There's more to battling than Pokemon types, ya know!

Amethyst

• Administrators

Who's up for a little screening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9futakSJpXw

(consider jumping to 3:18 for this one, sorry for the extraneous scenes)

Now!

Pop quiz!

What did all of those battles, and many more that we've seen throughout the Pokemon anime, have in common?

Pencils down?

Answer?
In all of them, Ash relies on the advantages of his surroundings to win!

Even from Ash's very first gym battle, a common and frequently epic theme of the show has been letting Trainers rely on the unique features of their terrain. Sprinklers in Brock's gym may have been dumb luck, but ice skating and melting the ground were far from accidents.

In the anime, every gym leader has their own custom field, and there are even randomized rotating fields for qualifying matches in Indigo Plateau. ...And yet, these amazing interactions have been almost entirely absent from the main series' Pokemon games. In fact, with the exception of Pledge combinations and the largely ignored trio of new Terrain moves from Pokemon XY, the surroundings of any given battle have played almost no role beyond what pretty background picture gets to be displayed.

...So let's change that, shall we?

Coming to Pokemon Reborn's Episode 11 and onwards, I'll be introducing a variety of Field Effects into the game to spice up the classic strategy of the Pokemon series with a never-before-seen element of play!

You might be shocked by what you find in Julia's brand new stadium! What wild Tricks are folded into Radomus' Chess Arena?

And even those of you sitting pretty at the end of E10 might do well to fear what comes from the Darkness...

Luna may claim that "Darkness is love," ... but isn't love another name for pain?

• Upvote 2

That's a nice idea, and also a unique one, cuz there's nothing like that in any game that i played (Fan made games and what not) I can relate to this though:

saw the videos, saw the spoiler

my face?

1280195-fuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Pro Tip: Change Serra's "terrain" and make her battle a double battle again = Rage Everywhere

Allow us to use such epic strategies of our own; that would be fantastic. Move combinations would be really nice, and this whole "I dont care about types thingy" is also applicable when we create sets on our own; if you read and write fanfics a lot you can tell that's a hell lot of good darn strategies.

I did not see this coming. I have to echo Tenshine's comment, I'm surprised Ame is deviating from the standard metagame. This could very easily make the game easier for us or harder. It just depends of the cicumstances, I'd guess.

Or it could just make the game fucking hard all the time.

If this works, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be epic! Really, the terrain is all important in any kind of real fight, so it just makes sense it should be in Pokémon too. Bring it on Ame!

Even if the idea IS cool and I wanna use it, using anime logic... Really Ame? That thing pulled stupid ideas like the Thunder Armor and AIM FOR THE HORN!

No, the idea is cool, but don't bring "Ash's Logic" to Reborn.

I'm So Anxious For Episode 11! The Suspense is Killing me.... This new Improvement is gonna be a work of art. No one really knows exactly how it's gonna work out so all we have to do is simply wait. Let's be positive and embrace the changes...

• Upvote 1

In the anime, every gym leader has their own custom field, and there are even randomized rotating fields for qualifying matches in Indigo Plateau. ...And yet, these amazing interactions have been almost entirely absent from the main series' Pokemon games. In fact, with the exception of Pledge combinations and the largely ignored trio of new Terrain moves from Pokemon XY, the surroundings of any given battle have played almost no role beyond what pretty background picture gets to be displayed.

I disagree. Rotation Battles are a perfect simulation of what happens when you battle on rotating platforms. Rotation Battles are also not in Reborn.

Hmmm... I have to think about this a little. On the one hand, I would love to see this in game and to a degree the actual games have implemented this (Electric, grassy, and misty terrain). However, I also think that the effects should make some intuitive sense and have some effect that the player and the opponent can use to their advantage, as opposed to Herp-de-Derp Julia and co are immune to ground types and can damage ground types with electric moves. For example, Randomus's gym, aside from certain actions like switching pokemon or healing has no priority or has a permanent trick room effect or Serra's gym (I wish it had an ice rink in there to justify this) giving pokemon the equivalent of hustle- increasing the power of physical (or perhaps just contact moves) but in exchange reducing those affected moves power.

This is one of the reasons I always thought a Pokemon 3rd person beat-em-up style game would be cool. Instead of just pressing a move, you have to do a combo or button press or something for it. I think that'd be pretty neat.