Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance, & Discussion

Arkhi

Depends if Swims or Dan can make it a thing. I'll add it to the list and pitch a message to either and see if it's possible. There's some things to consider if it were possible, though.

-Can users turn the option to show the notification on and off?

-If one user has it on but another doesn't, should the notification show?

-Is there demand for the message to show in only a particular chat room?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idk if it's possible but can private messages that only have one reply say "1 reply" rather than "1 replies"" when you look at your Message list? I know threads already say "1 reply," so...

Also this is done now:

-Give a small text notification when a user spectates a battle, similar to when a user enters a new chat room. (Suggested by Kamina, 12/21/15)

Kamina's suggestion regarding a notification that users have begun watching is now enacted.

The OP was also updated, with several suggestions going to the Previous Suggestion bin. The latest discarded suggestions begin from the "Warning Point Consequences" suggestion. Additionally, the discarded suggestions spoiler has been divided in 2015 and 2016 based upon implementation year.

How about a sub-forum for fan-made games (ex: Pokémon Rejuvenation got a sub-forum). The reason I'm bringing this up is because of Pokémon Desolation, which is really popular just like Reborn and Rejuvenation. Can says he was making a wild pokémon location list and considering all the questions that people have, it's going to make a lot of threads on Pokémon Desolation, so why not a sub-forum for it? Just a suggestion. You don't have to do it.

We have the Fan Game Exposé for full-fledged games. Additionally, the Developing Games sub-forum is for games not yet fleshed into a lengthy enough format beyond gameplay testing. It depends if Caz wants the game to have its own sub-forum and if he plans to continue its creation. I mention these prerequisites because the creation of a new sub-forum demands the mass moving of all related topics, which is a lengthy task.

...and it only took me three days to reply.

I'd like to see a way to apply filters to the Notifications Panel.

I'll add this, but in the meantime, edit the notifications page of your profile to shoot you notifications of only what you care about.

Something weird happens when a mod moves a thread you are trying to respond to (and you submit the post anyways).

This is what happened to me: I was responding to a thread that was in the Reborn city section, but while I was doing so, a mod moved the thread to the Site help section. I wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for the mod's post, which stated that he'd just moved the thread.

I didn't refresh the page and posted my reply, but it showed some error message instead (no post found) because the thread was moved (and this seemed normal). I went back to the forum home:

The thread was showing up as the most recent one for the Grand Hall section (where it belongs), with the mod's reply shown as the latest post. At the same time, the latest thread in Reborn city appeared to be the same one as the one that got moved, this time showing my reply as the last one.

Sorry if I can't provide anymore details or screenshots, I am using my phone right now.

I read you. To clarify, I had moved the thread to Site Help, since it pertains to the server.

As for the error, I've got no good explanation. The site can't play catch up with a thread that's moved from one forum to another.

With regards to the "latest post" showing up in both Site Help and Reborn City, that's fairly straightforward. We have the forums arranged so that the latest post in any forum or sub-forum shows up from the Community Index. Your most recent post in the Reborn Showdown thread was being created while the thread existed in Reborn City, yet when the reply was made, it had already been moved. As such, your reply was counted as a proper reply to the thread and showed up in in the Community Index as Reborn City's most recent post. However, it was moved to Site Help where it exists now, so my reply was latest in that sub-forum, as it was made in the thread that had then moved to the Site Help sub-forum rather than in the Reborn City forum. The system is predictable in that regard, but it can't compensate for a thread being moved in the middle of the creation of a reply.

tl;dr

The forums can't keep up with replies, yet records each one made.

It's an interesting bug, but I don't know how easily it can be solved.

the creation of a debate subforum with it's own rules so that this can be better managed

If this ended up being created, my two cents on a rule:

"You may criticize someone's beliefs but not the user in question" or something to that effect.

To be honest, I don't think a debate subforum is necessary, instead this rule could be applied/enforced all over instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sifted heavily through the OP and sent many suggestions and bugs straight to Mr. Bigglesworth. I'm sure they'll find a home with him in the Discarded Suggestions spoiler. The discarded suggestions were unlikely be realized, not given the attention they needed to improve the site, or will be made needless due to a yet-to-arrive circumstance.

A big thank-you to those who have made suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

So I didn't see anything else about it in this thread after a quick search so...

In the server, I would suggest that Clarice be updated to issue a warning after so many consecutive posts before an automated flooding sanction. Since it appears to me that it doesn't happen that way already.

In the server, I would suggest that Clarice be updated to issue a warning after so many consecutive posts before an automated flooding sanction. Since it appears to me that it doesn't happen that way already.

This has been brought up before, but not discussed publicly. I believe the primary reason that it yet hasn't been implemented is that spammers or trolls would have more opportunities to post rule-breaking things in the Lobby before being muted. If this were to be implemented onto the server, I'd like to bring it up with the server managers. As to whether or not this becomes a thing boils down to several factors, preferably in this order:

• Does this solve any problems?
  • Can we implement it?
  • Do the users want it?

I imagine most users would like this, though once we get answers to the first and second, it's up to if users want the second chance to what is currently an immediate mute for flooding.

I believe the primary reason that it yet hasn't been implemented is that spammers or trolls would have more opportunities to post rule-breaking things in the Lobby before being muted.

If I understand this correctly, you mean that, hypothetically, a spammer would post the required amount of posts to warrant a mute (say, 7), then they would get a warning, then they would have to post 7 more things to be muted.

Assuming I got that correctly, perhaps a better alternative would be to get a warning after a smaller number of posts (say, 5 or 6), then get a mute when they reach 7 without resetting the number (i.e. after 7 total posts, so the total number of possible posts without mute doesn't change).

If I understand this correctly, you mean that, hypothetically, a spammer would post the required amount of posts to warrant a mute (say, 7), then they would get a warning, then they would have to post 7 more things to be muted.

Assuming I got that correctly, perhaps a better alternative would be to get a warning after a smaller number of posts (say, 5 or 6), then get a mute when they reach 7 without resetting the number (i.e. after 7 total posts, so the total number of possible posts without mute doesn't change).

Yup, you're reading that how I'd meant. A spammer would post 7 messages, then be warned. The warning is explanatory enough. I think lowering the spam message threshold leading up to a mute after warning is reasonable. Again, it comes down to if that can be programmed as such.

Anyway, I'll pitch the idea about and add it to the OP. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...

Did you click "Messenger," even without reading the specific message, before checking your notifications?

I've noticed that when you receive a new message and click Messenger, even without opening the message, it's marked as read in the Notifications feed. That might be it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a potential bug on the forum.

When I get a new PM, the notification ("X has replied to a personal conversation") is already marked as read, regardless of the actuality.

I hadn't confirmed this was added to the original post. Sorry about that! It is now edited into the OP.

-Ignored users' statuses still show in the Status Feed. (Reported by Vinny, 9/5/15)

To be fair, this was located under Site Bugs, but Vinny's gotchu.

• Support Squad

YO BOIZ SUPER SERIAL SUGGESTION HERE LEGITNESS

So you know how there's .hat and .lost etc? Well, how about each user can purchase one command similar to this. They'd have one at a time and have to use their rupees if they ever wanted to change it. This way everyone who sticks around to use their rupees gets a command and in the server commands gets to make a little impression until we have a little library of self made quotes of all the users. A real community thing.

So you know how there's .hat and .lost etc? Well, how about each user can purchase one command similar to this. They'd have one at a time and have to use their rupees if they ever wanted to change it. This way everyone who sticks around to use their rupees gets a command and in the server commands gets to make a little impression until we have a little library of self made quotes of all the users. A real community thing.

I'm really down for this, and it's something I've been meaning to push towards for a while. Were this suggested months sooner, I think we could have made it a thing. However, as of now, it's unlikely this will see fruition. It boils down to three things, which are in order of least influential to most influential to preventing this from being implemented:

1) There could be a lot of orders, which only a couple of people in Reborn could actually implement onto the server. I imagine the load would be given strictly to Dan or Swimming, as both are server adepts that I believe may be capable of creating the commands, though both are already working behind the scenes to create #3.

2) The creation of a new Site Shop item does carry some weight of its own- the creation of the sprite, the cost editing so that it's neither too much nor too little, and more. When a users purchases the SotD item, for example, a PM is sent to me notifying me. Since this item relies upon user input to create the .command, someone would need to manage these in order of purchase, relay the information, potentially create the command, and send this to Dan/Swimming. For a lot of orders to come in at once, that's a lot to put on Dan/Swimming, whose readiness to create the commands I cannot speak on behalf.

3) I'd hinted at this about a month ago:

The discarded suggestions... will be made needless due to a yet-to-arrive circumstance.

Since a change regarding the operation of the forums is in the making, it's extremely unlikely that the layout you've suggested will allow for .commands to be added. Once the change comes, the reason why this is unlikely to work should be self-explanatory. No further details at this time though, sorry!