[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Walmond

Alongside IP, Walmond moved over to the man as soon as he fell over, doing a quick one over himself with her magic before standing up, giving a nod to the rest of the group as they hurried to the village. The man seemed to be in shock rather than injured, so it was more efficient for them to stop whoever this 'ghost girl' was before they caused more harm. She partly hoped that the 'ghost' part was merely something made by their panicked state, but considering what she had seen so far of this would, she wouldn't be surprised if they would actually start having to deal with the dead once again.

"Well, you're right to be skeptical."  Masako floated on over and past IP, ignoring the unconscious human.  "The man's claims of a ghost with a sword are clearly absurd.  There's maybe half a ghost around here who'd do that, at the absolute best.  Though, assuming that's true..."

Masako paused, floating to the ground and letting herself settle stably on her oddly-unstable geta.  The tengu rested her cheek against her knuckles, thinking.  "Well, it both is and isn't surprising.  She's definitely the sort to go a little crazy and start chasing people around with a sword, and she's also the sort to get involved in these shady things, but why she would be involved in this one..."

She shook her head.  Coincidence or not, it might be a little problematic.  Assuming they didn't wanna just wait until everyone got tired and gave up, anyway, which the tengu couldn't be bothered to do.

As the party (presumably) moved past the unconscious man - who apparently really had just passed out, as he didn't even have any traces of magic on him for those sensitive to such things - they encountered a few more frightened humans that looked equally afraid of the group, shrinking back into the woods. Or behind buildings, as the village rather abruptly came into view, with archaic houses and huts of a simple construction dominating the architecture. The source of the chaos was quickly apparent, as a white-haired girl in green clothing (that seemed to have the odd dirt stain on it, much like Isobel might accrue after a hard day's work) with some sort of equally white blob following her about was waving a sword around, pointing it at passerby and demanding something mostly incoherent and nonspecific. When the inevitable shriek and/or rapid leap into terrified unconsciousness occurred, she whirled to face her next victim. Which seemed to be Masako. "YOU!" 

With the shout, the ghost(?) girl darted at Masako at blurring speed, going for. . . a fall to her knees. "Please, you have to help me!" she begged. "Tengu run the newspapers, you have to know something about what's going on with my mistress, right?" She noted UB-65 out of the corner of her eye, and abruptly swapped to her. "Or you! You've been to the Netherworld recently, right?" she asked, with a glance at what seemed to everyone else to be at empty air. "Have you seen anyone weird around? With some kind of... weird artifacts or something? Yuyuko is acting all strange, I can't figure out what's wrong with her. I mean, sometimes she messes around but she- she actually attacked me, and I don't know. . ." She popped back up onto her feet, still clearly distraught and trying to compose herself, before her expression abruptly shifted, and she pointed her sword at the submarine instead. "Unless it was you! I haven't seen you there before, so it had to have been you! You appear right after she goes all crazy!" She took up a proper fighting stance. "If you tell me how to fix her, I won't have to cut it out of you, so fess up!"

Empi waves her hands at the newcomer, while not getting between her and the submarine. There was being helpful and there was being stupid, and Empi would rather not get between a sword and someone else. Insurance covered getting stabbed at work, but she wasn't exactly counting on fairy healthcare out here.
"Hey! Whoa! Put the sword away, lady. We're all friends here, Casper the anime ghost, and she's one of us! We're here to fix....whatever those artifacts are! Hold the impromptu Jack Bauer impression for a minute and tell us what happened to your mistress lady first. Can't fix your problem if we don't know what it is, right? Did she pick up some weird.....thing that definitely doesn't look like it's from around here and start acting weird?"

Walmond

Upon seeing the \ghost girl' in question, Walmond could admit that she wasn't too surprised. She was relieved when she didn't see the girl actively attacking anyone, just waving a sword around and angrily making demands at anyone she happens to see. Chaotic and inefficient, but considering what the girl was going through (as Walmond would learn in the next few moments), understandable.  At least they had a lead on the next actual problem. Hopefully the girl would at least calm down once she realized that they could help, rather than continue to wave that sword around.

"It may also be good for us to know where your mistress is, so we can fix said problem. Sooner is better than later, correct?" Walmond commented shortly after Empi, taking a glance at the white blob that was trailing behind the girl. It was obvious to her that it wasn't just a familiar. But what was it then? A condensed ball of magic? Walmond couldn't know, but it caught her attention regardless.

IP did, however, choose to move between the swordwoman and UB-65, pulling out and raising her shield as she did so. Though she didn't aim it at The swordwoman just yet, IP also drew her pistol, entering into a stance ready to block any attack directed at UB-65. Her mouth - which had at first been slightly agape in confusion - drew closed into a thin line.

"Lower your weapon immediately. If you attempt to harm my colleagues, I will respond with lethal force." The words had the stillness of a firing squad about to be given the final command. "Once you have complied... then we can discuss how to help your mistress."

Edited by AzyWng
Accounted for the fact IP doesn’t know the swordwoman’s name yet.

UB-65 peeked around IP with a confused look on her face, "I honestly have no clue what you are talking about right now, miss."

She kept one of her arms behind her back, resting easily in the small of her back and her hand twitching ever so slightly.

Masako promptly gave IP a good, hard bonk on the back of the head with her kiseru.  Best thing to do, before she ended up starting a fight.  And a bad one, for that matter, if her threat to ignore the spellcard rules was any indication.  

"Ignore her."  Masako floated forward a little, then leaned upon the air as she examined the half-phantom gardener.  Unlike most of the others, she didn't seem overly concerned about the girl waving her sword all over the place; she was more than content carefully brushing the tip aside with her pipe before plopping it back in her mouth.  If anything, she was more concerned with examining her--with a brief glance, following Youmu's eyes, at the empty air behind her--before she gave a little nod and settled back to the ground.  "I believe I can say, with some confidence, that no one here is the culprit; they are far too clueless for that."

"Still!  You are extremely fortunate that it was me you asked.  After all-" The tengu reached into her suit, producing one of her business cards (MOST SPIRITED DETECTIVE IN GENSOKYO) and handing it to the no-doubt-increasingly-confused half-phantom.  "-as Gensokyo's finest detective, there is no one more capable of helping you.  Particularly given its probable connection to my current case.  Although..."

Masako continued to nibble on her pipe.  "...It's weird that the gap hag didn't mention anything.  Her and Saigyouji are pretty close, aren't they?  So, if she's going crazy..."

The tengu paused, then removed the pipe, using it to give Youmu a good poke on the nose.  "Judging from your clothes, you were in the garden just before you were attacked.  Explain everything leading up to that."

IP didn't even flinch when Masako struck her. She also didn't listen, if the words she said were any indication.

"This woman has threatened us with a sword. I shouldn't have to explain the severity of that threat." She did, however, allow Masako to approach the distressed swordswoman and give her the business card, though she tensed up when the 'detective' poked the woman on the nose.

Rory sighs before shrugging at IP. "Unfortunately she's a local so she probably knows what she's talking about. Besides, it's just a sword. Anyone should be able to take a... oh wait. Never mind, I suppose caution is to be expected of you lot." Rory tilts her head to the side with a small shrug. Worst comes to worse though, the faunus figured they'd just get the attention of the white haired girl on account of being able to actually take a couple hits and keep going.

UB-65 took a step back from the group in front of her, trying to put some distance between herself and the explosively excited ghost girl. She sighed and glanced to her side, away from the group and whispered to the air next to her, "Don't do anything yet if you don't have to." 

She turned her attention back to the group in front of her and crossed her arms over her chest. If she does attack we have the numbers to take her on. But what about that glance from earlier...Could she have seen or sensed something? This place really is strange from Germany.

Youmu continued to aim her sword at the group, especially after IP pointed a gun at her, but she calmed herself enough to reply after another tense moment or three. "Well, I had just finished cooking for Yuyuko and I was getting out to tend the plants, of course, and as I bent over there was this weird magical. . . rock, or something. It wasn't there when I was in the garden earlier today, so I went to pick it up, but Yuyuko suddenly showed up and said something about wanting to see it, so I let her. And then a little while after that, she said something about being hungry, which isn't really that unusual, but it was all off, and then she- she-" Youmu cleared her throat, clearly distressed. "She attacked me, and I had to run away. I don't know if her ability would work on me, but she seemed like she really wanted to kill me, and I. . . You have to help me get her back to normal!"

Rory shrugs, having not been incredibly worried about if the weird sword girl actually attacked or not. "Okay. That's kind of why we came down here anyway. Thought you were the one that needed put back to normal." He did have to wonder why it was mostly kids that were about academy age running around doing stuff like this. Maybe it was like a disease or something.

After listening to Youmu's explanation, IP lowered her shield and holstered her weapon, though her expression remained the same. "Please do not threaten my colleagues again." After a brief pause, she then asked, "Where is Yuyuko, and what weapons and tactics does she prefer to use? From what you've told us, diplomacy may not be an option."

LOTUS finally took this opportunity to speak up., the fairy crossing her arms as she sat in Isobel's pocket (for her part, the botanist elected to stay silent for now, figuring LOTUS had it handled... although she did note the oddity of somebody being both a gardener and some sort of swordswoman). And when she spoke it was with a shake of her head. "We're being given more than enough information to know exactly what is going on here -- there's no need to preamble it forever and run around in circles when we can just communicate the situation and get straight to it... especially since we are now, evidently, pointing weapons at each other. It's unnecessary." The fairy sighed, and then spoke. "We do indeed know what's probably going on with your," upon brief consideration, "friend, and it's almost certainly what we've already been investigating."

"The gist of the situation is this -- there are artifacts, as you mentioned, that exert a corruptive influence on those that come into contact with them, twisting their behavior into undiscriminatory hostility and seeming to completely destroy their capacity for judgement... these artifacts are likely related to an outside threat that we arrived here in order to combat. We do not know exactly how they got here, and we are still working on investigating that and getting to the root cause, but this does mean that we know what to expect. The bad news is that, yes, as long as the artifact is affecting her, she will be trying to kill you and, should we come to help, us, though we've been capable of holding our own thus far. The good news is that this only is the case so long as she is in contact with the artifact -- removing them from the possession of the people the artifacts have been affecting has caused this effect to cease entirely."

Isobel watched Youmu intently as LOTUS spoke... she wasn't entirely sure how to interpret the relationship between this girl and the "Yuyuko" she was referring to, but at the very least this girl was extremely close to the other. Whether or not that actually meant girlfriend close... well, Isobel supposed that while she knew what she wanted to see, that wasn't really ultimately the point, either. In whatever way these two were close... "I want to make something clear to you, okay? One other person we saw affected by this attacked somebody she is very, very loyal to, and once that artifact was removed from her, she expressed nothing but regret over it and seemed to hold no less loyalty to this person. Don't worry that this is... some sort of effect that amplifies violent desires that already exist, or something like that -- these artifacts make people attack even their dearest loved ones, and it's not through any fault of their own or any desire of their own. Once we get the artifact off of Yuyuko, she's going to be okay, alright? You'll be okay." Now, to get this other girl on track to hopefully give her something to move onto. "Would you mind telling us your name? We want to work with you, because we're here to help deal with this anyway, but that will be a little difficult if we don't have anything to call you."

"My name?" The girl almost seemed surprised; the white blob following her around even formed a bit of a question mark shape for a moment. "O-Oh, it's Konpaku Youmu. You're sure that she'll be okay? Yuyuko's going to go back to normal?" She stopped herself again, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I'm just. . . I've been working for her for so long, and we've been through so much together." She inhaled again. "She, um. . . She fights using danmaku like everyone else, but she has the ability to invoke death in humans." She glanced over the very-obviously-humans and near-humans in the group. "So you ten should all be careful. I don't think it'll bother the two of you from the Netherworld," she gestured at UB-65 and very distinctly at the seemingly empty air beside her, "or you," she pointed at LOTUS, "but I can't say that everyone else is safe."

"In other words," Masako muttered, "we'll need a careful and cunning plan if we are to succeed, especially if we can't be sure Saigyouji will adhere to the spellcard rules.  Even with me here, it might not be easy.  Fortunately, I do have a plan, but..."

The tengu examined the half-phantom gardener.  When she spoke, her voice was oddly solemn.  "Youmu-san.  If we are to have a hope of succeeding here, there is something I need from you.  Are you willing to do whatever it takes to save your mistress?"

"Danmaku? I am... not entirely certain what those are. Does Yuyuko have access to a heavy machine gun? A vehicle equipped with a cannon?" IP seemed to have calmed down now, and just looked confused. "As for the ability to invoke death... Are there any specific precautions we could take to resist this power?"

UB-65 grimaced slightly, So she can see him after all.

She made her way slowly back over the the group, carefully to keep her eye on Youmu in case she decided to point that sword at her again. "So, I'm guessing this is what you all informed me was the work of the Trespassers things we are going after, right?"

She pulled her notebook out of her breast pocket and added a quick note to the details she had taken earlier about the mission and jotted down a few quick notes about Youmu. After checking to see if she missed anything, she replaced the notebook into her breast pocket and crossed her arms across her chest.

"I'm entirely serious."  Masako continued to hold out her hand, expression unchanged.  It really looked like she was.  "I have a plan, and I need the money if I'm to save your mistress.  Without getting these humans killed, anyway.  Though, if you're unwilling to help her, I suppose I can find a way to manage without."