[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Walmond

As much as Walmond wanted to step in to Masako and Youmu's discussion on payment (one sided as it was), she resorted to merely put a hand to her temple in annoyance, before turning to UB-65, "Correct, or at least we presume. I highly believe they're related, but they could not be. All we know for sure is the effects" she explained, drifting off in her own thoughts as she thought about Youmu's warning. The ability to invoke death on someone sounded nasty, and she had no reason to believe that Youmu was simply speaking about her friend killing someone the conventional way.

... She may have to rely more on Lambda for the upcoming battle far more than usual.

"Excellent."  Masako cheerfully accepted the coins, shoving them into her coat pocket, before turning and walking off towards another part of the village.  "Now, I need to buy a few things...  I suggest the rest of you get ready.  Most of you will maybe probably die if this doesn't work, so I suggest making peace with that before I get back!"

She paused a moment, then turned.  "Except you."

She grabbed Rory by the shoulders, rising off the ground a little as she used her wings to help drag her along.  "YOU I need to carry something, so you'll have to make your peace with your transient mortality later."

LOTUS sighed and looked at IP. "We have no real control over who shows up and who does not -- whatever outside force is sending us people doesn't always pick them... sensibly. We've had some..." LOTUS paused for rhetorical effect, "interesting teammates, certainly. Still, the worst of them don't tend to last. Sometimes, I'm not frankly sure whether they're being taken back by the same outside force or just... going and getting lost somewhere, but how thoroughly we don't hear from them again I suspect it's the former. I'm not actually certain that's going to happen to Masako, though -- she may be as much of a liability as she is an asset, but that also means she's as much of an asset as she is a liability. I am just going to have to figure out how to reel her in when she's being a liability, and how to harness her when she's being an asset."

Isobel tugged at her collar, frankly rather nervous about the idea of dealing with a ghost that just... straight-up killed you. But she didn't really want to dwell on that and make herself a wreck, so she chose to instead comment on Masako. "I wonder what the hell she's up to. I mean... she definitely seems to have SOME sort of mostly concrete plan this time around... I guess that we should really try to get her to explain to us... from what I've seen of her so far, she's almost certainly going to not tell us and either assume that we just somehow know what she's doing, or enjoy holding us in dramatic pause to show off. But, uh, you know, this is a really bad time for that, so I'm gonna... I guess try to wheedle it out of her."

UB-65 stared blankly at Masako and Rory as they moved to the village. That was-...That was nothing more than extortion

"Well at least that predicament is over with, yet in a somewhat unsavory kind of way. Maybe this can be over and done with quicker than I thought it would be." How'd that old propaganda piece they gave to the frontline troops go? 'Home by Christmas'? She glanced to Youmu, I still want to know if she can truly see him as well, though. That would be the first person other than me to be able to do that...

IP turned back to Youmu, the gynoid's maid headdress shaking a little, as if it didn't fit quite right on her head. This time she asked, "Back to my earlier question... You still have not explained what 'danmaku' is exactly. If it is not a model of firearm, what is it?"

Youmu looked at IP as if the gynoid had grown a second head. "You know, the big bullet duels that everyone does to settle arguments?" She didn't seem particularly invested in explaining, especially as Masako walked off without any explanation. "Well, that was unhelpful. . . Let's go, before something else really bad happens." She began to walk towards the direction the party had originally come from, though she chose a road that seemed less well-maintained. "You guys are sure that once we get that thing away from her, she'll be okay? And that you'll be okay? Yuyuko is really powerful, especially if you're just a regular human." The road wound about, and seemed to draw hazardously close to a few trees that almost seemed upset at the presence of this many people. "Even for the ghost in your group, it won't be safe. She is Princess of the Netherworld, though I guess she doesn't actually do much ruling. . ." She trailed off for a moment as they backtracked through the woods, the air taking on the sinister feeling it'd had when they first arrived. 

IP followed along, turning to the swordswoman, her expression softening this time. "I am not familiar with this region, and I have never seen such a method of conflict resolution. As for our odds of success? Our employer chose us and sent us to this location for several reasons - at least one of which is that we are not just regular humans. If we were not capable of completing this mission, I doubt they would bring us here at all. In addition, at least two artifacts were already retrieved prior to this attempt - and that was before UB-65 -" she gestured to the submarine woman " - and I arrived. We will be able to save your mistress.  That you can be assured of."

Edited by AzyWng

"Well, you could have had a bit more patience."

Fortunately, with the return of the tengu, a potential explanation for the sinister feeling swiftly presented itself.  Masako floated swiftly along after the rest of the team, a single bag dangling from one of her hands.  Behind her trudged what appeared to be a large, wooden box--though presumably the legs walking it along belonged to the Rory, invisible on the opposite side of it.  Despite the blind stumbling of the latter, the former had no trouble whatsoever catching up.

"In any case, I assume you've made your peace with death?"  Masako settled on the ground, fumbling in the bag for something or other as she walked alongside Youmu.  "It may or may not be relevant soon."

Masako blinked at IP, glanced back at Rory and the box, then shook her head.  "Is it not obvious?  I thought it would be perfectly clear to any sensible person.  Although..."

The tengu paused, tapping the corner of her lips in thought.  "Well, I suppose I shouldn't expect you to match me in this regard, even if the pieces are all right in front of you.  Still, the explanation may be lost on you.  Particularly if you don't have any experience thinking outside the box, so to speak."

So she can see him for sure now. She's the first person to ever be able to do that against his own will....Guess it may be time to introduce him to the others soon to quell any possible fears. UB-65 continued walking with the group. She looked to Youmu, "Even if it's as hard as you say it may be, its hard to kill someone who has, for all purposes of the word, already died. Myself and my 'shadow' will be fine."

She turned to Masako, "I would also like to hear more about this plan before whatever is coming, but I'm assuming I will have to wait for that."

LOTUS let out a sigh -- and even in her fairy voice, at this sound there were little crackles of electronic modulation, a remnant of her artificial-intelligence origins, and perhaps now her soul. (It did raise the question: what the hell was going to happen with that after all this?) "Masako, trying to understand just what goes on in your mind is an ever-complicating enigma. But suppose that even for those of us who could catch up to some degree, the details may escape them if you don't bother explaining. And consider that we're dealing with life and death here -- this is no time to be holding out this kind of information. But perhaps you ought to just rely on me to facilitate this plan when it gets into action: that's what I do, after all. But you're just going to have people wandering blindly around if you just leave them totally in the dark. If that comes to pass... are you willing to accept responsibility for the consequences, Masako?"

If LOTUS meant to chasten Masako with her question, it didn't seem to work as intended; for all any of them knew, lacking experience with youkai, the tengu might be incapable of experiencing shame.  But that isn't to say it had no effect at all.  As the fairy finished, the detective's contemplative expression shifted to one of mild annoyance.  Her gaze lowered, focusing on IP, on UB-65, on LOTUS all in turn.  It seemed, for a moment, as if she were about to go on another somewhat-bewildering tirade.

Then she sighed.  Not the sigh of someone who'd finally realized the errors of her ways, though.  More one of an exasperated parent, or, perhaps, of a master dealing with a particularly thickheaded student.

"Very well."  Her eyes turned to Isobel, fixing her with a piercing gaze.  "Isobel, wasn't it?  I imagine you have similar questions, and I suppose questioning means you aren't entirely hopeless, even if your perspective remains unfortunately limited.  So, if you want an explanation--"  She reached down, fishing for something in her bag.  "--hold out your hand."

Isobel grimaced a little as Masako asked her to hold out her hand, with absolutely no indication as to what she would be getting her hand on. It could be something entirely disgusting, for all she knew... but at least in that particular case, she WAS wearing her gloves. She guessed that made her uniquely suited to holding whatever craziness Masako plopped right onto her hand. "I... have been wondering, yes. I am pretty invested in, uh, not dying on the spot." With a shrug, she extended her hand towards Masako.

Masako pulled out what appeared to be a small, watertight container.

She pulled off the lid.

And she promptly dumped a bowl full of udon soup into Isobel's gloved hand.  The broth ran quickly and wetly, running down and dripping from the soggy noodles that still clung like particularly depressing snakes to her fingers, until only the noodles and a few stray scallions remained clutched in the girl's palm.

"There," Masako said cheerfully, tossing the bowl aside.  After a moment more of watching the liquid drip away, and a moment more examining the solid remains, she regarded Isobel once more with an intense stare.  "Now.  I trust you can explain the plan?"

IP stared for several seconds before shaking her head. "While Youmu did mention that Yuyuko had complained of hunger, I seriously doubt that we will be able to -" IP suddenly froze up for a few seconds, before sighing and continuing along the road. "We should get moving. We are losing valuable time. If you wish to execute your plan once we have arrived, I will not interfere."

Walmond

... Though Walmond wished she could figure out what Masako was planning aside from trying to feed Yukari, she couldn't wrap her head around why they needed a box, or what was in it. It was more prep than she had been doing though, so she couldn't entirely complain. She could complain about her attitude unwillingness to explain said, but due to how they were already nearing the confrontation with a "Ruler of the Netherworld", she'd put that off for later. Along with other questions that were brought to her notice by Youmu. For now, Walmond merely brought a hand to her forehead, letting out an exasperated sigh as the group walked on. Perhaps the reason Masako was brought to them in the first place was simply for her unpredictability.

Lambda herself floated alongside her master, sparing a quick glance at Rory and the box they were carrying, before looking away and back to the surroundings, shields already expanding in preparation. She was made for heavy lifting, so it felt odd to her to see someone else doing it, but it left her open to fulfill her primary objective... Which in this situation, was going to be harder than ever. Luckily for her, she wasn't exactly 'alive' either, so she had nothing to worry about when it came to dying. At least, so she believed.

Rory rolls her eyes at the continued confusion. "Really, you still don't get it? It's really simple with some thought... You, the one who works for the deathy chick, you get this right? You work for her so you should be able to think of this plan just as well as Birdy did."

Isobel watched with an increasingly blank expression as Masako tipped over the container onto her glove... a flow of fucking soup soaking her glove and leaving sad little piece of noodle on the top. She blinked, frozen with shock for another moment, feeling the uncomfortable warmth of her wet glove around her hand, and then she turned her head towards Masako. It was then that she provided her answer to Masako's riddle. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" she sputtered at the tengu, seeming to be unable to decide whether her voice should be deadpan or outraged.
"Why?"

LOTUS steadfastly ignored Rory (biting back an insult but saving it for potential further use) and then crossed her arms looking at Masako. "Alright, so you're likely intending to bait her with food, but I have a followup question to that -- once you do, what is the plan exactly? I have to assume it's some sort of trap set up, in order to avoid being seen and killed by her, but I'm going to want to know exactly what the plan is for this trap, and what the plan is once it actually triggers, since that may not be a guarantee that she will be sufficiently prevented from using her abilities, unless you have a particularly clever trap thought up."

Beyond an expression of mild disappointment in the botanist, the tengu didn't react to Isobel's bewildered rage.  All she did was shrug and provide a simple statement.  "Ghosts and soup are roughly the same thing, metaphysically speaking.  Especially in this case.  If your hand can't tell you how, then I see no reason why my explaining it would help you."

"In any case," Masako said, giving LOTUS a glance of acknowledgement before turning to float after their half-soup guide.  "There's no need to keep her from using her abilities; quite the opposite, in fact.  But I am glad you ask, LOTUS.  You have a key part in the plan, after all, due to your unique abilities.  So I suppose I have a question for you, before I decide what that part entails.  How quickly can you move?"