Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance, & Discussion

Arkhi

Is it possible to make it so that you can remove/change your vote like you could before? Just for convenience, since that way, people could update polls to add new questions / options, rather than having to make a new topic with a new poll if they wanted to add something and still let everyone vote.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd like it if the site actually kept me logged it when I click "Remember Me", instead of just remembering my username and password.
Of course, if this isn't possible, then nevermind.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:37 PM, Chubb said:

Is it possible to make it so that you can remove/change your vote like you could before? Just for convenience, since that way, people could update polls to add new questions / options, rather than having to make a new topic with a new poll if they wanted to add something and still let everyone vote.

I'll look into this and get back to you. Ideally, we can return to that system for the reasons you mentioned.

23 hours ago, Strider said:

If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd like it if the site actually kept me logged it when I click "Remember Me", instead of just remembering my username and password.

This may be some sort of issue with cookies and browser memory. If you are sure it isn't, then I'll have an admin poke around and let you know what they find.

On 12/4/2016 at 6:53 PM, Strider said:

Post all the details you can in my bug thread: 

I'm seeing a similar issue, but I haven't been able to crack it. If you see any rhyme or reason to it, please let me know.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:37 PM, Chubb said:

That is a no, captain, votes are unable to be deleted on the new forums. The original poster or appropriate Staff may change the number of votes per question, but that is rather useless without knowing users' contributions or wishes to delete a vote.

The big number of pinned threads is pushing all the others way down, so people don't actually see them. That is quite obvious in Victory Road, where the Redemption League threads are still pinned even though the competition has ended long ago. So we could either copy the previous forum and have them separated, or remove the pins after a while because they add up.

Similarly there should be a "Read More / Read Less" option to click on when presented with the first post, since it now appears on every page. The alternative is to remove it from view. 

It is also a bit harder to check which threads are updated or read, with the removal of the pokeball icons in front of them. A bolded title may go unnoticed. 

I'm hoping new themes are in the works, as well as default font sizes.

The current black, white, and gray everything is rather stark, and the text is actually pretty small- and I know that I'm not so old that my eyes are bad and need glasses.

Also, image links and tags don't seem to work the same and/or only work every other time. It seems like the old opening tags work, but the closing ones don't?

How does the new experience system work? I've been looking around at other people and very few have gotten any at all and your little blurb about it in the FAQ section makes me believe that what little has been given has been through reputation gains. It sounds like a moderation has to constantly sweep around for posts to reward while normal members are doing what they do and hoping that senpai notices them. And they're supposed to accumulate 1000 over the course of a year? At this rate though? This seems like a critical flaw in the system to me.

15 hours ago, NickCrash said:

The big number of pinned threads is pushing all the others way down, so people don't actually see them. That is quite obvious in Victory Road, where the Redemption League threads are still pinned even though the competition has ended long ago. So we could either copy the previous forum and have them separated, or remove the pins after a while because they add up.

Yes, and similarly in the Site Inquiries forum, questions (the thread type in Site Inquiries) listed above all others seem to cause significant pushing against the other threads lower down. I hope to find some way to get a revamp of the Site Inquiries subforum specifically.

The number of pinned threads in Victory Road definitely is too high, and a quick and effective bandage fix would probably be to huddle as many threads into a thread directory as possible. As to whether or not that will be the final solution remains left to the capabilities of the site.

Similarly there should be a "Read More / Read Less" option to click on when presented with the first post, since it now appears on every page. The alternative is to remove it from view.

I only seem to notice this in forums/subforums with threads of type "question". For example, in this thread, the OP takes up a large chunk of the page due to it being so lengthy. Is that to what you refer?

It is also a bit harder to check which threads are updated or read, with the removal of the pokeball icons in front of them. A bolded title may go unnoticed. 

5 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I'm hoping new themes are in the works, as well as default font sizes.

The current black, white, and gray everything is rather stark, and the text is actually pretty small- and I know that I'm not so old that my eyes are bad and need glasses.

Putting these together because font size and readability seems to be a pressing issue mentioned by others outside of just this thread. I will speak with Ame about what changes may be made to improve readability; for as traditional as the black/gray/white theme is to Reborn, it seems to be a hindrance now.

14 hours ago, Night Fighter said:

Site Convenience Suggestion: Change the "default" settings regarding notifications for -new- members. Specifically, setting disable for all "Email" notifications by default as it may seem more optional if people want their emails flooded.

I just talked with Amethyst and this setting has been defaulted so that users do not receive emails upon receiving notifications. Thank you for pointing this out!

Also, image links and tags don't seem to work the same and/or only work every other time. It seems like the old opening tags work, but the closing ones don't?

Yes, using BBCode to add spoilers has seemed to cause problems to lots of users. Instead of using [ spoiler], I think we're better off just using the spoiler button in the text editor. I haven't yet used image tags (or ever, really), so the best I can suggest now is copying the image itself and pasting it into the text editor. On desktop, that's an effective way to bypass issues. As for mobile, I'm unsure, I haven't yet poked around on the forums while using mobile.

How does the new experience system work? I've been looking around at other people and very few have gotten any at all and your little blurb about it in the FAQ section makes me believe that what little has been given has been through reputation gains. It sounds like a moderation has to constantly sweep around for posts to reward while normal members are doing what they do and hoping that senpai notices them.

I can only speak with my personal experiences in giving EXP so far until I get a steady sense of how the other auth have been distributing EXP. Typically, I look for threads in which users are asking questions, contributing to group efforts to find x item/Pokemon, making other QoL threads (like the Hattening, Site Changes threads), being helpful to other users on the server, or helping squash site bugs and troubleshooting. I believe I have distributed about 250EXP so far.

And they're supposed to accumulate 1000 over the course of a year? At this rate though? This seems like a critical flaw in the system to me.

The rate at which users accumulate EXP compared against the "end goal" of 1000XP required for Ace is the discussion on the floor. Personally, I believe that I have been distributing a sufficient amount, though I will be speaking with the other auth this Sunday so that we can all get a collective sense of where we stand. According to the trajectory you have mentioned, we will need to tweak EXP given for the above mentioned EXP-deserving actions OR reduce the EXP threshold required for Ace Membership. This depends upon how much or little EXP we have been distributing however, so I can't guarantee that the way we presently assign EXP will change.

Sometimes the subforums appear with bold, even though I have already read them. This must not be limited to specific ones, but I notice it more on "Grand Hall" , "Victory Road" , "Onyx Arcade" , "Reborn City". Surprizingly the Nightclub never did this so far. 

With the exception of the Onyx Arcade, all those forums you mentioned have subforums, which may be what is causing them to show as bold. If the issue is still occurring, leave another post and I'll add it to the OP. And on that note, once exam season passes, I will clear the vast majority of the OP, remove old forum suggestions/bugs, and update with suggestions and bugs mentioned by the time I update it.

• Global Mods

I recommend making it to where non-staff and non-development members can't post threads in the "Public Development" subforum. I believe that's the way it was with the old site's Development Blog, but I've seen ordinary members make threads for E16 questions in Public Development.

On 12/8/2016 at 10:47 AM, NickCrash said:

No, I don't mean that posts from their subforums make the whole forum seem 'unread'. I mean that after I've read everything there is in it (and its subforums) it still appears bold.

Sounds like a bug. Added to the OP.

21 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I recommend making it to where non-staff and non-development members can't post threads in the "Public Development" subforum. I believe that's the way it was with the old site's Development Blog, but I've seen ordinary members make threads for E16 questions in Public Development.

I spoke with Ame and she fixed this up. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I propose that AMA's get a subforum in the General Discussion board rather than let them smother out topics about other things directly in GD.

It's very niche to fit only AMAs into their own category. I will bring this up with the other Staff soon and get back to you with our decision. That said, I anticipate that we will not create a subforum specifically for AMAs, since that could easily bar discussion and, when AMAs are not roaming about like migratory birds, the subforum would see little use.

EDIT: Several months ago, Dobby suggested a "Celebrations" sort of subforum for user birthdays, Reborn user events (3 years here, etc.), and AMAs. That may be a solution.

OP has been updated- the Basic and Advanced tabs have been updated, and the Bugs tab has been updated. When the semester ends, I will overhaul the OP to make it more readable and update the axed suggestions tab to remove previous-site specific suggestions.

Edited by Arkhi

Can we get a raise from this miserable 4-points-per-day rep limit? Why do we even need a cap tbh now that we can upvote statuses? Just free this. EXP exists for the more meaningful quantifications, if rep ever was a meaningful quantification measure.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:12 PM, TheBiggerFish said:

...Or a button to view the raw BBCode, for that matter...

Further on this, I thought there used to be a view-as-code option in the forums before. Was this removed?

Currently, if I edit a post, highlight sections of it and press the Code button, the popup only shows raw text instead of that plus any existing formatting and/or hyperlinks. Just pressing the code button gives an empty box that asks for input to insert. If I highlight a section of text and click the Link button, I am given a popup showing any existing hyperlink on the text and can edit a that link if I wish, but going to each individual section of linked text, highlighting, opening the popup, updating that single link, closing the popup, then doing the same for every other link seems...ugh.  

Its also possible I'm just blind and missing the option or its equivalent though.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:48 PM, Arkhi said:
On 12/9/2016 at 0:04 PM, Maelstrom said:

I propose that AMA's get a subforum in the General Discussion board rather than let them smother out topics about other things directly in GD.

It's very niche to fit only AMAs into their own category. I will bring this up with the other Staff soon and get back to you with our decision. That said, I anticipate that we will not create a subforum specifically for AMAs, since that could easily bar discussion and, when AMAs are not roaming about like migratory birds, the subforum would see little use.

EDIT: Several months ago, Dobby suggested a "Celebrations" sort of subforum for user birthdays, Reborn user events (3 years here, etc.), and AMAs. That may be a solution.

It's looking like we will not be creating a subforum for AMAs for the above mentioned reason. If there is a very compelling argument in favor of its creation, I'm interested to hear, though the high influx of AMAs alone is not reason enough for its creation.

On 12/9/2016 at 2:43 PM, Odybld said:

Can we get a raise from this miserable 4-points-per-day rep limit? Why do we even need a cap tbh now that we can upvote statuses? Just free this. EXP exists for the more meaningful quantifications, if rep ever was a meaningful quantification measure.

Reputation is being tied in with EXP currently. Details are in the works, but we're looking at a conversion rate of 2 Rep = 1 EXP, up to a cap of 250 EXP. For that reason, we want reputation caps on users so that no one is boosted towards 1000+ EXP.

22 hours ago, Quickslip said:

Further on this, I thought there used to be a view-as-code option in the forums before. Was this removed?

Currently, if I edit a post, highlight sections of it and press the Code button, the popup only shows raw text instead of that plus any existing formatting and/or hyperlinks. Just pressing the code button gives an empty box that asks for input to insert. If I highlight a section of text and click the Link button, I am given a popup showing any existing hyperlink on the text and can edit a that link if I wish, but going to each individual section of linked text, highlighting, opening the popup, updating that single link, closing the popup, then doing the same for every other link seems...ugh.  

Its also possible I'm just blind and missing the option or its equivalent though.

The text editor seems very beginner-friendly, so I think there is an intentional lack of view-as-code options. The closest we have is the Code button you mentioned, and from there, using HTML for linking is probably your best bet.

12 minutes ago, Arkhi said:

Reputation is being tied in with EXP currently. Details are in the works, but we're looking at a conversion rate of 2 Rep = 1 EXP, up to a cap of 250 EXP. For that reason, we want reputation caps on users so that no one is boosted towards 1000+ EXP.

I am propably getting this wrong. What I understand from this is that we get X EXP points for 2X rep points, but that goes up to 250 EXP, so any rep points over 500 don't matter on EXP anymore... in which case you don't need a daily rep cap, because the rep-related EXP is hard-capped at 250 and can't spiral out of control no matter what.

What am I getting wrong? :P

Seriously though, why be stringy with things that show appreciation to the work of other community members? The forum reset pulled the carpet under all non-aces anyway, losing their work toward the previous reqs. Let us be more appreciative and less bean-counting. Even if the rep-related 250 EXP is easier to farm, there are still 750 very hard to earn EXP points on the way to ace. Just free the rep points and let let people upvote the statuses they like and the replies on their birthday thread and whatever without being capped at that action. 

#freeVinny

Also tagging @Vinny for justice

Edited by Odybld

18 minutes ago, Odybld said:

#freeVinny

Also tagging @Vinny for justice

sE0PNKr.gif

Nice argument, though I can still see why the current limit should stand.

Also, I had no clue that rep is tied to Execution Points right now. @Arkhi do we have a topic that describes how to get EXP and what actions = how many points? And if not, can we have one?

1 hour ago, Odybld said:

I am propably getting this wrong. What I understand from this is that we get X EXP points for 2X rep points, but that goes up to 250 EXP, so any rep points over 500 don't matter on EXP anymore... in which case you don't need a daily rep cap, because the rep-related EXP is hard-capped at 250 and can't spiral out of control no matter what.

This is a step-up from the previous site, in which reputation meant nothing. And to ace, auth, or members who don't care about XP, the system remains the same, with a new daily limit. The issue is that, unlike before, upvoting content now translates linearly into EXP (once auth get around to it, the system is not automatic). To prevent advantageous upvoting, the daily cap prevents that.

1 hour ago, Odybld said:

Seriously though, why be stringy with things that show appreciation to the work of other community members? The forum reset pulled the carpet under all non-aces anyway, losing their work toward the previous reqs. Let us be more appreciative and less bean-counting. Even if the rep-related 250 EXP is easier to farm, there are still 750 very hard to earn EXP points on the way to ace. Just free the rep points and let let people upvote the statuses they like and the replies on their birthday thread and whatever without being capped at that action.

I agree with the displays of appreciation, and use of the Samaritan's Speakeasy has already yielded much EXP gain for users. However, I cannot just look past the argument that an entire quarter of the requirements for 1000 EXP is sedated by reaching a high rep count. Granted that at least a year is required for Ace Membership, and the rate at which EXP is being given has been steady, the trajectory we are on does not greatly deviate from what we had planned. I hope that, if we are morbidly wrong in our planning, users will make it clear that the requirements need change.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

Also, I had no clue that rep is tied to Execution Points right now. @Arkhi do we have a topic that describes how to get EXP and what actions = how many points? And if not, can we have one?

Yes, this was most definitely not decided less than 24 hours ago hahAha

An EXP guidelines thread is currently in the works. I'm hopeful it will be refined and publicized in the next few days. I can't say my own contributions are frequent thanks college, though I am addressing points brought up by users in the process.