[IC] TotM:DC "Terraria: A fresh start"

StormLord

Jun idly walked over to where the Eye had spat out some stones down onto the floor as if it was a particularly macabre pinata, and she gingerly poked some of the green and purple rocks with her bow to try and see if it would suddenly and inexplicably explode on contact; which it of course failed to do. After a few more moments of gentle poking had passed; the ambassador finally decided to man up and pocketed some of the metallic and purplish rocks up, just before she walked over to where the others were standing and showed one of the rocks to the guide and asked "So what are these things anyway?".

Jun takes 6 demonite ores.

"I- uh- th-" Alyssa quietly stutters to form a sentence only to quickly decide against it. She wraps one arm around herself and looks at the remnants of the battle. 

Useless. 

She was basically useless in that fight. These people that she's not known for more than even a day efficiently took down a giant floating eyeball and its minions without breaking a sweat. They all seem so special, with fire and ice and something that just might be both. The most she could do was an exaggerated parlor trick over and over again. She only had a fancy paintbrush. She's not any better than anyone else on Calypsia. And she must be next to nothing compared to the group that is saving the universe. 

She looks down at her paintbrush in one hand and grips it tightly. No use for feeling useless. She can feel useless later. She looks up and tucks the brush behind one ear. "Yes. I- uh. Right now the only thing I want to know is what the beds are like here. I guess I'll see you at dawn." She walks off  towards the tavern to find a room for the night.

Arminius shrugs at Calvera's question.

"Looked like a giant eyeball. Maybe the product of some necromancer going a bit crazed? Here, let's ask her."
Those with magical affinity can feel something in the air going to work as Arminius' runes glow pink. Bits of the big eye are grabbed and smushed into a vaguely humanoid shape by the remaining essence of the soul, picking the path of least resistance to it's new form. The pile of gore is quickly covered by a layer of red skin, then white hair is applied to the head, red streaks calling to mind the optic nerves of the original beast. Finally, the creature opens it's single large eye as it's clothes form... Those from modern eras would note a resemblance to the style of an Idol, or perhaps a magic girl. The girl flashes a shark-like grin as she strikes a pose.

"Never fear, the Idol from the city of R'lyeh, Iris is here!"

Arminius stares at his new minion like he suddenly regrets his decision to make her.

While frostbrute makes sure all the fire is out, Leo is inspecting the ore. Shades of red and purple hover around him as he test the effects of the different mana types.

"Nasty stuff. Definitely usefull in weapons."

Spoiler

(14 vs 12) Demonite ore creates a mana that seems to cause an acidic burn to non-Corrupt organic materials, it deals 1d6 acid damage per point when directly applied.  Leo senses there might be some side effects from prolonged exposure.

(9 vs 10) Crimtane ore creates a mana that when applied to a living entity it brings them to and holds them in a state of near death by sickness, infection, and disease.  It also prevents the target from dieing due to their ailments.  Leo senses there might be some side effects from prolonged exposure.

(9 vs 11) Demonite ore > Crimtane ore: This mana type causes organic material it's applied to to rappidly wither and rot, dealing 1d6 necrotic damage per point to non-Crimson targets.

(18 vs 3) Crimtane ore > Demonite ore: This mana type causes the target to be held in a constant state of near death caused by poison and acid burns, but can't they die from those effects.

Prolonged exposure to either may cause side effects.

(16 vs 19) True Crimtane ore: Converts ambient mana into a variety of life mana very slowly at a poor rate, the speed increase the long it is done it the same place without moving.

(20 vs 13) True Demonite ore: When applied to a living creature this mana type gives the target an animalistic twitch reflex, boosting their Init by 2 points.

Leo takes four pieces of each ore and takes a small sample shard of each type for later

He also claims a lens and Two red hearts

"Im going to run some of this stuff by the smith. When you guys are done takeing your pick of the loot, make sure to send me any leftovers."

Leo takes the stuff to the blacksmith and ask him to smelt three of each type of ore into bars, warning him to be careful with the stuff.

South Pass:

The Guide nods to Arminius then answers Calvera's question.

"I can't say for sure without looking at my books, but I think it was the Eye of Cthulhu.  A powerful monster said to watch over the land and enact it's master's archaic plans."

He turned to Jun and took a look at the piece of ore for a second.

"I think you've got a piece of Demonite there, it would make sense.  Demonite comes from the Corruption, one of the taints that plague the island, it's suppose to contain the concentrated power of the Corruption, lucky for us it won't spread the taint like Ebonstone would.  The other lumps are probably Crimtane, the Crimson's counterpart to Demonite."

He watches as Arminius converts the assorted chunks of charred flesh leftover from the Eye of Cthulhu into a humanoid creature.

"I...um, well alright then.  Honestly probably not the strangest thing I've seen this week."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Smithy:

Leo managed to catch up with the Blacksmith right as he was putting the remaining copper armor and weapons away.

"Look, I ain't got any idea what kinda ore that is.  I never seen it before, plus it's get'n late and I want to go to bed, so I'm not stay'n up all night to smelt ore for ya.  You can either leave it 'ear and I'll smelt it in the morn'n or do it yur'self.  Smelter's over there."

The Blacksmith directed Leo to a chimney like structure just outside the smithy, it was a little taller than Leo, and had several openings around the base, midsection, and top, along with several tools(such as a hammer) and barrels sitting near it.  Upon inspection one barrel had clay in it, one had gravel sized chips of coal, another had a tan rock ground almost into sand or powder, and the last was filled with multicolored semitransparent gel.

Edited by StormLord

"Just don't look her in the eye, she looks like the uh... Creepy type."
Iris smacks Arminius on the arm cutely. As she pouts she scolds him.

"Master, that's mean. I mean, I wouldn't mind watching but I won't do anything bad..."

The look on her face calls that into question.

As the swam of eyes are finally defeated Toshiro tosses back the boomstick to the arms dealer.  "I believe this belongs to you. Thank you once again, trying to slash something that was on fire wouldn't have ended well."

Toshiro returns the Boomstick

"Now, lets see what this stuff is..." He picks up some of the red ore and one of the hearts. The ore looked quite interesting, maybe there maybe a way to get more of the stuff.

Takes 6 Crimtane Ore and 1 Red Heart

He turns around to notice a humanoid creature form out of the giant eye ball's remains.  "I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that..." the fish man spoke bit baffled and distraught,  "Anyways, like I said before I'm Toshiro and apprently now I'm supposed to join you guys. I hope we all get along in the future." Following that he did a slight bow. Now turning his attention to The Guide,  "Also, you said this ore was called Crimtane and it's from this Crimson place, right? You think if someone were to head over there they could get some more of the ore?" The fishman asked with a cheeky smirk on his face.

Leo, not really knowing what to do with the forge decides he can wait till tommrow, and drops off three demonite and crimtane ore. Before heading outside and doing some testing. He removes the grief seed from his pocket, and picks up a rock. Using the "Wish" mana he turns the rock into a core.

Spoiler

Golem quality: 63,
Random effect: 27, well then,
Mana effect: 14, ouch,

Leo suceeds in creating his golem core, it seems to work fairly well dispite the fact that the Grief seed ate an extra point of mana in the creation process.  He pauses for a brief second to wonder what it's doing with that mana before continueing with his golem making.  The core seems to respond well to simple and minor commands Leo gives it, though it seems to take a little more focus than he would've liked to get it to register the command.  Despite this something seems a little off about the core, Leo can't put his finger on it until he's finishing up his work and accidently drops the core.
While the core is undamaged beyond maybe a minor scratch or two, upon inspection Leo quickly finds the AI within the core to be...crying?
It seems the core has somehow developed the capacity to feel emotion(specifically stubbornness, sadness, and pain have been displayed) on a scale far beyond what a similar golem would be capable of.

Leo obtains one:

Golem core:
Material: Rock
Auxiliary effect: Capacity for emotion
Programing: Follows forceful and simplistic mental commands.

He also loses 2 points of mana(1 from alternate casting, 1 from the Grief seed).

As he hoped, it responds to simple mental commands, though it dosent really have much worth commanding it to do at the moment. Though it does take more focus than he would like, and something feels a little... off.

Its not until he accidently drops it and inspects it for damage that he realizes that the basic AI program that runs it is crying. Something he defintly never programed.

The core was feeling emotion, and was apparently not happy about being dropped. 

Leo sits down with it and starts reminceing on his adventures. Holding the core in his hands.

"Leo?"

"That mana has some tie to emotion. The core is upset. Im trying to soothe it."

Stunning views, merry nights, the smiles of passing children.

Leo allows himself to relive them as he tries to project his feelings to the core.

It seems to work, not that the core can express itself in its current state.

Spoiler

(13 vs 1) Leo suceeds in doing just that, the core seems "happy" or at least no longer upset, though it lacks a significant way to express it's emotion.

Leo stands up, and starts walking out of town.

"I need my iron."

"Cant it wait till there aren't monsters and zombies running around"
"I would rather get it done now"

Leo manages to avoid the zombies on his path, and nothing seems to be after him.

Spoiler

(7 vs 6) Leo doesn't notice anything after him, and manages to avoid some zombies on the path.

Once he gets there he takes some of his iron and turns it over in his hand. he considers reshaping the stone into a smoother, easier to work with core, but it was to risky. He didn't have the heart to extinguish the "life" of the core. It was feeling emotions, and it wasn't like it has shown any indication of being dangerous. Instead he added the iron to the core to smooth it out, he fiddles with the programming so that the iron handles most processing and memory storage, so that it can self edit easier.

Leo gets the feeling He's not alone, so he has frostbrute stand guard while he continues to work.

Spoiler

Shape solid: 5 vs 3,
Quality: 74,
Random effect: 27

After a few minutes of working....well it isn't his best work, but it's still functional and seems to work fairly well for the core.
Leo doesn't think he's alone in the ship.

Leo gives the core the ability to see hear and speak. The results are. Interesting...

"Appreciative, content."
"Appreciative, content."
"Still content, still Appreciative."

This goes on for about a minuet with leo just staring at it. before he finally interrupts it.
"Slowww down there little guy. Listen. Do you want me to make a body for you?

"Complentateing...................................Desire."

"Alright then. Give me a little bit..."

Spoiler

Quality: 68
Frostbrute: 6 vs 7

Leo gives the core the ability to see, speak, and hear without any problems.
Almost as soon as he does so and the core registers it's new abilities it begins rattleing off it's emotional state every few seconds.  Right now it seems to be "appreciative" and "content".
Frostbrute doesn't see anything.

Leo goes over his shape solid spell, and manages to get a variation down that improves the structural integrity of materials.

Spoiler

Training: 15 vs 4,
Quality: 7
Random effect: 44

Leo obtains this upgrade for Shape Solid:

Level 2(Trick): Leo may choose to invest extra time while crafting to improve the structural integrity of materials he uses, effect subject to GM fiat, slightly increases check difficulty, time investment increase counted in hours.

He also hears something get knocked over several rooms down.

At this point he starts hearing a racket downstairs and tells the little core to wait as he goes down to check on it with frostbrute.

Edited by Endlessblaze

The Guide looked at Toshiro oddly for a second before finally deciding it was best to not ponder things and just answer the question.

"Probably, though the journey there wouldn't be easy and you would have to survive in the Crimson long enough to extract the ore, or find a powerful monster to kill."

He stopped and looked around for a second, most of the party seemed to be heading off.

"If any of you have more questions I'll be over here."

With that he wandered off to help some of the other villagers clean up.

Calvera looked towards the newly formed... Iris, first with curiosity, then frowned. Her cheeks began reddening. In her head, she definitely wondered what exactly Arminius planned to do with this new... minion, but just quickly shook her head to get the thought off her mind. Her eyes wandered around the party, briefly setting on Kusuke, before quickly darting to the next person. She sighed, and turned back to Arminius.

"Sooo... what's next?"

She takes a large step towards the man, with a playful pat of her hands onto her legs.

Arminius doesn't notice the blush that formed on Calvera's cheeks, or at least if he does he didn't say anything. Instead he shrugs and stretches out a little.

"I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired. I'd say we've done a lot today but I honestly have no idea how long it's been since I got up... Anyways, I'm thinking we should go to bed."
After a moment of thought he pats Calvera's head with a smile.

"Great job out there by the way. We couldn't have done it without you."

"Hmmm, alright then. Well, anyways I'm beat I'm gonna head off to bed." The fishman spoke before heading back to the tavern for a room to rest the night. However, tomorrow will be quite the interesting day and he's looking forward to it. But he should probably get some better equipment before doing anything major and he just got some new ore so that shouldn't be hard, right?

"...yeah, that makes sense. It's been awhile since I've slept... hard to keep track, when you're travelling the multiverse."

Calvera giggled, then smiled. At least, briefly, as she frowned.

"I dunno about that... everyone here is way more capable of me... if that whole beam incident doesn't say that already."

She spoke quietly, eyes looking back towards Kusuke for a short moment.

"If it wasn't for you we wouldn't have taken out all the little eyes as quickly at the very least. One mistake shouldn't be something you keep beating yourself up over Calvera. I know if I did that I'd never have time to learn from it."
As Arminius talks he starts herding Calvera away from Kusuke and towards the Inn. With the way she keeps looking at him it's clear that his presence is doing something to exacerbate the problem.

Night:

Everyone eventually finds their way to the inn where they find a nice warm bed waiting for them to pass out in.  Except for Leo that is, who decides sleep is for the weak and stable minded so instead he spends all night working on a golem that spontaneously developed feelings(it's a long story).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morning(at the Inn):

Early in the morning the party slowly begins drifting awake to the smell of sausage and potatoes cooking and the soft chatter of people downstairs.  Heading down stairs would reveal several thus far unnamed villagers in morning chit-chat and a grumpy looking Barkeep severing up some sort of hash-like dish.

Day's random event roll: 25,

It looks to be a bit overcast out, maybe some rain later in the day, but nothing too severe.

Morning(at the Weatherlight):

Leo finishes up his golem "Stoneheart" just as the sun is finally pulling itself over the horizon.  Stepping out of the Weatherlight he sees a number of small colorful slimes bouncing around in the field again, mostly blue and green slimes, but there seems to be a purple one off at the edge of the clearing.  In the distance over at the village he can see feint wisps of smoke telling him that the Blacksmith has probably started the smelter.

Leo tiredness roll: 12 vs 16 (Con save),

Leo isn't about to pass out, but he isn't feeling 100%.  -1 to rolls that require significant focus.

Jun simply got up from her comparatively soft bed and slowly prepared for the day by gently brushing her hair just before she donned her suit of power armor once more. And as she prepared to leave the room she gently lifted her plasma sword off of a table top from across the room (17 v 2) with the satisfied smile of someone who had finally started to get the hang of something clearly visible on her face, before she slowly walked up actually take hold of it as she made a mental note to try and learn how to reel the damn thing in....after she went down to get some breakfast, got the demonite ore smelted into a usable form, and went on a little excursion of course. 

Today was going to be a very busy day.

Leo heads downstairs and locates the door to an old storeroom, with the sound coming from inside. He stands back and waits for frostbrute to open the door. Holding up snow to use her projector as a light source. Once the door is open a colorful pink slime leaps onto its head, smoke coming up from the contact. Frostbrute tries to rip it off its head, but it just clings to it and moves to the back of its hand before droping down onto the ground....

Then leo hits it with a blast of ice magic and it weakens greatly. Frostbrute steps on it, and its over. The pink slime collapses, dropping pink gel and some coins.

Leo does a quick test of its mana and is somewhat pleased. Hes sure he can find a use for that.

A quick test of the coin's confirm there made of T copper, and that they are indeed unaffected by the gel. So Leo uses a portion of the coins to make a thin bowl to contain the gel.

He starts outside, only for frostbrute to be sent flying into the air and onto its back by the step. wow that stuff was bouncy. he scraped it off with a coin THEN continued outside.

He spent his time working stone and iron until the begin to rise

Shards of stone coated, edged and adorned with iron flowed around a stone sword. The hilt become disjoined from most of the blade, held only together by a chain as the shards coiled around it, structuring themselves into a humanoid form. The core sat in the hilt, around which it formed its head.

"I think ill call you...stone heart"

"......Appreciation. Gratitude"

"I cant believe you stayed up all night. you are aware we have a job to do here right?"

Leo just streacthces and admires the sunrise before gathering his materials.

"Come on, Im hungry. we can figure out what we are going to do afterword's"

Leo heads back to the tavern and goes in to grab some breakfast. He leaves frostbrute outside with the materials, but brings Stone heart in.

He somehow finds himself sitting across the table from jun.

Jun was idly taking a few bites off from a sausage she had picked up from her plate when Leo entered into the tavern, and Jun pointed at him with the sausage and asked "So about last night, why did the flames your other golem could apparently put out with no ill effects caused an explosion when Calvera threw some more fire at it? Also good morning." when he decided to seat himself across her.

"Because frostbrute uses Ice fire. Its a sort of magical flame that consumes heat as fuel. The explosion? Well, what happens when you throw gasoline on a regular fire?"

Leo takes a bite of his food

"Mmmm that's not bad...Anyways, frostbrute puts Ice fire out by manipulating temperature. He pulls heat away from the fire, depriving it of fuel."

Stone hearts shard body begins to deconstruct itself, and coil around the air around leo like a long cord of shards connected by magic Looking curiously at him and his food, the sword at the end of the loose body.

24 minutes ago, Endlessblaze said:

"Because frostbrute uses Ice fire. Its a sort of magical flame that consumes heat as fuel. The explosion? Well, what happens when you throw gasoline on a regular fire?"

Leo takes a bite of his food

"Mmmm that's not bad...Anyways, frostbrute puts Ice fire out by manipulating temperature. He pulls heat away from the fire, depriving it of fuel."

Stone hearts shard body begins to deconstruct itself, and coil around the air around leo like a long cord of shards connected by magic Looking curiously at him and his food, the sword at the end of the loose body.

Jun took another bite out of her sausage as she leaned back on her seat, "Do you have any other way to put it out or control its spread if Frostbrute is away or out of commission? Because I certainly hope that you had a backup plan before you started unleashing what is basically a weapon of mass destruction on people". She paused to take another bite out of her sausage before she continued with "But anyway can the fire damage structures? Does it eventually put itself out? And what are its effects on say....a robot that has no need for heat to function properly?". She then left a pause to lean in and point her half eaten sausage at the new golem before she said "And also have you had that golem with you all along?".

Toshiro woke up earlier than everyone else. This is usually when he'd do his daily sword training regimen. Even when he smelled the aroma of breakfast he continued to take practice swings. He had to to 100 swings with each blade separately and finally ending with 100 swings with both blades in tandem.

Training: 16 vs 20,
Luck: 88,(no lost fingers)

Toshiro finishes his morning training to nothing special, it's a fairly routine session and he doesn't have a major break through.

Once he finished, he glanced towards the sky to notice smoke in the distance, probably from a smelter. Since his training was concluded he decided to head over there. Entering the blacksmith's shop he places the ore he previously acquired on the counter.  "Would ya mind refining this ore? I'd do it myself but I have yet to eat this morning and my stomach is aching for some food. If ya can't that's fine but could you at least set them aside for me?" Then he noticed the rudementary copper armor and realized he didn't have much in terms of defenses.  "I think I'll borrow this armor too, at least until I can forage a new set."  

Request the ore smelted and take a Copper Armor Set

"Anyways, thank you." He casually waved goodbye after he adorned himself in the armor. After which he headed into the tavern and got himself a plate full of food. He then noticed two of the people he fought the eye swarm with last night eating with each other. He thought he may as well join in, get to learn something about his new comrades. Joining the two at their table as he added into the conversation.  "I must say though, that fire certainly made my job more difficult. I could barely get close without it spreading to me." He chuckled a bit before taking a large bite from his potatoes. 

Leo takes a bite of his hash before replying to jun.

"Well, since it feeds on heat, blasting it with enough ice magic in general can put it out. Besides, it wasn't that warm out, so there was little chance of it spreading over the ground and structures. It would have been a different story if that had happened during the day though. As for actualy damaging structures and robots, that depends on things like how well it takes being frozen over, or getting ice in its joints."

Another bite

"It is possible for the blaze to get so big it cant sustain itself, or simply consume all of its fuel."

"As for stone heart here he was up all night making him."

He ignores snow and rubs the back of his head at Toshiro's interjection.

"heha... yeah. I kinda figured that if they were flying around, Everyone was just going to use ranged weapons. Still it worked out pretty well. I tested the mana type of the materials the Eye dropped. And its some interesting stuff. A bit nasty to, definitely good for weapons, but maybe some other stuff as well. I still need to pick up the refined metal, and test that, but im hopeful ill get something good."

After getting back with some essence in... wherever it is he puts it, Arminius put it to use. After a bit of wandering around he went to the Arms Dealer, he was gonna need some more coinage after all and he had the perfect thing to trade for it.

"Yea, I'm looking forward to foraging a pair of blades from that metal, and It's not everyday you come across steel like that. I know may not look like it but I know a thing or two about metal working." The fishman smugly rubbed his chin as he spoke before taking another bite from his food. He then noticed one of the blades Jun had and leaned in a bit closer to it. Specifically it was the Temporal Katana.  "Say that's a nice looking blade you got there, mind if I take a closer look?" He asked the woman sitting back up straight.