Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance, & Discussion

Arkhi

I've tried to edit the adoption center twice now to add in reviews (which involves anonymous quotes).  When I go to preview it isn't loading, and when I go to post the edit it is canceling instead.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  I've done about 20 successful edits of the post before, although this is my first time using quotes.

Edit:
Third time was a charm.  I'm pretty sure I did exactly the same steps the third time and everything worked.  Still no idea why it happened though.

Edited by Fyermind

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thingies:

80f63a4209484dac84ce39d9243410ae.png

Is hardly miscellaneous. Could that button get literally any better name? "Online Servers" or something?

Also, can we get a "Followings" list in our profiles?

Edit: ding dong @Arkhi dong, look at this too

Spoiler

J7ekuyC.png

Edited by Odybld

On 12/19/2016 at 10:35 AM, Odybld said:

Two thingies:

80f63a4209484dac84ce39d9243410ae.png

Is hardly miscellaneous. Could that button get literally any better name? "Online Servers" or something?

Changed to "Social".

Also, can we get a "Followings" list in our profiles?

I'll ask Ame to look into this. I'm not sure it can be done.

Edit: ding dong @Arkhi dong, look at this too

Reveal hidden contents

J7ekuyC.png

That is weird and silly and untrue, though a quick refresh ought to do the trick. Without changing the low-level workings of the site and compromising breaking everything, I'm gonna say this is enough of a non-issue that it isn't noteworthy. If there's a lot of hatred for it, then we can look into it.

9 hours ago, Captain Breakfast said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but there seems to be no option to ignore status updates from specific users at all.

Would it be at all possible to implement this?

Well that would be frustrating. As a moderator, ignoring users does not remove their statuses, so I'll poke around on another account and get the radmins to check this out.

EDIT: I have referred Ame to this problem. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by Arkhi

I got a warning for doubleposting from @Simon. It lasts until the first of August. Can I make it last until the eighth of January? That'd make much more sense to me. 

:]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Still, my actual point stands

The warning is set to expire 01/08/2017. The site uses MM/DD/YYYY format, so the warning will expire appropriately in January. If the warning has not yet expired by then, please reach out to a member of the Staff.

5 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

It seems like this bug is back. I just saw another thread in Public Development.

I checked this out and the bug isn't back. That was caused by a mod moving a thread there accidentally while trying to put it in Reborn City rather than them creating the thread there in the first place. 

On 12/31/2016 at 8:46 PM, ~ Guiller ~ said:

If this has already been brought up sorry, but i really want the pokemon type quiz back, that thing was hilarious!

@~ Guiller ~ Sorry about the late reply; unfortunately, the Pokemon Type Quiz was removed during the site update. I believe measures were taken to preserve the quiz, though as to whether or not those were successful remains unknown to me. At this time, there are no plans to replace the type quiz.

On 10/01/2017 at 2:21 AM, Arkhi said:

@~ Guiller ~ Sorry about the late reply; unfortunately, the Pokemon Type Quiz was removed during the site update. I believe measures were taken to preserve the quiz, though as to whether or not those were successful remains unknown to me. At this time, there are no plans to replace the type quiz.

Oh..
I see...
That's really sad for me, I found pokemon reborn and rejuvenation through this quiz and hurt see it go, but i understand that manage a site is hard work and sometimes some things have to be left behind. Thank you guys for your work, I really apreciate what you guys have give us

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I believe you said that SotD suggestions and Showdown sprites will be locked to Ace members with 1000 EXP. I personally feel like, since those didn't require it before the update, they should be unlockable for people as they earn EXP. 

I'm just throwing out numbers here for an example, 250 EXP lets you suggest SotD, 500 lets you get a sprite on Showdown, 750 lets you ask for a room, and 1000 just gets you Ace in general. 

Thank you for your time, and apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

• 3 weeks later...

A menu option to make battle messages not show up in main chat would be nice (except for tournaments if you have those turned on still.) It would certainly help keep chat much cleaner for people when others decide to spam battles.

Also, making Breloombot able to battle more than one person at a time would be nice.

And here's some very minor errors with that I've noticed involving the server...

• Numbers in /away are considered normal characters and will effectively change your User ID, meaning you lose your authority level.
    • Additionally, using /back does not re-check for authority level, so if you type "/away 2" and "/back" you will temporarily lose any authority level. Currently the only way to fix this is to log out and log back in, or using /nick to change your name to something else and back again.
  • If a user says one of their own pings in any chatroom and refreshes the page, when they log back in it will show up as the user pinging themselves, highlighted and everything. Not sure how to fix this one.
  • SUGGESTED CHANGES:
    • Create unique characters for numbers, like the bubble characters we have for letters. This way, they would not affect User ID.
    • Make /away check for authority level.

There might be some stuff I'm forgetting... I'll post them if I find any.

Hope this helps

ok can someone please unpin all the redemption league threads from victory road now that I've compiled (probably) all of them here? tyvm

also they all should be in the redemption league subforum >:C although that's kinda tedious and unnecessary so w/e

3 hours ago, Fumble said:

ok can someone please unpin all the redemption league threads from victory road now that I've compiled (probably) all of them here? tyvm

also they all should be in the redemption league subforum >:C although that's kinda tedious and unnecessary so w/e

done

• Global Mods

I was just wondering, is there any possibility of giving aces the ability to lock their own threads back at any point? I just realized with having two hurt and heals running (and more I've considered for the future), I'd have to report each one when they're finished, and I imagine it'd be way more convenient both ways for me to lock them myself than having to bother a mod to do it every time one ends. 

Or is "Hide" already similar to that? I haven't used the hide button before since I've had no reason to hide a thread and also don't know what exactly it does or if it's permanent. 

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I was just wondering, is there any possibility of giving aces the ability to lock their own threads back at any point? I just realized with having two hurt and heals running (and more I've considered for the future), I'd have to report each one when they're finished, and I imagine it'd be way more convenient both ways for me to lock them myself than having to bother a mod to do it every time one ends. 

Or is "Hide" already similar to that? I haven't used the hide button before since I've had no reason to hide a thread and also don't know what exactly it does or if it's permanent. 

Hide is similar in that you'll be able to prevent others from posting in the thread. I'm also unsure if the ace who hides their own thread will be able to view it and edit it again. If you'd like, please create a thread, hide it, and determine if you may again locate it. I will speak with Ame about returning the ace member privilege of locking threads.

On 1/29/2017 at 8:24 AM, Bazaro said:

A menu option to make battle messages not show up in main chat would be nice (except for tournaments if you have those turned on still.) It would certainly help keep chat much cleaner for people when others decide to spam battles.

This is something that I have brought up to Dan and Swimming before. However, there is no in-between for showing or not showing battle messages. As I recall, we may show all battle messages or show none. I will check again to determine if circumstances have changed.

Also, making Breloombot able to battle more than one person at a time would be nice.

I'll reach out to Tempest and determine if this is possible.

And here's some very minor errors with that I've noticed involving the server...

• Numbers in /away are considered normal characters and will effectively change your User ID, meaning you lose your authority level.
    • Additionally, using /back does not re-check for authority level, so if you type "/away 2" and "/back" you will temporarily lose any authority level. Currently the only way to fix this is to log out and log back in, or using /nick to change your name to something else and back again.
  • If a user says one of their own pings in any chatroom and refreshes the page, when they log back in it will show up as the user pinging themselves, highlighted and everything. Not sure how to fix this one.
  • SUGGESTED CHANGES:
    • Create unique characters for numbers, like the bubble characters we have for letters. This way, they would not affect User ID.
    • Make /away check for authority level.

1) Swimming has checked into the the numbers in /away issue and at this time, there's little we can do- that's on the Showdown devs to fix.

2) Page refreshes are buglords. I'll ask Swimming if he can do anything about this, but if it is a source of trouble, then it likely won't be fixed, being such a minor issue.

I've added your suggested changes to the OP under Server Suggestions. Thank you for the great detail and explanation!

• Global Mods
4 minutes ago, Arkhi said:

Hide is similar in that you'll be able to prevent others from posting in the thread. I'm also unsure if the ace who hides their own thread will be able to view it and edit it again. If you'd like, please create a thread, hide it, and determine if you may again locate it. I will speak with Ame about returning the ace member privilege of locking threads.

I tested just now. After hiding, I'm unable to see the thread. 

162d4cd983d74a9d91abecfbad9287a4.png

44 minutes ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I tested just now. After hiding, I'm unable to see the thread. 

162d4cd983d74a9d91abecfbad9287a4.png

That is unfortunate... I've let Ame know, and I'll report back on the results when I hear them. Thank you for testing this!

EDIT: Permissions have irreversibly changed, and aces are now no longer to lock their own threads. A member of the Staff would be the next solution for locking threads, then.

Edited by Arkhi

• 1 month later...

Um, if I may make this suggestion....

I've seen many people on Showdown who can't speak English and because of a rule that says we can't speak other languages. I'm lucky that I could help in some way 'cause I'm multilingual but maybe it's time to reconsider the rule. I don't know. Just a thought.

• Global Mods
2 hours ago, Cool Girl said:

Um, if I may make this suggestion....

I've seen many people on Showdown who can't speak English and because of a rule that says we can't speak other languages. I'm lucky that I could help in some way 'cause I'm multilingual but maybe it's time to reconsider the rule. I don't know. Just a thought.

I'm not a mod but I believe the reason the rule exists is so everyone can understand what's being said. If someone is speaking a language not everyone is familiar with, they may be discussing something against the rules (ex: sexual content or disrespect) and people wouldn't know if they are unless they speak the language being spoken. 

8 hours ago, Cool Girl said:

ICSW made accurate conjectures as to why we have this rule- we mean to promote an environment where users may understand one another and not bypass other rules with non-English. It is acceptable for users to speak other languages in back channels on Showdown, though.

• Global Mods

Have the "All Content" (default) option for the search bar include members (and maybe just change it to all). It includes every category except members.