Would you be interested in a procedurally generated pokemon game?

I've made the following improvements:

• Routes now spawn with patches of grass.
  • Routes now can have slightly more complex layouts
  • The game window can now be resized to any size without issues. Making the window larger does not scale the game's textures, it simply increases the distance around the player that you can see.
  • Added the code for the player's movement in the over world. The player is currently represented by a pink rectangle with a blue outline. You can use the arrow keys to move around the levels. Previously you could only see the parts of a route that spawned on screen and could not move.
  • I've implemented basic collision detection. You currently can only move to tiles that are the same elevation as the tile at your current position.

I can start posting download links for the latest versions of the game in this thread if people want to try them. I hadn't posted any yet because I figured the game wasn't in any sort of a playable state yet. Currently all you can do is move around using the arrow keys and check out different areas that have been generated by either closing the game and opening it again to generate a new world or by pressing '2' which moves the player to a random area out of the generated world map(which I showcased in some of my earlier posts). You will need to have java installed to be able to run the game.

Here's a few new screenshots, as you can see I haven't fixed the texture issues yet, I know how to do it, it just hasn't been done yet:

r3Hm8gU.png

yBf5mO9.png

Here's one to showcase the fact that you can make the window any size, it doesn't have to be 1920x1080 like in the prior screenshots:

uPIaZRX.png

Edited by KingCoin

This sounds like an epic idea!! I also like what DreamBlitz said earlier about the gyms being independently leveled and you would have to find gyms your level to challenge. It never made sense to me in pokemon games how you just happen to challenge the gyms in an order where they are progressively harder.... Like what about the person that lives in Celedon city and wants to start an adventure? Would they be able to fight against Erika or would they have to travel all the way to pewter and start from there? Also a good idea would be having a chance to find special structures for legendaries. Like finding a mountain with ancient ruins on them like the the Spear Pillar for dialga/palkia or a hidden portal to the distortion world for giratina. But to get the legendaries maybe you have to have a certain item or you have to be strong enough to be considered worthy by them? Idk i'm just rambling now...

This sounds like an epic idea!! I also like what DreamBlitz said earlier about the gyms being independently leveled and you would have to find gyms your level to challenge. It never made sense to me in pokemon games how you just happen to challenge the gyms in an order where they are progressively harder.... Like what about the person that lives in Celedon city and wants to start an adventure? Would they be able to fight against Erika or would they have to travel all the way to pewter and start from there? Also a good idea would be having a chance to find special structures for legendaries. Like finding a mountain with ancient ruins on them like the the Spear Pillar for dialga/palkia or a hidden portal to the distortion world for giratina. But to get the legendaries maybe you have to have a certain item or you have to be strong enough to be considered worthy by them? Idk i'm just rambling now...

Legendaries will have special areas generated for them. Certain legendaries which don't really have an area in the games like Raikou and Latios will be random encounters after some criteria is met. You will only be able to find one of each legendary, You probably won't be able to get them all in one playthrough to encourage trading other players.

I've made the following changes:

• The game now only renders tiles that are visible on the screen. (This improves performance)
  • It is no longer possible to see the edges of a level. Levels are generated with large enough impassible tile borders(like cliffs) that you can never get close enough to the edge to see it. You could still see the border if you played in a resolution larger than 1920x1080.
  • The player now has walking animations.
  • The player is now represented by a squirtle. This is a temporary change that was made to test the code for the player's walking animation. I currently do not have a suitable player sprite, if someone wants to make one so I don't have to do it myself it would be great.
  • Fixed almost all texture issues. There are still a few uncommon circumstances that can cause textures to have issues but they are not very common.
  • Fixed a bug where the player would be teleported to the top left corner of the map after moving their first step in a new level.
  • Fixed a bug where the player would move two tiles instead of one when they started moving after being stationary.
  • The game's rendering system has been upgraded to active rendering using BufferStrategy instead of passive rendering. This eliminates screen tearing issues that previously could occur while moving.
  • Added Godmode for testing purposes. (when toggled movement speed is 20x as fast as normal and collisions with terrain are disabled. This feature will become password protected in the future if it isn't removed altogether.
  • Added the game's name to the top of the game window.

Here's another screenshot in case anyone wants to see it with the fixes to the texture issues and the addition of squirtle:

3qGMZtS.png

Edited by KingCoin

I've just finished writing more than 1,800 additional lines of code. I've made the following changes:

• Added Type mechanics(weaknesses and strengths of different types, STAB multiplier)
  • Added code for the type, name, pokedex number, base stats, IV's, and evolutions of the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex.
  • Modified texture files for efficient use with the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex.

It probably doesn't sound like much but that actually took a lot of time to code. I still intend to make many improvements to terrain generation, I just felt like working on some of the code for the pokemon themselves today.

• Upvote 1

It probably doesn't sound like much but that actually took a lot of time to code. I still intend to make many improvements to terrain generation, I just felt like working on some of the code for the pokemon themselves today.

Been there, done that. I know how hard it is. You're not even using a game engine for yours, whereas I used Unity. I applaud your effort.

Today I wrote the code for the first 100 of the 621 moves available in pokemon. I'm currently planning to get the first 151 pokemon working fully in battle before I add more pokemon to the game and improve level generation code. Different types of pokemon should spawn in different areas and I think having the pokemon in the game will help inspire me to create good areas for the various types to spawn in. Zubat should spawn in caves, Magicarp should be found in small watery areas, slugma should spawn in a volcanic area, etc.

do you plan on having legendary-like spawns for pokemon with hidden abilities like in black and white 2 or are you intending on adding them as regular ones?

I honestly hadn't thought about that. I need to think about it. I could give the hidden abilities to the wandering pokemon I mentioned in an earlier post or give them their own areas to spawn in like hidden grotto's or perhaps some other thing I haven't thought of yet.

I've mostly finished coding all the moves. I also put in the code for determining the gender and stats for the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex. Here's a screenshot showcasing a wild encounter which is a feature I've recently added. It's not perfect but I'm making good progress:

A9XEIOR.png

In case anyone is wondering, I don't intend to keep Charmander as a possible wild encounter. At the moment I'm thinking the normal starters will only be obtainable through more special means, either you pick one when you start and have to trade other players for the others or they might be really rare encounters like 1/500 chance in certain locations.

Getting the game to this point was a lot of work, so far I've written a total of 9,848 lines of code.

Edited by KingCoin

• Global Mods

Whoa man, this is super impressive how fast you are working!

This sounds like an epic idea!! I also like what DreamBlitz said earlier about the gyms being independently leveled and you would have to find gyms your level to challenge. It never made sense to me in pokemon games how you just happen to challenge the gyms in an order where they are progressively harder.... Like what about the person that lives in Celedon city and wants to start an adventure? Would they be able to fight against Erika or would they have to travel all the way to pewter and start from there?

The canonical idea seems to mostly lean towards there being a set order of gyms in the region that you're meant to progress through, but sometimes it's implied (mostly in anime) that the leaders use a different team based on the amount of badges you currently have. the second one would be a cool thing to implement into a game, but a fair bit of work. the thing that I sometimes get confused about it gym teams vs personal teams. for some leaders (usually early ones) it feels like they have a gym team that stays as a set level, and a personal team which they train. this is especially apparent in reborn with leaders like Julia, Florina and Shelly who you fight alongside later in the game where they have stronger pokemon. however, these appear to be the same ones as in their gym team because a) the nicknames of Shellys ones and b? if they had stronger ones they would've used them in the earlier team meteor encounters like deliverance. this means that either a) the early leaders have trained up a bunch, but now their gyms are really hard and how are new challengers meant to beat them? or B) levels are a non-canonical measure of strength thats necessary for game design.

I just finished modifying the 621 textures for the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex so they would always line up with the baseplate they're standing on in battle(circle of grass).

Here's a few more images:

Jo0ILi7.png

Q515a1R.png

J014tz6.png

bIfWaZu.png

lQHxUr9.png

• After posting this I noticed blastoise's hp was wrong, I've fixed that bug now.
Edited by KingCoin

I've made a few more changes:

• It's now possible to run from battles, this uses the same mechanics as the core game series
  • It's now possible to encounter shinies, they will have the normal 1/8192 encounter rate. I've put a system in place to be able to detect if a shiny is legit or hacked, if one is hacked you will not be able to trade it or battle it with other players and it will probably say on it's status page that it isn't legit.
  • Added code for rendering animations. The game can now display animations. (Shiny pokemon sparkling when first encountered with an occasional random sparkle every 1.5 seconds on average is currently the only animation in the game so far).
  • You can now select to fight in battles, this displays your pokemon's available moves with their PP and type displayed in a small area on the bottom right side of the battle screen. Moves which aren't done being coded and will not behave as expected will display a red circle with a line through it next to their name.

Here's another screenshot showing a new feature, in this case it's a shiny encounter:

ilAfPmb.png

Here's a bonus screenshot showing what moves which aren't complete look like in the move selection screen:

bvXZLyK.png

Edited by KingCoin
  • Upvote 1