Movesets for All Crest Pokemon

Matt.

It's nice to see a guide so that people have a better idea of what to run on crested mons, but I also have some suggestions for some of the crests that may be helpful

You could also run swords dance Ariados for even more power instead of sticky webs, surely ariados isn't that fast and against offensive it struggles to set swords dance but after one or 2 boosts with either screens or sleep support is definitely devastating, plus you always have the option to run tspikes or webs in another pokemon

Recover is an amazing move on crest beheeyem, since it pairs perfectly with the crest and helps you beat foes with super effective moves after you disabled that move, giving a lot of longevity to it, I personally used it over terrains since beheeyem can't hold an amplified stone and I don't like terrains but still recover is great on it and should definitely be considered

Deddene could run volt switch for people that play on set mode, I know they aren't the majority but its definitely an option

Empoleon has the bulk and typing to do a double dance set with sd and agility, probably running liquidation and power trip since steel stab isn't that useful

Fal just said that but magcargo crest doesn't pair well with shell smash since it makes you slower by lowering your defense

Oricorio definitely can use roost in their sets due to its passable bulk, specially electric and fire ones with their good typings

Hypno gets nasty plot which is definitely a viable setup option, signal beam could potentially take down dark types but most of them are fast physical attackers which hypno hates

Stantler gets sucker punch by RM, which can potentially be better than throat chop due to its average speed and most slower targets being put to sleep

This is all I had to help, I hope I wasn't being rude 😄

23 minutes ago, AAAAAAAAAAA said:

It's nice to see a guide so that people have a better idea of what to run on crested mons, but I also have some suggestions for some of the crests that may be helpful

You could also run swords dance Ariados for even more power instead of sticky webs, surely ariados isn't that fast and against offensive it struggles to set swords dance but after one or 2 boosts with either screens or sleep support is definitely devastating, plus you always have the option to run tspikes or webs in another pokemon

Recover is an amazing move on crest beheeyem, since it pairs perfectly with the crest and helps you beat foes with super effective moves after you disabled that move, giving a lot of longevity to it, I personally used it over terrains since beheeyem can't hold an amplified stone and I don't like terrains but still recover is great on it and should definitely be considered

Deddene could run volt switch for people that play on set mode, I know they aren't the majority but its definitely an option

Empoleon has the bulk and typing to do a double dance set with sd and agility, probably running liquidation and power trip since steel stab isn't that useful

Oricorio definitely can use roost in their sets due to its passable bulk, specially electric and fire ones with their good typings

Hypno gets nasty plot which is definitely a viable setup option, signal beam could potentially take down dark types but most of them are fast physical attackers which hypno hates

Stantler gets sucker punch by RM, which can potentially be better than throat chop due to its average speed and most slower targets being put to sleep

This is all I had to help, I hope I wasn't being rude 😄

Thanks for the reply!

- Yeah, Swords Dance is worth it if you have other Sticky Web support. If not, you need Sticky Web on Ariados because it's such a good move for your team overall.

- I completely agree with you that Recover is a fantastic move, but I have fewer recovery moves on these sets compared to competitive sets due to the fact that this in-game, and you can use potions. Same for Roost on Oricorio.

- Agree about Dedenne and Empoleon

- Nasty Plot was an oversight on Hypno, but what you said about Signal Beam is why I didn't include it. Sure, you hit them, but they often outspeed and KO you anyway. 

- Didn't realize that the RM could teach transfer-only moves

- Ice Punch is weaker than Ice Fang on Feraligatr due to the Crest boost.

Edited by MattL

Hell yeah, this is one of the threads i waited for (mainly bec i was too lazy to write it myself). 

Didnt read through all of it yet but definitly a really good guide, thank you:)

I'm not sure about my baby claydol, i think i will be running ice beam on it once the tm comes available instead of a stab i think its more viable comined with the other attacks.

Really good guide, love it. Gives some pretty good tips one might not consider, like Power Trip on Empoleon which seems pretty broken.

Typhlosion also has a very interesting option with Nature Power, since the move it turns into can be either physical or special, so Typhlosion can always cover both.

By the way, you can teach egg moves with the second move relearner in Sheridan village, no need to breed. Thus it's really easy to get some of the sets.

Also, it's nice that you made the EV spreads so detailed and considered other mons (e.g. still outspeeding others), but Rejuv often exceeds the 252 limit, especially on Intense, so it might sometimes not work out.

Edited by Edo

20 minutes ago, Edo said:

Really good guide, love it. Gives some pretty good tips one might not consider, like Power Trip on Empoleon which seems pretty broken.

Typhlosion also has a very interesting option with Nature Power, since the move it turns into can be either physical or special, so Typhlosion can always cover both.

By the way, you can teach egg moves with the second move relearner in Sheridan village, no need to breed. Thus it's really easy to get some of the sets.

Also, it's nice that you made the EV spreads so detailed and considered other mons (e.g. still outspeeding others), but Rejuv often exceeds the 252 limit, especially on Intense, so it might sometimes not work out.

Didn't realize that about the egg moves, thanks! That is fantastic and I'll edit all of the sets. And I think Nature Power is worth a mention. Good point about some opponents having illegal EV spreads, but unfortunately that's hard to account for. 

Well illegal EVs are actually less of an issue:
1. Only intense even has illegal EVs at all (and by that i generaly mean exceeding the 510 EV total)
2. Only 1 singular Fight (so far) has mons that exceed 252 EVs in a stat (or multiple), which would be Ryland (glares at 348 Speed Adamant Sandrush Drill, and other fun stuff)

As for the sets, the all look fun, and make sense, not sure if Power-Up Punch is avaiable for Ledian yet though (in fact i think it isn't, we don't have a TM for it iirc)

Edited by Falirion
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I try rating the crests and bring them into Tiers. 

I have to say that I didn´t try out all of them right now and I think I will change some of my opinions in V13 once more items are available.

So here my opinions

S Tier (overpowered):                   Claydol, Spiritomb

A Tier (really good but not op):   Bastiodon, Beheeyem, Dusknoir, Feraligatr, Ledian, Meganium, Typhlosion

B Tier (perfectly balanced):          Empoleon, Glaceon, Seviper, Leafeon, Stantler, Oricorio, Cofagrigus, Castform

C Tier: (not that great but ok):     Ariados, Dedenne, Fearow, Hypno, Rampardos, Relicanth, Skuntank, Torterra, Whiscash, Zangoose

D Tier: (not really worth it)           Cherrim, Darmanitan, Infernape, Magcargo

Any other opinions about that?

Nice post and thanks for the link to the Crest Effect Guide! I would like to add my opinion about 2 crests:

• About Infernape crest, I think that running Close Combat on a defensive set undermines the whole point of the crest. And so us not using all of the amazing support options in its movepool, which at this version of the game is understandable, the only way that Chimchar is obtainable is via starter choice, so whoever pick it is probably using it as a offensive glass cannon through the whole game. This Pokemon has access to 3 setup moves in Calm Mind, Nasty Plot and Bulk Up (the TM already available right?), something that is really rare on both Rejuv and Reborn where set-up TMs are rarely distributed, while being able to recover with Slack Off. It's capable of cripple, trap and do residual damage on physical opponents with Will-O-Wisp and Fire Spin. If the Substitute TM is available it can also try to use Sub + Focus Punch after a couple Bulk Ups make so that the opponent can't break the Sub with a single hit, doing more damage than CC while not having its defenses dropped. It also has access to both physical and special STAB priority with Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave TM if choose to run defensive EVs instead of Speed EVs on the set-up sets. Another moves that could be mentioned are: Fake Out, Quick Guard, Helping Hand (the last 3 more useful to Double Battles), Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Encore, Taunt and Power-Up Punch. The main downsides is the lost of the item slot to run those options and the fact that its abilities doesn't help most of those options.
  • About Meganium set, another option is make the Meganium a physical wall and add Counter (via Egg Move Tutor) as one its options do deal damage. It also learns Heal Pulse, complementing its role as a good partner for Doubles Battles.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, TripleHHH said:

Nice post and thanks for the link to the Crest Effect Guide! I would like to add my opinion about 2 crests:

• About Infernape crest, I think that running Close Combat on a defensive set undermines the whole point of the crest. And so us not using all of the amazing support options in its movepool, which at this version of the game is understandable, the only way that Chimchar is obtainable is via starter choice, so whoever pick it is probably using it as a offensive glass cannon through the whole game. This Pokemon has access to 3 setup moves in Calm Mind, Nasty Plot and Bulk Up (the TM already available right?), something that is really rare on both Rejuv and Reborn where set-up TMs are rarely distributed, while being able to recover with Slack Off. It's capable of cripple, trap and do residual damage on physical opponents with Will-O-Wisp and Fire Spin. If the Substitute TM is available it can also try to use Sub + Focus Punch after a couple Bulk Ups make so that the opponent can't break the Sub with a single hit, doing more damage than CC while not having its defenses dropped. It also has access to both physical and special STAB priority with Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave TM if choose to run defensive EVs instead of Speed EVs on the set-up sets. Another moves that could be mentioned are: Fake Out, Quick Guard, Helping Hand (the last 3 more useful to Double Battles), Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Encore, Taunt and Power-Up Punch. The main downsides is the lost of the item slot to run those options and the fact that its abilities doesn't help most of those options.
  • About Meganium set, another option is make the Meganium a physical wall and add Counter (via Egg Move Tutor) as one its options do deal damage. It also learns Heal Pulse, complementing its role as a good partner for Doubles Battles.

CC on crest- ape is actually strange in that regard, as CC doesn't actually lower it's defenses with the crest it drops it's OFFENSES ( so it actually opperates more like Leaf storm or the like)
because the crest swaps the stat wholesale including boost so -1 def is effectively -1 atk for it (aka the same issue that crest magcargo has with shell smash, making shell smash horrible on magcargo)

• 2 weeks later...

There is one crest that isn't available in game, but is available via debug. I thought I would share it since I didn't find any information about it anywhere. Anyway, it's the Cryogonogal Crest, which makes it use sp.atk for psysical moves. 

Edited by Melons

My thoughts on the Crests, are as follows. Please listen to or ignore my non-professional gamer opinions as you wish.

One of the things about the Crests, I think, is that they are supposed to be not as good (usually) as Z moves, Megas, or dynamaxing.

Mostly because you could slap a Crest onto everybody on your team if you wanted instead of the one each approach, so there's probably got to be a bit of balance (but since it is one-person and the fanbase is smaller, balance isn't as strict).

Most of these are good, (Claydol and Spiritomb might actually need a nerf), but I would say Cherrim and Magcargo both could use a bit more of a buff on their Crests (and maybe Leafeon and Glaceon too, but those two aren't as stiffed in the metagame, I think). Maybe Castform should get a Sandstorm form, too...

I think someone else suggested that the Darmanitan and Infernape Crests are intended more for playstyle changes than to amplify their typical approaches. That honestly makes the most sense to me, but since unlike, say, Ledian, they are good already, the effort of switching things up for them is probably more noticeable.

Magcargo in particular, needs a buff. From what I've seen, that poor Mon seems to have been doing badly since it was introduced.

21 hours ago, Outside Indoorsman said:

My thoughts on the Crests, are as follows. Please listen to or ignore my non-professional gamer opinions as you wish.

One of the things about the Crests, I think, is that they are supposed to be not as good (usually) as Z moves, Megas, or dynamaxing.

Mostly because you could slap a Crest onto everybody on your team if you wanted instead of the one each approach, so there's probably got to be a bit of balance (but since it is one-person and the fanbase is smaller, balance isn't as strict).

Most of these are good, (Claydol and Spiritomb might actually need a nerf), but I would say Cherrim and Magcargo both could use a bit more of a buff on their Crests (and maybe Leafeon and Glaceon too, but those two aren't as stiffed in the metagame, I think). Maybe Castform should get a Sandstorm form, too...

I think someone else suggested that the Darmanitan and Infernape Crests are intended more for playstyle changes than to amplify their typical approaches. That honestly makes the most sense to me, but since unlike, say, Ledian, they are good already, the effort of switching things up for them is probably more noticeable.

Magcargo in particular, needs a buff. From what I've seen, that poor Mon seems to have been doing badly since it was introduced.

Both crested and mega pokemon have a pretty wide range in power level. There's some that are still pretty weak for both (Crest Magcargo and Mega Audino). A lot of crests have pretty insane power gains but they are also buffing pokemon who are otherwise terrible, so even something like Ledian is still just a bit too good--its attacking power is insane but its speed tier is still just 85 with very bad physical bulk. On the other hand, around half of the mega evolutions are to pokemon who are already decent, if not great.

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2022 at 12:37 PM, Notisma said:

That's very helpful. Do you plan on adding the new ones, like the Druddigon crest and the Vespiquen crest ?

This guide is actually more up to date (as well as it can be anyway since the last post was in November 2021) but it does have coverage for Druddigon and Vespiquen, in addition to others such as Delcatty, Swalot, and others who have been given crests in V13. There has been no other posts since then however, so hey now you get to possibly do that on your own.

Edited by VMeemes

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 7:07 AM, VMeemes said:

This guide is actually more up to date (as well as it can be anyway since the last post was in November 2021) but it does have coverage for Druddigon and Vespiquen, in addition to others such as Delcatty, Swalot, and others who have been given crests in V13. There has been no other posts since then however, so hey now you get to possibly do that on your own.

Thank you !