Would you be interested in a procedurally generated pokemon game?

I've made the following improvements:

• All of the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex now have their associated move pools. (This took 2 days to complete).
  • Pokemon now flicker when a move is used on them if their is no other animation for the move used.

Here's a screenshot showing the player using a Moltres which now has all of the moves it should have at it's level. (Moltres is a pretty high number in the pokedex out of the first 151)

e4mCXZx.png

I've made the following improvements:

• All of the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex now yield proper amounts of experience when defeated.
  • Pokemon can now gain experience and the experience bar is animated to grow when xp is gained.
  • Experience needed for each possible level is now known/coded for the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex.
  • Moves can now be used in battle to deal damage to an opponent. Almost all moves which deal damage and have no other side effects should work properly other than missing animations.
  • Pokemon can now lose hp and feint in battle. The hp bar is animated to decrease at a fixed speed when damage is received instead of instantly changing to reflect the new hp of the pokemon that was damaged.
Edited by KingCoin

i really like how they branch out and have multiple exits now but it feels kinda weird how some exits from the route are located in a small rock like in the 2nd to last picture

Yeah I agree that it's weird having exits spawn in small rocks or a solitary tree like that. It's something that still needs improving.

I've been working on figuring out how to determine which pokemon can be found where. Here's the lists I came up with so far. I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at them and tell me which pokemon they think should/shouldn't be in each list. (this is only for the first 151 pokemon in the pokedex since I haven't added the others to the game yet). The lists don't show the rarity of the respective pokemon because I haven't decided how to implement that yet. The starters that are included in the list will be very rare to find(like 1/500 chance). Legendaries and pokemon you get from fossils or other unique circumstances also aren't included.

Pokemon that can be found in short grass:

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Caterpie
Metapod
Butterfree
Weedle
Kakuna
Beedrill
Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Pidgeot
Rattata
Raticate
Spearow
Fearow
Ekans
Arbok
Pikachu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Nidoran
Nidorina
Nidoran
Nidorino
Vulpix
Jigglypuff
Zubat
Golbat
Oddish
Gloom
Paras
Parasect
Venonat
Venomoth
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck
Golduck
Mankey
Primeape
Growlithe
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Abra
Kadabra
Machop
Machoke
Bellsprout
Weepinbell
Ponyta
Rapidash
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Farfetch'd
Doduo
Dodrio
Grimer
Muk
Ghastly
Haunter
Onix
Drowzee
Hypno
Kingler
Electrode
Cubone
Marowak
Lickitung
Koffing
Weezing
Chansey
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Electabuzz
Ditto
Eevee

Pokemon that can be found in tall grass:

Ivysaur
Charmeleon
Wartortle
Spearow
Fearow
Ekans
Arbok
Pikachu
Vulpix
Oddish
Gloom
Mankey
Primeape
Doduo
Dodrio
Electrode
Exeggcute
Lickitung
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Electabuzz
Pinsir
Tauros

Pokemon that can be found walking in caves:

Rattata
Raticate
Pikachu
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Zubat
Golbat
Paras
Parasect
Venonat
Venomoth
Diglett
Dugtrio
Machop
Machoke
Geodude
Graveler
Slowpoke
Slowbro
Magnemite
Magneton
Seel
Dewgong
Grimer
Muk
Ghastly
Haunter
Onix
Voltorb
Electrode
Cubone
Marowak
Koffing
Weezing
Rhyhorn
Rhydon
Jynx
Magmar
Pinsir
Dratini
Dragonair
Dragonite

Pokemon that can be found while surfing:

Psyduck
Golduck
Poliwag
Poliwhirl
Tentacool
Tentacruel
Seel
Dewgong
Krabby
Kingler
Horsea
Seadra
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu
Magikarp
Gyarados
Lapras

Pokemon that can be found with the old rod:

Magikarp

Pokemon that can be found with the good rod:

Krabby
Kingler
Horsea
Seadra
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu

Pokemon that can be found with the super rod:

Krabby
Kingler
Horsea
Seadra
Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu

I removed the following from possible short grass encounters:

Zubat

Paras

Parasect

Venonat

Venomoth

Diglett

Dugtrio

Onix

Cubone

Marowak

Mr. Mime

Scyther

I haven't decided what to do with the dratini line yet. I want dratini to be rare. It will probably either be a rare encounter while surfing in caves or a rare encounter with the super rod in caves. Lapras will either be a rare encounter while surfing or an event pokemon like a legendary.

Edited by KingCoin

• Global Mods

Seel and Dewgong seem a bit odd at cave encounters to me.....

I'm guessing in later versions there will be more variety of areas to put more appropriate pokemon in, such as snow or volcanic?

Seel and Dewgong seem a bit odd at cave encounters to me.....

I'm guessing in later versions there will be more variety of areas to put more appropriate pokemon in, such as snow or volcanic?

I thought I remembered finding seel and dewgong in a cave in silver/gold version but yeah, I intend to add more area types. The area with moltres/groudon will probably be volcanic, articuno in a snowy area, etc.

• Global Mods

The cave probably would've either had a fair bit of water in it, or been an icy one like ice path.

ok I Just checked bulbapedia, and seel was found in whirl islands in gen 2, which yes, is a cave, but is also one that is underwater and situated in the middle of the ocean.

Ok, I've made modifications to the lists of possible encounters in each type of situation. I added pokemon to some lists, removed them from others, and removed all evolutions from the list. The lists now only contain the first form of the pokemon and the pokemon will be evolved if it is found at a level past it's evolution level. I also added an animation to grass so that it gets smashed down when you step on it and pops back up after you walk off of it.

Here are the new lists in case anyone wants to give their opinion on if they're fine as they are or if something should change:

Pokemon that can be found in short grass:

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Caterpie
Weedle
Pidgey
Rattata
Spearow
Ekans
Pikachu
Sandshrew
Nidoran
Nidoran
Vulpix
Jigglypuff
Oddish
Meowth
Psyduck
Mankey
Growlithe
Poliwag
Abra
Machop
Bellsprout
Ponyta
Slowpoke
Magnemite
Farfetch'd
Doduo
Grimer
Ghastly
Drowzee
Electrode
Lickitung
Koffing
Chansey
Electabuzz
Ditto
Eevee

Pokemon that can be found in tall grass:

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Spearow
Ekans
Pikachu
Vulpix
Oddish
Mankey
Doduo
Electrode
Exeggcute
Lickitung
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Mr. Mime
Scyther
Electabuzz
Pinsir
Tauros

Pokemon that can be found walking in caves:

Rattata
Pikachu
Sandshrew
Zubat
Paras
Venonat
Diglett
Machop
Geodude
Slowpoke
Magnemite
Grimer
Ghastly
Onix
Voltorb
Cubone
Koffing
Rhyhorn
Jynx
Magmar
Pinsir

Pokemon that can be found while surfing:

Psyduck
Poliwag
Tentacool
Seel
Krabby
Horsea
Goldeen
Staryu
Magikarp
Lapras

Pokemon that can be found with the old rod:

Magikarp

Pokemon that can be found with the good rod:

Shellder
Krabby
Horsea
Goldeen
Staryu

Pokemon that can be found with the super rod:

Shellder
Krabby
Horsea
Goldeen
Staryu
Dratini

I also added a new feature to the game which you can see in the top of this screenshot:

cpyCydJ.png

It allows you to easily see if you've encountered all of the pokemon in an area before or if you should keep looking. I'm considering making this feature togglable or translucent. The only issue I currently know of that can occur with it is that if you encounter the same type of pokemon more than 99,999 times the number displayed will be missing the last digit. I don't think this is likely to be a problem. I also plan to make it show a pokeball next to the name of the pokemon if you've captured it before. The pokeball will probably be gold if you've captured one with perfect IV's or sparkle if you've captured a shiny version of the pokemon. I've considered making it show more information but I don't want to clutter the screen too much.

Edited by KingCoin

• Global Mods

Toggleable sounds like a good idea, or maybe you could make it drop down when you hover your mouse in that area of the screen and then retract when you move it away (is it easy to do something like that?)

Added the following:

• Added 49 new pokemon to the game. These are the pokemon corresponding to numbers 152-200 of the national pokedex.
  • Wild encounters show a silver star for each IV they have that's greater than or equal to 20 under their name, The star is gold if the corresponding IV is 31.
  • Modified/created textures for all pokemon up to gen 5 to work with the game and align properly with the baseplate(circle of grass/water/etc) in battle.

Seriously are you a wizard with how much progress you've made on this game.

Yay Updates.

I'm glad you appreciate it. I enjoy doing it and I have a lot of prior experience with coding so I just sit down to work on it for an hour or so, glance at the time, then realize I've been working on it for like 5 hours :)

I'm very good at figuring out how things work/how to do them quickly and on my own. I know exactly how to structure everything before I start so I spend pretty much all my time just adding content rather than trying to fix weird bugs which I'm sure other devs spend a lot of time on.

I apologize for the lack of progress recently. I've been trying to work on adding a new area type but I'm having a lot of issues figuring out/inventing an algorithm to generate it. I don't want to post any screenshots of it until I get it right. I also added some custom water tiles/animations to the game.

• 4 weeks later...

So Is this still going? it looked really cool...

Yeah I'm still going to finish it. Development has temporarily slowed down as a result of me needing to do some non hobby work to be able to pay my bills in real life. I apologize for the lack of recent updates, I'll see if I can spare enough time tomorrow to add some new content for you guys to see.

• Global Mods

No need to apologise, you're doing something awesome by your own choice and still working very quickly compared to most other things! I just asked so I knew whether to keep checking for more updates like I was =).

I've been working on the code for how to generate towns. It currently creates a bunch of connected paths and will add buildings to these paths in the future. The first building I'm going to add the code for is the pokecenter. I'm not finished with it yet though so you'll have to wait for a screenshot.

I've also fixed a few bugs with terrain generation and battles that could cause game crashes.