Would you be interested in a procedurally generated pokemon game?

So far I've done the following:

• Towns now spawn in the world again.
  • Towns are now correctly connected to their adjacent routes. Currently randomized dirt paths connect the routes to a town's (more linear/straight) roads.
  • Added a flashing marker for the player's current position to the map.
  • Battles now display properly again rather than the game just showing you the pokedex entry of your opponent when you entered a battle.
  • Fixed a bug which caused town roads not to generate if route paths already existed in the world and route paths to not generate if town roads already existed in the world.
  • Fixed a bug that made it impossible for the player to walk left or right except in godmode.
  • Fixed a bug where the list of possible encounters at the top of the screen would be cut off if an adjacent route/town other than the one you currently were in was overlapping it on the screen.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the game to believe you were in every area in the world at the same time.
  • Fixed a bug where the list of possible encounters in your area wasn't updating properly when transitioning between areas.

Regarding HM's, there are a number of possible solutions that I've come up with:

• Using an HM such as Strength, Rock Smash, or Cut, could permanantly move or remove the obstacle similar to pouring water on a Snorlax that is blocking your path.
  • HM's could be allowed to be learned as an "outside of battle only" fifth move for a pokemon on your team.
  • The world could spawn such that HM's are only needed for side areas that contained event pokemon or special items.
  • HM's themselves could be key items instead of solely learnable moves.
  • The player could have a follower pokemon in addition to their normal 6 pokemon with the restriction that the follower cannot be used in battle even though it's HM's could be used outside of battle.
  • The game could give you hints about where you should go to look for a needed HM when you tried to interact with an HM-based obstacle and didn't possess the needed HM yet.
  • HM's could be removed from the game entirely. (I'm personally not a fan of this one)

I'm sure there are other ideas for HMs that I haven't thought of yet. I personally haven't decided on one yet but in general I'd like to keep game mechanics as similar to official games as possible. The world generation isn't to a point yet where I can add HM requirements to areas so I'll probably just wait until I'm ready to add HM's to decide.

Here's a few more screenshots showcasing a generated world's map and the corresponding road/path layout of the world:

YNinvg2.pngmW6FjcO.png

Edited by KingCoin

Quick question, if you find the "end path" and find the Elite Four, you still need 8 badges, right? And what about the Gym Leader/E4 teams, would they all be randomized too? Random selection of types, or would it be the same Gym Leaders every time, just in different places?

45 minutes ago, Bazaro said:

Quick question, if you find the "end path" and find the Elite Four, you still need 8 badges, right? And what about the Gym Leader/E4 teams, would they all be randomized too? Random selection of types, or would it be the same Gym Leaders every time, just in different places?

How many badges you will need is still to be determined and could vary between playthroughs. All trainers including gym leaders will be randomized within certain "themes". This hasn't been coded yet but the way a gym leader will be generated will probably be something like this:

1. Pick a random theme (favored type of pokemon for example).

2. Pick some random pokemon from within that theme.

3. Pick some random lines for the leader to say which go with that theme. They might refrence they power of one of their pokemon or their favorite move for example.

4. Generate randomized gym interior that goes with the leader's theme.

5. Add 3-6 trainers on the path to the leader which have a similar theme to the leader.

6. Pick some randomized lines for each of the trainers to say on the path to the leader. (perhaps hints or talking about other trainers in the gym)

Trainers would scale based on the level of their area. They will have slightly more powerful pokemon than the wild pokemon nearby. The elite 4 would be generated in a similar manner to how the leaders are generated.

I've read all of this and it's a dream come true for me. Keep up the good work. My suggestion is that HMs should be used for side areas like you said and the hints are a good idea too. Also, people in towns should have trade offers and some should give you special items when you talk to them like TMs or held items. I'm also hoping TMs will be reusable like the newer games. Maybe 1/7 towns or so could have a department store in them. One thing I didn't like is when you said some areas could only have 2 possible pokemon species in them. I would suggest more variety especially in a game founded on random generation, like maybe 5-10 species in each tile. My final suggestion is that you make better pokeballs only available through apricorns, department stores, or by finding them, and make normal stores only sell pokeballs, and in the areas above level 15 or so, great balls as well. Thanks so much!

6 hours ago, CheezBallz said:

I've read all of this and it's a dream come true for me. Keep up the good work. My suggestion is that HMs should be used for side areas like you said and the hints are a good idea too. Also, people in towns should have trade offers and some should give you special items when you talk to them like TMs or held items. I'm also hoping TMs will be reusable like the newer games. Maybe 1/7 towns or so could have a department store in them. One thing I didn't like is when you said some areas could only have 2 possible pokemon species in them. I would suggest more variety especially in a game founded on random generation, like maybe 5-10 species in each tile. My final suggestion is that you make better pokeballs only available through apricorns, department stores, or by finding them, and make normal stores only sell pokeballs, and in the areas above level 15 or so, great balls as well. Thanks so much!

I'm glad you like it! Positive feedback is always encouraging. Regarding some areas only having 2 species of pokemon in them, Ideally each area would have a minimum of 4 species of pokemon. The game has a lot more areas in it at the moment than an official game so it's a trade off. Each area should have semi-unique Pokemon (You shouldn't find the same 5 types of pokemon in 4 different areas) and I want to encourage trading between players to fill out their pokedex so you will probably only be able to find something like 70% of the available pokemon in any individual playthrough. The minimum limit for pokemon in an area will probably go from a minimum of 2 to a minimum of 4 when I finish adding more pokemon. I also want to point out that that particular minimum is also for short grass in specific, you could potentially find 2 species in short grass and 3 others while surfing in the water in the same zone.

I've also considered having trainers sometimes give you items instead of just money when defeated. Perhaps you beat a trainer with lvl 8 pokemon and they will give something like a Potion. Beating a lvl 40 trainer might give you something better like an Ultra Ball. I know you'll disagree with this but TM's will probably be a one time use, I want to encourage players to trade with each other so instead of getting every item/pokemon yourself you'll end up with some duplicate TMs to trade for what you're missing. If you don't want to trade other players then it will just mean you have to try something new instead of using that specific move. I'm also considering allowing transfer of pokemon between playthroughs. A transfer would obviously have to delevel the pokemon or make it unavailable until after the elite 4 or something to keep it balanced though.

• Upvote 1

so what about department stores? I believe a good way to do the pokeballs is to have rare department stores, like 1 or 2 in each world that have certain stock of items, so unlimited pokeballs and great balls, 10 or so ultra balls 0-5 of the special pokeballs, 0-1 of each tm, 0-1 of each evolution stone, and some held items. this will also add another way to give towns variety in building types. also will there be npc trades? thanks!

Edited by CheezBallz

8 hours ago, CheezBallz said:

so what about department stores? I believe a good way to do the pokeballs is to have rare department stores, like 1 or 2 in each world that have certain stock of items, so unlimited pokeballs and great balls, 10 or so ultra balls 0-5 of the special pokeballs, 0-1 of each tm, 0-1 of each evolution stone, and some held items. this will also add another way to give towns variety in building types. also will there be npc trades? thanks!

I'll take your idea about department stores into consideration but I don't want to say yes or no to that yet. It will depend on how others feel about that idea and how my vision for the game evolves leading up to where I could add them. There will be NPC trades for sure. Certain pokemon like Togepi and Castform will probably be exclusively available as npc trades. I don't think it would be right to be able to encounter those species in the wild and I don't want to just give things away for free without the player needing to do anything to earn them (Mystery gifts with exclusive pokemon like mew for example). It should be rewarding to get each and every pokemon/item. :)

Edited by KingCoin

10 hours ago, KingCoin said:

I'll take your idea about department stores into consideration but I don't want to say yes or no to that yet. It will depend on how others feel about that idea and how my vision for the game evolves leading up to where I could add them. There will be NPC trades for sure. Certain pokemon like Togepi and Castform will probably be exclusively available as npc trades. I don't think it would be right to be able to encounter those species in the wild and I don't want to just give things away for free without the player needing to do anything to earn them (Mystery gifts with exclusive pokemon like mew for example). It should be rewarding to get each and every pokemon/item. :)

Sounds good. Maybe ditto could be one of the trades if that's what you're going for.

I've made some more progress! Here's the changes:

• Fixed a bug where the world was incorrectly generating cliff/rock tiles in places it wasn't supposed to.
  • Fixed a bug that caused grass to continue to "wiggle" forever after walking through it. (It should only move when you step on it)
  • Fixed a rare crash that could occur during world generation.
  • Re-added trees to the world generation.
  • Modified and re-added grass patches to the world generation.
  • Modified and re-added npc's to the world generation.
  • Areas now have names. The name of the area you are currently in is located in the upper right corner of the screen. Towns have a random name chosen from a list of about 600 possibilities.

Variations in elevation still need to be re-added. It's a difficult thing to implement though so it will take some time to get it right.

Here's a fresh screenshot:

Qs04Z2o.png

Edited by KingCoin

I added wandering pokemon to the world. They have a small chance to spawn on grass tiles if there are less than 4 wandering pokemon already in the area. These pokemon have the same chance of being shiny as all other pokemon(1/8192) and will be visible as a shiny in the overworld.

• Fixed a bug which allowed moves used on pokemon to heal them past their maximum HP. (Having 120/100 hp for example)

Here is a screenshot which shows a wandering shiny Azurill and a few other wandering pokemon that aren't shiny to showcase the feature:

VWZuCS5.png

Edited by KingCoin
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2017 at 10:50 AM, DemICE said:

visible wandering pokemon... i dont think i have seen this concept again... even if its such a simple thing to think about..  hats off to the idea!

On 2/11/2017 at 10:53 AM, CheezBallz said:

dang the world looks great! I'm soo excited for this game! I've told all my friends who like pokemon and they're going to play too.

I'm glad you guys like it! It's always great (and motivating) for me to see that people appreciate my efforts. 

I'm posting this from my phone at the moment because my computer appears to be experiencing some hardware failure and my main hard drive with windows on it is failing. Don't worry about pokemon safari though, it's backed up on various hard drives and some older versions of it are backed up online so it should be pretty safe.

Edited by KingCoin

3 hours ago, kalzone678 said:

It would be cool if the shiny rate could be increased for these wandering pokemon.

EDIT: Will there be the possibility of a beta released for us to play?

I will incentivise the player to go after wandering pokemon by having their IVs roll between 10-31 instead of 1-31. Shinies are intended to be extremely rare and exciting to find. That being said, you are more likely to find a shiny wandering pokemon simply because you can see if they're shiny or not before you even battle them. You might be able to exploit this by continuously starting new games until you see a shiny in one of the four routes abjacent to the starting town or something if you want to...

Regarding the possibility of a beta: I will eventually have a closed beta available when I feel the game is ready for it. The reasoning for it being a closed beta is that I don't want people to play a buggy beta, decide they don't like it, and give up on the game before it's even completed. The purpose of the closed beta is more for bug fixes and gameplay recommendations than a playable game teaser.

After closed beta, when the game is ready, there will be an open beta which is when I will add a lot of new area types, extra NPC dialog, extra quest types, and alternative storylines.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, KingCoin said:

I've also considered having trainers sometimes give you items instead of just money when defeated. Perhaps you beat a trainer with lvl 8 pokemon and they will give something like a Potion. Beating a lvl 40 trainer might give you something better like an Ultra Ball. I know you'll disagree with this but TM's will probably be a one time use, I want to encourage players to trade with each other so instead of getting every item/pokemon yourself you'll end up with some duplicate TMs to trade for what you're missing. If you don't want to trade other players then it will just mean you have to try something new instead of using that specific move. I'm also considering allowing transfer of pokemon between playthroughs. A transfer would obviously have to delevel the pokemon or make it unavailable until after the elite 4 or something to keep it balanced though.

Not sure if this is possible, but maybe add some secret achievements into certain trainers? For example, this trainer says: "Lets see whose Electric Types are stronger!", and when you defeated him/her with only Electric types, he would offer you an extra item/Pokemon after the battle. Not necessarily has to be rare item or Pokemon, but will make you feel disappointed for missing that achievement. 

Edited by hope4896

2 hours ago, hope4896 said:

Not sure if this is possible, but maybe add some secret achievements into certain trainers? For example, this trainer says: "Lets see whose Electric Types are stronger!", and when you defeated him/her with only Electric types, he would offer you an extra item/Pokemon after the battle. Not necessarily has to be rare item or Pokemon, but will make you feel disappointed for missing that achievement. 

I appreciate your idea however I personally don't think people would like that mechanic. It's similar to the HM debate, people don't want to be forced to have random pokemon in their team to progress or risk missing out on items.

7 hours ago, KingCoin said:

I will incentivise the player to go after wandering pokemon by having their IVs roll between 10-31 instead of 1-31. Shinies are intended to be extremely rare and exciting to find. That being said, you are more likely to find a shiny wandering pokemon simply because you can see if they're shiny or not before you even battle them. You might be able to exploit this by continuously starting new games until you see a shiny in one of the four routes abjacent to the starting town or something if you want to...

Regarding the possibility of a beta: I will eventually have a closed beta available when I feel the game is ready for it. The reasoning for it being a closed beta is that I don't want people to play a buggy beta, decide they don't like it, and give up on the game before it's even completed. The purpose of the closed beta is more for bug fixes and gameplay recommendations than a playable game teaser.

After closed beta, when the game is ready, there will be an open beta which is when I will add a lot of new area types, extra NPC dialog, extra quest types, and alternative storylines.

How would people get into the closed beta? I would be interested in participating.

7 hours ago, hope4896 said:

Just sharing my opinion, but I'm not really into changing trainers too much. I feel like having trainers just give you money would be fine because:

1: you can choose what to spend it on

2: it's like the normal game

3: if kingcoin feels like putting in department stores like they have in all the games (i think) then you'd need money

Obviously the third reason depends on what kingcoin decides to do about that idea but i feel like trainers who give you items wouldn't be good as a replacement, but maybe those kinds of trainers could go in towns, where they say "I'd bet you can't beat me! Want to battle?" then you say yes or no and if you win you get an item and possibly a good one.

If he does add department stores i suggested they have stock of items so you can't buy anything you could possibly need, instead they only have some ultra balls and special pokeballs, some medicine items,  some evolution stones and only 1 of the ones there are, some tms and only 1 of the ones there are, and some held items and only 1 of the ones there are.

btw what is going to be done about mega stones and z-crystals. I wouldn't really care if they weren't included in the game, but i think they would be good to put behind cut trees and rock smash rocks etc. along with the better held items. I think hms should be used to get special items and go to special routes or caves where there could be legendaries, so they're optional, but you're rewarded for using them.

21 minutes ago, CheezBallz said:

How would people get into the closed beta? I would be interested in participating.

There's a few things I want to say about the closed beta: 

• The closed beta will probably not be available for at least a couple months. There are a lot of key game mechanics which I still need to add and some glaringly obvious bugs I need to fix.
  • I haven't developed a method for determining who gets into the closed beta yet. This is something I'll need to figure out when the time for closed beta comes.
  • People who participate in the closed beta should expect there to be game breaking bugs. The game could crash, your pokemon could be randomly deleted, your save could be corrupted, items might not work properly, etc.
  • People that participate in closed beta should provide feedback about the game, report bugs, and recommend improvements as often as possible.

People who could do/tolerate the things I listed above would be good candidates for closed beta. I'd like it to be fun for those involved and I hope that when it become available people will know to expect bugs won't be disappointed.

7 hours ago, CheezBallz said:

btw what is going to be done about mega stones and z-crystals. I wouldn't really care if they weren't included in the game, but i think they would be good to put behind cut trees and rock smash rocks etc. along with the better held items. I think hms should be used to get special items and go to special routes or caves where there could be legendaries, so they're optional, but you're rewarded for using them.

As of right now those aren't a priority. If they are added to the game it will probably be in a patch after release(after closed and open beta have ended) and I will only add them if a lot of interest is expressed by players. My personal favorite games were generation III and earlier so content from those games will probably be implemented first. I hope people won't be disappointed by this news. Unfortunately this game is a lot of work to do by myself and at the moment my schedule is very busy so I can usually only work on it on Friday afternoons and sometimes on weekends and I'm trying to get the essential mechanics in first. So far I've written about 33,830 lines of code and modified about 500 textures(counting all 6 of a pokemon's front and back sprites as one texture) for use in the game!

Here's an example of the texture file for one pokemon's front/back sprites and a screenshot of some of the pokemon's associated code incase anyone is curious:

0a5O0Oe.pngV720AQp.png[\Spoiler]
Edited by KingCoin

If you're doing it by what people want then I'd say I want z-crystals more than mega stones, but if you add one it might be kinda weird if you don't add the other. Obviously it's up to you but I kinda want them in the game because I haven't actually played gen 6 or 7 and I'm interested in trying those items.

(sorry about posting so much i hope i'm not annoying you)

40 minutes ago, CheezBallz said:

If you're doing it by what people want then I'd say I want z-crystals more than mega stones, but if you add one it might be kinda weird if you don't add the other. Obviously it's up to you but I kinda want them in the game because I haven't actually played gen 6 or 7 and I'm interested in trying those items.

(sorry about posting so much i hope i'm not annoying you)

Don't worry, you're having the opposite effect(I like it when people post a lot). People posting shows that their is interest in this project which helps motivate me to work on it. I also appreciate the feedback and opinions you provide because it helps me get a better idea of the features people want or don't want me to include. Keep it up! :)

Edited by KingCoin