Trespassers V2: Tales of the Masks [IC]

DragonRage

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I take it that the consequences of the Makuta obtaining this mask would be catastrophic? I don't know if I trust us or our strength to keep it out of his hands. I must ask though, why did the Makuta believe your threat to destroy it? If it worked once, it may work again. Given that we are not of this world, he may be more inclined to believe that we'd have no qualms about breaking it. . ."

He would have had a different opinion had the whole group been here. There were those with the power and capacity to perhaps wield the mask effectively, gods and other things. But with those here, Edmond did not find himself convinced of their capacity to handle such an item. Though he supposed, it could depend purely on what was needed to wield the mask.

"You've worn the mask, what does it take? Is it strength of body, will, magic, some combination, or something else entirely?"

"I could make the mechanical parts, yes," Vakama tells Cap, "But we are more than just our metal.  And that part...  I could not construct.

"I do think the Makuta obtaining the Vahi would be catastrophic.  Not because I think he could wield its full power, but because I know that he thinks he could.  And he believed my threat because the Makuta can read minds.  He knew that I would do it.  He knew that I saw an unknown but catastrophic fate as far preferable to a life under his rule.  As for what it takes to wield the Vahi?  Strength of will plays a part in using any mask, of course.  There is a certain question of physical compatibility, but the Vahi is still a Great Mask, so if you can use those there should not be any physical barrier.  Experience wielding great power helps, of course.  But truly, the greatest obstacle was my own mind.  A stronger will can draw more power from the mask, but for all the power I drew, I could not concentrate on enough things at once to get the mask to do what I desired.  Masks that grant an elemental power are exceedingly rare, and these days the materials needed to construct a new mask almost as hard to come by.  I couldn't say if this trait is common to all elemental masks, or if the Vahi is special in this way as well.  Extreme strength of will, and an unheard-of talent for multitasking.  These are what I believe could allow the relatively safe use of the Mask of Time.  The Makuta has the first, but not the second.  I have experienced his illusions before.  He could perhaps wield the Vahi better than I...  But he's never been one for the little details, and always been one for grand, sweeping, large-scale endeavors.  Sooner than later, he would overreach, and something would slip by his attention.  And as they say, it only takes one icicle falling in the wrong place to build an avalanche."

Travis eyes the Vahi nervously, taking a step back from it. "Well, no offense to anyone here, but I uh... think we might want to just hold onto it at best, or leave it with you until we know someone more responsible to handle it. I personally am not going to be responsible for a dick being stuck in the timeline, especially not my dick."

"Simply stop concentrating on keeping the mask active, or take it off, and any mask will cease to work, all of its effects no longer occurring.  The Vahi, to my experience, also works in this manner," Vakama shares, "However, if a change has been made with the mask's power to the world, like rocks moved with a mask of telekinesis or a firestorm stopped with a mask of shielding, those rocks will still be moved, and that fire will not hit you without further outside impetus."

Tsubasa quietly listened to the discussion, actually trying to focus on events for once. It seemed like something that would require some careful consideration, and so she gave it some such. After letting Vakama finish, she nodded once, firmly. "Right. We should take it." Belatedly realizing that this would, in fact, necessitate some explanation, she continued after a moment. "Makuta is deathly afraid of it breaking. If this Medusa tries, he'll turn on her. He can read minds, so he'll know." She refrained from adding on the other half of her "reasoning:" she just sort of felt like they should, and she wanted to try it for herself.

"I think that the question was not of Medusa breaking it, but rather whether she would respond to any threat to break it."

"In any case, sir, if you do give this to us, is there anything else we should know to minimize the risk that carrying it is?"

"Masks are pretty tough, you know," Vakama points out, "They don't break easily.  In order to damage the Vahi, it had to be blasted off an absolutely immense cliff by one of the Makuta's shadow bolts.  I don't know exactly how tall the cliff was, but I've never seen one half as high on this island, and the fall only scratched it.  A properly made mask is very tough.  Just don't expose it to anything you wouldn't want hitting your face, and it will be fine.  And you do have a point, miss.  Knowing that you have the mask, as he will if you leave this place with it, the Makuta would be very hesitant to allow extremely strong attacks to strike you or your allies, for fear of the mask being damaged.  And a wielder of the Vahi, even inexperienced...  He has fought one with power over time before.  I saw him fight and triumph.  But it was a very close battle, and the Voporak's powers are limited compared to what the Vahi can accomplish.  Yes, your point was well made.  I will not force it upon your group, but if you wish to take the Vahi...  If ever there was a time to use a secret weapon, it would be now."

Travis looks confused for a moment before seeming to realize something and having a little chuckle to himself. "Ah, right. The machine I arrived in out there? That's called a tank. One of the greatest military marvels to be invented before the second world war... Right no frame of reference for that either. Basically, it's got a giant cannon on it and is supremely armored to protect against most forms of small arms fire... Actually, it might be better to let you have a look yourself. I'm sure you'll be at least somewhat impressed."

Something Rory said piqued her interest. Not the military marvel bit - it didn't seem like it would help kill demons, slow and ungainly as it was, and so she didn't care - but about the part immediately after. "Wait, second world war? There were two wars in your timeline big enough to be called a 'world war?'" It sounded like they were from the same, or similar worlds; as such, this news was deeply concerning to the demon slayer. 

Vakama follows Travis outside to examine the tank, looking at the powder, the shells, the barrel, and even watching a quick test-fire into the lava moat.  "I think it could destroy a mask," The Turaga hazards, "But only if it was clamped down somehow, forcing it to take the full impact.  Otherwise, it would be thrown back, absorbing enough of the force to likely avoid harm."  Travis might note that a few matoran have taken discreet sketches of the tank, especially its treads and engine, as he shows off its features.

Travis looks blankly at Tsubasa as they walked out for the inspection, mostly because he didn't expect her to have much interest in history... Unless.... "Oh.... You're from before then right? Well uh, basically in Europe everyone starts developing a bunch of cool new ways to kill each other with like planes and guns and grenades and gas, but no one wants to just attack anyone because they're all in a complicated web of alliances. Well, an archduke gets assassinated and the two countries involved start threatening war, because each of their allies says they'll back them which pulls in their allies until everyone is at war pretty much. And then it drags on for years until entire generations of people are wiped out and Germany is bankrupted among other things.... Japan got involved by the way and helped a little but got shafted. Anything I should touch on more specifically?"

Tsubasa shook her head. "Westerners. . ." There were so many problems to deal with, but all of Europe figured they should get embroiled in some ridiculous conflict about a random noble dying? "Well, if Japan was involved, we must have been helping out the English, right? At the very least, we would have the sense to not get into a second one of all things after the first one ended."

Travis looks somewhere between eager and full of pity at Tsubasa's question. He takes a moment to collect his thoughts before starting slowly. "Well... about that.... Japan did side with the British in World War one but... They kind of had a recession after it, and then they got Fascist and kind of... started invading the pacific and China and murder-fucked everything after allying with the similarly fascist Germany and Italy... And eventually attacked America directly and got two atomic bombs dropped on them. It was... not great."

"I'm. . . not sure I want to ask what an atomic bomb is." That was certainly a turn. She'd known some parts of the central government were ambitious, but as a sixteen-year-old demon hunter, she typically had better things to pay attention to than the movement towards expansionist policy in the central government, such as the demons trying to eat her face. "Here's hoping that my country is saner in my timeline. Speaking of timelines." She turned to the master smith, and gave him a quick, but respectful bow nonetheless. She could be polite, for once. If he was anything like the smiths she knew, it would pay to tread lightly around his possessions. Granted, it didn't sound like he'd made this one in particular, but it probably wouldn't hurt.  "Vakama-sama, I, Sanada Tsubasa, swear to protect the Kanoha Vahi with my very life, should it be necessary, and humbly request that you entrust our group with it."

"Travis, how long ago were your world wars? Is this ancient history, or still rather relevant? Well, relevant to all those still on your world." While Edmond didn't particularly like taking the mask, it seemed like that would be what would happen, and he felt it best to accept it and move on.

Travis looks thoughtful for a moment before shrugging. "Well, I mean, depends on the area you mean. We still use Simo Haya's mindmap to improve the abilities of one of the rifle model T-dolls, and it's around then when the world governments started learning about how to produce the technology we use today like... yeah, like T-dolls and dolls in general. But if you mean like, stuff in recent memory, I think World War 3 and the Elid outbreak kind of pushed it out..." Travis taps his chin as he thinks more about the question.

Vakama thinks about it for a few moments more, but... he hands the Kanohi Vahi to Tsubasa.  "Use it wisely.  Use it with care.  For all our sakes, I hope you will not need to use it at all."

The group gains the Fire Stone, the Kanohi Miru, and the Kanohi Vahi

Kanohi Miru, the Great Mask of Levitation

Spoiler

Kanohi Miru, the mask of levitation.

This silvery, metal mask is very aerodynamic and light, with lots of holes, and a sweeping, beaked visor.  When worn, the mask color-coordinates with the wearer’s outfit.  Wearing the mask grants you the ability to levitate.

Makes you immune to falling damage.  Allows levitation but not flight on its own.  Incompatible with other masks.

Kanohi Vahi, the Great Mask of Time

Spoiler

Kanohi Vahi, the Great Mask of Time

Barely even resembling a mask, this orange-red artifact covers the lower part of the wearer's face with fan-like wings.  Unlike other Great Masks, it will not chance its coloration to coordinate with the wearer.  An elemental mask of unmatched power, it allows the wearer to control time itself, but is very difficult to use.

By activating this mask, the wearer can slow target enemy down in time, stunning that opponent for 1 round.  Unless the wearer succeeds on a DC [50 - user level] intelligence or essence check, the wearer also slows and stuns themselves.  Durations and cooldowns do not tick while under the effects of this stun.  While extremely durable, should the mask be damaged, its power will leak uncontrollably.  Turaga Vakama, its creator, believes that shattering it would shatter causality itself.  While wearing this mask, it is possible to train time-based actions, perks, and tricks with a higher power level than normal; these actions only work while wearing the Mask of Time.

"Now that you have all six Toa Stones, you must travel to the Great Shrine at Kini-Nui, our most sacred place," Vakama directs the party, "Uniting the Toa Stones there will call the Toa Mata to the island, so that they might perform their duty, and achieve their destiny, re-awakening the Great Spirit Mata Nui that the Makuta thrust into a deep slumber so long ago.  I have no doubt that the Makuta's minions will attempt to stop you; be ready."

Fortunately, Hahli and Nuparu know the way to Kini-Nui.

• 3 weeks later...

The group arrives at the Great Shrine of Kini-Nui to plant the Toa Stones.  But before you can approach the shrine, from the other side of the clearing, among the trees, a bubble of darkness appears, growing larger... and larger...

From the writhing shadows, steps two disturbingly flexible, armored, hunchbacked figures, only vaguely humanoid, with snake-like heads and vicious spines on their backs.  One armored in blue and silver and the other in black and brown, wielding gleaming silver staffs with intimidating dexterity, they open their back armor as one to allow the disgusting worms inside to screech at the party, a shrill, spine-tingling sound.

As they do so, a great creature made of reddish-tan rock stomps out of the shadows, grinding noises accompanying its every step, several feet taller than the first two.  A pair of glowing green eyes glare down at the party from deep pits in a craggy face.  It slams a fist into an open palm with a report like thunder.

And then the darkness falls into the earth, revealing... Medusa's face.  Though her chin rests on the ground, even Travis atop his tank has too look up a bit to see her lips, twisted into a savage grin.  "Hahahaha!  The LOOKS on your tiny FACES!  Well worth crawling through the trees to ambush you like this!"  The ground shakes as her head rises, planting one foot on the ground and then the other as she stands to tower over the canopy, her purple chiton and grey-tinged flesh looking utterly alien in a world of biomechanical beings.  She gestures with an immense hand, nails like claws, and dozens of spears made of pure, silver starlight manifest around her, razor-edged points aimed directly at the party.  The snakes in her hair hiss balefully, eyes glowing with pitch-black radiance that makes the party's eyes itch.

Hahli and Nuparu, no fools they, immediately turn around and run.  Medusa snaps her fingers, and they freeze in place, lightning playing over their forms.  "No running.  Blue Art - Stasis.  Stay... and meet my new friends!  So much better than my old friends!  This," She points to the blue and silver creature, "Is one of the Sons of Makuta, the Rahkshi of Gravity.  He's objectively more attractive than any of you.  Not that it's a hard bar to surpass, but I still feel it bears mentioning.  This," She points to the black and brown creature, "Is another of the Rahkshi.  He does regeneration.  Literally unkillable.  Quite entertaining at parties.  I'm a big fan of his serial dismemberment trick.  And this," She points to the rock creature that would look huge if it wasn't next to her, "Is Loyal Gozer.  He didn't ABANDON ME!  He stuck with me LIKE A TRUE FRIEND WOULD!  And soon, as is fitting for such a LOYAL FRIEND, he'll be the ONLY GOZER!  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"  She pauses a moment to take a deep breath in, "MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!"

Spoiler

Travis:  103/103, healthy and in good repair

Tsubasa:  114/114, healthy

Cell:  244/244, healthy

Hikari:  84/84, healthy

Gozer and Cap:  45/45, clinically depressed/optimistic

Cicivexa:  66/66, Bazelgeuse flashbacks

Edmond:  78/78, healthy

Medusa:  Unharmed, Edgy AF

Rahkshi (Blue and Silver):  Unscathed

Rahkshi (Black and Brown):  Unscathed

Loyal Gozer:  EXTRA THICC

Initiative:

Spoiler

Travis:  18

Rahkshi (Blue and Silver):  14

Tsubasa:  13

Medusa:  12

Hikari:  10

Medusa: 9

Cell: 9

Rahkshi (Black and Brown):  8

Medusa:  6

Gozer and Cap:  6

Cicivexa:  6

Loyal Gozer:  4

Edmond:  3

Medusa's Expectations:

Spoiler

Travis will use Machine Guns

Tsubasa will use First Form

Cell will use Aura of Laceration

Hikari will make a weapon attack

Gozer and Cap will do nothing useful, because they’re worthless BEtrayING luMPS OF awFULness!

Cicivexa will use an ice spell.

Edmond will use Stress Testing

"..."

Cap uses Spray, scattering the stone caltrops all over the ground and lowering Medusa, Blue-Silver Rahkshi and Loyal Gozer's Initiative by 3 each!

Loadout

Spoiler

Spoiler

Royal Guard: (Gozer, Blue Art)

Gozer assumes a powerful stance, preparing to absorb incoming attacks.

Gozer predicts that a specific target will be attacked by a specific other target.
If he is correct, the attack is negated, and D&G gain a damage boost equal to the damage negated, which is added to their next attack.
This action takes place immediately before the attack being blocked does.

-

Spray (Gozer, Cap)

Cap throws a handful of Stone Caltrops at enemies

Lower Init for 3 enemies by 3 each, if init hits zero, they are stunned

-

Celestial Spear (Cap, Blue Art)

Cramping Dackly's Signature Move, Cap throws a spear at an enemy made of Celestial Magic.

Deals 1d10+Int Damage, but the enemy's next attack on Cap will deal 1d10+Attacking Stat Damage to them.

-

Checkmate (Both Partners)

The user performs an action which radically turns the tide of battle, based on a plan made previously coming to fruition perfectly

The user must have one Debuff, one Buff, and be below half their max health, the target must be charging their ultimate action, or, if no ultimate technique exists, they must be using their gimmick, they must also either have stacks from, or be under the effects of an action labeled "Gaze" in it's tags. At least one ally must be in critical health, and one must be at max health.

Deal 10d12+Int+Dex damage, and stun the target, bypassing stun immunities. Once per plot cooldown. Once this ability is usable, it may be activated at-will, as a free first strike.

"Wait. . . The Makuta has children? No offense meant, but is this an asexual reproduction thing, or what?" Edmond had no idea whether his question would be heard. In the meantime though, Edmond inched over towards Tsubasa, who he recalled had been carrying the stones. He didn't want to attack Medusa just yet, as she hadn't, strictly speaking, attacked them yet. She was still an ex member of the group after all.

"Brace yourself, I'm gonna get you to the temple, alright? You get the stones in place." Edmond murmured. Then, a split second later, he'd pour as much magical energy into his suits thrusters as he and the power reserves could muster.

Use Strenuous G-force to act at 35 in the initiative. (Costs 32 HP, cut by preemptory bracing down to 22 HP cost). Use Perfect Tackle to yeet the person carrying the Toa stones into the temple, using STR+SYN (6+5) for the check, with a bonus of INT/2 (see level 5 of The Iron Will power armor) to performing this. Recover 10% MHP. 4 physical damage reduct, 8 against bullets.

Spoiler

Level: 6

HP: 78

Init: Equal to your DEX(2) score

Constitution: --8
Dexterity:--3
Intelligence:
.--12
Strength:
Synergy:

Perks:

Gambit: By sacrificing 25% MHP, Edmond gains another action during his turn.

Preemptory Bracing: Through being prepared for pain and injury, Edmond is able to lessen it. Thus, recoil damage from himself or allied effects on him is reduced by 30+Level/2% (Rounded down as usual)

Autoregeneration: Through a combination of genetic factors and automatic injectors in his power armor suit, Edmond can regenerate somewhat from damage. Heal 10% MHP every round.

Slots (7/7):

Name: The Iron Will

A made-in-America modern miracle. This weapon of destruction flies over enemies, laying down suppressive firepower when combined with "The Long Arm of the Law". Basically a set of highly patriotic power armor.

Weight: 5

Base (Loot): Grants physical damage reduction of 3 points, modular system: Provides +1 to rolls attempting to modify this system or integrate it with other electronic systems.

Level 2 (Loot): Physical damage Reduction increased by 1

Level 3 (Loot): Flight Systems Online: Grants fluff flight

Level 4 (Loot): Bulletproof: Damage reduction against bullets: 2*Physical Damage reduct

Level 5 (Loot): Acrobatics: The user gets +INT/2 at attempts to perform aerial tricks.

Level 6 (Craft): The suit can now record up to three enemies or six objects in high detail, allowing them to be studied remotely, granting items of "Combat Data"

The Long Arm of the Law: A weapon meant to be used by someone wielding the Iron will's frame, it looks like an unholy combination of a high caliber sniper rifle and a belt fed machinegun.

Weight: 5
Base (Loot): Deals 2d6+INT damage, and when used by someone not utilizing the Iron Will armor system, the weight is treated as 7.
Level 2: APDS Rounds: This weapon can be used with your choice of INT or DEX as its base stats.
Level 3: Familiarity : Bumps the dice formula up to 2d8+Stat
Level 4: Dead Aim: If the Iron Will suit is equipped, consider enemies dodge to be reduced by 10% when utilizing this weapon.

Quick tune-up: Edmond performs a series of repairs on a mechanical ally. Heal 2d6+INT HP on an ally who can be considered mechanical.

Level 1: Heal a mechanical ally by 1d6+INT.

Level 2: Heal the mechanical entity by 2d6+INT

Level 3: Edmond counts as mechanical for this skill, due to personal knowledge of his power armor.

Strenuous G-force (free action): This action modifies other actions. Edmond may sacrifice an amount of HP, and move at a spot in the init equal to his original init plus or minus the amount of HP sacrificed. 1 turn cooldown.

Level 1: Sacrifice HP to move an amount around in the init equal to how much HP you sacrifice. 2 turn cooldown.

Level 2: 1 turn cooldown.

Level 3: No cooldown

Perfect Tackle:  Perform a SYN+STR check to banish an enemy for 1 turn, 4 turn cooldown.

Base Level: Using the experience from the Afterburners passive, Edmond tackles an enemy or ally with thrusters at maximum power to send a target far from the action zone. Allies may choose to remain out of combat. Perform a 0.5SYN+0.5STR check to banish an enemy for 1 turn, 5 turn cooldown.

Level 2: 0.75SYN+0.75STR for the check

Level 3: 4 turn cooldown.

Level 3: SYN+STR for the check.

Individual Air Support: Edmond chooses one specified target, and makes note of incoming threats to them for one round. If an enemy would deal damage to the ally, even one cloaked or invisible, Edmond will first launch a burst of suppressive fire at them, dealing the base damage from a range weapon he is using, and stunning the enemy for one round. 5 turn cooldown.

Level 1: Choose an ally, if an enemy would target them, attack, deal basic damage, and stun. 5 turn cooldown.

Level 2: Advanced Sensor Array: Edmond will still be able to attack enemies who are cloaked, invisible, or speedy in such a way that would normally prevent them from being targetted while they make their move.

Stress testing: Edmond uses his engineering knowledge to strike stress points in enemy armor or bodies, causing damage that allies can capitalize on. Probably won't grant extra damage on stuff like blobs. Deal weapon damage and increase the damage of the next hit on the same enemy by 25%. 2 turn cooldown.

Level 1: Deal weapon damage and increase damage on next hit by 10%. 3 turn cooldown.

Level 2: Decrease cooldown to 2 turns

Level 3: Damage increase is now 15%.

Level 4: Damage increase is now 20%

Level 5: Damage increase is now 25%

Bird's Eye View: By calling out enemy attack patterns and apparent targets, Edmond may decrease incoming damage for two grounded allies by 20% for one turn. 1 turn cooldown.

Level 1: Decrease incoming damage for two grounded allies by 20% for one turn, 2 turn cooldown.

Level 2: 1 turn cooldown.

Level 3: Decrease incoming damage on two grounded allies by 30%