[Mod] I created a program that can probably make this game HD, Are you interested?

KingCoin

• Global Mods

Here's a screenshot, definitely not smoothed. actually dunno how I missed it before, but it appears to have its normal shiny colors back too. I could swear mine was red and black...

Edit: all my other shinies are fine too.

Edited by DreamblitzX

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a screenshot, definitely not smoothed. actually dunno how I missed it before, but it appears to have its normal shiny colors back too. I could swear mine was red and black...

Edit: all my other shinies are fine too.

You're right. That does appear to be the normal shiny sprite which seems odd to me. This is what that sprite looks like after my program ran on it for pokemon insurgence:

I0OK479.png

Here are the shiny sprites I see in the folder that contains my texture pack though:

iehZcXp.pngTWDjit7.png

Those are both in the folder as they should be for me so I have to assume you somehow didn't copy them in properly when you installed the texture pack. I'm not sure why you would have the sprite you currently have unless I somehow packed the wrong sprite into the archive file for the pack. If you download these two images and name the back sprite 269sb.png and the other one 269s.png you should be able to put them in your graphics/battlers folder and replace the current images with the same name with them to fix your issue with that particular sprite. I'm still working on the box sprite issue.

• Global Mods

Ok I think I've found the problem. here is a screenshot of my sprites folder for Dustox. scrolling through, it seems that for all pokemon with male/female variants, the female shiny sprites (front and back) lack both Reborns shiny coloration (which they had before installing) and smoothing. this one is on you.

I was playing E15 today and found a little bug with the Murkwater Surface field

I think I might know what causes this. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet but this occurred one other time on an image I was testing with and what was happening in that image was it was making the background pink instead of transparent similar to your image where the transparent parts have become black. I believe what causes this is an image is when the image uses any fully transparent color besides white. I tried to fix this earlier but after about an hour of messing with it I wasn't able to make it work properly and I gave up because I hadn't actually found any actual game textures that had this issue. I'll look into ways to fix this later now that I know it does seem to affect at least one texture in an actual game.

My fixes I was messing with earlier seemed to me like they should have fixed the issue but for some reason they weren't. I use the same alpha(transparency) value for each pixel as was in the original image so this shouldn't be happening. It's a strange issue.

• Global Mods

I was playing E15 today and found a little bug with the Murkwater Surface field:

I'd forgotten about this but seeing this image reminded me; when I was watching my friend play (who I gave the texturepack) the eggs had a blue-green box around them, and uncovered items in the mining minigame had black boxes like this. Just for your information.

I also apparently doubleposted in this thread? I can't see where

I'd forgotten about this but seeing this image reminded me; when I was watching my friend play (who I gave the texturepack) the eggs had a blue-green box around them, and uncovered items in the mining minigame had black boxes like this. Just for your information.

I also apparently doubleposted in this thread? I can't see where

I don't see a double post either but here's what I've found when I was looking into the shiny dustox sprite issue. I downloaded pokemon reborn and when I look in the graphics/battlers folder there doesn't appear to be any texture files at all for shiny female dustox. My program only modifies the files it gets so it didn't modify the shiny female sprites because they didn't even exist. Are you sure you didn't at some point use textures copied from another game or in some way modify your texture folder before installing my texture pack? It's not possible that my pack gave you those images, I just downloaded my pack and I don't see those sprites in it at all.

Anyways, it looks to me like pokemon reborn doesn't naturally have separate sprites for female shinies vs male. I could actually have my program generate shiny female sprites using the colors from the shiny male sprites on the non shiny female sprite but I consider that to be a less major issue than some of the other things I need to fix like this issue with some sprites having a box around them instead of transparency.

KSQDNuM.png

Alright, I've looked into the gen 6 box sprites issue and what I've determined is that my program does smooth them a little bit but it's not super noticable. The reason for this is that for whatever reason, these sprites appear to be made up of a ton of similar colored pixels instead of solid colors. So for example, the brown part of litleo isn't one shade of brown, almost every pixel is a different shade of brown.

Here's an image that shows a before(left) and after(right) of an earlier generation sprite and a 6th generation sprite:

svumfzS.png

If you zoom in on the image in an image viewing/editing program you'll see the difference between the initial sprites for each generation.

My program smooths pixels that are the same color together. I can easily make it check for similar color pixels instead of pixels that are the exact same color but it may make the sprites lose detail or blend incorrectly(perhaps it will say the eye is similar color to the face and delete the eye). I could try this change if you want. Do you want me to?

I think the issue with boxes around sprites is something to do with the original texture file. Simply taking the original texture and copying it into another blank image turns all the transparent areas opaque. It doesn't appear to be related to transparency color as I originally thought. I'm working on figuring out a fix.

Edited by KingCoin

• Global Mods

Alright, I've looked into the gen 6 box sprites issue and what I've determined is that my program does smooth them a little bit but it's not super noticable. The reason for this is that for whatever reason, these sprites appear to be made up of a ton of similar colored pixels instead of solid colors. So for example, the brown part of litleo isn't one shade of brown, almost every pixel is a different shade of brown.

Here's an image that shows a before(left) and after(right) of an earlier generation sprite and a 6th generation sprite:

svumfzS.png

If you zoom in on the image in an image viewing/editing program you'll see the difference between the initial sprites for each generation.

My program smooths pixels that are the same color together. I can easily make it check for similar color pixels instead of pixels that are the exact same color but it may make the sprites lose detail or blend incorrectly(perhaps it will say the eye is similar color to the face and delete the eye). I could try this change if you want. Do you want me to?

I honestly have no idea where the shiny female sprites came from then, because as you've shown, they arent in the base game (also I didn't have them before), and yet the only thing Ive copied in is your texture pack, but I just checked my original zip i copied from and they arent there either...

I think it would be cool to try something for the box sprites, because they do look somewhat out of place, but if it doesn't look good I guess don't worry too much? Because you're distributing the texturepack not the program, could you just make the changes, rerun for the gen 6 box sprites and replace those if you dont wanna mess with any others.

• Developers

For the Gen 6 sprites maybe you should allow some similar colors as well but only with slight (non-noticeable) difference.

That transparency issue seems odd. I'd guess that you're doing some operation that doesn't preserve transparency but that would have affected far more images. Maybe there is a bug in some function you're calling. So maybe the transparency of the original buggy images is somehow badly saved and Java doesn't recognize the pixels as being transparent when loading the image to memory?

For the Gen 6 sprites maybe you should allow some similar colors as well but only with slight (non-noticeable) difference.

That transparency issue seems odd. I'd guess that you're doing some operation that doesn't preserve transparency but that would have affected far more images. Maybe there is a bug in some function you're calling. So maybe the transparency of the original buggy images is somehow badly saved and Java doesn't recognize the pixels as being transparent when loading the image to memory?

I currently have no idea how to fix the issue, I've spent a few hours trying to fix it and I haven't been able to find what differentiates the few images it doesn't work on from the vast majority that it works on. I'm using a method called getRGB() which you pass pixel coordinates and it gives you the RGB color value of the pixel at that location. When I call getAlpha() on it(which should give me a value between 0 and 255 where 0 is fully transparent and 255 is fully opaque) it gives me a value of 255 even though I can see the area on the original image is entirely transparent. I've made a post on a programming help forum to see if anyone could help me figure it out but there hasn't been a response yet.

I'll try making the changes to the program to allow for similar colors. It will probably also have some of my new changes for smoothing as well. I'll try to post a complete pack with the new changes and you guys can copy just the box sprites from it if you want or install the entire pack if you want to help me find any new issues created by the changes.

Also, if someone could give me a fairly progressed save file(assuming that's allowed here) I could test things easier myself. I haven't actually played this game before past the first battle. I originally created this program for pokemon insurgence but wanted to share it with more people that could enjoy it and had already received requests for some other fangames so I came here.

Edited by KingCoin

Here's a download link for the latest version if you want to test it. I've given it a threshold of + or - 10 for comparing pixel colors when smoothing. Please try it and let me know if you notice any new issues or if you notice that some older issues are fixed. It should also change the overworld tiles and make them smoother than before but there may be issues with that change so I'd like to know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0muzpfLQvV4V1FncGFJUm9HX00

Edited by KingCoin

• Global Mods

Also, if someone could give me a fairly progressed save file(assuming that's allowed here) I could test things easier myself. I haven't actually played this game before past the first battle. I originally created this program for pokemon insurgence but wanted to share it with more people that could enjoy it and had already received requests for some other fangames so I came here.

You should really play through it yourself when you get a chance, its very good. I enjoyed insurgence, then I enjoyed reborn even more.

You should really play through it yourself when you get a chance, its very good. I enjoyed insurgence, then I enjoyed reborn even more.

I'll try it when I get a chance but one thing I don't really like is how common shinies are. I'd prefer if they were still 1/8192 or if they had the fanmade shinies at the current rarity and official nintendo shinies at the 1/8192 chance. I like having something rare to find.

• Global Mods

The chance is still less than 1% though, but I sorta get where you're coming from. I guess because they went to all the work of making custom shiny sprites, they wanted people to see them a bit more.

• Global Mods

Will you also do the same for Rejuvenation as well?

Will the current one work for rejuv because it uses reborn as a base?

Edit: actually ignore me: I was just thinking of the pokemon but of course rejuv will have a whole different tile and spriteset for the overworld

Edited by DreamblitzX

• Developers

Can you try your program on this version of the image? The transparency might work correctly with this version. (see below)

I can give you a save file of my finished game if you want. In fact I have 2 with the story completely finished and one with only the last gym leader left. Or I can give you a savefile from pretty much anywhere in the game - Reborn generates backups all the time. But I'd really recommend you playing the game yourself without spoilers. It has more than a few surprises.

post-55272-0-65262800-1469287044_thumb.png