Trespassers V2: Tales of the Masks [IC]

DragonRage

Cell carves Bazelgeuse's tail, and obtains 3 Explosive Scales, which deal 6d6+15 damage to a single target enemy.  He also gets the Bazelgeuse Tail, a high quality crafting reagent with explosive properties.

You wake up in the morning, and find that it's a very short walk to the location of the Air Stone, underneath a very tall tree that towers over the rest of the jungle nearby.  There are definite signs that the Nui-Rama were here, claw and stinger markings, and a few dead Rahi beasts, drained of their vital fluids.  And alongside the stone, you find a silver mask.

Spoiler

Kanohi Kakama, the mask of speed.

This compact, silvery, metal mask’s jagged eye holes and prominent air scoops evoke lightning bolts and ramjets.  When worn, the mask color-coordinates with the wearer’s outfit.  Wearing the mask lets you move really, really fast, but doesn’t boost your reflexes to the same degree as your speed.

Increases your initiative by 2 each round.  The wearer takes 10% more damage from counterattacks.  Incompatible with other masks.

"All right!  That's three stones!" Nuparu celebrates, "We're halfway there!  We still need the water, fire, and ice stones.  Well, the water and ice stones, since the fire stone is in the safest place it could be right now.  Ta-koro's defenses have never fallen, after all.  So would you rather freeze to death or drown?"

"The water isn't that bad," Hahli scoffs, "It's just a bit... deep."

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone present could tell Cicivexa's mind was deep in planning. Anyone who had spent over a day with him could tell this meant nothing good.

"I recall that we saved the water stone for last, the last we discussed the possibility of going there. To elucidate our past discussions for those who had yet to join us: We are in possession of one "Mask of Water Breathing," the Kanohi Kaukau. In addition, "Cell's" ability to detach his head seems to betray that he does not need to breathe to survive. The same could possibly be said of the golem. As for those who have since joined us, I couldn't say. As it stood the last we discussed this, traveling to its location would require our group to split up. I suggested that we take advantage of this to get more done quicker, but it was determined we would be more successful as a group unit. We elected to save the Water Stone for later, with the possibility that we could acquire further resources to allow more of us to delve there,"

"As for the Ice Stone, fire-aspected aether should allow us an advantage against the snowstorm, but for several different reasons, I sincerely doubt that this island has the corrupted crystals for a continuous supply. Further unfortunately, our fellow ally with fire-based equipment is... no longer with us. The spells I have mastered thus far are oriented towards short bursts, as opposed to steady and safe supply, but... perhaps I could figure something out."

"Does anyone else have a solution as to the Ice Stone? And do any of our new allies (and Sanada) have any equipment and/or abilities suited to deep-sea excursions?"

Travis fixes Nuparu with a look after the declaration of Ta-koro's defenses having never fallen. "You uh... do have a back up plan right? You aren't depending on the idea that something that's never had it's defenses fall before not falling without some other plan like, a runner to get the stone out, right?"

Tsubasa largely hadn't been paying attention to Cicivexa's planning (likely to his benefit,) instead doing something a short distance away. It wasn't exactly clear what, but it resulted in a small explosion followed by a shriek from the swordsman.

19 v 19 success!
Praise RNGesus:  ...7/100

Tsubasa sprouts heavy, dark, explosive scales from her head among the rest of her hair!  Once per encounter, if Tsubasa would be prevented from acting by a hostile effect, she may scatter explosive scales as she reacts to the effect, dealing 2d6 + strength damage to whatever enemy applied that effect and the two enemies closest to them in the initiative order.  If fewer enemies than that are present, the extra scales go to waste.

"What the hell is this? Why are these here!?" She prodded at the scales frantically, trying to get them to go away without actually setting them off. 

"With the proper materials and time, there'd be plenty of industrial methods of keeping things warm that I could work on. But on a time crunch like this. . . most important thing is probably a coat. Do your people ever use coats?" Edmond addressed Nuparu.

He gave a quick glance over towards the swordswoman. Was he supposed to do something, as the repair guy? "You hurt?"

"I... No, not really, but I have scales on my head. People aren't supposed to have scales." She looked considerably distressed by this development. "I was just thinking about how useful blowing up when someone attacks you is and then this happened."

Cicivexa was attempting to figure out how he could store and preserve a large enough supply of fire aether when he heard the explosion. He recoiled instinctively at the noise, before hearing Sanada's panicking. Approaching fearfully, he saw her altered scalp.

"You grew part of that monster's biology from thinking about it?! And this is not a normal occurrence for you?" Cicivexa's immense and assuredly impressive intellectual energy was now directed away from the matter of the frigid mountains, and towards this bizarre occurrence.  "I have two theories on the matter. The first, and more troubling, is that this Trespassing beast cursed you somehow, causing this change in form. This would likely imply that most or all of us have also been cursed in the same way, but have somehow had no symptoms thusfar."

"The second theory, perhaps more likely, is that in your encounter with the Makuta, he placed this curse on you, likely through the mask you said he gave you. This would explain why he attempted to make the appearance of helping you; he once made a similar offer to one of our own, and it has significantly increased the general threat in our mission. Was there anything else he said about this mask?"

"I've also got something to say. You're also not usually a biomechanical entity. Usually you have flesh and blood, skin and bone. I will not claim that Cicivexa is wrong, for I'm but a novice when it comes to magic. However, it would do well to consider that it may be an effect of this world, or a neutral or good thing, and that it may be removable by others later if you so wish." It was concerning though.

"There was an explosion, can you control when it happens?"

"He didn't say anything about it." Her hand twitched towards her sword instinctively. She didn't feel any urge to eat human flesh, but yet. . . "I've never heard of a curse like that, but that was back home. So I'm probably not turning into a demon." This last wasn't aimed at anyone in particular; Tsubasa was almost assuredly comforting herself. "I haven't tried to control it." She poked at the scales lightly. "Maybe stand back a bit." Tsubasa herself put some distance between herself and the pair, then concentrated for a moment. A small flurry of scales turned orange before dropping off of her head and exploding. The Demon Slayer jumped just a bit too far in dodging them, before glancing back towards Edmond. "Yes."

"We have been here long enough, and there are enough of us, that I would thinl something like this would have happened by now if it is an effect of this world alone. As for if it is the mask's effect..." Cicivexa reached into his pack.

"This is the mask that I obtained when I arrived in this world. It should have no additional attributes to it, so there is a possibility this mutation would go away if you wore a different mask." Cicicexa handed it to the trepidatious demon hunter. "Now, I am only lending this to you. I expect you to return this to me as soon as you are in a position to, without any damage, yes?"

"I think that it's a good look for you." Hikari tried to hide her smirk and she made her best attempt at teasing the newly scale-clad companion, "Nothing better than being able to distract your target with an explosion before going for the deathblow."

Edited by EryaHistoria

• 2 weeks later...

Putting a different mask on doesn't seem to change Tsubasa's hair at all.  It seems that whatever the Kanohi Faxon did to her, it's no longer tied to the mask.

------------------------------------------------

Any further experiments will have to be done on the move; even with the wound Tsubasa dealt the Makuta, his forces are likely still on the move.  If nothing else, DacklyMedusa is definitely still at full strength.  And the ice stone is in a marginally less hostile environment.  The air grows cold and the ground slick as you begin to ascend the icy slopes of Mount Ihu, a light snow beginning to fall.  It is cold.  It is very cold.  As beings of Bionicle, your enhanced endurance means it's not unsurvivable, but it's very wet, chilly, and unpleasant.  At least as long as a blizzard doesn't spring up.  

And fortunately, though it remains very windy, no such storm occurs.  Instead, as you hike up the narrow path, a glint of metal attracts the eye.  Moving up the path a bit reveals the source; a silver, helmet-like mask laying in the snow.  Next to it sits a pedestal carved from ice, and atop that the foil-wrapped package of a Toa Stone.  It's right there!  It's so close!  It's on the other side of a drop so steep you can't see the bottom, the only way across looks to be a very thick, very round, and undoubtedly slippery ice bridge, and the wind is picking up with a howl...

". . . You know, I think I agree with what you said earlier. Exploding is useful." She was quite aware that Hikari had been nettling her during the experiments with the mask, but she'd given it some thought during the height. Mostly to avoid thinking about how she was currently wishing she'd trained in Flame Breathing instead of dabbling in Thunder and Water. Tsubasa peered across the gap, eyeing the bridge dubiously. She didn't particularly fancy her odds of managing a leap across with this level of wind, and the "bridge" was. . . dubious. "Don't think it helps here, though."

"Don't worry guys, I've got an idea!" Cap shouts, running up to the edge, and Slingshotting himself across, ignoring the bridge entirely!

Name: Slingshot (Cap)

Description: Cap learns how to slingshot himself gravitationally at a target, smashing into them to deal damage.

Trick Level 1: Deals Int+1d6 Damage to the target, and Int Damage to both the user and a target.

Cell takes a few steps over to the bridge, giving it a cursory glance to see if it looks like it will immediately collapse before he gets down on his stomach.  He activates his Gecko Rune and slowly shimmies onto the bridge, trying to keep his center of gravity low and his sticky contact with the ice high.

Should he fall he uses Belier's Rune before he lands to prevent fall damage.

Spoiler

Str 15,
Dex 15,

Con 15,

Gecko Rune (Trick, Level 1): Places the Gecko Rune buff on Cell for 3 turns.  While active, Cell's entire body becomes able to adhere to most surfaces like a Gecko.  However, the stickyness can't be turned off while the buff is active.  Gives +3 to climbing checks and checks to keep your grip on something for 3 rounds after activation, can be turned off as an action, and lasts indefinitely.  The benefits end before the buff does because dust and other airborne particulates adhere to Cell, swiftly coating any surfaces he could use to climb with until he turns the rune off.

Belier’s Rune(trick): La Brute.
Allows the user to dive downwards and create a shockwave when they land, negates fall damage and may destroy weak floors, the size and damage of the shockwave is based on the distance fallen and up to GM fiat.

"This looks. . .too easy. What's stopping just one of us from going across and grabbing it? There has to be something. . ." Edmond activated the thrusters at the small of his back, and lifted into the air, testing to see if the winds would be too much of an issue. So long as they weren't strong enough to lift him off the ground, they shouldn't be strong enough to counteract the thrusters, but they certainly could make control more difficult.

If flight seems even remotely feasible, Edmond will try to position himself so that he can try to catch Cap if something goes wrong.

Spoiler

Relevant tricks and gear (tl;dr Flight, acrobatics ability, the ability to tackle someone out of the way of something, and the ability to carry heavy loads including people.)

Name: The Iron Will

A made-in-America modern miracle. This weapon of destruction flies over enemies, laying down suppressive firepower when combined with "The Long Arm of the Law". Basically a set of highly patriotic power armor.

Weight: 5

Base (Loot): Grants physical damage reduction of 3 points, modular system: Provides +1 to rolls attempting to modify this system or integrate it with other electronic systems.

Level 2 (Loot): Physical damage Reduction increased by 1

Level 3 (Loot): Flight Systems Online: Grants fluff flight

Level 4 (Loot): Bulletproof: Damage reduction against bullets: 2*Physical Damage reduct

Level 5 (Loot): Acrobatics: The user gets +INT/2 at attempts to perform aerial tricks.

Level 6 (Craft): The suit can now record up to three enemies or six objects in high detail, allowing them to be studied remotely, granting items of "Combat Data"

Perfect Tackle:  Perform a 0.75SYN+0.75STR check to banish an enemy for 1 turn, 4 turn cooldown.

Base Level: Using the experience from the Afterburners passive, Edmond tackles an enemy or ally with thrusters at maximum power to send a target far from the action zone. Allies may choose to remain out of combat. Perform a 0.5SYN+0.5STR check to banish an enemy for 1 turn, 5 turn cooldown.

Level 2: 0.75SYN+0.75STR for the check

Level 3: 4 turn cooldown.

Afterburners: By increasing power to the magical thrust units on his power armor (and locking the servo motor joints in some cases), he may carry people over long distances quickly, or fly carrying larger people or loads. When seeing if Edmond can carry a large load or rapidly move a medium one, use 0.5 x STR+0.5 x SYN for the check. The person being carried may be YEETED dealing Xd6 damage to the target and Yd4 damage to the projectile, where X is the projectile's constitution score and Y is Edmond's strength. Edmond may also choose to have the person being carried take damage from attacks instead of himself.

Base CT level: By increasing power to the magical thrust units on his power armor (and locking the servo motor joints in some cases), he may carry people over long distances quickly, or fly carrying larger people or loads. When seeing if Edmond can carry a large load or rapidly move a medium one, use 0.5 x STR+0.5 x SYN for the check.

CT Level 2: Edmond can now use an action to hurl his passenger at an enemy, dealing Xd6 damage to the target and Yd4 damage to the projectile, where X is the projectile's constitution score and Y is Edmond's strength

CT Level 3: Edmond can now use his passenger as a meat shield against incoming fire, choosing to direct all incoming damage to that passenger.

Cap faceplants into the snow on the other side of the icicle bridge.  Nuparu claps politely.

Cell makes it across without falling.

Edmond doesn't think he can risk flying.  The winds almost slam him into the cliff face before he can hit the ground again.

Now on the other side, Cell takes a moment to scrape the snowy goop off his hands and feet before walking over to the stone and mask.
He examines the pedestals holding the mask and stone, and assuming it isn't obviously trapped he takes it.
He give Cap a nod and heads back, again assuming nothing goes wrong.

Cell is able to take both items without anything unwelcome occurring.  Cell obtains the Ice stone and the Kanohi Hau

Spoiler

Kanohi Hau, the mask of shielding.

This heavy-looking, silvery, metal mask has cheeks covered in vents and a helm like a samurai kabuto.  When worn, the mask color-coordinates with the wearer’s outfit.  Wearing the mask lets you project a powerful energy barrier, but can only block attacks if you react in time.

Grants a pool of temporary HP equal to your level x3.  [level] of this HP is damaged by incoming attacks from enemies with less initiative than you in place of your own HP.  When depleted, the mask goes on cooldown for 3 rounds and replenishes this pool.  Incompatible with other masks.

With the morale boost of your new acquisitions, getting back down off the mountain feels a lot faster than going up it did.  The downhill incline probably helped.  Once down, Hahli guides you to the lagoon where the water stone rests in an underwater temple, tantalizingly just outside the reach of even the best Ga-Matoran divers... and Hahli isn't exactly one of the best.  That said, Gozer doesn't need to breathe, and you all do have the Great Mask of Water Breathing.

"Well that was easy enough." He'd definitely need to dedicate some resources to powering up the boosters on his suit so he wouldn't be buffeted quite so easily.

"My suit's got a few minutes of air supply. Not enough to get to the stone I don't think, but if a sea monster attacks you on the way up or down I should be able to contribute. Given that I think someone else should take the water breathing mask."

"I've studied Water Breathing before, but it's not as literal as it sounds." She shrugged slightly. "I can keep watch here." Knowing her luck, there were more eager bloodsucking creatures waiting in the lake, and while she wasn't a terrible swimmer, she didn't relish the thought of aquatic combat. Relish. I don't think I've had it before. I wonder if I'll have any chances to try Western food during all this Trespasser hunting. The swordswoman found herself a rock to perch on, in lieu of actually sitting down.

Hikari looked with a concerned expression towards the lake. "Yeah~. I don't think that I should be the one going down there either. I've had some bad experiences with water where I'm from..." She paused for a moment, "If you do happen to draw them up here, I'll happily go to work."