Would you be interested in a procedurally generated pokemon game?

1 hour ago, DemICE said:

For pokemon that can be both genders,  how would you like one 100% male nickname,  one 100% female nickname, and one that can fit both genders?

That's a good idea. Just make sure to preserve the order. Perhaps name1 is male, name2 is female, name3 is something that fits both. If they don't have a gender then order doesn't matter.

I created an online Excel document that everyone can access , with  pokemon species catalogued up till the final evolution of #273.

This way, whoever is interested in contributing their idea for a nickname, can just go that page anytime and input it.

The formatting of columns is quite simple,  with colors for better clarity  as:  Species  Male  Female  Neutral   and the pokemon ID being the numbering of the lines on the left.

The link for this is here --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1clnRot4nMFi_HqWqJAH5cuW7f_65YD3en7d1WT4c31Y/edit#gid=0

There is also the possibility of someone wanting to add another nickname even if three already exist.  in case you agree with that, they could be able to add it in the next column,  in the proper color that indicates the gender that the nickname would represent.  in the end you might want to either choose the three you like most, or to just add all of them in the randomizer. 

I have done the beginning so its easy for anyone to follow the same way.    I have put some vanilla-style nicknames, some of them might be a bit creative, some of them might be bland, but that's how it was in the games too.  

I would like to  know  if you like this idea,  and if you disagree with any part of the above.

26 minutes ago, DemICE said:

I created an online Excel document that everyone can access , with  pokemon species catalogued up till the final evolution of #273.

This way, whoever is interested in contributing their idea for a nickname, can just go that page anytime and input it.

The formatting of columns is quite simple,  with colors for better clarity  as:  Species  Male  Female  Neutral   and the pokemon ID being the numbering of the lines on the left.

The link for this is here --> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1clnRot4nMFi_HqWqJAH5cuW7f_65YD3en7d1WT4c31Y/edit#gid=0

There is also the possibility of someone wanting to add another nickname even if three already exist.  in case you agree with that, they could be able to add it in the next column,  in the proper color that indicates the gender that the nickname would represent.  in the end you might want to either choose the three you like most, or to just add all of them in the randomizer. 

I have done the beginning so its easy for anyone to follow the same way.    I have put some vanilla-style nicknames, some of them might be a bit creative, some of them might be bland, but that's how it was in the games too.  

I would like to  know  if you like this idea,  and if you disagree with any part of the above.

This looks like a great way to do it! Having more than 3 names is fine, I just thought it would be easier if people only had to come up with three of them :) 

Edit: The spreadsheet is accessable now.

Edited by KingCoin

1 minute ago, KingCoin said:

This looks like a great way to do it! Having more than 3 names is fine, I just thought it would be easier if people only had to come up with three of them :) 

The spreadsheet you created requires permission to access btw.

try again now

the idea is that someone might open the file at a later point and just has an inspiration for a 4th charizard nickname.  instead of being disappointed all 3 slots are taken they can add their own idea next to the others

Edited by DemICE

You guys are doing a good job with the nicknames! Here's a progress update:

• Added about 50 new npc dialog options.
  • Fixed the world seed mechanics. The seed you specify for your world now determines the layout of the world, areas generated, names of towns, and npc's generated as well as their dialog. It does not determine the order of events in the world after generation. If two people start games with the same seed they will be playing in identical worlds however the pokemon they encounter, moves non-playable pokemon use in battle, and all other aspects of the game that occur after world generation will be unique to their play-through.
  • Vastly improved the in-game dialog interface. Text is now incrementally displayed rather than all at once. Important keywords are a different color from the rest of the text. An animation is displayed to indicate when you can press the activate button to advance the dialog.
  • Created a subreddit for the game. I'm not sure what to post on it as the initial post but I figured it would be a better format for posting information. With the ability to create a seperate thread for each announcement, old announcements won't be buried and never seen again as people post. The subreddit is empty atm with no stylesheet so I'm not sure if I should bother linking it.

Here's a screenshot of the new dialog system incase anyone's curious how it looks:

EPbzLtU.png

I just stumbled upon this game. It sounds super interesting and I love the caterpie sprite. ^_^

I would be interested in the closed beta myself. I play fangames with my gf and she majored in video game design...so feedback would be given often.

19 hours ago, Alphagar said:

I just stumbled upon this game. It sounds super interesting and I love the caterpie sprite. ^_^

I would be interested in the closed beta myself. I play fangames with my gf and she majored in video game design...so feedback would be given often.

I'm glad you're interested!

I also wanted to give a small progress update. I've been working on a terrain generation overhaul which will add several new biomes/area types. I've decided not to release teaser screenshots of these though so exploring in the beta will be more exciting. Also, thank you to everyone who has been patient with my development pace. I assure you that even though you get no new screenshots,  good progress is being made. :D

• Upvote 1

I should probably post another status update for you guys so here it is:

• Completely replaced about 700 lines of code for overworld tiles with much easier to use/faster code.
  • Reworked the terrain generation system to work with the new tile format.
  • Re-arranged a lot of the textures associated with tiles to make them intuitive to use and more expandable.
  • Created/modified tiles for each of the 5 new biomes that now exist in the game.

The current distribution of biomes is as follows:

70% normal

10% snow

6% desert

6% ash

6% graveyard

2% ??? ;)

It is likely that I will be adding more biomes in the future so these numbers are subject to change.

Wow just checked back and saw all this progress. I'm especially glad to hear about the new biomes. I can't wait to see what other ones you can come up with. I'm thinking maybe a jungle, a swamp, a beach, a fantasy biome with unique colors for weird pokemon or psychic types (for example purple grass or green water) or a dark underground cavern biome maybe with some crystals. I think that would make some cool generations and underground cities. (It would be like a cave but bigger and you could transition to it by going under a mountain.) (it would be cool if, when I show my friends this game, my biome idea was in it but obviously it's just a suggestion. It's your game after all.)

Edited by CheezBallz
Another Biome Idea

• 3 weeks later...

I had some time to work on the game today so here's the progress report:

• Fixed a display bug that's been in the game for a long time. Areas that are adjacent to the current area yet still on the screen now move at the same time as the current area. Tree tops now also move at the correct time when the player moves.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the player's walking animation to be 8x faster than intended.
  • Fixed a bug which allowed a player to select slots in their party which had no pokemon after their lead pokemon had feinted in a battle.
  • Fixed a bug which allowed the player to move left or right while viewing the menu.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the "stepping on grass" animation to not move with the camera as the player moved.
  • Fixed a bug which caused the "stepping on grass" animation to loop forever instead of ending shortly after the player moved onto a grass tile.
  • Implemented custom encounterable species list for the "graveyard" biome.
  • Added backgrounds to battles which match the biome the battle takes place in. (You no longer see a green field when you enter battle in a desert for example)
  • Added critical hit mechanics to battles.
  • Moves which have a high critical hit chance are now more likely to critically hit.
  • Improved support for increased zoom. The game will probably be more zoomed in than it was in prior screenshots, this change is being made in order to increase the difficulty of exploring areas/navigating mazes as well as to reduce the complexity required to create convincing procedurally generated zone transitions.

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a new feature. Procedurally generated shinies!

wU18Rxq.png

They can be almost any color you can think of. As of right now there is a 50/50 chance of getting a procedural shiny instead of a cannon shiny. Procedural shinies have blue sparkles while cannon shinies have yellow. If anyone has any recommendations regarding the new procedurally generated variants I'd love to hear them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Which generations of Pokemon will be in this game? i’m hoping for at least the first 4 but idc after that bc that’s when I stopped playing Pokemon. Also, will starters be 3 randomly chosen out of all starters, 3 randomly chosen out of all Pokemon (probably excluding legendaries), or a choice of any starter? (I’m hoping for the first or second one, but that might make players inclined to restart their world to get the one they want)

• 2 weeks later...

The first release will have gen 1-3. Starters haven't been decided yet but it will be a choice between fire/water/grass like it is in the original games. I'm considering letting the player choose an egg which hatches into a random starter of known type at the start of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...