Wrong Impressions you initially had of the characters

Monochrome_Complex

This happens in every game, but what are some initial impressions or guesses you had on characters that ended up totally wrong later on?

-I thought Amaria was going to be the player's love interest.

-Thought Titania and Hardy were the same person...just some sprite confusion However...

- Also thought Ttania/Hardy was Cal's brother, until I learned Blake was Cal's brother than was like aaaaah.

-Thought Titania would kill Amaria later on, betraying her. Shade's gym did made it look like that and I thought she was laughing as she did it, not closing her eyes in sadness. On second replay I realized what was actually happening.

-Thought Lin was Flo/Fern's mom.

-Didn't realize the girl in shade's gym was Kiki

-Thought Aya was going to be a seductress femme fatale type character going by her portrait on this site. She has her tongue out and the purple color scheme would give off that impression, but she's not like that at all. I can see why she got her portrait changed in ep 15(give Charlotte back her smokes please)

-Thought Zell only had two personalities

-Thought taka was a sarcastic D-bag who is only looking out for himself and plays both sides

-Thought Sirius was loyal to Solaris and Lin...but he's really not and just a massive snake, hinted at being the catalyst for much of the protags' suffering.

-Completely detested Heather. Admittedly she's the most unlikable character in the game when you first meet her but later on develops into a more likable one. But my lord that scene with shelly and cain in the gym, it just makes you want to punch her.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-I thought that Fern wouldn't be too bad.

-I thought that Victoria was going to have some relevance to most of the plot.

-I thought that Cain was going to really annoy me.

-I thought that Solaris was the head of Team Meteor and as evil as you can get.

-Cain is the only one that doesn't say "hi I'm Reborn's *insert position*, related to *insert character*" the moment you meet him (unlike Ame, Julia and Victoria, who immediately tell you they're a manager/leader/student), so I thought that his role in the plot would literally be "just some guy". Some random jolly fella who likes Poison-types and is doing the league challenge, but still shows up frequently.

-I thought that Fern wouldn't be too bad.

-Couldn't tell Solaris and Sirius apart for the life of me. Even now, I tell 'em apart by presence of eyepatch or fancy coat.

-It's not really something I thought, but I certainly hoped Heather would just disappear somehow. From the second she started ignoring people and only saying "..." when talked to, I was instantly reminded of that pest from Suikoden 2 that did the same. I love Suikoden 2, but never touch the game just because of 2 characters, one of which is that one. At least you can just not talk to Heather.

-Thought rather lowly of Ciel, till I saw what you get if you talk to her at the end of E15.

- Thought that Fern wouldn't be that bad.

- Thought that Cain would disappear from the plot.

- ...And that Victoria would stick around.

- Thought that nothing Anna said had any relevance at all the first time around.

- Thought that Terra wouldn't melt my brain.

• Global Mods

-I thought Fern would be one of those characters that's hard on the outside, but caring on the inside and just doesn't like to show it.

-I thought Taka's politeness was sarcastic until I learned about the Chatot freeing you from the cage if you don't beg to Fern.

-I thought Ame was going to be the Champion until I read otherwise on the forums. A lot of people probably did.

-I didn't think Aster and Eclipse would really do anything major besides battling you or have any character development, because they were just grunts.

-I thought Sigmund was just some kind of sick sadist. I had no idea he actually thought he was helping children.

-I thought Team Meteor might be after Deoxys, because meteor.

Also I'm honestly surprised El didn't dislike Adrienn for being non-binary, seeing as Arceism seems a lot like fundamentalism (the comments regarding Cain and Bennett).

Also I'm honestly surprised El didn't dislike Adrienn for being non-binary, seeing as Arceism seems a lot like fundamentalism (the comments regarding Cain and Bennett).

Actually, yeah, that's a good point. I guess that the Arceus cultists aren't quite as bad when it comes to inclusion? More likely is that the topic didn't come up at all.

Edited by SkyRunner

Actually, yeah, that's a good point. I guess that the Arceus cultists aren't quite as bad when it comes to inclusion? More likely is that the topic didn't come up at all.

Well, they only had contact in the part of the story where El wanted all of us to side with him against Radomus, and you don't get someone on your side by saying how much you don't like them (if he even has anything against Adrienn).

Thought cain was a girl...

lol @shofu

-Thought Titania was gonna be evil

-Thought Corey was a depressing jerk, but damn he's one of my favorite characters...

-Still kinda think this but I thought Radomus was genuinely in the wrong when you were with El and Adrienn

-Thought Victoria would be a more consistent rival

-That Bennett wouldn't be such a f*ckboi

And this is kinda off topic but I was so confused forever on how Laura could be an E4 member when Flobot was already a grass-leader... then I realized the E4 weren't just the 4 strongest gym leaders like I originally thought, and that they didn't give a hoot about gym leader types.

-I initially thought Fern was pretty cool, just a bit rude/annoyed from going to the wrong factory. Oh, how wrong I was...

-I sort of thought Alice(the player character) and Luna were the same person, or at least related, until I got to Valhanen Castle(the only thing I saw about Luna at the time was the forum logo at the time).

-I thought Cain was gay, and would have different dialogue if you picked one of the female characters. Turns out he's pansexual.

-I thought Sigmund was a sick, depraved monster. Turns out he's actually misguided because of losing his sister.

-I thought Heather was just a spoiled brat and that her dad would be the typical stressed out single parent. I don't even know how far from the truth that description is.

-I didn't even know/remember ZEL had multiple personalities during my first run of the game. I was completely confused about them until my second playthrough.

-I thought Blake was the meteor agent mentioned in the Lumi's diary(yeah. I'm a complete dumbass).

-I thought Solaris and Sirius were the same person at first, and still kept getting them mixed up after I realised they weren't the same person.

-I was actually completely livid with Shelly because of her gym puzzle. To the point where I didn't care at all whenever she got threatened and actually hoped she would get killed. I regret that now.

-I didn't think Florinia was repressing her emotions when I first saw her dialogue. I didn't even pick up that she was speaking like a robot(hence Fern's insulting nickname).

Thought cain was a girl...

I totally probably would've thought that until I saw the title Pretty Boy and I was like wut?

-My worst had to be mistaking El for Hank Ischtar from Yu-Gi-Oh abridged. Just imagining him with that voice just made it so that I couldn't take him seriously (though I suppose it's not too much of a stretch as they have similarities).

-After knowing Cain, i thought Aya was going to be also vibrant one, turned out she wasnt~

-Fern was just foulmouthed in early game, turned out he was even jerkier than i originally thought he was~

-thought Cain was only bi, turned out he was pansexual after Adrienne scene~

- I thought Cain was going to be a lot more over-the-top and creepy.

- Victoria would be useful.

- Ame would be more prominent.

- My very very initial thought of Adrienn was that xe was male. (sorry :c )

- I thought I would not get massively attached to any of them

/shot

Aaanyway:

- I was expecting Titania to be a double agent, based on her interactions with the Meteors in Aventurine, her appearance in the foreshadowing of Amaria's jump, and Hardy's comment about how one would expect her to stab you with a knife.

- I thought I'd find Cain to be annoying, because I tend to not like flirty characters at all.

- I spent a fair time thinking that ZEL were female by body, because the battle/front sprite looks so very feminine. I was honestly surprised to find out they shared Zero's body, despite the fact that the character design matches Umbreon.

- I thought I was gonna hate Fern's guts, but ended up being quite fond of him as a character. Should have guessed that this would happen because I tend to like characters who are jerks, but then again, I don't like Blake at all...

- For a while I had the misconception that Charlotte is older than Laura.

- I expected Taka and Lumi to be the team's token "not so bad" guys (well, guy and girl), and everyone else to be portrayed as unambiguously evil. Guess the canon games got me into this mindset, since it's rare for more than two villain characters to get any significant notion of a unique personality at all.

- In my first playthrough I didn't get the police officers before the PULSE battle, so I didn't get Corey's extra story bit. I failed to realize that he'd been a Meteor Agent at all, until I learned of the extra story.

...And uh, does "I thought Terra would be somewhat bearable" count?

Lol @ the solaris/sirius and Luna/alice confusion. I had the same problem at first.

-I thought the pyramid on Radomus' head when you first meet him was a blonde powdered wig and he was like a fat snob. I still give him this sort of posh smug accent when reading his voice in my head. Wasn't until I saw his banner artwork that this was cleared up.

-I thought Adrienne was a hermaphrodite. Actually I still consider it possible.

-Thought Sirius was the leader oif Team Meteor, not lin.

- I thought solaris and sirius were the same person

- I thought that Fern would only start out as an a-hole and then turn better

- I thought shade was evil

- I thought ZEL had only 1 personality and wondered why they sounded so weird

- I also thought that ZEL would quickly betray meteor and turn good

- I thought Luna was Alice's twin sister or something

- I thought Taka would be a fodder character we only see one time

- I thought Terra would stop speaking ridiculously once you find out she's in Meteor

- I thought that Anna and Noel's father was one of the bad guys (now I just think it's Radomus)

can't think of any other immediate ones right now

-I didn't realize shades gym was showing prophecies. I thought they were just scenes of past death (Corey being the only person I recognized). As such, I thought the scene showing Kiki and Garchomp was actually Silver from Gen 2 and the Garchomp was from Giovanni.

-Fern joining team meteor. Did not see that coming.

-Julia appearing at the end of E15 and making the game funny again rather than depressing.

-I also thought Cain was a girl

-I though Victoria would play more a role in the game

-I thought I might end up finding Corey's Crobat

-I thought Rodomus might be a villain

-I thought Fern might have some Gary Oak style points

-I thought I would hate Sigmund. Honestly, I feel like he's the perfect mad scientist type character

-I thought I wouldn't have a hard time with Noel, Samson,Shade, Ect...

I thought that Amaria was a super cheerful, totally not-suicidal person!

But then I read her diary in the Onyx Trainers' School, and I was like "Dang, she puts up a convincing facade. Call her TM42."

-I thought Bennett would be good guy

-I was totally convinced that Gardevoir went to the dark side ^.^'

-I thought Florinia would be easy with no fire type

-I thought Saphira (at least I think it was her) would be evil when she came out of Dr. Connal's place

Edited by naevanyx