Fire Emblem On Forums: Mortal Transgressions (IC)

RedMageCole

4PkG2cx.png

"Whatdya want me to do, bring it all out here!?"

IP2MjJc.png

“Yeah!"

4PkG2cx.png

"I didn't ask you! You're the one messin' everythin' up, you freakin' weirdo!"

IP2MjJc.png

“Yeah!"

4PkG2cx.png

"Ugh— dammit!"

Ethaniel snaps his fingers, getting his guards to get to rummaging in the back of the wagon. To speed things up, he joined them. With the three gone for a moment, Famine kicks his legs up and begins floating in midair, twirling himself upside down and looking at Lysander with an... oddly serious look.

IP2MjJc.png

“So, I know you got some personal dealings with the Daxter family, but ya gonna tell me how ya know Herman Daxter personally enough to impersonate him? Gotta say, even with that guy's kinda dumbness you still kiiinda look the part and certainly got the right attitude. But I gotta be honest! I know nothing about who you guys personally are! And do I wanna know who you guys personally are? Nah. I'm not like Death where I wanna hunt down your families just for existing. But call it a curiosity..."

Lysander.png

"Choke on your tongue and die, I trust you as far as I can toss you." Lysander broke character as soon as they were alone. "I don't get what game you are playing this time, but I'm sick and tired of it. The only reason I haven't sliced you in half is because of the mission."

Famine let out a low 'ooooooh' at Lysander's first sentence.

IP2MjJc.png

“Dang, that was a really good Herman Daxter impression, did you work on that all night?" Though his mouth was covered, it wasn't hard to tell that his smile was there. However, it was a bit more malicious. “Careful though about whatcha say, the operation is in danger! All I gotta do is go ask the real Herman Daxter to stand up and he'll come running and blow it all sky-high! Why not enjoy my charity a little- yes, hello!"

Ethaniel came out, grunting and groaning with his bodyguards— they're all carrying the load, all in boxes and all accounted for.

4PkG2cx.png

"Th... There. That should be all of it. Can we get payment now?"

Herman wiggled his eyebrows curiously at the group.

Lenore, for her part, keeps ignoring Famine. Her patience was tried, but this was her territory, and for all Lenore was a terrible fighter, she had nerves of steel when it came to a situation like this.

And, of course, she was hoping Kane knew what the hell he was doing. Granted, she'd been having increasingly less faith in him to do so as of late, but she was hoping he wouldn't let her down this time.

eleanor-mug.png

"Open one of the boxes and show us. Feel free to stand over there and do that if you want, but Herman and I wanna see what we're paying for. The last morons who tried to swindle us....well, you know how Herman is, so I don't have to elaborate."

Sitting in the bushes, Lizaveta had been growing somewhat antsy as the whole mess started to get complicated and drag on with the appearance of Famine of all people.

lizavetaneutral.png

"An Icon of Sin...? This can't be a coincidence, can it? First a drug trade, and then something with them involved...? And if he's working for the King of Perus... they have to be keeping this route open intentionally. It would...

The gears turned in her head for a moment and then her expression darkened behind her mask.

"It would explain why they come down on unsanctioned traders like they do... they want to make sure they know EXACTLY what's coming in and out, and in this case they find the trade here, drugs or poison, useful, so they want to keep it from being interfered with.

Ethaniel's eye twitches slightly. Famine makes a small, muffled chuckle at the same time, and the bodyguards awkwardly looked at each other.

4PkG2cx.png

"Now look here, I ain't your slave drivin' monkey, I'm the vendor and damned trusted by Herman! You can open a damn box yourself if ya want— who do ya think you are, first day on the job and bossin' me around!? I ain't ever seen you helpin' Herman out before and I am not about to let you mosey in and question my new operation! Come on, Herman," Ethaniel said with an exhausted finger jab at Lysander. "I always respected your business back when I was just one of Diezel's delivery boys and you're sure as hell our top buyer, but I got a new gig goin'! So if you're gonna be whipped over here and let this lady walk all over me, you're wrong! I'll just go back with the excess and be done and your little alchemy gig is up! You won't find any other dealers of Asthéneiatoxin other than myself! I'm the boss, ya hear!? Me!"

In the bushes, Kane responded quietly to Lizaveta, growing a bit weary as he tried to shift around and try to look at different angles.

UWNaAxC.png

"No... I doubt that it's a coincidence. Something's going on with Perus if this kind of thing manages to be endorsed by the King— I highly doubt Famine is here because he just wanted to mess with us... I'm not finding any openings right now, the cargo's out in the open and everything— but if they can just get their hands on the drugs somehow... Ethaniel's looking impatient, though. I hope they know what they're doing... though I shouldn't be doubtful, I trust them. I just get antsy not being able to do anything, damn Famine..."

XT3ACY9.png

Meanwhile, while everyone had been distracted by Famine's show Baldur had slipped away from the the second group. Moving away from the cart and closer to Famine, while still remaining behind all the foliage. Even going so far to taking a detour deeper into the underbrush as to reduced the chances of being noticed from the drug dealers and Famine. He kept back behind the poison maker to cut off his retreat backward whilst still hiding behind trees.  "I'm not letting you get away YOU FUCK!"

Lysander.png
"You'll damn well do what I say, and what my associate here says. And do you want to know why?" Lysander paused, letting the silence ring for a while. "I keep all my business partners under leash you see. Surely you must have some suspicion of what we use the Asthéneiatoxin for. My sources say that you enjoy the occasional drink am I not wrong? Tell me, do you keep an eye on your glass at all times? Do you trust every single man with whom you drink? Would you trust all of them with a sword while you sleep?" He let a short evil smirk show on his face. "Running through your system is a very slow acting, but very, very lethal poison. The same man in your ranks that poisoned you has been instructed to supply you with the antidote at dosages that will keep you hale and hearty. But should I tell him not too, or should something happen to me or any of my associates? Well that man will disappear into the night, never to be seen again. This is how I do business, now my cards are laid out on the table. You were never the boss, just a pawn. And you best apologize if you know what's good for you."

Ethaniel looked heavily intimidated by this gesture— starting to sweat bullets as he looks at his bodyguards who quickly slip him denying looks.

4PkG2cx.png

"Wh-... What the hell is this...!? Y-You can't be serious! All this crap over just a stupid box— c-come on! I've been doin' this for you forever, h-how could you do this to me, man!?"

IP2MjJc.png

“But that's just who he is, silly Ethaniel! Evil, evil Herman Daxter! You can't trust him for even a second."

4PkG2cx.png

"Sh-Shut up! R-Rgh... D-Damn it... a-alright, fine, I'll get the boxes...!"

Ethaniel hobbled to the boxes, starting to meekly open them up. Famine continued to silently watch, unknowing of what was going on behind him...

R4GYqAt.png

"Alright. We're gonna need to make a move here— while the guy's intimidated, we can potentially make a move to swipe some things. Orchid, you'll-"

UWNaAxC.png

"...Damn it... damn it, Orchid, I said no! Shit— Scarlet, cover me!" Kane slipped into the bushes, trying to find Baldur before it was too late...

Lenore simply, calmly, pulls out her Silencer and begins filing her nails with it, while giving Ethaniel a look, as if she's eyeing how Silencer would look, slashed across his throat, and as if doing so would be an act as easy as breathing.

eleanor-mug.png

"Disrespect myself or my boss like that again, and we won't need the poison."
Lenore simply waits for him to unlock the boxes, her position clear. After all, the bodyguard of a man like Herman, as far as she'd picked up his character, wouldn't let an insult like that go unavenged. Especially a female one.

Justine had to stop herself from sighing. This whole thing had spun away from her almost as soon as it had started. Nary a chance to win over the enemy without him fighting with a charming look or a tall tale - no, they had to go for intimidation immediately. And then there was Famine; the game he was playing was surely nothing good for them, but what could it possibly be? She watched him out of the corner of her eye, keeping an eye on the dealer's men as well. She smelled more than one deception here; the question was who, what, and why? Sadly, she had never been much one for mysteries. . . but she could play in one, if it were absolutely necessary.

The only outward sign the wandering performer gave of her inner thoughts was the light drumming of her fingers on the hilt of Joyeuse.

Ethaniel got the gesture from Lenore, and was more than willing to get the boxes open and start unloading the goods. Famine yawned as he watched idly, though it didn't seem he had any sort of bored expression.

Eventually, most of it got unloaded. A few boxes remained unopened.

4PkG2cx.png

"There... There. Everything's here, alright? The rest is just stuff for minor deals and I can't really show that off to other customers, but you can find everything you ordered here. Can I get my money now...?"

XT3ACY9.png

Meanwhile, inside the mind of our boy Baldur:

"Ugh! That smug bastard! I can't stand just waiting around like this!"

"Can't you take a moment to look at yourself! You just went against Kane's orders! Why didn't you just stay put? You're putting the whole mission in jeopardy!"

"I... but..."

"It is not to late to go back ya know. Come on, everyone is probably worried."

"Don't listen to her! Why should you just let this man walk away huh? Isn't it his fault that she's dead? I mean he did make that poison right? Is it really fair that he is allowed to draw breath while she is dead in the dirt?"

"The other one is has a point though, Kane did say-"

"Think about it. The folks up there don't have the money for the man, nor should they pay him. Their cover will be blown one way or another. But look and Famine, he's so intent on watching he won't notice you coming up. If you can capture him thats another person to question and Kane surely would be happy about that! Even better, if you kill him that's one less sin to worry about in the future."
"No! Stop! Don't do it!"
"You know what? You're right! All I need to do is kill Famine and then everyone in House Daxter and justice will be served! Yea! They'll never be able to cause problems again!"

Then as soon as Famine seemed the most distracted by the turn of events the butler leaps out from the bushes. Saying nothing during his charge and weapon drawn he locks sight onto the Icon of Sin's throat and never deters. He no longer cares about this small mission. The only thing on his mind is to make sure that justice is served.

It was too late for Kane, just as he saw Baldur jump out— He had to begin to hurry up back to the rest of the group.

UWNaAxC.png

"I cannot believe this— everyone remain on standby, don't jump until I say...!"

As Kane got to the group, Famine was completely unaware of the fate that was coming right up behind him. Ethaniel was too distracted by how annoyed he was to point it out, and Baldur's intention was much too swift to allow for someone to stop him.

Famine finally noticed just as Baldur drove the knife into his neck— with a gasp, his normally goofy face turning into one of genuine shock, hurriedly ducked to the ground. An audible rip echoed throughout the field as the knife tore through the fabric of Famine's bandana, unraveling it with one accidental swipe. Famine drew a tome, hoarsely laughing a little before coughing up a little bit of blood.

eX0OmIR.png

"Famine...!" Lucy whispered, despite the man's crimes she sounded genuinely concerned for him as she clutched her hands together and prayed that he would be okay...

PDXHrpm.png

"Clever, clever... Yes, it's true, I'm a very smart individual, but even I can fall prey to the ever-so-stealthy back attack. Don'tcha mind me, I'll take care of this stray bandit, I got a Luna tome with his name—"

Ethaniel's normal-volume stuttering interrupted the hoarse Famine... His gaze jumped around. It mainly landed on Lysander, but also to the recently unmasked Famine, his face angered and very pale at the same time.

4PkG2cx.png

"H-H-Wh-Huh-What the fuck- what the fuck!? Herman!? Herman!?"

Famine was silent, before laughing a little bit... however, this time, his normally joyful laughter was clearly faked.

PDXHrpm.png

“Heheh. Haha. Funny joke. Why are you thinking I'm Herman? I look nothing like the guy, dude."

4PkG2cx.png

"N-No! Now that I think about it, y-you are Herman! Y-You just messed up your hair a ton and made your tone sound different and such! Wh-Who the hell is that!?" He frantically looked at Lysander with rage in his face. "You think I'm a fool, huh!? Why, why I- Why I oughta-"

Before he could continue his threat, yet another voice cut him off.

iUJYytL.png

“So close. So very, very close."

His voice was devoid of the emotion that marked Famine. Now that the shell of the Black Rider had melted away, only a man who held no remorse remained. 

"Well? Did you get your revenge? Are you happy about it? Did it bring your pathetic life any sort of meaning, being able to push a sad little blade inside of me?... Does it even matter considering I don't even know who you are? I'm on so many hitlists, I really can't keep track of all of these people."

4PkG2cx.png

"Herman! C'mon, let's- Grk—!"

Herman had whipped out a dark tome, idly twisting his wrist in the direction of Ethaniel as Ethaniel clutched for his throat in a panic. Herman did not even bother to look at the man.

iUJYytL.png

“For his paper thin disguise, he got one thing correct. Honestly, it's not a bad idea, I really should have done that slow lethal poison bullshit to you a long time ago with how much you try my patience. If I turn my head in ten seconds and you are there, I swear on the Lion that I will crush your neck and end your life right now, do I make myself clear?"

Without another word but a panicked yelp, Ethaniel ran off, ditching the cart. His bodyguards followed suit. As they did, Kane signaled for the rest of Virtuous to come out of hiding. He leapt out of the bushes, knife drawn on Herman.

iUJYytL.png

“Honestly. Did you order that, Phoenix? Sneak attack, ambush? Nah. Even with his mask on I can tell there's nothing but contempt for me in his eyes. Besides, you're too incompetent of a leader to actually do such orders, aren't you?"

7VQmZWw.png

Kane said nothing, though there was a growl of frustration. If he had anything to say, it was stopped by Lucy running out of the bushes.

eX0OmIR.png

"F-Famine... Famine...! Y-You can't truly be... You can't be—"

PDXHrpm.png

“Oh, hey, Pesty, you actually look way better with these guys. Man, I gotta say though, I miss your cooking. War burns like, everything. Ah well. Don't take things too personally, okay?"

iUJYytL.png

“Now then. Any last tricks that you all wish to attempt before I go do something that actually takes effort, like folding my laundry?"

XT3ACY9.png

So, he was just another name on the list huh? Dammit! He was so close! If he was just a bit faster! Baldur growls through the veil of his mask.  "Revenge? Ha! This is not just for that. No, this is justice coming from all those who you made suffer. Not only through your actions, but also the consequences of them!" The butler proclaims revving up the Tenderizer. He'll never just let him walk away. He then going back in with another attack, this time aiming straight for the chest to cause the most damage.

An audible pop sound could be heard as Herman vanished into a mass of black dust, scattering to the ground and fading into the ground just as Baldur would have connected. Herman then proceeded to resurface, his back to the woods as he faced all of you.

iUJYytL.png

“Well, it may have worked. You know, if we weren't in a wide-open space with plenty of escape opportunity. But please, keep prattling on about justice when both your teammates and I know you're just trying to pat yourself on the ass."

Lysander.png
A range of emotions ran through Lysander's mind, first confusion at everything, second anger at Baldur for ruining their plan, and third anger at himself. How could he be so slow, and not put two and two together. Of course Famine was Herman. Did he really not recognise Lysander? Was his identity actually safe, or was it all an act. His work with the Virtuous couldn't continue if his family was in danger. 

He drew the thoughts away from the forefront of his mind they could be dealt with later. Now he focused on Famine, or well. Herman Daxter. "Even if you run, we'll corner you soon enough. I swear on it."

XT3ACY9.png

Baldur growls even louder through his mask,  "SHUT UP! You don't even know the hell you put her through and ramifications it had!" Turning right back at Herman he charged towards him once more like a bull, weapon still ready to strike. "I swear I will hunt you down until justice is served!"

iUJYytL.png

“...Heh... Heheh."

Herman's cold eyes stared at Lysander, completely ignoring Baldur's onslaught as if he weren't even there. As if the two sides— Famine and Herman, had merged... His face that once was devoid of emotion twisted into a taunting, if not bored, smirk.

pHx6Jvj.png

“Good luck."

A pause as he allowed Baldur to charge, before he vanished into another puff of black smoke a split second before Baldur could take a stab at him...

...He did not reappear.

eX0OmIR.png

"F-Famine... H-He... Th-That can't be him... H-He was..."

UWNaAxC.png

"Regardless of who he was, he is now your enemy, Pestilence. Just as he is all of our enemies. He may be taunting us now, but he does not know the extent of our tenacity... We will take him by storm. He will be cornered, no matter how much he runs... I know that sometimes,  do a poor job at keeping my promises... but this one I can wholeheartedly promise. He will be brought to justice."

Lysander.png
After Famine disappeared, Lysander waited a while to see if he returned. After he was confident he wouldn't return he relaxed his stance. He finally turned around to face Baldur. "Tell me Orchid, were you born this stupid or is it an act you put on? Because this was a great clown's act you put on. Famine, the Icon of Sin who has poisoned half of Perus and who knows what else. Do you truly think a man like that could be taken in by such a ridiculous tactic like that? You could have coordinated an attack with everyone, but instead you rush in like a reckless fool. And what of Mink and I? If he had turned his guards on us instead of killing them what then? Can you think about these things next time before ruining everything?" Lysander brought a hand up to his forehead and took a deep breath. "For the future Phoenix, please never put me in a unit with Orchid. I've come to trust everyone in the Virtuous, I'd trust any of them to watch my back. But not him."

XT3ACY9.png

Baldur stomped his foot into the ground after Herman presumably run away for the last time. Dammit! He was so close with that first strike! However, after Lysander had just poked the hornet's nest at probably the worst time the boy turned around and even with his mask on his body language did not hide his immense rage and frustration.  "Oh? I need to coordinate now huh? That's very funny Mr. Herman Daxter. It was just as reckless to impersonate the man and if that guard was just a bit competent the entire operation would've been over right then. So what? Is only your recklessness okay? I suppose you were also going to toss all that money you don't have on you to pay for all his goods. So go on, what exactly was your coordinated plan with Mink at that point?" Then it was after Lysander's last statement towards Kane that Baldur seemed to almost lose vigor in the way he was standing,  "FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS IT! You don't want me here and you don't trust me. Not that I mind the last part since I've told you not to rely on me before. I'm just glad someone came out and said it. Not like I had a feeling about that for the longest time. So anyone else have their peace to say? Please, I'm all ears." He raised his hands up, stepping in and leaning in towards everyone, challenging them to just go ahead and say whats on their minds.

Lysander.png

"Those aren't even close to comparable examples. I saw a chance to exploit a dimwitted guard, to put on an act of someone I am deeply familiar with. And it was working. It was Famine who disrupted the whole plan. Mink and I were getting them to take all of their merchandise out in the open, for Phoenix and all of you to swoop in, take as much as we could and make a run for it in the chaos. Potentially we could burn anything we can't take. Meanwhile you flew into a rage and made us lose all control of the situation. So please, go on about my recklessness when you're the man who let emotions get the best of him." 

eleanor-mug.png

"Enough!"
Lenore actually raises her voice, visibly irritated. She'd had it about to here with these shenanigans.
qKHG8Xo.png
"Orchid, Marvel's got a point. It was risky, yes, but we have to take risks in this. We're not going to get any further by waiting and waiting for the right opportunity. We had to make an opportunity or miss one.  And if we didn't trust you, Phoenix or the others to have our backs, we would've turned tail and run the moment they showed up.  Marvel, don't. We're not lone wolves anymore. You have to work with the tools you're given. The same as the rest of us. If neither of you can work with that....no. That's not my place."
nvOnQeX.png
"Phoenix, what's our next move?"

It was clear that visible frustration was forming on Kane's face. For once, it looked as if he was trying to hold himself back from actually somewhat snapping, but Lenore's interruption was enough to give him some time to take a deep breath and speak.

UWNaAxC.png

"Alright. Firstly, I won't deny that we did uncover something very valuable— knowing Famine's true identity as Herman Daxter gives us not only a tie to the royal family, but also some leverage if we need it. However, that also raises some more questions— namely..." Kane gestured to the boxes, now sitting out in the open. "Why, why was he so willing to let us get away with interrupting his shipment, and even threaten his own supplier when that could have been an easy source of defense? It doesn't add up to any sort of reasonable assumption in my mind..." Kane pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing. "We'll keep an eye out for more clues. Second, we'll do just as we did last time— don't burn everything, that might release chemicals into the air. We'll get to dumping and burying it, hopefully that shouldn't take us much longer than an hour. Thirdly..." His stern expression turned to Lysander and Baldur. "Marvel, I unfortunately cannot guarantee that request, though I understand your frustration— Orchid, again, you did uncover something quite valuable for us, but the way you went around it was completely foolish. You may have wounded him, but Famine as we've seen is not the type to go down in one stab— you have to kill him in one shot or he'll toy with you. You could have been killed... and I don't want to hear anything about how you would have been fine with it if it killed him. Your life is worth more than that... I'm disappointed in you. I can't in good conscience issue punishment even if you did disobey direct orders, but know that the next time you try something like that, you may not be stabbing someone nearly as valuable or as forgiving."