Site/Server Suggestions, Maintenance, & Discussion

Arkhi

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the spontaneous tournaments are made on a whim and having prizes frequently distributed for them just seems unfair for people who miss the chance to join and also can be a bit unreasonable given they're not scheduled.

We should keep it the way it is now because that will lead to people constantly asking mods to host this tOUr, host this toUUr, host this other tour and that can get a bit hectic.

Only save the prizes for the special tourney events like parties and the ones Kuro used to host.

If you want prizes for each tour, you can try betting rupees with other competitors. Or is that looked down upon?

Ok so here's another suggestion. I think there's got to be a better way to prevent spammers. I've noticed lately that there are a lot of spammers coming to our Showdown server. I know that when the spam happens, they get locked, but there's got to be a way to prevent it from happening. Anyways, just saying and I just wanted to let you guys know.

Honestly, if there was a way we could prevent them from coming, we would. As would every other server which gets spammed.

We can target specific things, by making some links to servers banned phrases (which we do), but this only stops them from linking to the server which isn't all that they do.

There isn't a way to make all of the spammers disappear. If there was, we'd do it for sure, but the current system is the best thing we've got going for us.

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but may I suggest that the winner of a tournament wins some kind of prize? Or, you can have prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It can be a small prize, like you win some rupees, you win an art drawing, or you can get a sprite for free made by Shia something like that. I don't know. What do you guys think of this?

My first qualm would be assuming that, for every tournament won, the spriters or artists creating their media aren't willing to do so. Artists are not dispensable and unless we're paying an artist to hang around Reborn, it's inherently unfair to ask the artist to create something unless they are absolutely willing and consensual.

The next issue is the frequency of these tournaments, as mde mentioned. The spur-of-the-moment tournaments oughtn't have rewards of such a great caliber as a sprite- back to the prior point. Without a proper format nor plan to these tournaments, users could be unfairly more likely to win a reward, without regard to actual tournament skill- if a tournament occurs when there are few users online, one is more likely to win, statistically.

Ok so here's another suggestion. I think there's got to be a better way to prevent spammers. I've noticed lately that there are a lot of spammers coming to our Showdown server. I know that when the spam happens, they get locked, but there's got to be a way to prevent it from happening. Anyways, just saying and I just wanted to let you guys know.

I currently see our options as twofold:

-We maintain our current course of action and allow users the chance to speak upon joining the server for the first time. It is inclusive of any user not previously banned or muted, though it allows for spammers.

-We adopt a strict muting policy. Messages that do not contribute to server discussion are looked on as potential spam and may beget a warning or mute. It's a rough approach, but would cut down spamming. This approach would mean quicker mutes.

When editing your signature, would it be at all possible to have the "my current signature" area also show the trainer card, or have a "Preview complete signature" button which did?

On a related note, would it be at all possible to have an option in the signature editor that checks that the signature complies with all rules regarding the signature (Rule 4 in particular - Checking either for scroll tags or that the length of the signature is short enough)?

When editing your signature, would it be at all possible to have the "my current signature" area also show the trainer card, or have a "Preview complete signature" button which did?

It's not likely this could be incorporated now, though with a potential update coming in the future, I'll be sure to look back into this. Will add this to the Advanced Site Suggestions spoiler.

On a related note, would it be at all possible to have an option in the signature editor that checks that the signature complies with all rules regarding the signature (Rule 4 in particular - Checking either for scroll tags or that the length of the signature is short enough)?

There's no automatic procedure to test if one's signature fits within Forum-Specific Rule 4. The rule reads that the limit is two trainer cards' height, plus one's own trainer card- with each trainer card being about 225 pixels high, that would make the limit exactly 675 pixels in height. If your signature is a max of 700 pixels high, it'll work.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I got this great idea! :D I understand that there are video tutorials on game-making, but how about a in-depth written tutorial on game-making for people who want to make pokémon games? Like, a written tutorial on how to script/event and all of that. Like I understand there are video tutorials, but for some people, they can't understand video tutorials and they benefit more from written tutorials. Like, for example, I really like Nova's tutorial on spriting. I found it very helpful. Even more helpful than video tutorials on spriting. Just a suggestion! :D Thank you for taking the time to read this! :D

Edited by Cool Girl

A couple of us have talked about this a few times in the RP section, but it's never been brought here, at least not to my knowledge. Basically, the suggestion is to add an automated dice-roll option to forum posts. You click it just like you would an emoticon or anything else, and it "rolls" a die for you, posting the result automatically for all to see. A couple other forums I've used in the past had the option, though I've personally never had much use for it until coming here. It would probably only be useful for the RP section, but it'd be super useful if available.

So, I got this great idea! :D I understand that there are video tutorials on game-making, but how about a in-depth written tutorial on game-making for people who want to make pokémon games? Like, a written tutorial on how to script/event and all of that. Like I understand there are video tutorials, but for some people, they can't understand video tutorials and they benefit more from written tutorials. Like, for example, I really like Nova's tutorial on spriting. I found it very helpful. Even more helpful than video tutorials on spriting. Just a suggestion! :D Thank you for taking the time to read this! :D

Not happening, unless someone else wants to organize the whole thing. I'm getting a bit tired of throwing things together only for half of the participants to turn away and make things more difficult for those who remain and those who organize it alongside myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

One thing I've thought about is maybe under Fan Game Expose, a subforum for questions about Pokemon Essentials, RPG Maker, etc.

Occasionally there'll be a question about how to do something in Essentials or RPG Maker and most of those threads are posted in Fan Game Expose or the Wasteland, neither of which I think they fit. The reason I don't think they fit in Fan Game Expose is because it's a forum for fangames, and a thread asking a programming/technical question isn't a fangame.

P.S.

It says Site Suggestions were last updated 2/26, but a suggestion from 5/18 is listed.

1eb92bda53624f6e8f9a3feccdf1cdd8.png

One thing I've thought about is maybe under Fan Game Expose, a subforum for questions about Pokemon Essentials, RPG Maker, etc.

Occasionally there'll be a question about how to do something in Essentials or RPG Maker and most of those threads are posted in Fan Game Expose or the Wasteland, neither of which I think they fit. The reason I don't think they fit in Fan Game Expose is because it's a forum for fangames, and a thread asking a programming/technical question isn't a fangame.

The best fit for questions regarding using Pokemon Essentials, RPG Maker, and other game development programs is the Developing Games sub-forum. Currently, that's where questions about this topic are moved. To avoid cluttering of the Fan-game Exposé, it's unlikely that a sub-forum for questions regarding game development software will be created. However, if a large influx of questions about game development topics start coming in or the Developing Games sub-forum no longer accurately hosts nor represents the topics of these threads, then a sub-forum for these topics may very well be created.

P.S.

It says Site Suggestions were last updated 2/26, but a suggestion from 5/18 is listed.

1eb92bda53624f6e8f9a3feccdf1cdd8.png

gdi Ark you were supposed to fix that

i know man, im sorry

It's updated! Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: I've updated the Site Discussion section of the OP (for like the first time ever?):

Should a Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon spoiler lock be emplaced?

Please vote in the poll and voice your replies!

Edited by Arkhi

• Support Squad

I can't think of an example where people enjoyed going into a game knowing most of what they'll find more than if they were totally blind. Constant buzz about it will build hype in the bad way, building expectations to be let down, especially for a game so focused on exploring and finding all the features. People can consume the media in regards to sun and moon by their choice but it gets harder to make that choice on their own when it's all they see here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Global Mods

Since the domain is going to be updated soon, I don't know if this thread is still open to discussions or suggestions. I also don't know if what I'm suggesting will be technologically possible either here or on the new site, but I still wanted to bring it up. I should've brought it up when I first thought about it a few months ago, but

I think an option to report statuses would be useful. You can report posts in threads, but not statuses. So if you want to report a status, you have to go to the "Report Member" option in that user's profile. I'm not sure how many people know that exists, since it's pretty small and at the bottom of pages. I only stumbled on it 2-3 weeks ago and never noticed it before.

EDIT: Oh Ame just said there's a way to report them in the new domain, nvm

Yes, this has been a trifling issue for years that resulted in many rule-infringing statuses or status comments left unreported. However, since an update will make this inconsequential, I will not add it to the OP.

With the impending update now publicized, I plan on retiring this thread and locking it once the site update drops. Preferably, once the update hits, I will create one new thread specifically for maintenance records (regarding changes made to the forums, Showdown server, and Discord server together) and one for Site/Showdown/Discord suggestions. If bugs for the forums exist, then the maintenance thread will detail those as well, though I imagine we won't see many site errors with the new release.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how relevant this thread is anymore, but since it has not been locked I assume it's still viable.

That said, I would love to see the expansion of BBCode. A big thing I'm missing is tables, I think it would be a lot easier to do special formatting on posts and signatures with BBCode tables, and other BBCode, since we don't have the ability to do raw HTML. It should be fairly easy to implement in the Admin CP, an d I believe there is a plugin for it as as well.

Even better would be the complete overhaul of BBCode by replacing it with markdown. This is more well known at this point probably than raw BBCode, since it's widely used even in this community, with things like Discord and Showdown, and it's also widely used with sites like Reddit and Github. It might be possible to set markdown in the Admin CP fairly easily, or it might require some backend stuff and changing the parser in the PHP files for BBCode... either way I'm willing to bet there's a plugin to add it.

Oh please no don't use Markdown for a forum.  It's simply not the right tool for the job, and would pretty much break literally everything dependent upon having multiple font colors so far as I know.  Oh, and it also breaks literally anything that uses asterisks, underscores, etc.

With that said, I'd like to see wider BBCode support, certainly.  Glows and shadows (and tables, if they somehow aren't supported) would be nice.  Also, a button that does 'align right', like there already is for left and center.  Or a button to view the raw BBCode, for that matter.

Oh, also, would it be possible, and/or feasible, to enable all of the notification options?  I, for one, would like to actually be able to get PM notifications through email.

Edited by TheBiggerFish
Added more "why not to use Markdown for forums".