Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

if you want it to be different, you can give it a 10% chance to freeze after the timestop.. As in... Hit-> time stop-> free hit but a 10% chance that opponent will freeze before that free hit

tho thats just as op...oh well

It doesn't seem as op, especially since I can control any status effect on a whim, especially for how long it lasts ;) So, I could do what you said, but it could have a 10% chance of freezing them for 1 turn, or having Time Stop as it's own status effect, and just Time Stopping them for a whole 1 turn, which counts as the turn after the initial hit.

To an extent it reminds me of the focus band; it CAN be op but the 10% barely occurs when needed XD

Pretty much, for it to be considered over powered would it literally being more than 10%, because... 10% rarely happens, and more often than not you end up KO'ing the opponent before it even triggers. So, it's pretty much situational, and I like that, since it's quite surprising to you when it does happen.

Good lord. The work and detail you put is stalwart! The fact that it has full blown art and a lot of minor details really nails the point in how professional your work is. The animated sprites in itself are already amazing for me, but the other tidbits such as the players, and the uniqueness of the mechanics really make it eye-catching! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this game, and I'll keep on hoping that your inspiration for this game never dies.

I wish you the best of luck!

Good lord. The work and detail you put is stalwart! The fact that it has full blown art and a lot of minor details really nails the point in how professional your work is. The animated sprites in itself are already amazing for me, but the other tidbits such as the players, and the uniqueness of the mechanics really make it eye-catching! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this game, and I'll keep on hoping that your inspiration for this game never dies.

I wish you the best of luck!

Professional is debatable XD But, I'm trying as hard as I can to capture that essence of a series from which inspired this game as a whole: Tales of Symphonia, which is mainly the reason behind a lot of the delays involving my game. That said, I've been trying to get as much as I can done, within the 18 hour time limit that my body can function for, before I collapse ;w;

Edited by Dylanrockin

In honor to one of my closest friends from deviantART, I present to you, fanart from her ;w; Alas, she deleted her current dA, and all that's left is this OTL This was drawn around the early stages of my game, and back when Serena and another mystery girl was going to be playable ;)

request_from_dylanrockin2122_by_rieneko-

request3__from_dylanrockin2122_by_rienek

Also, as a casual aside, I've gotten even more eventing done throughout the course of the past few days. Even though I was slightly distracted by... OSU and the likes XD Pokemon XY and Z intro theme kicks ass, just so we're clear! And it's fun to play in OSU. I created several new skit scenes, and improved older events, as well as the camera work, so that the scenes look way more dynamic and impressive then they were before.

I've also started working on new battle system changes, such as when in certain boss fights, Character Abilities are negated, and have no effect whatsoever.

Also, I'm deciding not to go with the "Episodic" approach. Instead, what you will be getting are essentially just demo's that end at a certain point. Again, it's mainly because it wouldn't suit the game's narrative and general mechanics as a whole; it's more suited to be 1 whole game. That and I just don't like the idea of my game harboring the title of an "Episodic Game" even though it's clearly not geared towards it. I'd rather be authentic to the source material from which the game was inspired upon, than be wrong. It's just a personal preference, and I'm doing it, willingly, even though it will put more stress on me as time goes by.

That said, here's a skit to pass the time ;)

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 3

You know, no matter what name you wanna give it, the whole point of this is to release -something- to the public for them to actually be able to give you better feedback on what you should improve on, what you did good and so on :v stop clinging so much onto what you call the game

In other news, I am glad that you scrapped whatever ideas you had in those early stages...Those characters look far less likeable than what we have right now

This isn't an update, but, what would you guys like to see more of, in this game? Like, do you guys think that there should be more character abilities, or new, original field effects that are NOT used in Reborn; since I prefer to keep my game as far away from anything Reborn uses as possible, mainly out of respect for Ame and her game. Also, if I'm going to make custom field effects, then they're going to work much differently than they do in Reborn, much like how a lot of them synergize with the specific Trainer that you're playing as, which then translates over to the Pokemon. More skits, or more other stuff?

I guess this is kind of an update, but, I've been reworking several features of the battle system, and improved enemy AI, drastically. The battle system now incorporates several new features that are exclusive to my game's Multi-Variable Trainer Battle System. That and I heavily modified EBS to incorporate new functions. Also, now if you choose Mania mode as your difficulty of choice, EXP gained is decreased down to 75%, which means that if you were to gain 100 EXP on Normal or Hard, would then be 75 EXP on Mania. Look it's the hardest difficulty in the game; you didn't think that there wouldn't be a catch to it, aside from enemy's being tougher did you?

Also, a new feature was added to the end of battle situations, but, that is a secret for another time ;) A lot of programming was put into this release of the game, and I'm quite proud of what I made.

Edited by Dylanrockin

So... I just got an unexpected file format error, thanks to my computer not wanting to wake up... so... I now lost all the progress that I worked up to. But, I at least had a backup from 2 months ago, so... all is not totally lost. But still... all those maps, and all those events now have to be redone. I feel like such a loser now that this has happened...

Edit:

Well, I figured out how, reluctantly, but not by anyone on the internet, and I'm surprised that no one knows about this trick, now that I found it. All you have to do is copy over the scripts, and other none database files, along with overwriting the maps. Now, that won't fix it right away, you have to essentially delete all your maps, and then re-import them, and they will have all their event data and everything :D So, now I am back up to snuff with my game, with no problems whatsoever!

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 2

This isn't an update, but, what would you guys like to see more of, in this game? Like, do you guys think that there should be more character abilities, or new, original field effects that are NOT used in Reborn;

If the characters that are to use have hidden abilities as Hiro have

(Time Stop)

maybe Could Also be fair in villains or bosses use that skills too. (And perhaps depending on the difficulty, the enemies have a higher percentage of activate that skills)

If the characters that are to use have hidden abilities as Hiro have

(Time Stop)

maybe Could Also be fair in villains or bosses use that skills too. (And perhaps depending on the difficulty, the enemies have a higher percentage of activate that skills)

Personally I don't think that random, mook-Trainers should really have character abilities, because as I mentioned in a previous post: The reason why these characters have these abilities, is because they were naturally born with them. Krista especially is a one of a kind person, which no other Trainer can replicate, for reasons that I cannot state, because spoilers. The trainers that you fight, are just normal people. However, the villains, depending on who it is, have abilities of their own.

Also, Hiro is the only character who can use Time Stop, it would make no sense if other characters had that ability XD If they're story important characters, then yes they will have their own abilities. Otherwise, normal mooks get nothing.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Just gonna pray for someone/something to resemble Abyssion then the Mania will be real~

Oh don't worry, I plan on making this game's version of Abyssion real. I have all the Verdant Arte's made. That said: Mia Vance is insanely hard because of her ability, and field effect called "The End." Which essentially puts constant a 3 turn doom counter over only your Pokemon. And if you don't knock out that Pokemon in the 3 turns given, your Pokemon faints, and the timer resets. And you can't revive because of "The End" and healing is halved for you. Also, you're permanently on a "Set" battle style in that fight.

Edited by Dylanrockin

If they're story important characters, then yes they will have their own abilities. Otherwise, normal mooks get nothing.

That´s was trying to say, just as usual I'm not explain well xD. Only If they are villains or major bosses. (By the way, about Hiro's Ability just was one example,the enemies don´t need why have a equal or similar skill how Hiro have)

That´s was trying to say, just as usual I'm not explain well xD. Only If they are villains or major bosses. (By the way, about Hiro's Ability just was one example,the enemies don´t need why have a equal or similar skill how Hiro have)

Ahh, alrighty, I kind of misinterpreted what you said, my bad XD

I seem to recall you making a post about field effects.

Any thoughts about making one or two affect the defense values of certain types instead of increasing damage/reducing damage of other types?

I like the sandstorm weather effect because it was more defensive (excl. that 1/16 damage). I don't know how to explain it but I feel like neutral tanks aren't really viable sometimes because a neutral attack powered up to the equivalent of a choice item just doesn't let them tank; I know I seem to be complaining based off my experience with the other games but I thought if certain fields let type moves deal more damage, surely some fields could enhance a type's defense instead.

Maybe I'm just a nooblet in Pokemon to be saying these things.

I do wish I had the courage to post such a thing in the main threads :P

I seem to recall you making a post about field effects.

Any thoughts about making one or two affect the defense values of certain types instead of increasing damage/reducing damage of other types?

I like the sandstorm weather effect because it was more defensive (excl. that 1/16 damage). I don't know how to explain it but I feel like neutral tanks aren't really viable sometimes because a neutral attack powered up to the equivalent of a choice item just doesn't let them tank; I know I seem to be complaining based off my experience with the other games but I thought if certain fields let type moves deal more damage, surely some fields could enhance a type's defense instead.

Maybe I'm just a nooblet in Pokemon to be saying these things.

I do wish I had the courage to post such a thing in the main threads :P

Well, I can tell that you're speaking from a competitive side of these things, and the one thing I'm not aiming for with custom, non-Reborn Field Effects, is vying towards the competitive aspect of things. Field effects are very minimal in my game, and are purely location based, or boss specific. And yes, I did make a post about, deleted it, and I did that because I was still working on a lot of them, and didn't have much to say in regards to it XD

Some field effects like Electric Terrain, etc, are activated, but most of the other ones are activated via location.

Edited by Dylanrockin

After working with field effects for a long while, I can really just say that they're a gimmick and not really needed to make great Pokemon battles or a great game. And trust me, I've had plenty of AI wars with modding Reborn and finding about 40 exploits in the process so I do suggest you know what you're doing for those higher difficulties. Still my favorite was the whole Derpbot (as I call her) using Nature Power - Sand Tomb on flying types.

I'm also so glad you didn't lose all of that work. Whenever that happens to anything I write, it really kills my motivation to keep working on it and sometimes have to take a week off. I'm also going to guess you made a backup after that mess happened so that you don't have to redo it all over again in case it happens again.

After working with field effects for a long while, I can really just say that they're a gimmick and not really needed to make great Pokemon battles or a great game. And trust me, I've had plenty of AI wars with modding Reborn and finding about 40 exploits in the process so I do suggest you know what you're doing for those higher difficulties. Still my favorite was the whole Derpbot (as I call her) using Nature Power - Sand Tomb on flying types.

I'm also so glad you didn't lose all of that work. Whenever that happens to anything I write, it really kills my motivation to keep working on it and sometimes have to take a week off. I'm also going to guess you made a backup after that mess happened so that you don't have to redo it all over again in case it happens again.

Definitely, yeah. Personally I don't care for Field Effects, myself, but, the thing is, is that the Field Effects aren't the main focus of the game; they're only purpose is to be used to synergize with Trainer abilities, and or negate abilities. They have no function on the core aspects of the game, since the main focus is on the characters, primarily. And there are only 3-4 custom ones that are in my game, that have different functions than modifying moves and other things, like the one called "The End." Which basically puts a 4 turn Doom Counter on only your Pokemon, and never goes away; and can only be refreshed back to 4 after either one of your Pokemon faints, or if you knock out one of their Pokemon. It also prevents any kind of reviving on Pokemon throughout the battle.

That is an example of a field effect in my game.

And yes, I did in fact make about... 3 backups, because paranoid XD

Edited by Dylanrockin

Why stop at 3 when you can go for 5? :ph34r:

Because I'm not all too focused on making field effects, I mainly want to prioritize the main game. 3 is enough, since that's really all that is needed. I mean there already is Electric Terrain, Misty Terrain, etc. So, about 6 total field effects in the game seems like plenty. Besides, my game isn't about the field effects system, it's about the characters :P

It was about the backups but..that works too why not

Well, I think that 3 is plenty ;D Now I will never have to fear my files being deleted, ever again!

Also, Art Update:

So, at the moment I'm not working, which basically = no art by my commissioned artist, that said, my long time friend, and fan of Symphonic Horizon helped me make the 6 main characters in Pirate costumes! Because... Pirates are cool, and I'm all about sillyness in my game, even if the overarching tone is a very serious one XD

So, here is Hiro Monochroma in her Pirate outfit, which can be unlocked later on in the game, roughly around the start of the 2nd continent! And again, the artwork that you're going to see here is made by a different artist, who did an awesome job at making these!

pirats.png

• Upvote 4

I think I won't be a fan of these pirate costumes.. I pictured pirates, not the british folks hunting the pirates

Well, that's why they're optional, you don't have to use them ;D But, this is just Hiro, so there isn't much for you to judge, based on one character design.

Edited by Dylanrockin