Pokemon Se7en - Currently on hiatus

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

or maybe I'll try to go for a Grass-type run... hmmm... (as soon as enough grass-types are available^^)

Following up on this, I figured I'd post a list of the most viable types for mono runs as of Ep 2. Considering that we are planning to add at least one representative per type in Ep 3, this should effectively mean that every type with 3 or 4 representatives in Ep 2 is, at least in theory, semi-viable for a mono run, and types with 5 or more are definitely viable.

Ground: 7 (although most of them are concentrated in a single area)

Normal: 6

Bug: 6

Fairy: 5+1

Grass: 5

Dragon: 2+3

Fire: 4

Dark: 4

Fighting: 4

Water: 3+1

Steel: 3

Poison: 3

Electric: 2+1

Types not in the list have 2 or less representatives, making them unviable for mono runs (at least for now). Types listed as having "3+1" or "2+1" (or "2+3" in Dragon's case) members are types that will be completed later. Basically this means that, as of Ep 2, you can catch a Pokemon that is NOT of that type, but is destined to evolve into that type... But evolving it is impossible as of Ep 2, although it will become possible in Ep 3.

In terms of distribution Ground isn't very viable, because almost all of its members are concentrated in a single area (meaning, your mono team would be virtually empty until you get to said area), while Normal has the reverse issue (a lot of its members are concentrated at the very beginning of the game, then you find less and less going forward). With this in mind Bug, Grass, Fairy and maybe Dragon are the best choices for a mono, with Bug and Grass being the easy ones, and Fairy and Dragon being the difficult ones (VERY difficult in Dragon's case). I hope you people find this to be useful!

I find it incredible that dragons even are available that early in the game... Nova mentioned that Bloanna will be available ("a dragon that we announced very early on, will be available in EP2") - if I recall correctly.

and the only dragon that ever was available relativeley early was Goomy or Dratini if you had the Fishing Rod (which wasn't available at that point you got into the Safari Zone) - but even these were way after the 4th or 5th gym.

ok Reborn gave us the worst dragon ever REALLY early...

and now we straight up get 2 (I guess Bloanna and Lifoam) ... + 3 others in Ep1/2 that can be evolved in Ep3!

so now we can specualte which Pokemon will get the dragon type in Ep.3 from all the pokemon we know thaat are in Ep.2... hmmmm... maybe Ceramor will become Ground/Dragon and look like a traditional chinese "Serpent-Dragon"?

hmmmmmm... so many possibilities...

Hey glad to know I can complete normal monotype for upcoming episode. Still no ice though..when will someone make ice type early game... Anyway thanks for sharing this info~

I find it incredible that dragons even are available that early in the game... Nova mentioned that Bloanna will be available ("a dragon that we announced very early on, will be available in EP2") - if I recall correctly.

and the only dragon that ever was available relativeley early was Goomy or Dratini if you had the Fishing Rod (which wasn't available at that point you got into the Safari Zone) - but even these were way after the 4th or 5th gym.

ok Reborn gave us the worst dragon ever REALLY early...

and now we straight up get 2 (I guess Bloanna and Lifoam) ... + 3 others in Ep1/2 that can be evolved in Ep3!

so now we can specualte which Pokemon will get the dragon type in Ep.3 from all the pokemon we know thaat are in Ep.2... hmmmm... maybe Ceramor will become Ground/Dragon and look like a traditional chinese "Serpent-Dragon"?

hmmmmmm... so many possibilities...

Well yes, we wanted out game to be memorable for having a respectable amount of dragons. Who doesn't love dragons? As mentioned multiple times, we managed to achieve a pretty good balance between our mons (there are somethings which would be horridly broken out of context, by Graterras offers specific hard counters to them), meaning no type has a distinct advantage over any other... And that being the case, we figured it would be interesting for people to have access to options for monos that usually aren't viable in other games. And from an in-universe point of view, Fairy is the type so rare it is considered almost mythological (yes, there are many representatives available for that one too, but the fact is, there's only one per area, and they are all Elftik-rare, so good luck with that :P), so yeah, Dragon, while still a rare type, is not as strictly late game as it used to be. As for the 3 non-dragons that evolve into dragons, all I can say is that only one of them has been announced so far.

To expand more on what I said earlier:

- Ground, as mentioned, has the problem of offering virtually no options until you get to a specific area.

- Normal offers lots of variety early on and can get you past the first two gyms, but loses steam afterwards.

- Bug offers enough variety to deal with Mary (Sinisect and Chromalyd are popular choices to deal with her, after all), and has some interesting new members in Ep 2 areas, making it an overall solid choice.

- Fairy forces you to face Mary with only 2 mons, and between her and the second gyms, you can only find two more mons... Both of which are weak to the second gym's STAB. It becomes a very solid mono afterwards, but the early gyms can prove to be a nightmare...

- Grass is probably the best choice, on the account of including a solid starter (whose offensive options have been patched up in Ep 2), a hard hitter in Pikrieg, and resident crutch character Mouroot. You get another solid member before the second gym and yet another one immediately afterwards, and while Mouroot looses steam at the beginning of Ep 3, that's when one or two more good mons become available. Grass is indeed a solid, well balanced choice for a mono.

- Dragon forces you to solo Mary with Lifoam, and it also has the issue that, of the Pokemon available before the second gym, two are destined to evolve into dragons, but as of Ep 2 you have no way of knowing which ones. Once you unlock the final areas of Ep 2, and get your hands on Bloanna and on the secret soon-to-be dragon, your team suddenly goes from mediocre to stellar, but the problem is getting there. Really difficult choice early on.

- Fire forces you to solo BOTH Mary AND the second gym with Roobber, which... Isn't really doable. Afterwards, you get some VERY strong guys, and even more in Ep 3, but still, the issue here is getting past the first two gyms.

- Dark has you fight Mary with only two Pokemon (Ebounny and Sinisect, which admittedly isn't that bad), and while you can catch a third one before the second gym, it is weak to the gym's STAB. The fourth Dark-type is caught at the end of the episode and is a VERY unique one (come to think of it, we announced it a long time ago...), and Ep 3 offers a couple more options to round out your team, making it a very well balanced choice... But once again, the problem is getting past the first two gyms.

- Fighting gives you two mons to fight Mary with, a third one immediately after her (which is actually pretty good against the second gym), and a fourth one at the end of the episode. With more options coming your way in Ep 3, this isn't a bad choice overall... But good luck beating Mary lol

- Water forces you to solo Mary with Lifoam. Which is a pity, because immediately after her you start getting some great diversity, making it one of the best monos in the game. If only you could obtain a fishing rod in Ep 1 areas :P

- Steel has no representatives before Mary, and only one between her and the second gym, so yeah, it isn't really viable. It only gets a mention because its 3 representatives (Kutlass, Bloanna, and a third one you still haven't seen) are all pretty strong.

- Poison has a very strong representative in Oppossite, and two more become available when you get to Eskatia. As things stand it is not a very balanced mono, specially considering that your main STAB would be scarcely effective against the first FOUR gyms, but you do get some long-term potential.

- Electric gives you Pikrieg, which is actually pretty strong against more or less every enemy in Ep 2. Problem is, your second representative is rare and kinda weak early on, and as of Ep 2 you don't even know who your third representative is...

- Dragon forces you to solo Mary with Lifoam, and it also has the issue that, of the Pokemon available before the second gym, two are destined to evolve into dragons, but as of Ep 2 you have no way of knowing which ones. Once you unlock the final areas of Ep 2, and get your hands on Bloanna and on the secret soon-to-be dragon, your team suddenly goes from mediocre to stellar, but the problem is getting there. Really difficult choice early on.

- Fire forces you to solo BOTH Mary AND the second gym with Roobber, which... Isn't really doable. Afterwards, you get some VERY strong guys, and even more in Ep 3, but still, the issue here is getting past the first two gyms.

- Dark has you fight Mary with only two Pokemon (Ebounny and Sinisect, which admittedly isn't that bad), and while you can catch a third one before the second gym, it is weak to the gym's STAB. The fourth Dark-type is caught at the end of the episode and is a VERY unique one (come to think of it, we announced it a long time ago...), and Ep 3 offers a couple more options to round out your team, making it a very well balanced choice... But once again, the problem is getting past the first two gyms.

- Fighting gives you two mons to fight Mary with, a third one immediately after her (which is actually pretty good against the second gym), and a fourth one at the end of the episode. With more options coming your way in Ep 3, this isn't a bad choice overall... But good luck beating Mary lol

- Water forces you to solo Mary with Lifoam. Which is a pity, because immediately after her you start getting some great diversity, making it one of the best monos in the game. If only you could obtain a fishing rod in Ep 1 areas :P

Can confirm, Roobber and Lifoam are not meant to solo Mary. (especially since perfectly obedient lv19 high-IV Rooder got stomped almost immediately).

Dark doesn't need luck on Mary, though, since Sinisect kinda beats her without issues, especially if you manage to get a Fell Stinger boost. Except HP Fire Haunteon. That can just... go.

Makes me sad that Fire's going to be a beast to mono :(

EDIT:

Mouroot looses steam at the beginning of Ep 3

Typo, or confirmed Steam Eruption tutor for Mouroot. I advocate for the latter.

Edited by Cobalt996

Can confirm, Roobber and Lifoam are not meant to solo Mary. (especially since perfectly obedient lv19 high-IV Rooder got stomped almost immediately).

Well in fairness, no Pokemon is. SHe has a full team with good coverage, AND you need to account for the level cap, so yeah...

Ground Gym confirmed for episode #2

and im so salty right now its not even funny TOMAS

Ground Gym confirmed for episode #2

and im so salty right now its not even funny TOMAS

And funny you should say that given you were talking about the Salt Badge...

I think I'm going to turn my Eufur run into Mono Fairy over time and maybe try Mono Fire on Roober just for a challenge after I work through the Episode twice with the other starters. Luckily, he does get Wil-O-Wisp via TM and if his Hidden Power wasn't Fire it would have been useful. Lifoam will remain my fun and varried run.

And funny you should say that given you were talking about the Salt Badge...

I think I'm going to turn my Eufur run into Mono Fairy over time and maybe try Mono Fire on Roober just for a challenge after I work through the Episode twice with the other starters. Luckily, he does get Wil-O-Wisp via TM and if his Hidden Power wasn't Fire it would have been useful. Lifoam will remain my fun and varried run.

I think you are better off using Roobber for a "fun and varied run", and Lifoam for a Dragon or Water mono. Simply because most of our Fire-type creations are very very very VERY powerful... So of course we will make them available very sparingly. As for Eufur, both mono-Fary and mono-Grass are good and very doable ideas, although the former can be harder in terms of overcoming some specific foes, AND in terms of finding the damn critters (again, they are all Elftik-rare, so I hope you have plenty of time to spare :P).

I think you are better off using Roobber for a "fun and varied run", and Lifoam for a Dragon or Water mono. Simply because most of our Fire-type creations are very very very VERY powerful... So of course we will make them available very sparingly. As for Eufur, both mono-Fary and mono-Grass are good and very doable ideas, although the former can be harder in terms of overcoming some specific foes, AND in terms of finding the damn critters (again, they are all Elftik-rare, so I hope you have plenty of time to spare :P).

I tend to use Cheat Engine to speed things up after the first time through the episode, so it shouldn't be too too hard to find them fairly quickly. And that sounds like a solid idea. I totally want to muscle my way through the game on a Fire mono once it's done, though.

This is THE HYPE. The one thing that Se7en is all about, in the end of the day, are the fakemon. E1 had an understandably small variety of catchable species, and seeing that E2 brings all of this quality is HUGE NEWS for me at least. Can't wait. It will also motivate me to start a new run, since I'll know that my array of options will be far more wide than the current one.

And this brings me to a question that I've been postponing for when E2 would be itching closer: Will we get some kind of team showcase thread? That's a two-sided question. Is, as per Cook Corp. development team policy, such a thread desirable and allowed, considering that you've been adamant about the whole "discover it all yourselves"? And have you already planned something to help with the visual part of it, like having an imgur folder with the frontsprites of E2-legal pokemon so we can showcase our team/collection more easily?

This is THE HYPE. The one thing that Se7en is all about, in the end of the day, are the fakemon. E1 had an understandably small variety of catchable species, and seeing that E2 brings all of this quality is HUGE NEWS for me at least. Can't wait. It will also motivate me to start a new run, since I'll know that my array of options will be far more wide than the current one.

And this brings me to a question that I've been postponing for when E2 would be itching closer: Will we get some kind of team showcase thread? That's a two-sided question. Is, as per Cook Corp. development team policy, such a thread desirable and allowed, considering that you've been adamant about the whole "discover it all yourselves"? And have you already planned something to help with the visual part of it, like having an imgur folder with the frontsprites of E2-legal pokemon so we can showcase our team/collection more easily?

As far as we have discussed it within our team, our "discover it all yourselves" policy simply means we divulge as little gameplay information as possible, except for the bare basics needed to generate keep up hype, like the mon artworks with their types and abilities. This policy is the main reason we aren't going to make a Bulbapedia-like wiki for each of our species and major characters anytime soon.

I personally don't see any problem with such a "team showcase" thread, however, since it doesn't really go too deep in any special "I discovered this" things. If such a thread were there, I would urge people, however, to not publicly disclose any of the more "hidden" information such as the ways they got their fancy Egg Moves by breeding our species, or where they found cool hidden items, and the like.

• Veterans

As far as we have discussed it within our team, our "discover it all yourselves" policy simply means we divulge as little gameplay information as possible, except for the bare basics needed to generate keep up hype, like the mon artworks with their types and abilities. This policy is the main reason we aren't going to make a Bulbapedia-like wiki for each of our species and major characters anytime soon.

I personally don't see any problem with such a "team showcase" thread, however, since it doesn't really go too deep in any special "I discovered this" things. If such a thread were there, I would urge people, however, to not publicly disclose any of the more "hidden" information such as the ways they got their fancy Egg Moves by breeding our species, or where they found cool hidden items, and the like.

Let them do so, however we will regulate a strict spoiler lock for the first month of the episode's release to keep the new content unspoiled for newer players.

Yeah, pretty much what Nova said. As for the sprites well, you can take them from the "Battlers" folder in your game's directory :P

Something I should clarify tho: WE ARE NOT ALTERING THE POKEMON AVAILABILITY PER AREA. What this means is that, if in a certain area there were some Pokemon to be caught in Ep 1, YOU WILL FIND THERE THE EXACT SAME POKEMON IN EP 2. No new stuff, so as long as you stay in Ep 1 areas, you are still limited to the 11 species from Ep 1. New Pokemon are in new areas, so yeah, unless you want to retune your team choices in light of the new info, there is little point in starting a new playthrough... Well, unless you started with Eufur. Then there is point, because Eufur's movepool was reworked.

EDIT: as for the "spoiler lock" Az mentioned well, the solution is simple: I will be the one to start the thread people will use for team showcase. Since I am an Ace Member, if someone makes a post that goes against our policies I will just lock the thread, and ask a mod to delete the offending post.

When I run out of canon Pokemon to make pun statuses for, can I do them for Se7en mons?

If I have to be perfectly frank, your puns make me question my life choices and contemplate gouging my eyes out. This being said, some extra advertisement cannot hurt, so sure, go right ahead. Check out the "List of announced things" to see all of our (currently revealed) mons...

EDIT: as for the "spoiler lock" Az mentioned well, the solution is simple: I will be the one to start the thread people will use for team showcase. Since I am an Ace Member, if someone makes a post that goes against our policies I will just lock the thread, and ask a mod to delete the offending post.

Yes you are. As is Zim. And Huk. Aaaaand Azery. And Nova. Whoa there's a lot of you! Although Miss Cook is true Graterras royalty of the high Graterran society and such a priviledge is her right.

Other than that, the "sprites online in an imgur folder thing" was to be able to showcase our teams with images of the members. Makes it much more vivid and flashy I guess :P For example, my Reju team is...

empoleon.pngelectrode.pnggolem.pngarcanine.pngvileplume-female.pngxatu.png

Imagine this with your own creations and tell me, wouldn't it look cool? :P

• Global Mods

If I have to be perfectly frank, your puns make me question my life choices and contemplate gouging my eyes out. This being said, some extra advertisement cannot hurt, so sure, go right ahead. Check out the "List of announced things" to see all of our (currently revealed) mons...

Yay :D Well, I won't run out of puns for a while (right now I've got puns up to September 19), but it'd be an honor to do them with Se7en's mons too!

EDIT: Decided to make one right now.

Yes you are. As is Zim. And Huk. Aaaaand Azery. And Nova. Whoa there's a lot of you! Although Miss Cook is true Graterras royalty of the high Graterran society and such a priviledge is her right.

Other than that, the "sprites online in an imgur folder thing" was to be able to showcase our teams with images of the members. Makes it much more vivid and flashy I guess :P For example, my Reju team is...

empoleon.pngelectrode.pnggolem.pngarcanine.pngvileplume-female.pngxatu.png

Imagine this with your own creations and tell me, wouldn't it look cool? :P

Again, you can find the sprites in the "Battlers" folder of your game directory, then upload them to Imgur. While having a staff-sponsored folder would certainly be a cool idea, I doubt we'll have the time to set it up in the upcoming days. We'll see what we can do.

Also the only reason tomas even wants to start all the threads is because he wants all the rep.

Of course :Kappa:

TOmas is not a big fan of puns. I love puns though so... DO it if you so choose ICSW~

Also... I created Graterras... I'm its Creator, Its god if you will. Heheheheh... HEHEHEHEH. ((while maybe not this version of it in it's entirety but... eh... Details.)) *cackles madly.*