Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

Just a little progress update so far on the progress of my work. So far, I spent all night working on several scenes as well as some new optional boss fights that will prove to tear your hair out, since... even I had trouble fighting them ;w; But, so far, I created several new item types as well as creating several more skits to the game.

The new item types and what they do are listed below:

New EV Enhancing Items

• Strength Beyond Strength - Increases Attack EV's to their highest level. Basically, it increases it up to 252. These items are incredibly rare, and cannot be purchased by any means.
  • All EV Enhancing items that bring a certain stat up to 252.

Costumes

Now, costumes are interesting in that, they are Key Items that you have to use, and once you use them, they change you into whichever costume you chose. They are unlocked through specific events throughout the game, and those very same events can be quite humorous, and they often times delve into some interesting conversations.

The costumes that are currently available are:

• Summer Beach Clothes - Marissa, and Vice only at the moment.
  • Halloween Attire - Currently only have Vice and Hiro
  • Verdant Attire - Vice exclusive
Edited by Dylanrockin

Sooooo, here is a little sneak preview of Vivian's Beach Attire, coming soon, to a forum near you ;D I know Masquerain will, hopefully, like this. This is the last of the character artwork for the costumes, and for Vivian this is her lineart for her beach attire:

Yes, she is in-fact wearing a full piece swimming suit under her blue jean shorts ;) And, just so I can clear this up, before any boob talk comes around, those boobs are accurate to her age - she is 16. Now that that boob talk has been cast aside, I won't be posting anything new in regards to character art for awhile, since I'm gonna be more busy working on my game as a whole, as well as programming in new stuff for the game.

commishdylanrockinviviancg02_by_rialynar

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Dayum. Gebus christina, I shallt definitely one day do fanart of dis. Wellp. I can not possibly complain here (what a miracle right? :ph34r: ) Vivian be op no matter wha she wears. I hope the color scheme will suit her as well

The color scheme will definitely fit her, and fanart you say? Intrigue me you have XD I am curious what the scene could be for you to do for it.

The color scheme will definitely fit her, and fanart you say? Intrigue me you have XD I am curious what the scene could be for you to do for it.

Really any fanart I do starts out with no real scenes but just a random pose for the char or sumt. Maybe scenes will get inspired by playing the game and stuff

So, here is the last of the Summer Beach Costumes, with the best saved for last! This is Vivian in her Beach Costume! And before anyone mentions it, yes, I know her shorts are too teal colored, they will be changed tomorrow XD

commishdylanrockinviviancg02_by_rialynar

As for now, the next costumes that will be coming around are the Pirate costumes, that will be drawn by a different artist.

• Upvote 2

I'd honestly make em black.. that light ....cyan?teal? idek.. definitely is no color for vivian. Also, wye did u change her slippers to sandals with straps? I think it looked better the way sketch portrayed it, but the rest is awesome

Well, I plan on having her be set to the usual blue jeans look, because I that's what I think when it comes down to going to the beach ;P The current color is going to be changed, mainly because it just seems very odd for her. But, at least she has her black coat-thing on. And I wasn't really planning on having her with the heels, and I didn't really notice until now. Although, that might not be changed since it's not really that big of a deal, since they are kinda similar looking, and it's stylish and original for her design.

I still believe white or black would suit her color palette better. That blue is cringy .. it may remain so even if it goes darker :v But aye, up to you

I dunno, it depends, because at the moment, I don't know what my artist will do, since I haven't heard back from her today. And yes, I am changing THAT specific shade of blue, because it is pretty... not that good. But it will look like Hilda levels of blue, in terms of her shorts. Besides, I think that Vivian with traditional colored jean shorts seems pretty cool, and its a unique take on her personality.

• Developers

Somehow she looks much cuter on the original colorless sketch. Her face on the sketch looks kind of melancholical and I fell in love with that. On the new image she looks as if upset by something. Depends on what you were going for of course. :-)

Also is it just me or is her head smaller on the color image?

Somehow she looks much cuter on the original colorless sketch. Her face on the sketch looks kind of melancholical and I fell in love with that. On the new image she looks as if upset by something. Depends on what you were going for of course. :-)

Also is it just me or is her head smaller on the color image?

That's just how it goes, when it comes down to going from sketch ---> full art, but she's just meant to be looking at something/someone in the image curiously.

Again, that's just because the image is compressed, this a jpg version of the image, so it's been shrunk down, and compressed so it's just because of the file format and change of resolution. I have the full png version, with the correct resolution, but for when I post this stuff, it has to be the jpg versions.

You know, everyone is talking about how the pic looks and the color problems, but I've honestly been distracted by something else:

how in the world do her shorts even stay on?

Well, they are tight jean shorts, so you can just imagine that they kind of hold themselves up ;) I mean, suspension of disbelief is a thing :P

But, in this version of her swim suit, it actually has a pretty stylish belt ;)

Okay, so now Vivian's official swim suit is now finished, and to be honest... I really freaking love this design! I wasn't intending for it to look this cool, actually ;A;

commishdylanrockinviviancg02final_by_ria

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Your link doesn't work for me. And yeah, I also notice a change from the sketch to the actual colored product.. Gotta admit I prefer the sketch as well

EDIT: Nvm it works now. Told you black is the way to go. That said, the sketch still looks better because her leg posture is less...squished. I do hope you didn't get charged another 15$ for a change of jeans colors tho :huh: :huh:

Edited by Masquerain

Your link doesn't work for me. And yeah, I also notice a change from the sketch to the actual colored product.. Gotta admit I prefer the sketch as well

EDIT: Nvm it works now. Told you black is the way to go. That said, the sketch still looks better because her leg posture is less...squished. I do hope you didn't get charged another 15$ for a change of jeans colors tho :huh: :huh:

I didn't. At least I hope I didn't XD But, the bewbs never lie.

Also, here is a little montage of things to expect in future parts of the game ;) There is no dialogue, but you can all take your guess as to what is happening.

marissaf.gif

gug.gif

kristaheal.gif

hirogif.gif

allangif.gif

viceverdant.gif

Also, here is another skit video! Because, it's been forever since I last posted one XD

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

Okay, this is a bit of a semi-serious update, and this is mainly because of some thoughts that I've been having as of late. So, far I've been really disappointed in myself, in terms of multiple things, involving my game: Mainly the lack of skills that I have, in comparison to others, when it comes to custom tiles and other things like it. My mapping skills have gone down the tube, and are no longer even relevant at this point. And because of that, it just now dawned on me that I haven't been trying nearly as hard as I could with my game, and that... has kind of depressed me as of late.

Because of that, and my inability to adapt, I've been starting to lose a lot of motivation for my game, and I am now starting lose interest in continuing the project as a whole. I feel like I've lost my edge, and honestly, what I wanna know is: What exactly is it that you guys like about my game, that has already been done in others?

Besides, I know some devs. out there would love for that to happen.

Edited by Dylanrockin

To be honest, I don't think we as observers can really suggest anything until we've had a chance to play through a small portion of the game ourselves. Despite all the media you've put up out there, and how you feel about releasing something you deem incomplete, no one has any real idea about how you, as a creator, can improve the game without really witnessing what you've already done ourselves.

Take Pokemon Rejuvenation, for one. That game today is now DRASTICALLY different from what it used to be. V6 in particular was almost entirely a total retcon of the game, with almost all of the areas prior to the new events added having been completely redone. The sheer amount of improvements that game made since were massive in scale.

Don't be afraid to show us something that you think is imperfect. All great ideas exist to be scrutinized, and the truly great ones survive and adapt over time.

Edited by Alilatias
  • Upvote 3

I have already played through a small portion of what the game had as a beta tester, and I can tell you that your worries are as usual, groundless and far too exaggerated :ph34r: . If you feel that bad about your mapping, ask for help. I am sure there are people willing to help with mapping or provide advice. The most important thing with such an ambitious project is to never take it all upon yourself. You may think yourself a loner but you're not alone and doing it all alone stresses you out. This inevitably leads to what you've written today sooner or later, so don't be afraid to ask for help. That aside, I wholeheartedly agree with Alilatias' post. I'm sure I speak for all of us followers of your game when I say we'd rather have a completely imperfect version than to see this project discontinued. Did you not say a few posts up that the money and time you've spent on this is something among other things that would keep you from even thinking of dropping it? :huh: I believe you are correct in writing that as it'd be a huge shame if you'd let all of that go down the drain, and all of us interested to see this game through will be disappointed as well.

• Developers

I really want to play it to be honest. Currently I absolutely love all the thought going into the characters and I can tell you've put so much effort into it. Even if it's unfinished, I think you should let the community here play something, it'll really motivate you to work once you hear feedback!

Please, please keep working on this. This is the one fangame I really want to succeed.

To be honest, I don't think we as observers can really suggest anything until we've had a chance to play through a small portion of the game ourselves. Despite all the media you've put up out there, and how you feel about releasing something you deem incomplete, no one has any real idea about how you, as a creator, can improve the game without really witnessing what you've already done ourselves.

Take Pokemon Rejuvenation, for one. That game today is now DRASTICALLY different from what it used to be. V6 in particular was almost entirely a total retcon of the game, with almost all of the areas prior to the new events added having been completely redone. The sheer amount of improvements that game made since were massive in scale.

Don't be afraid to show us something that you think is imperfect. All great ideas exist to be scrutinized, and the truly great ones survive and adapt over time.

Well, for all of you: what do you want as a whole? I want to try and get a demo out, but the thought of there not being enough game to play is always lingering on my mind. I've been not releasing my game, mainly because I want to make something that looks like it was made specifically for my game; in terms of mapping, characterization, and story. Something that you guys could play and think that everything that you see is non-traditional, and takes no cues from other games, besides itself. To be unique and original on it's own terms, and for people to recognize that.

I have already played through a small portion of what the game had as a beta tester, and I can tell you that your worries are as usual, groundless and far too exaggerated :ph34r: . If you feel that bad about your mapping, ask for help. I am sure there are people willing to help with mapping or provide advice. The most important thing with such an ambitious project is to never take it all upon yourself. You may think yourself a loner but you're not alone and doing it all alone stresses you out. This inevitably leads to what you've written today sooner or later, so don't be afraid to ask for help. That aside, I wholeheartedly agree with Alilatias' post. I'm sure I speak for all of us followers of your game when I say we'd rather have a completely imperfect version than to see this project discontinued. Did you not say a few posts up that the money and time you've spent on this is something among other things that would keep you from even thinking of dropping it? :huh: I believe you are correct in writing that as it'd be a huge shame if you'd let all of that go down the drain, and all of us interested to see this game through will be disappointed as well.

It wouldn't be so hard for me, if my constant ocd for perfectionism wasn't a thing. And what good is giving other people a chance to work alongside me, if a good portion of those people who tried doing that before were always out for themselves. After that kind of thing happens, you stop trusting a lot of people who are willing to help, and it's hard for me to want to accept help from anyone, given past circumstances. Besides, I openly stated a couple times before if anyone was willing to help, and I even went to the length of asking back on Pokecommunity (which asking there, in itself, is a bad idea), and even here, and no one was really willing to offer any help. So, at that point, I just gave up searching and I now take matters into my own hands, because if you want something done right: you do it yourself.

I really want to play it to be honest. Currently I absolutely love all the thought going into the characters and I can tell you've put so much effort into it. Even if it's unfinished, I think you should let the community here play something, it'll really motivate you to work once you hear feedback!

Please, please keep working on this. This is the one fangame I really want to succeed.

Well, at the end of the day: Any liquid-up hillbilly with a keyboard and mouse could do exactly what I've done, at the zoo. And as much as I want to release my game, I want to release something that could be deemed worthy of a demo, and in my eyes that's hard to achieve. And when you have constant time constraints, among other depressing life factors to deal with, it's just not looking all too likely.

But, to everyone reading this, I'm going to try and push out more work... But chances are, I won't have much inspiration to work with, or even manage to get working right.

Edited by Dylanrockin