[IC] TotMV:G2: The Battered Hero

Chevaleresse

Eon

Hearing Solomon's opinions on what Leon wanted them to do was, quite frankly, absolutely ludicrous. Given the terrain that they were traversing, the surrounding areas, and the appearance and knowledge of Leon, to think that he wanted them for farming was something that Eon couldn't wrap his head around.

"You know, I think something on this scale deserves some sort of formal case study. If only to inform denizens of other worlds and civilizations on how not to handle situations involving people. Thoughs?" Eon broadcasted to It that Embraces, while also pulling his book closer to himself.

"I must agree with...Sachi was it? I'm rather poor with names... I believe we should give this man the benefit of the doubt."

He called out to Solomon who seemed to be accusing the tour guide from his comfortable book perch.

"Also, his wepon is I believe simply called a pistol sword. I've seen a few of those relics in museums. Have you not come across them in any of your texts?"

• Upvote 1

Eon

Hearing Solomon's opinions on what Leon wanted them to do was, quite frankly, absolutely ludicrous. Given the terrain that they were traversing, the surrounding areas, and the appearance and knowledge of Leon, to think that he wanted them for farming was something that Eon couldn't wrap his head around.

"You know, I think something on this scale deserves some sort of formal case study. If only to inform denizens of other worlds and civilizations on how not to handle situations involving people. Thoughts?" Eon broadcasted to It that Embraces, while also pulling his book closer to himself.

"[Amusement, approval]"

Someone's getting lazy, apparently. Or perhaps just testing that she can do it the old way? But, really, what else is she going to say? He's being rather silly, and judging by the mirth in her eyes, she's rather okay with this.

The grey cloaked man laughs at the armored woman's response, and he replies with "Hah, wouldn't you like to know?"

The grey cloaked man smiles even wider as he says.

"It depends on the book; the worthless books I am sitting on are about swordfighting, the worthless book I am holding in my hand is about ripping holes in the "fabric" of space-time; it is very useful as a paper weight."

Edited by Cronos5010

"Solomon. Are you hurt? You were just slammed over the head with the pommel of Snow's sword. You might need medical attention."

Edmond was gaping at the scene which had unfolded before him. Snow had leaped onto Solomon's improvised helicopter, and slammed her pommel on the crown of his head, before he could even turn his head. He passed it off with no reaction except a quip. And he smiled! Is this man insane?

Edited by Strider

"Hah, medical attention; it's fine, it's just part of an old slapstick routine",

"You know, am I the only person here that finds it odd that she still says Universe like it's still singular? I mean the gravitational anomaly alone should have been enough to convince her, and she's not even reacting to the hole in space, or that weird looking drider thingie..."

"Well, if you insist. I've seen people receive concussions from far less, so I would urge caution."

Edmond was still quite bewildered, and quietly filed Solomon away into the far corner of his brain figuratively marked "Incomprehensible".

• Upvote 2

Leon sighs very heavily. "It's called a gunblade, and if you make one more wise-ass remark like that you're going to get some very detailed information on how it performs in combat." He clears his throat loudly, and shakes his head again. He begins another explanation as the group draws closer. The rock fades into what looks like the remains of some great fortress, dark crumbling brick making up patches of the walls with that strange, destroyed clockwork running through it in places. He leads them up a set of stairs and into an area that looks to be a bit better repaired; a gate blocks their path before he holds up a card, resulting in a beep and the gate sliding open to permit access. Once inside, it opens up to a path that places them on top of a high wall, overlooking several houses - which appear newer than the ruins - and a set of stairs leading down to the cobblestone street. The other side seems to overlook where they've come from.

"So, as I said, there's been this huge number of Heartless around lately, way more than what we're used to dealing with. We think that there's someone or something summoning them or making them, and that something is pretty close to here. We've checked the one Heartless factory we know of already, but that's still dead. All we can really do is follow the trail of Heartless back to the source; we've got a general direction but not enough fighters to both keep the Heartless out of town and go after the source. We were hoping that you could help us out; we've got supplies as I mentioned, and can help get you offworld if you give us enough time.

You know, this whole thing with drop-ins happening again reminds me of old times. . . Not good times, overall, but I met a friend during them. Maybe you'll run into him at some point."

• Upvote 5

"Well, that is certainly a bit of helpful information. It's good to know even a tiny bit more about our enemies. Still, do you have any idea why we were summoned here?"

Well, in the original message, there was a request for aid. Perhaps we're simply here to fight against these creatures? In that case, it would be ideal to deal with the source...

Edmond, nearly twisting his ankle as he ascended the stair well, grimaced.

"Ahg. Don't mind me...this heartless factory you speak of. Would that be the decrepit ruins of the castle which we saw earlier? Or is that something else?"

"I would actually like to hear about that; it might help pass the time".

The grey cloaked man stares at the ruins in awe, and he looks visibly excited as the gate slides open, he unsteadily steps out of his flying platform as it seemed impossible for it to have fitted inside the stairway, as he ascended the stairs he checked his pockets, but he failed to find any aspirin, not like it would do anything to help, the pommel of the sword was unsurprisingly solid, and the grey cloaked man hoped he would be able to find a nice and comfy bed soon, and a doctor that can use non leech based medicine.

After hearing Leon's speech; the grey cloaked man replied with

"So I'm assuming that you want us to follow the trail of heartless to it's inevitably bloody conclusion? how many supplies can you actually spare? There seems to be slightly less than two dozen people in our group, and I fear that your village might not have enough for all of us"

Edited by Cronos5010

This selfish ass. Jesse rolls his eyes as the mad scientist spoke. *sighed* Humans, they tend to do something only if it benefits them. "i'm starting to question your priorities doc, I say lets resolve the problem first before worrying about that" The angel said as his halo turns into a fiery orange, almost in a blaze annoyed by this cloaked man's words.

The grey cloaked man replied to Jezhreal's comment with.

"Is it such a sin to think of the logistics of our group? While I am very grateful for the safe haven he has brought us to, I simply want to know if his village can cope with the burden of so many newcomers; an army marches on it's stomach after all, and if all goes well we won't be here long".

"So Sir Leon; I thank you for your hospitality, but do you know if there are any chemists in this town? Or a competent doctor? We encountered a young man earlier, and his wounds seemed rather extensive, and it might be wise to leave the unconscious man in the care of a professional"

It That Embraces looks out over the ruined city- and the not so ruined city that it surrounds. This is the fortress where this area's denizens defend themselves from the local monsters? Hmm. For a last bastion, it seems... sub-optimal. An important thing, for it is also their home, if she is not mistaken.

She may not be She Who Was, nor a veteran of the war that ended her, but she still knows a thing or two about fortification.

With a sharp motion, she turns to Leon and begins to speak. Telepathy worked well with Eon, so she repurposes that particular art, her maternal voice turned into something sharper, like a finely honed blade. (That the others will not hear her is no great loss. Her companions are merely passing through, after all. It is those who live here who must defend it.)

"You are under siege, are you not? These defenses, they could be improved. The ruins around you provide shelter for enemies and obstruct your line of sight. As you are already short on manpower, thus precluding moving your defenses further out, I would suggest you clear the ruins out to give better angles for projectiles and artillery. The walls could be reinforced with materials thus gathered, or they could be used to make weapons and armor - or perhaps autonomous defenses?"

It is, honestly, a suboptimal speech. She may pretend to be a general, but she is no general; she cannot guide them on the finer details of defensive tactics, or forge them into many times more than the sum of their parts under her unyielding command. She may know of fortification, but she is no siege engineer; she cannot design optimal positions of guards and siege engines, or build living walls of the Mother's near-impenetrable skin. She understands the need for supplies, but she does not study logistics; she cannot show them the best ways to make use of their supplies, she cannot turn water into wine or conjure rations for an army.

It will do for now, nonetheless.

She hides the unconscious (and definitely not wounded because HEALING) man behind her back while she speaks. It helps preserve her image, which is actually rather important here.

Edited by Twei
  • Upvote 1

...isrii...

Looking, staring, gazing...

Visrii...

Ripping, shouting, crying

Visrii!

Stumbling, running, drowning...

Suddenly he was wretched out of the pitch black and thrown into a cascade of light and colour. Yet again. He gasped and stumbled, falling from someone's grasp. His mind hurriedly pieced together the world. He was following a group. He fell over. He got knocked out. Now somehow he had fallen from something, someone rather, and he was now in the dirt again, in all his blazing glory. Wait - now he was within the group! He quickly got back up again, and instinctively brandished his staff defensively, cloak and crystal instantly crackling dangerously with energy. His sharp amber eyes registered the entities in the vicinity - grey cloak, metal golem, haloed man, a white figure - too many! He could feel old wounds in his arms starting to open, but now wasn't time for caution. There were 10 or more potential enemies and restraint was definitely not befitting.

Edited by AGuyPassingThrough

The grey cloaked man turned, slowly to face the bloodied man, he raised his hands to the air in an attempt to show that he means no harm, he made sure to try and not make any sudden movements, and he made a gesture at Leon to try and indicate 'hold on for a moment'.

He noticed that the man was clutching his staff, he noticed the sharp looking blade on it's end, he was distracted by it, off all the possible ways the man could wound him with it, and in the end he only managed to say.

"...Um, Hello?"

So that's what the buzzing sound is from earlier, Jesse thought to himself as he glares at the man with the crackling staff who recently just woke up from his misfortune.

"Now, now... don't do something that you might regret, i can assure you we meant you no harm, you suffer quite a concussion and you're fortunate that we found you before something else does, Now put that thing away before you take an eye out and state your name stranger" The angel asked the cloak man.

Edited by Ragnar

He looked at the first entity that spoke up, scanning what appeared to be a man in strange but plain clothes. Grey cloak, no noticeable armour. Hands up, that would buy him about 0.5 seconds if either party was to attack. No weapons, except for a book. Mage, perhaps, but he will most likely kill him before he could do anything harmful.

His eyes moved onto the next - okay, some young human girl wielding a shield and spear. His halberd most likely could take care of her shield if the others didn't intervene. Again, she wasn't acting hostile like the previous man, but it didn't convince him to lower his guard.

Instead, he gripped his staff tightly and took the time to align his lighting shield to front-load, where most of the party was. "And who the hell are you?" Visrii demanded, ignoring anyone's questions.

The grey cloaked man relaxed a bit as the others appeared to back him up, he no longer imagined the stranger brutally murdering him and moving on to strike another down, he now imagined eating a bowl of hot soup while a masked man sang in the background, it was quite an odd thing to be thinking of.

"He's right you know, we mean you no harm; you took quite a fall down there, there was a bit of blood, and your nose seemed a bit askew, but we took care of that problem, and I had wanted to leave you in the care of a doctor once we entered the town, my name is Solomon by the way."

Edited by Cronos5010

The grey cloaked man relaxed a bit as the others appeared to back him up, he no longer imagined the stranger brutally murdering him and moving on to strike another down, he now imagined eating a bowl of hot soup while a masked man sang in the background, it was quite an odd thing to be thinking of.

"He's right you know, we mean you no harm; you took quite a fall down there, there was a bit of blood, and your nose seemed a bit askew, but we took care of that problem, and I had wanted to leave you in the care of a doctor once we entered the town, my name is Solomon by the way."

Visrii scoffed at the grey cloaked man as he quickly registered the haloed man into his stance. "Yeah, right. 'We mean you no harm'" He said in a mocking voice as he adjusted his staff to decapitate the man. "You know what happened to the last guy who said that? His head never quite managed to make it back to his body afterwards." He scowled at the others as he watched them turn to him. "Don't step any closer, it ain't gonna end pretty for any of us."

The grey cloaked man sighed, and he mumbled something underneath his breath, and he launched a single book at the stranger's chest.

Visrii quickly side-stepped out of the book's way, the book harmlessly landing behind him. Weak. Either this mage is extremely impotent at attacking or it is a testing shot. Latter, most likely, but the former was reassuring. Could still take out at least one. "Right, say 'we mean you no harm' again and I will make sure to have your head meet the other guy's head real soon." He charged up a bolt and hurled it against the grey cloaked man. Testing shot, but still could kill if caught off guard.

"Correction, I mean you some harm" the grey cloaked man notices the slight glow and generates a wall of books.

The bolt harmlessly dissipated against the sudden wall of books that sprung out in front of the grey cloaked man. Strange magic, never seen before. Still, it was nothing more than the many arcane shields he had encountered. "And I mean you a lot of harm." Visrii retorted as he rounded around the wall and closed in on his enemy. If this man meant anything, his corpse would have to do the talking for him.

"Then there's no use holding back", the grey cloaked man fires the wall at the stranger in a classic formation; first the lower half would go for the legs...

Edited by Cronos5010