Val too OP on V13

WimpOut

Her field gives significant boost to her on a high level, and apparently she crits a lot too. How am I supposed to beat her? Making her field a toxic water doesn't do shit. I can't freeze her field with the available mons. Everything outspeeds my team. Every single one of her mons have coverage and on top of that the move whirlpool got goddamn annoying cause of 100% confusion. Then there's the aquabatics another pain in the ass.  She was a pain on the other versions but mostly manageable but this is way harder. I'm stuck at Terajuma now

First there are lot  grass mons surrounding and you also get a charjabug or vikaavolt around the area.

TELL ME WHAT ALL POKEMON YOU HAVE. (INCLUDING THE BOXED) you can check them on  zen ship right.

pyukumuku maybe can be of help found on the shore.

Speaking from experience from replaying v13 and playing on intense:

I got the whirlpool tm from the hotel in east gearen in like chapter 1-2. If you have that and a fast water type an easy way to cheese her is use your own whirpooler to hax all her mons. If you don't have that tm or want a legit consistent strategy to beat her what you need are a team of electric types and a mon with soak. Grass types really dont cut it vs her. Almost her entire team with mons such as qwuilfish, tentacruel, primarina, whishcash with the crest, and her soak + tbolt lanturn will dumpster your grass types. You need to abuse the water field that boosts electric by 1.5x. I'd legit go with 4 electric types and 1-2 mons with soak (so you can beat the whishcash and the lanturn) to reliably beat her. Some good electric types that I can name off the top of my head that you could have by now are luxray,bolthund,raichu, and plusle. Some mons with soak are basculin if you have it, or you can catch a pyukumuku on the beach and rare candy it up to lvl 41 and learn soak and then reverse candy it back down. Another option is if you somehow have a mon with blizzard you can change her field and ruin her team, although i don't think theres any obtainable mons that can have blizzard pre-40. TLDR if you dont have a few good electric mons, your not beating her without a bunch of luck going your way.

I really think the devs need to give you a way to go back to east gearen and other regions before this fight. Valerie is much harder than she was on previous versions and 

without multiple good electric mons its very possible to get softlocked on her.

Edited by 7ravens

1 hour ago, 7ravens said:

Speaking from experience from replaying v13 and playing on intense:

I got the whirlpool tm from the hotel in east gearen in like chapter 1-2. If you have that and a fast water type an easy way to cheese her is use your own whirpooler to hax all her mons. If you don't have that tm or want a legit consistent strategy to beat her what you need are a team of electric types and a mon with soak. Grass types really dont cut it vs her. Almost her entire team with mons such as qwuilfish, tentacruel, primarina, whishcash with the crest, and her soak + tbolt lanturn will dumpster your grass types. You need to abuse the water field that boosts electric by 1.5x. I'd legit go with 4 electric types and 1-2 mons with soak (so you can beat the whishcash and the lanturn) to reliably beat her. Some good electric types that I can name off the top of my head that you could have by now are luxray,bolthund,raichu, and plusle. Some mons with soak are basculin if you have it, or you can catch a pyukumuku on the beach and rare candy it up to lvl 41 and learn soak and then reverse candy it back down. Another option is if you somehow have a mon with blizzard you can change her field and ruin her team, although i don't think theres any obtainable mons that can have blizzard pre-40. TLDR if you dont have a few good electric mons, your not beating her without a bunch of luck going your way.

I really think the devs need to give you a way to go back to east gearen and other regions before this fight. Valerie is much harder than she was on previous versions and 

without multiple good electric mons its very possible to get softlocked on her.

YEAH I AGREE TO YOUR TIPS AND I ALSO HAD AN ABOMASNOW I CAUGHT IN  BLACKSTEEPLE CASTLE.

I sent out luxray first which caused her to switch to seaking. I predict the switch and send out noctowl to use hypnosis. I switch to cacturne to take out the seaking. I use cinderace with poison sweep to kill  the primarina, but had to revive him once because he was the only mon that outsped. I used cacturne on the dewgong and HAD to hope for a crit. Luckily a crit one shot and it never attacked me after numerous turns. Luxray did the rest.

Just beat Val in a Rock-Mono. No items (except given ones), on Set-mode. On normal mode though^^. I knew Val would be a roadblock. Took a few tries to optimize, but worth it. Damn that Lanturn though.^^

Team:

Lunatone

Drednaw

Barbaracle

Bonsly

A-Graveler

Coalossal

Edited by Rage991

image.png.643bf1520cc54c1b5bb1d31b7e7c61c9.png

This was the team I used to beat Val on Intense, Set mode, No Items.

Corviknight (Which comes from Route 3 Phantump Egg trade) can be a decent answer to Quilfish.

Specially defensive Eldegoss+Physically defensive Amoonguss is a good core, allows you heal off Lanturn with Leech Seed/Regenerator, and tank through every T-Bolt, ignoring Soak with switches.

If you can get Swoobat in and calm mind in front of Whiscash or Leech Seeded Tentacruel, Psychic should be more than enough to deal with the problem. (Learns the move at 41, so you'll need a Rare Candy for this one.)

Amoonguss can tank one Ice Punch from Floatzel and OHKO it with Giga Drain.

Wailord is there just as a filler, in case Swoobat wasn't able to deal with Whiscash.

And then Oricorio just works as a cleaner with electric type revelation dance for Primarina.

I was completely walled by her Dewgong. A fully EV-trained Clefable with Cosmic Power let me stall the Dewgong and eventually crit a Stored Power to sweep.

If you have a decent Psychic sweeper you can OHKO her Quillfish immediately, but she'll probably bring in her Floatzel to outspeed it or Dewgong to set up.

She really is crazy strong this time around and you're basically stuck with whatever pokemon you have.

It wouldn't surprise me if people get soft-locked here. I had to use EV trained pokemon from V12 to beat her.

Edited by Arthesia

I read this thread before heading to Akuwa town, so good looking out. Val has been tough for me on most playthroughs, but thankfully I could catch a few pokemon before we're locked out of the mainland. For those of us playing on normal mode, the advice about not using grass types isn't as helpful; normal mode Val uses a Seaking that proves to be truly problematic for most electric mons. If you're reading this for help on a normal mode play, go ahead and embrace a bit of grass. 

My team that eventually won wasn't very good:

Cinderace

Gloom

Lurantis

Floatzel

Swoobat

Electrode

I started with Swoobat, as when it knows psychic (lv 41 - rare candy) and has full health, she will switch qwilfish out (it wasn't afraid of confusion lol). Dewgong would be a problem for most of this team, as it's very bulky and, once it gets stockpiles + rest going, can't be penetrated. Swoobat with simple helped though, as I could get to +4 spdef spa really easily. I needed most of the team to hold a persim berry (which we just got from the shore) to avoid whirlpool ruining things. Swoobat needed 2 psychics at +4 to beat dewgong, since it comes with a spdef boost on the switch. Cinderace behind electrode's light screen beat primarina with headbutt flinch spam. After every KO she threatened me with qwilfish, but Swoobat kept forcing it out and eventually beat it with a single psychic. The main reason gloom is here is to get a stun spore on qwilfish, to neutralize its swift swim. Couldn't have won without that. Lurantis handled floatzel, seaking, and Lanturn, but it did die in the fight as a pivot, so I needed a max revive. That makes me feel like I didn't "really" beat Val, but she's tough. I'll take it. I tried a zebstrika, no good. Electrode was gonna be the ace here, but couldn't fight with Seaking lurking around. 

Now I gotta figure out how to make my trash mons get through Geara. Feels like I need EV training to go any further. 

Am doing a intense mono dark type run and am currently walled by her. I bullshitted my way through keta/marianette with hax but Valarie is a different kind of evil.

Not being able to return to the mainland really hurts, especially because there are no damn pokemon that give speed ev on terajuma. Her primarina with 60 base speed just outspeeds nearly all my mons :/

• 1 year later...