[OOC / Sign Ups Closed] Lightgivers - Volume 1: A Feeling

anethia

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have reworked Rames Lumen to give some more indepth description on how it actually functions as well as make it easier for myself to work with in the long run, given I think the original draft, which was created at about 3am mind you, was a bit... meh in hindsight.

Here is the revised, far more concise and thought out version which is already edited into her sheet:

Lumen:

Rame's Lumen, in technical terms, allows for the artificial creation, manipulation, and sustaining of combustive force through the conversion of sonic energy produced by the subject. Put in laymen's terms, she can both make and control fire using sound. Various aspects of the sound provided affect the properties of the Fire that is born from her ability, such as the pitch, tempo, resonance, etc affecting the speed, intensity, and ease of control over the fire. A general rule of thumb however, is that the more Rhythmic the sound, the easier it will be for Rame to focus it, and thus the more efficiently it can be used to create fire- as a direct result, Musically inclined acts such as singing, chanting, playing instruments, etc prove to be the most effective method of wielding her ability. simpler means such as humming, whistling, talking, clapping, stomping, etc. are still capable of being used, but often will result in less intense, shorter lived flames in comparison to those wrought of music, due to lacking in rhythm and Rame being unable to as effectively convert them.
In general, the intensity of her flames and the level of control Rame can exert over them are mainly controlled by the frequency and tempo of the sound, with her emotional state having some degree of factor as well, though mattering only about half as much.
Lower pitched, Slower Paced sounds and calmer emotions will create flames that are weaker in comparison to higher ones, but are far more easily controlled and cost less Lumen to sustain, making them well suited for tasks such as forming constructs, branding scripts and symbols into surfaces, creating light spectacles, etc. Higher Pitched, Fasted paced sounds and more aggressive dispositions meanwhile will create flames of considerably greater power, but at the cost of less control and more Lumen being needed to keep them up, making them suited for overtly destructive such as infernal storms of dancing chaos or raw blasts and bursts of flames.
Her lumen can also affect naturally created, or rather, mundane fires up to a medium size as well, though she is unable to do the same feat of seizing command with Fires directly wielded by fellow lightgivers. She can only create flames from sound which she personally creates however; ambient background noises and other such outside audio is utterly useless for the task. Likewise, simply playing a tune or sound in her head will not work to create flame either, as though she may be able to focus using said method, there would still be a lack of tangible sound for her Lumen to work with.
Given the nature of her lumen, Rame naturally possesses an heightened body temperature as well as an incredibly high resistance and tolerance to heat, protecting from both her own flames and any created by outside sources.

It is mostly the same, the only real changes being that she can conjure flame from sound in general now, not just necessarily music, though note said sound now has to be personally created by her, rather than her being able to potentially use outside sources like before. Another one is that simply thinking about music does not work, even to make dim flames, like... Period. Because of the revised and more concise workings of how her fires are produced, they actually need tangible sound as fuel, not just the wistful thought of it.

I am extremely sorry for not getting a post up yet. I would of got one up last night but I fell asleep. I will try to get something up when I get home today before I leave again but if not I will get one up late tonight.

relating to that, is it possible for someone to pick up a weapon partway through?

Run it through me first, but apart from that, yes.

I am extremely sorry for not getting a post up yet. I would of got one up last night but I fell asleep. I will try to get something up when I get home today before I leave again but if not I will get one up late tonight.

No problem!

I have reworked Rames Lumen to give some more indepth description on how it actually functions as well as make it easier for myself to work with in the long run, given I think the original draft, which was created at about 3am mind you, was a bit... meh in hindsight.

Here is the revised, far more concise and thought out version which is already edited into her sheet:

Lumen:

Rame's Lumen, in technical terms, allows for the artificial creation, manipulation, and sustaining of combustive force through the conversion of sonic energy produced by the subject. Put in laymen's terms, she can both make and control fire using sound. Various aspects of the sound provided affect the properties of the Fire that is born from her ability, such as the pitch, tempo, resonance, etc affecting the speed, intensity, and ease of control over the fire. A general rule of thumb however, is that the more Rhythmic the sound, the easier it will be for Rame to focus it, and thus the more efficiently it can be used to create fire- as a direct result, Musically inclined acts such as singing, chanting, playing instruments, etc prove to be the most effective method of wielding her ability. simpler means such as humming, whistling, talking, clapping, stomping, etc. are still capable of being used, but often will result in less intense, shorter lived flames in comparison to those wrought of music, due to lacking in rhythm and Rame being unable to as effectively convert them.
In general, the intensity of her flames and the level of control Rame can exert over them are mainly controlled by the frequency and tempo of the sound, with her emotional state having some degree of factor as well, though mattering only about half as much.
Lower pitched, Slower Paced sounds and calmer emotions will create flames that are weaker in comparison to higher ones, but are far more easily controlled and cost less Lumen to sustain, making them well suited for tasks such as forming constructs, branding scripts and symbols into surfaces, creating light spectacles, etc. Higher Pitched, Fasted paced sounds and more aggressive dispositions meanwhile will create flames of considerably greater power, but at the cost of less control and more Lumen being needed to keep them up, making them suited for overtly destructive such as infernal storms of dancing chaos or raw blasts and bursts of flames.
Her lumen can also affect naturally created, or rather, mundane fires up to a medium size as well, though she is unable to do the same feat of seizing command with Fires directly wielded by fellow lightgivers. She can only create flames from sound which she personally creates however; ambient background noises and other such outside audio is utterly useless for the task. Likewise, simply playing a tune or sound in her head will not work to create flame either, as though she may be able to focus using said method, there would still be a lack of tangible sound for her Lumen to work with.
Given the nature of her lumen, Rame naturally possesses an heightened body temperature as well as an incredibly high resistance and tolerance to heat, protecting from both her own flames and any created by outside sources.

It is mostly the same, the only real changes being that she can conjure flame from sound in general now, not just necessarily music, though note said sound now has to be personally created by her, rather than her being able to potentially use outside sources like before. Another one is that simply thinking about music does not work, even to make dim flames, like... Period. Because of the revised and more concise workings of how her fires are produced, they actually need tangible sound as fuel, not just the wistful thought of it.

No objections here.

Hot damn this took a long time, but I've finished sprucing up Rame's backstory... fixed it up quite a bit, imo. It's at least a hell of a lot better and up to my standards than the original draft...

Now... I just need to stop fucking making character backstories in the middle of the night when I'm running on fumes...but there's a fat chance of that ever happening...

So, as a heads up, I'll be leaving for a college visit tomorrow morning and likely won't be able to post until Sunday night at the earliest. If you feel it's necessary, you have permission to bunny Hassar in the meantime, or just delay getting him involved until the third fight or something.

Tlzqx9N.png

HELLO, IT IS SHIRI! EVERY TIME A MAJOR BATTLE OCCURS, OR ONE BETWEEN 3+ PEOPLE, I'LL BE DRAWING UP A HANDY MAP OUTLINING THE BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE AREA ALONG WITH CONDITIONS. THIS IS TO HELP MAKE THINGS MUCH MORE CLEAR.

AS FOR THE BATTLE SYSTEM, I'M GIVING YOU GUYS THE WHEEL. YOU'RE BEING TRUSTED TO NOT GODMOD AND SUCH. REMEMBER:

YOU ARE NOVICES WITH LUMEN. YOU CANNOT SPAM IT WHENEVER YOU DAMN WELL PLEASE.

YOU ARE NOVICES AT BATTLING PROFESSIONALLY. YOU DO NOT KNOW EVERY TECHNIQUE AND HOW TO COUNTER ANYTHING THROWN AT YOU.

YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT THINGS, BUT WITH HUMBLE BEGINNINGS.

WITH THAT SAID, GO BEAT EACH OTHER UP

also if you dare to mock my amazing drawing skills, you will be removed from this plane of existence for even THINKING about hurting my feelings. for shame.

kenny, you realize that that's not at all how capacitance works, right? The electricity running through your body would be causing your nerves to fire uncontrollably, resulting in spasms and a lot of pain with potential damage to the muscles involved. The fact that you've made yourself conductive would only protect you from electrical burns, and would actually make this worse for you; your character is at risk of his heart being stopped at the moment, not nonchalantly shrugging off the attack.

I've altered my Post. However, nerves function on conductivity, not capacitance, so whether or not he spasms depends on whether or not steel conducts electricity better than neurons. Since I've been having a hard time figuring that one out, I'd like to ask everyone out there to try to help me find out this detail. I think that steel is more conductive, though.

Edited by K_H

I've altered my Post. However, nerves function on conductivity, not capacitance, so whether or not he spasms depends on whether or not steel conducts electricity better than neurons. Since I've been having a hard time figuring that one out, I'd like to ask everyone out there to try to help me find out this detail. I think that steel is more conductive, though.

i mean, you haven't made yourself a capacitor, I thought that was clear.

a quick search doesn't bring up much on nerves specifically, but gray matter is much, much less conductive than steel, so I would estimate nerves as being less so as well.

Furthermore, you haven't just affected your nerves; your entire body is more conductive.

My sheet for my character.

Character Name: Karen Marcus

Appearance:

Usually wears xyr long blonde hair down to xyr waist, rarely tying it in anyway, though that’s mainly because xe rarely has reason to. Rather pale skin tone from lack of time spent in the sun. Born with a blue set of pupils.

Wears a set of prescription glasses for xyr near-sighted eyes. The glasses have a black frame with rectangular lens. Usually has them on at all times, barring a few specific situations where wearing them would be annoying, such as sleeping or showering. Around xyr neck is a light blue heart-shaped pendant over their clothes, a gift from a friend.

Xe tends to wear layers, since xe can easily shed them whenever necessary. Xe usually wears a dark brown cropped jacket over xyr sleeveless light grey blouse. On her wrists are light black wristbands. Xe likes to wear long black formal jeans with brown loafers.

Tied to xyr belt is a small pouch that could fit in their palm. The pouch is a Lumen-enchanted Bag able to hold an infinite amount of a single type of item, such as holding 100 and more iron ingots, 100 and more gold coins, or 100 and more battleships, but keeps a size a bit smaller than the first copy of the item. What’s inside Karen’s? Lots of decently-sized rocks.

Xe can usually be seen with a rather sizeable book, cover about 12 inches tall and 10 inches wide, with pages about 11.5 inches tall and 9.5 inches wide. The silver front cover has a brown border, with an image of a simple golden star, around 8 inches in diameter. The book is a journal for Karen to write about xyr dreams, doubling as a compendium for Karen’s Nightmares.

Personality: An intelligent child with a large academic knowledge. Despite years of academic excellence, Karen lost an appreciation for hard work, becoming lax in xyr life, especially with the ability to command Nightmares to do xyr work. Xe loves to find time to sleep, preferring to hide xemself away, rather than talk to others.

If one were to talk to them, Karen can be off-putting. Distrustful and rude, xe sends people away with xyr words. Despite this, xe does enjoy the company of xyr own Nightmares, Alison being on of xyr closest companions. Sadly, xyr Nightmares aren’t exactly the best at conflicting with xem, since most of their personalities comes from xyr mind.

Backstory:

A young girl from Medulla, trained in some of the best schools in the land. Before their rather lethargic personality, they were a studious, hardworking girl that loved having friends with them at all time. When they were granted their abilities in Lumen at the age of 14, they were excited to learn how to use them. However, upon their first time activating REMquiem, an accident occurred. Days, weeks, months, years passed. They awoke in a hospital bed, learning that REMquiem was too powerful at the time, and was faced with a 2-year long sleep.

In that time, their friends had moved on, thinking that Karen would never wake up again. When they saw their again, they rarely spoke to them, as if Karen was a stranger. Karen didn’t want to accept this, and found respite in their dreams, where they can create a world they prefer. Sadly, this came with more focus on their sleeping than their studying, and rarely did they ever end up staying awake during their lessons.

Lumen (Nightmare Summoner):

Karen’s Lumen allows xem to summon Nightmares, creatures made from their dreams that serve their will to fight for them. While they can be active at any time, Karen is able to put themself into a comatose state, coined “REMquiem” by them, allowing their Nightmares to grow stronger. In this state, they can take over the mind of a Nightmare, and use their body as their own.

They are able to tie their consciousness to them, allowing them to share their experiences, as well as their memories. Theoretically, through use of this power, they are able to quickly learn to fight as if an expert, however they lack the muscle memory, which to be able make good use of the knowledge. While extremely useful in speeding up training and learning new experiences, their usual use of this is just to let their sleep in class while their Nightmares do all the learning for xem…

Recurring Nightmares: While Karen’s Nightmares can be anything, Karen does have a few Nightmares that tend to appear more often than other. These tend to be the ones they have formed a bond with the most.

Renka: Renka cannot think for themself. This is because Renka’s job is to house Karen’s consciousness while they are in REMquiem, allowing them to communicate with allies as they sleep. They are identical to Karen in appearance, except for having taking a purple color to xyr hair. Karen’s usual use of this Nightmare is just to let their sleep in class while Renka does all the learning…

Being Karen’s secondary body, her combat abilities are just as good as xyrs. While not usually equipped with xyr own weapon, upon summoning xe takes Karen’s slingshot, and uses it as xyr own. While not under REMquiem, Karen is able to instead simply give commands through mental links, but due to the difficulty in doing so, as well as no real reason to do so, Karen usually just sticks to leaving Renka dormant in her mind when not in REMquiem.

Eric: One of Karen’s more beloved Nightmares, Eric the Spider, specifically a black widow. While Karen is awake, Eric can be seen on their body, usually on their shoulder or on top of their head. Relatively harmless, though, unless Karen wants to put some poison in you for whatever reason. However, while Karen is in REMquiem, Eric can grow in size, big enough to carry the sleeping Karen to keep their safe while their other Nightmares battle. Sadly, Karen uses him for carrying xem around every now and then.

Alison: The last of Karen’s closest Nightmares. Alison is one of Karen’s most autonomous Nightmares, having a personality all of his own. Don’t let his autonomy fool you, his entire being was crafted by Karen’s mind, from his appearance to his personality. A kindhearted butler with a large focus on serving his Master. Despite his attachment to his Karen, he rather enjoys giving time to help others. A boy with short blonde hair, dressed in attire fitting of a servant.

His combat skills are at least somewhat better than Karen’s, due to years of acting as xyr guardian. As xyr Nightmare, he is able to pull mundane weapon (Swords, Lances, Axes, etc.) from Karen’s dreams, in a similar manner to xyr Nightmare Summoning. Despite his large scope of weapons, he can’t wield many of them, preferring to stick to his weapon of choice: the shield. While he certainly can’t throw shields in a boomerang-like fashion, he is able to easily pull new ones from dreams, if needed.

Weapon of Choice: A slingshot, handcrafted from trees created by Lightgivers with abilities in plant-related Lumen works. Because of this, the weapon was able to stand the test of time, and still find use as Karen’s personal weapon. As for ammunition, Karen likes to collect decently-sized rocks whenever they’re outside, and has a pouch for them.

Decided to add a few more details to my character sheet, since my previous one felt rather barebones. I'll probably add a few things later, but for now, this is the edited one.

Edited by InnocentBoy

I'm going to be a bit honest. Leo figuring out that Aria is a Gravity Manipulator from that three second display seems a bit metagamey to me. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be going through like 10 different possibilities in my head of which gravity manipulation would only be one.

Jev's sustained only a minor dent or two and a bit of a burn from being tossed around using electricity and magnetism due to being made of metal; he's just recovering from pain. He's still able to fight.

Edited by K_H