Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Update!

So, for those of you who like Allan, here is Allan's character artwork card with his signature Pokemon: Lucario!

f391643a22bc5342895360651a099d8d-d9mjt4x

Also, someone drew some fanart of Hiro, and I am going to post her artwork here, because I am super happy to see fan-art of some of my favorite characters :D By Tlozyp:

i_ll_always_believe_by_tlozyp-d9misms.pn

Also, I wanted to make mention to how progress with my game has been going so far. So far, I've managed to get only a little bit done. I've kind of been suffering from a writers block, and haven't really felt like making Skits scenes or making NPC Trainers/Events; and that is usually the most tedious part of it all. Also, the beta tester who's been playing my game managed to get near the half-way point of the beta, and so far, I fixed all the issues that she addressed ;D

Update! Dynamic Partner System!

So, as you probably noticed, in my game there is an option to set-up partners in the menu screen. That is pretty much true, however, in previous versions it was a little finicky, and still kind of is; however, I managed to get the partner trainers to work out flawlessly! So, when you assign a partner there is a 100% chance to engage in a double wild battle, and the assigned partner will take part in the battle with you! Also, the battle music changes to help denote a partner double battle!

Also, I don't know if I am gonna be able to go through with this, but, I think I'm gonna end up returning to Relic Castle, while also managing my forum post here as well.

Manga Update!

Also, for those of you who know, yes, I am also the creator of the Pokemon Symphonic Horizon Manga, and if any of you are interested, there are 3 pages posted on the main thread for you guys to read, and now I have news in regards to the anticipated adaptation!

First off, concept drawings of Marissa and Nero have been made for the manga, they are not final, especially Nero, since he is supposed to look like Vice XD Even still, here are some of the conceptual drawings for the character designs:

The designs for the characters are extremely more realistic, however, the Pokemon in the manga itself do retain their Cartooney-esque designs from the anime/games. Also, the upcoming pages for the manga will span to page 30, by the time Summer roles around!

Marissa.png

Nero%201.png

Edited by Dylanrockin

Oh, on a side-note there: I wanted to receive some user input from some of you.

Would anyone be interested in being a part of the Symphonic Horizon team, by chance?

Also, I programmed in a HUD for the game. It's a really basic one, but, I am planning on HEAVILY improving it's look. This one that you see is just a placeholder for the time being, but will be replaced by something a bit more... attractive ;D

830b501be2a05ea8ae9d50df5457f0de.png

If anyone is willing to offer a design for the HUD, you can feel free to let me know, and I will love you long time :D

Also, I was wondering if I should even use a HUD, especially since this game is... very story intensive, and I don't want anything to take the immersion away from the story. So, should I use a HUD for my game?

Edited by Dylanrockin

Toggle feature for the HUD?

Yeah, I was thinking that as well, since there is a way to toggle the HUD. However, I was thinking of something that turned the HUD off and then back on when interacting with an NPC/Event. So, you can toggle it, and when it is toggled AND interacting with an Event it will turn off, so it's not permanently there in your face. However, it may take me awhile to figure out how to do just that.

So in short, I want it to be toggled, and if it is toggled while talking to an event, it temporarily turns itself off, and when it finishes, turns itself back on again.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Much updates. Glad to know you managed to do something for the partner system! That's already a good step ahead

For le HUD, to me, the normal menu options are perfectly fine and I personally would not feel like I need to have it, but wellp. If you'll have it, I agree it ought to be a toggle feature

For the Manga, Nero looks awesome, but I think Marissa's eyes are switched again..the red color would appear darker in shade if you put things in grayscale, so I'd switch that around ..and wow, to think it never hit me until now that she's only 11

Much updates. Glad to know you managed to do something for the partner system! That's already a good step ahead

For le HUD, to me, the normal menu options are perfectly fine and I personally would not feel like I need to have it, but wellp. If you'll have it, I agree it ought to be a toggle feature

For the Manga, Nero looks awesome, but I think Marissa's eyes are switched again..the red color would appear darker in shade if you put things in grayscale, so I'd switch that around ..and wow, to think it never hit me until now that she's only 11

Yup, I am planning on having the partner follow the main selected player, however, that may take some time... The HUD will be stylized, and each character will have their own unique HUD that can be toggled on and off, and whenever an event is interacted with, the HUD will go away until it finishes ;)

And my artist fixed Marissa's eyes, and they are now accurate ^^

UPDATE

So, as of yesterday I posted about the HUD for my game, and some of you have told me about the toggle option for it. So, I went ahead and programmed in the Toggle Feature for the HUD so that way if you DO want to use it you are free to do so. However, I still need to program in the portion that gets rid of the HUD whenever an event is triggered. I do have an idea of how it might work, but, it may be a little awkward, so... yeah. But, down below I created a NOT completed version of the HUD, and I made it stylized to the game's general menu setup that you all have seen previously. However, there will be some unique features that this HUD will have that is not shown in the screenshot below. And again, this is just a mockup of what is to come, so, nothing that you see in this shot will be final. In fact, none of the Pokemon Icon placements and the name and money will not be in it. The placements of the icons will be rearranged.

2532fdf85eb7f9dc35f63d337c67b80e.png

HUD FEATURES:

• Character portrait in the upper right hand corner of the screen, in the little triangle area.
  • Pokemon icons down the right side of the screen, instead of the top.
  • Clock feature at the top of the screen
  • Character name and money at the top of the screen.
  • Can be toggled with the TAB button, and will notify the player at the beginning of the game.

Artwork Update!

It's everybody's favorite time of the week! And this time it's an update on Krista Harper (also one of my favs from my game ;A; ) and this is probably one of my favorite CG Character Arts thus-far! So, for those of you who really love Krista, look no further than her character artwork!

44950c1387ebd003e95945b3ac22d080-d9n1q5y

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

UPDATE

So, as of yesterday I posted about the HUD for my game, and some of you have told me about the toggle option for it. So, I went ahead and programmed in the Toggle Feature for the HUD so that way if you DO want to use it you are free to do so. However, I still need to program in the portion that gets rid of the HUD whenever an event is triggered. I do have an idea of how it might work, but, it may be a little awkward, so... yeah. But, down below I created a NOT completed version of the HUD, and I made it stylized to the game's general menu setup that you all have seen previously. However, there will be some unique features that this HUD will have that is not shown in the screenshot below. And again, this is just a mockup of what is to come, so, nothing that you see in this shot will be final. In fact, none of the Pokemon Icon placements and the name and money will not be in it. The placements of the icons will be rearranged.

2532fdf85eb7f9dc35f63d337c67b80e.png

HUD FEATURES:

• Character portrait in the upper right hand corner of the screen, in the little triangle area.
  • Pokemon icons down the right side of the screen, instead of the top.
  • Clock feature at the top of the screen
  • Character name and money at the top of the screen.
  • Can be toggled with the TAB button, and will notify the player at the beginning of the game.

Artwork Update!

It's everybody's favorite time of the week! And this time it's an update on Krista Harper (also one of my favs from my game ;A; ) and this is probably one of my favorite CG Character Arts thus-far! So, for those of you who really love Krista, look no further than her character artwork!

44950c1387ebd003e95945b3ac22d080-d9n1q5y

Krista <3 she is beautifulz , muh 2nd fav char forrealz

Now only Marissa is left from the 6, even though she is one of my least fav chars, I'm always enjoying the sight of heterochromia anyway :ph34r:

Krista <3 she is beautifulz , muh 2nd fav char forrealz

Now only Marissa is left from the 6, even though she is one of my least fav chars, I'm always enjoying the sight of heterochromia anyway :ph34r:

Hahah, yup! Marissa will be interesting to make, but, it will be coming, hopefully this week or next week!

Obligatory Artwork Update :D

Soooooo, last but not least, if you guys really like Marissa, here is Marissa Brennan's character artwork, featuring herself with her partner: Umbreon!

commission__marissa_brennan_card_cg_by_r

So, over the past week or so I've been creating a BUNCH of NPC's and Trainers, as well as writing several thousand more words worth of dialogue into the game. It's been pretty busy, but, I've also been spending some time off, with other things, such as the Tales of Symphonia Co-Op Playthrough that Amethyst and I have been doing! But, other than that, I've been making good progress, and I am hoping to get even more done, by the start of this week!

• Upvote 1

I gotta say, Marissa turned out with somehow the worst artwork .. Being my least liked girl aside, it just has a lackluster feel to it when I put it side by side with the rest :ph34r: (and the umbreon looks odd too)

Really? I actually really like this one. And Umbreon looks a little off, I know, but that's just because of the artist's art-style ^^; Besides, I think that Marissa has one of the better inner-circles for her background.

After the game is finished...

I know this seems like a bizarre thing to think of, but I've finally decided to give it some thought. I mentioned this in my Symphonic Horizon Group Page on DeviantART, but...

Once I finish my game, I am going to focus my time and efforts on a couple Manga projects that I've been wanting to do, such as focusing all of my time on the Symphonic Horizon Manga, made by Keikokup along with some fan-manga projects involving Tales of Symphonia, and Symphonic Horizon 2: United Worlds. However, I don't plan on making Symphonic Horizon 2 a video game... And the reason be is because... I'm just one guy working on my game, with no other help, aside from my close friends on DeviantART who provide artwork, which are then turned into character sprites. Given that I've worked so hard for so many years on my game as it is, with no team whatsoever, I'm going to have to make the sequel a manga exclusive; unless something ends up changing my mind.

So, as it stands right now: I am currently 50% of the way done with the game, as the end-game occurs at the Central Continent, instead of on the 4th continent of Lumia. See map below:

dc677f2e_dc80_4ee1_9316_19c4fd1c648e_by_

Currently the script is at it's half-way point as well, but, if I'm given enough motivation, I can possibly finish the game next year.

So, that's how things are going to be for my game, and the future of the series.

Pokemon Symphonic Horizon 2: United Worlds will be, until further notice, a Manga exclusive.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Why don't you recruit other people that you know that are good at stuff like, mapping, scripting, etc.?

EDIT: Thanks for adding Lucas, BTW.

The last time I tried that, which was last week, no one bothered. I even openly ask people on these forum posts, and still no one really takes up the offer. I posted a team recruitment post on Pokecommunity, but I got no real response.

O.o I never even saw that...

So, in short, I am indeed recruiting people, however, chances of anyone taking up the offer is .00234% XD I changed the title of the forum to say that I am currently recruiting, but that will increase the odds to a .02344% chance :P But, if anyone is willing to be a part of my game, that would amazing and I would love them long time.

Edited by Dylanrockin