[Mod] I created a program that can probably make this game HD, Are you interested?

KingCoin

I've posted what I believe to be a working version of the program which you can use to create a texture pack for any game where you have access to the png files. You can find it on my original post which I've edited. Let me know if you find any issues with it, I haven't really tested the latest version.

In other news, I've apparently been permanently muted in pokemon insurgence chat because the developers felt I insulted them by creating a tool to fix their scaled textures which they feel implies I think they're bad artists even though I never said that.

Edited by KingCoin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Global Mods

I've posted what I believe to be a working version of the program which you can use to create a texture pack for any game where you have access to the png files. You can find it on my original post which I've edited. Let me know if you find any issues with it, I haven't really tested the latest version.

In other news, I've apparently been permanently muted in pokemon insurgence chat because the developers felt I insulted them by creating a tool to fix their scaled textures which they feel implies I think they're bad artists even though I never said that.

So is the premade version of the Reborn one still the original, or does it include the changes?

So is the premade version of the Reborn one still the original, or does it include the changes?

It's still the original. I can create a new version if you'd like however I made it so the program accepts some different settings now so I'm not sure which version of the pack you would want. There are a few trade offs that can be made, one of which is either I can preserve more detail (size of eyes for example) but have a more pixelated result in the end or make the textures smoother but some details shrink.

• Global Mods

It's still the original. I can create a new version if you'd like however I made it so the program accepts some different settings now so I'm not sure which version of the pack you would want. There are a few trade offs that can be made, one of which is either I can preserve more detail (size of eyes for example) but have a more pixelated result in the end or make the textures smoother but some details shrink.

could you make it so edges are smoothed more than interiors of images? or would that just look weird?

• Global Mods

I can make it so only the edges are smoothed. This is how it looks:

rCrHihM.png

OK that's not particularly noticeable. I'm just trying to think of a way to get nice smooth textures, without losing detail like eyes and stuff......

OK that's not particularly noticeable. I'm just trying to think of a way to get nice smooth textures, without losing detail like eyes and stuff......

My program has a detail preservation value you can set when you run it. This value determines how few nearby similar color pixels there can be before each pixel will be modified for smoothing. This can be any value between 0 and 8, I've found a setting of 4 or 5 works best. Here's an image showing unmodified vs a setting of 4 or 5:

A5XmH7K.png

• Veterans

Looks pretty nifty! Do you have any estimation of when the program itself will be released to the public, rather than just the Reborn texture pack?

• Global Mods

My program has a detail preservation value you can set when you run it. This value determines how few nearby similar color pixels there can be before each pixel will be modified for smoothing. This can be any value between 0 and 8, I've found a setting of 4 or 5 works best. Here's an image showing unmodified vs a setting of 4 or 5:

A5XmH7K.png

That 5 is looking pretty nice for detail preservation. can we get a test with one of the overworld sprites that has the eyes issue?

Looks pretty nifty! Do you have any estimation of when the program itself will be released to the public, rather than just the Reborn texture pack?

It's already released, I've updated my original post to include a download link for the program! I've considered posting a texture pack for each possible variant of textures it can create (because the program itself might be hard for some people to figure out how to run) but that would be a lot of work. I personally think it's pretty easy to use but not everyone is as knowledgeable about computers.

Here's an image showing all the possible values(a number between 0 and 8) of the detail preservation setting:

MOhEE7D.png

I believe the texture pack that is currently posted has the equivalent of a setting of zero although it's hard to say since this option wasn't added until after I created that pack.

• Global Mods

I'm not entirely sure which sprites have eye issues but I could try to find one.

I know that Kuro is definitely one of them, based on watching my friend play.

• Global Mods

I haven't played this game yet so I'm not entirely sure what kuro looks like, based on a quick google search, I believe this is kuro? Or am I incorrect?

e9eval0.png

Thats Decibel. Kuro is the male sprite with white hair and dark skin.

Is it racist that the dark skinned sprite's default name is literally "black"?

I've updated my original post to include the latest version of the texture pack as well as the latest version of the program. I also included the only known solution to the bug where an extremely small amount of specific texture files lose transparency when they're converted.

The texture pack included on my first post now uses a detail preservation setting of 5.

Fixed the following bugs in the program:

• The program no longer crashes when it encounters a file that is not a png image.
  • The program now correctly recreates the original folder structure from it's input directory in it's output directory which should make installing a texture pack created by it as simple as copying and pasting one time from the output folder to the game's folder and merging folders.
Edited by KingCoin

Awesome work on this man.

I'm having a hard time finding where this would be though so I can add transparency to it

http://imgur.com/a/J17pJ

See the pokemon's name box up there?

Any idea which folder and what title this might be?

I feel like I've looked everywhere.

I'm glad you like it, I haven't seen anyone else mention issues with that particular image. Maybe running the program on the original image again would fix. Anyways, It looks like it's in the Graphics/Pictures folder. Search that folder for files with "battleFoeBox" in their name.