There's more to battling than Pokemon types, ya know!

Amethyst

• Administrators

Hey, this suspiciously reminds me of a certain topic started by a certain owner about field effects underwater OP

EQ in cave collapses it, dealing supreme damage to fliers and collapses the cave. Make it so, Ame-san.

Haha, I was wondering if anyone would remember that. I probably won't go that far with the changes to water stuff, but it would be interesting.

For those missing the context, Mael is alluding to the fact that this is kind of an unsurprising announcement to veteran members. Once upon a time before 5th gen hit I indulged myself in expanding this idea quite wildly in a forum post somewhere. Although at the time the game wasn't a thing so I had no plans to actualize it, when I regained this idea recently I could hardly resist.

I'll be making a different post to better explain how this is going to work, later.

• Upvote 1

Btw, where did you stash that topic anyways, Ame? I can't seem to find it in the relevant boards...

Typhlosion used Eruption. The whole mountain blew up, killing everyone and turned the nearest village into the the newest Pompei redux.

Evil Ame is Evil. But that's why we keep her around. =3

I know people seem a bit cautious of the idea of terrain atm but wow I can see the potential for whole new layers of strategy to be born. For example imagine a field which every time a contact move is used a two turn lasting sand storm is triggered, someone like florina would undoubtably more difficult but not indestructible.

Oh dear lord no. It took me months to beat Rini (Like, I literally just beat her Saturday >_< Lots of breaks where I didn't play, but still...) Though, in all honesty, that actually sounds pretty great, even if it would be absurdly hard

• 2 months later...

That whole thing about Love is Pain? Just ask shofu.

Recently it has taken shofu an average of TWO videos to take down one gym leader, but recently (Luna) has had this darkness field play to her advantage, without shofu even noticing what the heck was going on. If you watch the videos, YES. It -did- seem as if he was getting all kinds of hax against him, but the thing that I noticed almost instantly was that Luna's Dark Pulses and Night Slashes were packing some serious damage.

shofu sounded as if he appreciated the "DARKNESSS" as a cool battle intro, but at times seemed unawares that this field was part of the issues he was facing.

Also, his Reborn team is a tad underleveled....but, hey, can't blame him too much. He's gotta keep making videos!

All that to say, I think Reborn -should- take the terrain effects and diverge on them. The biggest thing that this game has is difficulty and the groundworks of having to approach all aspects of a Pokemon game with a higher degree of maturity (or you wouldn't make it through the meat grinder that the game is at all). It's nice to see differences in Reborn, in my opinion.

Luna may claim that "Darkness is love," ... but isn't love another name for pain?

This was an excellent game mechanic you implemented, and this thread did catch my attention still, but I object to that.

Also, here's something I've perceived, if you'd care to read what I deign to be a personal insight:

Love is actually the desire for what's best for others (the innate human wish to do something good for the sake of other people; something worthwhile); I'd say that's essentially the definition of good. Conversely, hatred is the desire for what's worst for others; to not value other people; the desire for others to suffer.

But, of course, choosing to act upon the emotion of love, which is to not value oneself in favor of compassion for others (desiring what's best for them instead), can and most frequently does bring oneself pain.

On the other hand, caring only about oneself and rejecting compassion for others and any desire to do anything good or worthwhile causes pain unto others.

I would say light represents/symbolizes awareness, as, through it, people discover and learn the difference between right and wrong; through sapience, people know the difference between good and evil, recognize the consequences their actions bring upon other people, and have the capacity for a soul; a sense of what one should do.

People who don't give a damn about other people and only live for themselves, for the sole purpose of pleasuring themselves, value their own lives most and live for nothing; their lives are empty (to not care about others is to make one's own life a waste).

That would be part of how I realized that life amounts to nothing, signifying everything.

I did discover that what it signifies, on the other hand, is worth something; how one feels.

It's really not about things; it's about the message you give to people during one's life, and letting them know that you care about them; that's what amounts to something. That's what's truly worthwhile.

One thing I have to assert is that people often confuse light with color; color is a material attribute of a physical substance that people can perceive by the amount and qualities of light that object reflects; it's foolish to whitewash a fuck-ton of worthless things such as the way Elias does, as they are simply traits from which people can observe their presence and properties, and I think that serves well to illustrate his whitewashed soul; reflecting everything, blaming, seeing nothing (he finds fault in everyone); he is truly blind.

Even his Ditto illustrates this; it reflects and imitates Arceus, claiming on the outside to be in its likeness, but it's really just a foul little creature within.

People are certainly vicious, and, furthermore, they simply deserve to suffer for what they do. People can realize this and desire vengeance once they've seen that light; once they know what actions cause to others. And that would be fair; for people to suffer what they deserve for what they do. Of course, there is a difference between what's fair and what's right. People may deserve to suffer for what they do, but causing them to suffer (to pay evil unto evil) never results in anything good, and you never know what they've been through, and even if you did feel how unfair life is to you, it could always be worse, and no one knows what injustice people have to suffer anywhere around the world, all for nothing (just for the pride and pleasure of the person who wronged them, which is utterly worthless in the end, because whatever someone has or is or can do really won't even mean a damn when they're dead), so we have no right to complain. Of course, life isn't fair, but people should still try to do what's right. So, I'd definitely say that it's best to love; to not even hate whoever might be screwing with you. And, of course, you're no better than the next person if you only want what's best for the people who are kind to you and hate everyone else's guts.

People should also be sure that they do kind things not merely to feel good about themselves (which is itself another useless pleasure), but because they should care about others.

I would say that people are born with an honest desire to do good; to do something worthwhile with their lives, but once they discover the repercussions to their actions, they typically (well, actually, they always do; it's simply a matter of when) corrupt themselves with greed (unless they never live long enough to learn/realize that, and/or are like Luna, of course; I will explain that in a moment).

They begin to desire things, and it's easier to desire things; to pleasure oneself or be at ease. To not have concern for others, but, rather, for things, really is the same thing as hatred (well, things specifically would be greed, a type of hatred); to not value people (to not give a damn about others).

And, so, that's how greed is the root of all evil; the root of hatred (the desire/intention for others to suffer is essentially the definition of evil).

Anyone who realizes the difference between right and wrong hates the people who wrong them at some point, until they learn that they should care about others anyways, and, even then, people sometimes either forget or cease to give a damn and start to value themselves, their own pleasure, and their senseless pride again.

In the end, residing within darkness without ever knowing or witnessing light would result in a pure, untainted life without even knowing any better, although I'd say maybe it is even better to want what's best for others without knowing the difference between what's right and what's wrong (how what you do affects others, and what it means to others) than to know the difference between good and evil and, upon doing so, hate others yourself.

Which is to say that Luna would still be like an infant who has never felt greed; her heart is still innocent (of course, it's a wonder that someone could grow up to even be that old without realizing the difference between what's right and what's wrong; to attain that knowledge/awareness of the law, which is the understanding of what people should do).

It also makes it feel even more fitting that she obliviously acknowledges Radomus as her father; she practically imposes darkness upon herself so that she doesn't know any better.

So, of course, Luna's character should never hate anyone if she truly is that innocent; no matter how vile a person has committed a wrong against her, she can and will feel pain from it, but she should never hate anyone (not even the cruelest bastard) for it.

And that's good; to only want to do something good, even if you don't realize the difference between what's right and what's wrong, the consequences of your actions to other people, and even the sheer fact that you want to do something good for others (how much you care about, or flat-out love other people; to not know what you want or the repercussions of what you do); for her to immerse herself in darkness, which is, in a way, to not be self-aware.

...or (and I'd be surprised if Amethyst actually cared enough to read through all of that; hardly anyone I ever know even wants to listen to what I might have to say, and, of course, no one should have to, but, if anyone actually did, kudos to you) should I have messaged it to you?

...you know; even though there are probably, like, 50 better things you might have to do right now, because, of course, you have a life to take care of, and this might be spending some time other people might have preferred for you to allocate towards releasing Episode XII, but thank you kindly if you did care to listen.

Edited by Truly Deceptive
  • Upvote 1