Would you be interested in a procedurally generated pokemon game?

I just realized you're the same person who improved the pokemon reborn pixel graphics AND are working on this game.....I am not a smart man.

Also yay progress.

Yep, this game will use my texture improvements by default. That's why the screenshots I've posted of battles have smooth textures. Here's another screenshot of a battle to show it. :)

N6q8eDV.png

I also recently added a forum signature for myself and modified the first post in this thread to direct people to the end of the thread to see recent changes. I would change my forum avatar but I haven't thought of a good one yet. Is there a way to modify the title of this thread?

Edited by KingCoin

Fixed a bug which caused all moves that were used in battle and had a STAB bonus to appear as being "super effective" in battle regardless of whether or not they actually were.

Added the following pokemon to the game:

• Treecko
  • Grovyle
  • Sceptile
  • Torchic
  • Combusken
  • Blaziken
  • Mudkip
  • Marshtomp
  • Swampert
  • Poochyena
  • Mightyena
  • Zigzagoon
  • Linoone

I'm working on making it so that your pokemon feint when they get to 0 hp and need to be switched out. Here's the latest issue I've run into:

Gx4g0Zi.png

As you can see, now that I've switched it from having a "Switch" button to a "Send out" button when your pokemon has feinted, I've run into the issue of my buttons being to small to fit the text. I need to either make the entire pokemon switching UI wider and manually scale all the textures involved to the new width or use a smaller phrase on the button that would occupy less space but still convey the same meaning. I haven't decided how to fix it yet.

Also, I've just been editing my posts when I make new changes instead of making new posts for each change. I only make a new post when there is a response to my latest post. This way I avoid cluttering the thread and I'm not putting new information in posts that aren't the latest post which might not be seen.

Edited by KingCoin

Okay, so I added some things, I fixed some things. It's been a few days since my last post because of the website updating and stuff so I'll try to write down the things I remember doing since then:

• Added pokedex descriptions for all of the 264 pokemon currently available in the game.
  • Added data for the height of every one of the 264 pokemon currently available in the game.
  • Added data for the weight of every one of the 264 pokemon currently available in the game.
  • Added footprint images for every one of the 264 pokemon currently available in the game.
  • Added a lot of the code needed for catching pokemon. It is possible to capture the opponent pokemon at the moment however I haven't added a way to choose to use a pokeball yet so the only way to do it is through modifying the code at the moment.
  • The player's pokemon now evolve by reaching their proper corresponding evolution levels.
  • When your pokemon feints it now prompts you to switch to another pokemon.
  • When your entire team feints you are told that you blacked out, you are then teleported to the poke center in the town you visited most recently. If you haven't visited any towns yet then you will be taken to the starting town. Your pokemon are fully healed.
  • Fixed a problem where the text on the bottom of the screen was overlapping the screen for switching pokemon making it very difficult to see what you were switching to if it was at the bottom of the screen.
  • Fixed a bug where your pokemon would be displayed as it's shiny variant briefly after being struck in combat by any opponent that happened to be shiny.
  • Added some text scaling and wrapping code for areas of text like the pokedex descriptions to prevent large amounts of text from extending outside of it's intended area and onto parts of the screen where it might not have been visible.

Here are a few more screenshots to show the new screen I spent so much time getting working. This is the screen that appears shortly after capturing a new pokemon:

yeyhOaG.pngxQv0w8a.png

Edited by KingCoin

I've been working on the code for terrain generation recently. I realized that it would be difficult to realistically transition between areas smoothly with the existing terrain generation so I decided to rework it's code. I'm going to make it so that each area is seamlessly connected. If you walk off the edge of one area it will instantly load you into the adjacent area. Here's how it is at the moment:

bvP3h81.png

As you can see, I've managed to get it so each individual level is loaded side by side. The current issue is that each level doesn't connect properly to it's adjacent levels. What I'll be working on next is making them all interconnected in such a way that you won't even notice the borders between levels and the entire world will behave like one giant level. After that I'll probably work on adding more biome variety to the areas. I have final exams coming up shortly though so progress might slow down a bit for the near future.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2016 at 1:59 AM, DreamblitzX said:

As always, progress on this is astounding! well done man.

Thank you. :)

• Made a major change to the way the world is stored in the code. This will make it easier to write the rest of the new terrain generation code however it broke a lot of things because it was such a major change.
  • Fixed a bug with the new terrain generation code that caused almost all tiles to render with the wrong orientation, missing animations, missing textures, or otherwise screwed up.
  • Fixed a bug with the new terrain generation code that caused the entire game screen to turn black permanently after moving the player down any distance at all.
  • The world map is now centered on the screen when displayed. (It used to be in the upper left corner and some parts weren't even on the screen or visible as a result).
  • Made changes to improve the game's performance/FPS. (This appears to have sped up the character's  walking animation quite a bit so I might have to slow him down to his intended speed).
  • Introduced a bug where the player now has an afterimage behind them when they're moving.
  • Disabled the old terrain generation code  because it will not work properly with my changes to how terrain is stored. It will have to be modified or rewritten to make it work with the new system.

I've done a bit more work since I posted this. Levels now connect to each other. Here's a "map" of a recently generated world. I still need to add in all the trees and mountains/water etc but I've gotten all the roads connecting levels generating now. Each red square is an individual level/area. I might tweak it a bit still.

IdKoa3I.png

Edited by KingCoin
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I can't wait to play this game! Finally a Pokemon game i wont get bored of XD

EDIT:I just noticed (sorry if this comes off as rude that's not my intention) a grammatical error in one of your screenshots. You used "feint" instead of "faint". I would normally just leave this alone, but this shows up in the game so often that I had to say something.

Spoiler

Feint: make a deceptive or distracting movement, especially during a fight.
"Adam feinted with his right and then swung a left"

Faint: a sudden loss of consciousness.

Edited by kalzone678

On 1/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, kalzone678 said:

I can't wait to play this game! Finally a Pokemon game i wont get bored of XD

EDIT:I just noticed (sorry if this comes off as rude that's not my intention) a grammatical error in one of your screenshots. You used "feint" instead of "faint". I would normally just leave this alone, but this shows up in the game so often that I had to say something.

Reveal hidden contents

Feint: make a deceptive or distracting movement, especially during a fight.
"Adam feinted with his right and then swung a left"

Faint: a sudden loss of consciousness.

I'm hoping to make more progress on this project soon. I've been really busy with classes so I wasn't able to work on it during the last couple weeks. I've had a lot of time to think about how to do some of the complex terrain generation code though and I have some ideas now so hopefully that will pay off.

I'm glad you pointed out the spelling mistake, things like that are easy to do and sometimes difficult to find. I'll try to fix that soon. I'm sure there are a few I haven't found yet, it's hard to avoid when you write tens of thousands of lines of code like I've done for this game already.

I've done some more work for terrain generation. What I've added is some code to determine the order in which the player will find HM's in a generated world. This is important because what HM's you have available to you will affect what sorts of obstacles you will face next. An example of this would be that the player should have access to the strength HM before they reach any boulders that would prevent them from getting to the place where they obtain the strength HM. The way it is implemented right now, this is how the order is determined for when you get each HM:

1. The first 3 HMs are randomly chosen out of these possibilities {Cut, Surf, Strength, Flash, Rock Smash}.

• If the player gets access to Surf as one of these HMs then Dive and Waterfall will be added to the list of possible HMs that can be found next.

2. After the player has found 3 HMs the next HM they find is guaranteed to be the HM Fly. (This is because the world is very large so I feel it will become necessary before late game)

3. The order that the remaining HMs is found in is randomly determined however Dive and Waterfall are only available after finding surf.

If the first HM you get is flash then the terrain should generate with a cave or something that you need to pass through which requires flash to be able to see, If the first HM you get is cut then it will generate such that you need to cut down a tree somewhere in order to progress, etc.

I've also fixed the spelling error that Principality pointed out to me.

Edited by KingCoin

Today I reworked the world map. It now looks like this:

gFeRsQC.png.gYbV47c.png

The red is where you start. Blue is a town. Numbers are area levels.

I'm still trying to decide how to determine which areas you will need HMs for and how to make backtracking less pointless or more rewarding. At the moment you can kind of choose which way to go when you start but you might eventually reach a dead end because there is still only one "correct" path to take which leads to the highest level area.

Edited by KingCoin

Nice,  its update day! xD

Apart from this,  think about it.  What you say is essentially,  like this:
Progress >  Find Cut tree > Find Cut tm > continue

or
Progress > Find Cut TM > Find Cut tree > continue

sounds a bit too linear doesnt it? it would make not much different if the tree didnt exist and the hm was not needed at all.

How about u add some sort of choice in this?   For example u reach a point where you are blocked by obstacles, like in one route there is a body of water, in another there is a cut tree and in another  a strength stone.  But if u choose any hm, the others will become unavailable until quite later. So thre will be some sort of choice, or dillema  in the mix.

flash caves and the need for flash should burn somewhere in the deepest parts of hell or in other words, it not even an obstacle, and just creates annoyance

Edited by DemICE

Maybe make different branches of the map "gated" by certain HM's, so the player has to backtrack to a different area/branch to find the HM that "opens" that "gate." To keep level curve consistent, you could make the levels of routes beyond those "gates" level scale follow the level of the city where you found the "key" HM instead of the map before the "gate."

A simple 1-dimensional example of what it would look like:

[Surf gym] --15-- --10-- --5-- [Starting Town] --5-- [Surf route] --20-- (so on so forth...)

The route after the Surf Route would start scaling off of levels after the Surf Gym, since that's realistically what level the players would be at at that time. This could work in several different places, and would really help players get a full experience of the entire map, assuming every main "branch" of the map was gated by a certain HM that would require traveling a different branch.

Just my 2 cents, it's your game and I don't know how much stress this would make for you, involving your mapping/map level algorithms you've made, all very well done might I add. I don't want to pressure you with things you don't want in your game.

Best of luck!

i don't feel like cut should be required to go trough the game, maybe it could lead to alternate paths or hidden items/pokemon, but requiring an hm to reach a gym seems backwards, i can understand surf for example, as its vital in pretty much every pokemon game, and it isnt a bad move on its own, but forcing the player to waste a move/pokemon slot for cut and rocksmash doesnt feel right

12 hours ago, 2tousent said:

i don't feel like cut should be required to go trough the game, maybe it could lead to alternate paths or hidden items/pokemon, but requiring an hm to reach a gym seems backwards, i can understand surf for example, as its vital in pretty much every pokemon game, and it isnt a bad move on its own, but forcing the player to waste a move/pokemon slot for cut and rocksmash doesnt feel right

The Moves vs Items argument is as old as pokemon, The items= Instead of using cut you carry an axe, Instead of surf you use a surfboard, Instead of Flash...a flashlight. etc.

They're both annoying to use, but necessary for the game because of the pacing. HMs are a necessary thing unless you use the item replacement which are still annoying but save the moveslots.

It doesn't feel right of course but you need something to keep you from going directly to the level 100 areas and getting rekt by them. 

Also yay progress <3