The Maltese Talonflame Chapter 1: The Cerise Letter

Yours Truly

James looks at the new kid, wondering just who he was. Shrugging off the feeling that something odd was happening, he decides that if he needs to know anything, Emilia will tell him. "So, let's continue with the tour now that we have Emilia and the intern with us. I guess the best place to go next would be the training gym, just above us on the third floor. We will only be seeing a few of the rooms of this facility as time is against us. In interest of saving time, I'll just tell you that the conference rooms are on the ground floor, the recreation room and cafeteria are located on the sixth floor, below the bullpen and we have the interrogation rooms alongside the computer center and file room on the fifth floor. Emilia and Daniel have their offices on the eight floor, where you will only go if you have done something really good, or something so stupid that even HR doesn't know what to do with you. Looking at the lot of you, the former situation seems highly unlikely, and I hope that I'm there to see you when it's the latter. All right, follow me now." James grins and walks towards the elevator. He sees that the elevator was at floor eight, and rather than waiting for the elevator walks to the left.

On the left, next to the elevator is a doorway leading to the stairs for the building. James opens it and starts climbing up one floor. Entering the third floor through the gate, James walks into the center of what turns out to be the Training Gym. "On the third floor we have this vast training gym where both trainers, and many of the mid to small sized pokemon can train. It contains many weight lifting machines, free weights, fitness items like skipping ropes, treadmills and even an automated rock climbing wall on the other side. This room encompasses the entire floor and has a large space on the side for yoga and meditation. The middle is kept free for any person or pokemon to spar. Hey Jackie, Jet, can you both come here." James waits for Jackie and Jet, who end up being two fighting type pokemon, Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee. "These guys are the pokemon of our resident trainer and they can spar with your pokemon, or you as well if you decide to tough it out and get your ass kicked. Also if you look towards the meditation room, you will see Bruce sitting there, our resident trainer. I would recommend you don't disturb his meditation as he is very particular about it. Also you should all know, that we have regular physical check ups, which should you fail, will result in being benched. Any questions so far?" James looks at the group waiting for any doubts or issues the new hires may have.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Actually I have one that just came to my mind but it is a bit irrelevant with the training gym. Will the agency cover any basic ammunition costs? I tend to find it too expensive for my economical situation currently."

Adara followed James and the others towards the training gym. i think we're away from the Armory "Come out buddy" She said as she pressed the pokeball's button to send out Gastly.

Jayden saw Adara release her Gastly and decided to do the same with Inva. Seeing her opportunity, the Inkay climbed up Jayden’s arms and reached out with two tentacles to grab Kayn’s hat. The others were used to hold Inva and place or defend against the Apiom. The Inkay scuttled atop Jayden’s Head whilst wearing Kayn’s Top Hat. It started to cackle In a scaringly disturbing way. Inva’s lights flashed rapidly with emotion.

After hearing James response, Kayn takes out Zaru of the pokeball, who instantly move up to Kayn's shoulder.

When Jayden's Inkay stole Kayn's hat without him noticing, Kayn looks with a serious expression to Jayden.

"Give it back."

Jayden stood l with a blank look. “She’s pretty infatuated with it. I might not be able to take it away, she’s hard to get. I think she’s calm now. Never thought this would work you up.” Jayden went to take the hat, but Inva lifted it out of reach. “Inva” Inva scuttled unto his shoulder and placed the hat on Zaru’s Head. I slight frown could be made out on her usually grinning face. 

James looks at Horace and sighs. There is always a gun enthusiast. He then goes on to repeat the company policy, "Regular ammunition will be paid for by the agency, although you probably won't get that many of it and anything more powerful than the second lowest caliber round is going to be extremely regulated. You can always buy ammunition and write it off as an expense, however you must justify the use of every single bullet. Also you will be given a very limited number of ammunition every time. Furthermore, you will only be able to get it, after you complete your clearance tests. While the law gives you the right to carry a weapon should you have a permit, our agency takes these matters a little more seriously. You will train and pass our version of a licensing test before you can get be approved and gain access to the armory facilities."

James then turns to face the rest, and seeing no other questions he says,"Alright then, since there are no questions with regards to the physicals, I won't really be telling you much about it. I'll be on the sidelines cheering for all of you. With my video camera to record every single embarrassing mistake and goof up." James gives a slightly sadistic grin at the thought of the potential physical test. "Let's move on. Time to go to the bullpen. Your last stop of this tour." He walks to the elevator, presses the button and Emilia walks up next to him.

"You truly feel schadenfreude, don't you?" she asks, looking at the joy in his eyes. She wonders why she hired him. The elevator doors open and the group walks inside. Turning to see the recruits and their pokemon fooling around she says, "Stop the mankey business and hurry inside." As the rest of the group enters, James says,"Well, it's not that I like them suffering, but if they are going to suffer anyways, why not have fun with it? I mean, it's not like I have to undergo the exam. I'm safe behind my desk." loud enough for the entire group to hear.

The elevator moves up slowly and finally reaches the seventh floor. The doors open and as the group steps out they see the bullpen, which is nothing but a large hall with a few structural columns equally spaced, acting as divisions. There are rows of desks, some empty, and some with personal knick-knacks, paperwork, plants etc on them. The desks near the windows were all occupied, as were the desks near the coffee machine. The empty desks were kept close to the elevators, totaling ten in number. If somebody counted, the desks would be about twenty five in total, arranged in five rows of five. Each desk also had a laptop computer on it, a waste bin next to it and a cabinet to store files. There were two wireless printers at the tables near the coffee machine at the back end of the room. There were also some chairs and tables where some of the employees were sitting and enjoying their coffee away from their desks while looking out the window with a view facing the west, which gave the chance to view a beautiful sunset everyday.

"This, boys and girls, is the bullpen. The empty desks are for each of you. You can choose which desk is yours and place your bags there, after which we will go downstairs for the rest of the days activities. The senior detectives who are having coffee right now, are already seated around you, and you can introduce yourselves to them later. This is where you will do all your paperwork and brainstorming. Alright, keep your stuff and come downstairs to the main lobby on the ground floor in ten minutes." James told the group, as he and Emilia step back inside the elevator, which goes up to the eighth floor.

Horace did what any mature man would do,  and  quickly trotted and settled down at the desk which was the least further from the coffee machine,  nonchalantly saying   "Claimed."  He then placed his bag to the side.   He absentmindedly moved the laptop's mouse, and figured he would need to press the power button, which is what he did. He then wasted no time in uploading his GBA emulator from his usb flash disk, into his new work laptop.  "If anyone considers having a GBA emulator for stress relief is a good idea, feel free to grab it, and any rom you want from the shared folder. "  

Kayn, not knowing which one to choose, just followed Horace and claimed the closest desk to Horace's. "This one is mine!". Kayn places all his stuff in the desk, and go to the coffee machine to make a coffee. "Woo, coffee!" Kayn looks to the others. "Who wants coffee???".

Jayden sighed at Kayn’s excited chatter. If he really wanted to not be mistaken as a child, then he needed to act less childish.  Jayden carried Inva away from Kayn’s hat and picked a spot near the window, which wasn’t too far away from the coffee machine. It was only a few rows away.  Jayden pulled out a piece of paper and pencil and wrote “claimed” on it. He didn’t want to leave anything precious out and have it get stolen after all. Inva started to float to the coffee machine. Inva didn’t need coffee, she was always so peppy. Jayden could only imagine the horror that would be a hyperactive Inva. 

Edited by DigitalAmber

Aster took the seat closest to the front and near the window. He has kept relatively silent through the whole orientation. It was boring the hell out of him. Even when it got interesting with the weapons training, given his record he won't be doing that anytime soon. He sighed, and left his bag on the chair. Without wasting anymore he headed to the lobby to finish up here.

Arlen chose a desk in the back of the ones available and stood in front of it. To tell the truth, he wasn't very interested in most of the tour after the library. The weapons training sounded like something he could get some use out of, especially since there would be at least something non-conventional, but...they hadn't told them what they would actually be doing yet.

It also didn't seem quite right that they were giving them the layout of the building before even hiring them, either. That information could easily be used against them if someone drops out or fails these physical exams. Not that he was planning anything. It's just sometimes it helped to think like a criminal when your goal is catching them. I hope you're right about this agency, Dad. Because I'm not very impressed so far.  he thought while writing out a claimed note and tossing it on the desk. Then he stowed his lute case under it and walked back to the elevators.

"No, thanks." he said simply at Kayne's offer of coffee. He wasn't a very big fan of the stuff after watching former coworkers down pots of it over the course of only a few hours. "I'll take a few sugar packets, though. Auri always gets into my stuff at home, so maybe this will appease her a bit later."

Jeanne claimed one of remaining desks not really caring where it was at. She set her stuff down onto the desk and sat and started going through the pictures she has been taking of the others. She deleted the ones she didn't like and started to put pictures to names so she could keep things organized. 

"I'm fine i don't need any coffee." She answered well she waited tell it was time to go to the Main Floor.

Adara chose the desk right behind Horace at least not too far from the coffee machine she thought as she sat then pulled out a piece of paper and pencil and wrote “claimed” on it. Then she looked towards Kayn and said "hehe, I could use some coffee." she tossed her bags under the desk and walked towards the coffee machine to pour herself a cup. She sat back in her desk and began sipping her coffee while waiting before they had to head over to the Main Floor.

Serra nodded at the answer... and all the other sentences she heard during the rest of the tour. She was putting up a convincing act, at least.

She stared at her desk for a long while, before dumping her bag on the desk. The desk was fairly close the waste bin, all the more convenient for her. She took a large sticker out of the bag - the logo of her service, a keyhole, and slapped it on the side of the desk.

Finally, she made her way to the main lobby when it was her time to do so.

Elias finds an empty desk and puts a note on it. Claimed by Elias. He then walks over to the man who was talking about the GBA emulator and roms. "Hi, I'm Elias, the new intern. Is it fine if I borrow your flash drive? I'd like to take a look at the emulator and roms, please." Without really waiting for a reply, he takes the drive and walks back to his system. He plugs it in and starts transferring all the roms he wants. After finishing with this, he makes his way back to the man and returns his flash drive. He then walks towards the elevator and pushes the button to call it. He turns around and asks, "Does anybody want to head downstairs?"

Horace was about to tell the guy that he doesn't need the flash drive because he had transferred the files to the LAN's shared folder, but the guy had taken it and done his job before he had the chance to do so.   "Oh well,"  he mused.

He then took a piece of post-it paper and wrote "Horace Kampton's Desk"   before sticking it on the surface.  He might as well do some socializing for now.  That guy came off as a bit lacking manners,  taking his flash stick without receiving an answer, but at least he seemed to also like playing emu games.  He might as well hang out with him for now.  

"Sounds like a good idea. I'm coming with you."  He said to Elias,  and walked to the elevator.

Everyone in the group were given a few more moments to talk amongst themselves and get a little more settled inside of their new offices; before the elevator door opened to reveal the other receptionist from downstairs, who rather gently reminded everyone that their new boss was still waiting for everyone downstairs. She then held the elevator door open as she calmly waited for the others to follow her.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Katie led the recently hired investigators to a rather small gated field located just behind the building itself, where their new boss and Emilia seemed to be having a conversation about needing an exterminator's help for...something you never got to find out as Daniel cut himself off mid sentence and turned to face the rest of you. He scanned the group for a few moments before he leaned his head slightly in Emilia's direction and quietly said "Didn't I already tell you to not hire any children? Because some of the applicants look really young," Emilia then let out a sigh before she turned to rather loudly say "Well they are the most competent applicants we could find. That and you rejected most of the older ones.". 

Daniel slowly but surely turned to face the group as he said "That is because none of them were dedicated enough for the job to accept the salary we were offering," his eyes lingered on the quickly retreating form of Katie before he slowly shook his head and said "She is going nowhere fast with that kind of attitude, you can't think of your job as just something you do to get by for the next day...not if you want to get something meaningful out of it. Do you really think that I would have gotten here if I thought so lowly of my work? Well all I can hope for is that all of you will be excited by the prospect of helping people," he let out a cough before he gestured at the investigators and said "Well I think it is time for all of you to introduce yourselves to me, as all eight of you will be working under me for the foreseeable future after all.".

"Meaningful... " Serra muttered under her breath. She was already helping people before this; the only thing new was a better pay.

She raised her voice, and began to introduce herself again. "I'm Serra, and I ran the Clavis Locksmith Service in Unova's Castelia City, saving countless clumsy businessmen from their dreadful forgetfulness. I know how to get around, and how to stop others from getting around. I hope you'd enjoy my service." 

She then took a step backwards, signaling the end of her introduction.

"Now it's my turn."

Kayn steps forward, to start introducing himself.

"My name is Kayn, and I know I look young, but you shouldn't underestimate people by their looks. Well, I guess you have to see it for yourself in the future~"

Before stepping back, Kayn sarcastically smiles.

So our boss is 'that' kind of men..Just wonderful. OH well, it could've been worse thought Adara to herself before she took a few steps forward and said:" Greetings! I'm Adara, nothing too impressive about me, i graduated from the S.H.I.E.L.D school of law and i'll hopefully show you that im well dedicated to this job." She then did what Serra did and stepped backwards, signaling that her introduction was finished.

Edited by Amine Chankey3ft7

He doesn't seem so bad. Arlen thought. His last employer wasn't even close to this friendly with his employees. "Arlen Eldes."  he said with a smile. "You may have heard of me if you're into music."  That was all he deemed necessary, given that the man had clearly read their files.

"Guess I'm next," Aster spoke taking a step forward.  "The name is Aster, and I'm sure you know all about me given you read my file or at least I assume the man in charge would read the files about future subordinates." The boy gave a nonchalant wave as he gave his name.  "Anyways, I hope we all get along on the job."

Riight that's one way to say you don't want to waste too much money in salaries. Seeing as it was his cue, he spoke up. "Horace Kampton, graduate of the Jeff Stagger's Private Police Academy.  I also have done quite a lot of practical training in ranged combat."