FE7, You really aren't missing out on that much as the Tellius games have like the best gameplay mechanics.

And I also finally have the answer to that one question I've been wondering this whole time. I've just always wondered why she had red and blue eyes. Please tell me I'm not the only one guilty of this.

Update: First of all, I want to thank all the people on the Reborn Forums for being very supportive of my game, and all the feedback that I have gotten from general impressions, so far. Also, I wanted to make mention to that I feel that the Reborn forums is probably the kindest forum that I have been to, in... well ever :) But, aside from that little tid-bit, I wanted to make mention to the progress that I have made on my game, so far:

First off, I have evented the ENTIRE Central Sector of Skycrest City, and that, in itself, took me 3 days to do... That is a HUGE amount of progress made, and once this city is evented, I won't have to worry about anymore stupidly large cities like it, ever again ;A; That said, I am only 33% done with that city. Yes, it is that huge! What is left is the Eastern and Western Sectors to the city, and once those are done, I can guarantee that the game will be readily playable! Also, those sectors won't take nearly as long, since they are smaller than the central sector. However, with the amount of events that are in the Central Sector, you will most likely encounter some frame rate issues. It will only be in the Central one, though. The eastern and western ones will not lag nearly as much as the central one.

Also, new skits are being made at the moment, starting from the beginning of the game, upwards to the end of Beta 1! You can expect about 50-60 Skits to be present in the first beta! Which... is AWESOME! I just finished about... 5 or 6 of them today; some are funny, and some are more serious than others. But, I hope you enjoy watching some funny Skits, once the game is released!

One last thing I wanted to mention. For those of you who have not played any Tales game before, Amethyst and I will be streaming Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of the Abyss next week, as part of a Tales stream series that we are doing. If you guys are interested in seeing what all the craziness is in the Tales series, feel free to stop by! The date will be announced this weekend, hopefully.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

First off, I have evented the ENTIRE Central Sector of Skycrest City, and that, in itself, took me 3 days to do... That is a HUGE amount of progress made, and once this city is evented, I won't have to worry about anymore stupidly large cities like it, ever again ;A; That said, I am only 33% done with that city.

...wow.

I don't think I could ever put in as much effort as you could in a fan-game! I'm pleased to see that a lot of progress is being made though, with the mapping and the skits!

...wow.

I don't think I could ever put in as much effort as you could in a fan-game! I'm pleased to see that a lot of progress is being made though, with the mapping and the skits!

Well, that's debatable ^^; there is probably going to be someone who will show up and make my game look inferior to theirs in some way.

Also, Update: For those of you who watch my livestreams, and whatnot, I just did a stream with an hour of making Skit faces for Krista Harper :) The archive is down below if anyone is interested in watching what all happened, in terms of progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfECVUfJ8k

Edited by Dylanrockin

Krista, you're now my 2nd favorite char

Well, now you get to see both Vivian and Krista in the same skit, talking about Vivian's Sister's Mareep Ranch! Which is coincidentally what this update is all about! Krista now has ALL of her Skit faces done, and I am going to be adding more to Krista and Vivian's Skit repertoire in a week or so ;D

This game is alrdy so hype tho @_@

You thought that was cool? Just wait till you see what I have in store within the next couple of days ;) I also am getting Allan's Skit's ready to go, and will hopefully be finished in the next couple days as well!

Just a quick Update: I just made a lot of progress on my game, within the past couple of days! I managed to complete the other 33% of Skycrest City with all the events and optional stuff, and now I am starting on the last 33% of the city! So far, I had to take some shortcuts, since the city is huge and expansive. Some buildings you can go inside of and some you cannot, and the reason for that was simply because of frame rate restraints with RPG Maker XP. So, those were the shortcuts I was referring to. Also, Allan's Skit's are now complete, and I will be showing off a new skit video, within the next day or so, of a scene featuring him!

Also, within the next few days, I will be showing off a new transformation that can be accessed in the post-game, as well as a transformation for one of the characters! Artwork included ;) If any of you wanna take a guess as to what they are, feel free to debate!

Also, I made several new Skit's for my game, and so far, they are coming together quite well! However, making them work they way they are supposed to is really irritating and time consuming ;A; But, I am now up to about... 16-17 Skits at the moment! That is a crap-load! And those are the context-sensitive versions! Once Skycrest City is finished being evented, and when I get the last of the skits finished, that should be a good point at when the Beta will be released! (No promises, given my time management skills XD) Also, here is a map screenshot, because I'm bored

e746565648b063e19df5ae8f58520056.png

6d44f4ca9bbd3c95515342c00f3d61ee.png

Also, I am now going to be uploading the part 2 Electric Boogaloo of Amethyst and I's conversation! This time with more controversial questions!

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

If the Vice dood doesn't count as new, then it could be Marissa .. or I'd hope vivian, hue

"Vice dood"? XD I am just gonna let your anticipation run wild for the next... I dunno, 3-4 days or so? Also, there is going to be some awesome concept artwork for all 6 characters that I am sure everyone here will enjoy! I will be posting them in the main thread for you all :)

Also, here is the interview part 2 with Amethyst, where we talk about Fair-use and Fakemon. Let it be known here people that stealing from other people's games is bad.

IMPORTANT

I am going to be asking you, the readers of this thread, to create, and I need you to follow me on this one, your own Skit :D That's right, I am going to let you all write in response to this post, what you want to see in a Skit scene. The requirements for it has to be as such:

1. It needs to be fairly short - Skit scenes in any Tales game are generally pretty short, and sometimes can be upwards to a couple minutes in length. So, no paragraphs of dialogue.

2. You cannot incorporate your own canon into the dialogue - Since these characters already have their own story to them, as well as their own defining personalities, you cannot make up something that they have done that is narrative specific to that character. You can make the scene funny with certain interactions, like a prank or something like that (just shooting out ideas here), but, for the most part, just have fun with this! Just no making up canon for the character.

3. Be funny - So, basically no memes, and use humor to the greatest effect. (Optional)