[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

*Raises pompoms for Ame and dev team*

Since the door is for the "Quiz Guy" is non-existent for Ep. 15, will it still be at that same spot or maybe in a different place? Don't tell if you want to surprise us in anticipating it. Also, I guess it won't be available until Post-Ciel for the "reward's" balancing placement. Maybe he can be accessed pre-Reborn clean-up but he will only ask you questions after the city is fixed. I want to speculate the reward possibilities but I don't want to expect anything underwhelming nor overwhelming.

*agitates in excitement*

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

today was pretty good

as you might be able to tell by the sudden jump in progress

made the white versions of obsidia, lapis and coral

also took a wrench to the AI.

so here's a little story about how base essentials AI is....... i'm not going to say stupid, but it prioritizes randomness over making good decisions. I won't say that's inherently bad, but things like, a deliberately coded 10% chance to NOT choose the best move after it's been identified, annoy me. there was also something that gave it a 30% chance to select the 'wrong' target in doubles. that's annoying too.

so i removed them.

that has it's drawbacks in that battles will probably be less varied... but, worth.

I also changed how it handles choosing the best moves. Like before, if a certain condition was met (which was usually only in an extreme circumstance (a 4x weakness was apparently often not extreme)) it would consider using a certain move instead of just picking one randomly. Now it'll always check for good moves (and won't have a chance to not use them -.-)

Here's Coral. I'll just start posting these weekly.

That one is certainly interesting, although I feel like it still has this weird spooky vibe to it, perhaps even more than the original Coral Ward one 0.o

Super excited for Obsidia :3

so here's a little story about how base essentials AI is....... i'm not going to say stupid, but it prioritizes randomness over making good decisions. I won't say that's inherently bad, but things like, a deliberately coded 10% chance to NOT choose the best move after it's been identified, annoy me. there was also something that gave it a 30% chance to select the 'wrong' target in doubles. that's annoying too.

Oh yeah, it was very noticeable though I'm starting to question if the makers of essentials are a bunch of trolls now. I have had plenty of time to get comfortable with the AI and it's shenanigans. The number of times I had to manipulate the AI (cough Helioptile cough) just to get it to work was rough due to that. I'd say the AI system is more like an old car with the Windshield missing. It works, but it's not always a pleasant ride.

so i removed them.

that has it's drawbacks in that battles will probably be less varied... but, worth.

I also changed how it handles choosing the best moves. Like before, if a certain condition was met (which was usually only in an extreme circumstance (a 4x weakness was apparently often not extreme)) it would consider using a certain move instead of just picking one randomly. Now it'll always check for good moves (and won't have a chance to not use them -.-)

Coral still spooky (which is good)

A.I. eh....i specifically remember "someone" tell me only the doubles A.I. was "bad" while i thought it became dumb overall...soooo turns out i was right, well i hope it really got better.

Coral Ward sounds nice; the ending caught me a bit off guard, but it fits well.

This is what Essentials AI could be, though. At least they didn't make every move completely random (just... annoyingly random), mmm?

Definitely seen Taka switch Chatot in while Tangrowth was killing everything with ease (thereby killing Chatot). And Lileep using Constrict on a Ghost. The latter made me wonder what was wrong with the AI. Good to see it's... just Essentials being Essentials.

Gee, I really need to start playing this game with the sound on! The music is fantastic!

Nice to see you're touching up essentials AI too. It certainly needs it. While you're at it you should go into the coding for the animation editor and make the define curve feature even vaguely usable :P

I'm at least mostly joking.

Great to see we're at 50% progress!

Oho! 51%, and as people have stated, that means it's time for FIELD EFFECT HYPE -shoots off party poppers-

...AHem. Anyways, can't wait for that! White Coral sounds fantastic, keeps the same overall kind of unsettling theme. Even though it's rebuilt, something still feels...out of place. Adrienn is probably the reason, after all, this isn't xyr time, now is it? But with all that's going down, I like the upbeat theme~

today was pretty good

as you might be able to tell by the sudden jump in progress

so i removed them.

you know... that good but... bad... there were definite times where the AI SEEMED to be lacking.... and times when i enjoyed it being lacking. IE, keeping togekiss out using all HP recovery items on it when my toxic is up to the point of 50+% hp (much like the current progress bar). So its good that the AI wont be so idiot... but it terrifies me for the elite 90 that we're gonna have to fight that will all play like Callum or Shady... if we're lucky like Patterrz ;)that last part is my mostly kidding... kinda

Wait we're past the 50% mark now?!?

I should probably complete this playthrough I'm on then. Stupid hard drive crash is now making me race the clock.

Then again, I could cause myself unnecessary grief by waiting for the AI update before fighting Charlotte or Ciel...

Also I hope that update means that shelly's Illumise uses rain dance turn 1. Lets see how many people enjoy that battle after that happens :P

Edited by sound of silence

Also I hope that update means that shelly's Illumise uses rain dance turn 1. Lets see how many people enjoy that battle after that happens :P

No, I believe that specific AI for leaders would be settled in... 19? I can't remember the episode exactly, but I'm pretty sure that it was said that it wouldn't happen soon.

No, I believe that specific AI for leaders would be settled in... 19? I can't remember the episode exactly, but I'm pretty sure that it was said that it wouldn't happen soon.

Where was that stated? Did I miss something?

Wait we're past the 50% mark now?!?

I should probably complete this playthrough I'm on then. Stupid hard drive crash is now making me race the clock.

Then again, I could cause myself unnecessary grief by waiting for the AI update before fighting Charlotte or Ciel...

Well, you don't really have to try to speed through it. I mean we're at 51%, but it's been... what, a little over 6 months, and they still have to do all the mapping for the rebuilt city. So, unfortunately it's still gonna be a while.

• Administrators

Sundays are my days to deal with stuff on the site, so not much will happen with the game on Sundays. Combine that with animation reviews on weekend nights, and weekends in general will usually be dead times.

A.I. eh....i specifically remember "someone" tell me only the doubles A.I. was "bad" while i thought it became dumb overall...soooo turns out i was right, well i hope it really got better.

That was probably me. I was was wrong-- well, half-wrong.

Nice to see you're touching up essentials AI too. It certainly needs it. While you're at it you should go into the coding for the animation editor and make the define curve feature even vaguely usable :P

dude same. There are so many features I'd change if I felt comfortable doing that >_> but its not a priority compared to other things

That's the idea!

There are already a couple things in for some leaders, like the above. It's Field-Effect specific stuff that's saved for E19.

Well, you don't really have to try to speed through it. I mean we're at 51%, but it's been... what, a little over 6 months, and they still have to do all the mapping for the rebuilt city. So, unfortunately it's still gonna be a while.

Frankly, I would take mapping over everything I've had to do so far, any day.

This progress excites me. The Coral Ward one sounds like Shade is watching over a Happiny as its guardian angel. He looks ominous, but he really wants it to be safe and happy, and Happiny understands this.

That would actually be a very heartwarming event, but Happiny can already be caught in the wild. :(

Looks like all the Reborn City themes will be re-made into more light-hearted versions then! B-But does that mean a more menacing theme for the Team Xen Admins at that point?

Liking these restored Reborn themes, it'll be nice to hear those in game. The uplifting mood will be a pleasant change of pace after hearing the more down and foreboding tracks for a good twenty something hours in a playthrough. (The ruined Reborn city themes are quite good as well, but this'll bring a feeling of progress.)

Edited by Mighty Kamina