[Mod] I created a program that can probably make this game HD, Are you interested?

KingCoin

1 hour ago, Kalnuza said:

This is strangely hilarious, though.

EDIT: So I figured it out, I said 'yes' to seeing the before and after of the smoothing program and it seems to have been the cause of this issue. Still keeping this and the screenshots for further possible investigations.

Haha, yeah. That's what choosing yes for that option does. I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Hopefully you didn't overwrite the original textures and can just run it again without that selected. That setting was something I was using myself while working on the program so I could debug it. I decided to leave it in as an option instead of completely removing it though in case people might find it useful for seeing what the various settings did to the textures.

I also wanted to say, thank you for providing such a detailed post with relevant screenshots and everything. That helps a lot when I'm trying to solve an issue. :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes! I did do a backup before using it just in case something went wrong.

Suggestion: if you haven't already, add that bit of info at the front that that option will make things get weird (you're welcome to refer to the screenshots I took if you want to) just so that people that are overly curious like I am don't accidently break everything. lol.

Just stopping by to give more support to an awesome project! Also wanted to say thanks a lot for putting my video on the front page! Very generous. Hope it was useful!

I use the smooth textures for every fan game I play now. I honestly can't go back to the original graphics. When I downloaded the latest Reborn episode I launched it without realizing it wouldn't have the textures by default and my first reaction was "wow this game looks really different..." 
Then I remembered why! 

I would really recommend it to anyone who plays these amazing fan games often. Its such a nice feature to be able to implement yourself without much effort! 

Keep up the good work man! 
All hail His Grace, Coin of house Smooth, First of His Name, King of the Pokemon and the First Players, Lord of the Eighteen types, and Protector of the Game.

;)

• Developers
On 13. 12. 2016 at 8:38 AM, DemICE said:

Btw you still havent figured out a solution about the   Egg mini sprites, and the Murkwater Surface field background i guess eh?  :/

Where are the file(s) with buggy eggs? (directory and namefile)

EDIT: nevermind, found it

Edited by baldr

I think I've found the issue with those particular images. It turns out that java "DOES NOT support 24-bit RGB with a tRNS trunk that includes a single transparent RGB color value for the image " for PNG images. I'm assuming that those particular problem images are saved in that format. The solution is to rewrite the code using an external library called "Java png decoder" which does have support for those types of images. I haven't looked too far into it but I believe if I did that I'd also have to include a copy of the license for that library with the game. Rewriting all the code to fix something that only affects a few images out of the thousands that do work would take a ton of time and unfortunately doesn't seem worth it to me at the moment.

Edited by KingCoin

• Developers

Don't waste your time on it. I found other images that are affected - the image used for mining, some shiny sprites and arrows in the bag. Anyway as said earlier all of them can be fixed by running them through a PNG compression tool before using your program.

2 hours ago, baldr said:

Don't waste your time on it. I found other images that are affected - the image used for mining, some shiny sprites and arrows in the bag. Anyway as said earlier all of them can be fixed by running them through a PNG compression tool before using your program.

any png compression tool i google will do the job?

• 3 weeks later...

These new textures are pretty... tasty!

I tried them and I found just little bugs:

Immagine.png

It happened after I have navigated the options menu: something disappeared xd

Even more little: there is no more frame around the game screen (I mean the decoration made out of pokemon reborn logo)

I'm quite sure someone has already reported this, but I can't read 7 pages of discussion ahahah

In the case this is already reported, feel free to delete what is unnecessary (even the entire message lol)

EDIT: I discovered that the poke gear menu has no image in "online play", "pulse dex" and "field notes"

EDIT2: notice that in E16 there should be a boy who doesn't let you go on the high-right corner in the circus (2° screen)

EDIT3: The main picture when you start Reborn is still E15;

EDIT4: let people notice that now in E16 there are new images for boxes, so it will be a problem putting your textures of old boxes into Reborn directory now, as it will display new names while having old reworked images; other things have conflicts with E16 new stuffs, so be careful of what textures you copy.

ANOTHER THING I'VE FOUND: I copied all the folders, but "tilesets" doesn't work properly it seems now in E16.. Pkmn centers and 90% of inner of houses were almost all black :(... Maybe it is better not to copy it, or not entirely.

Very great work! ^^

Edited by GishkiSoul
Sorry for too much editing, I've made mistakes

On 1/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, GishkiSoul said:

These new textures are pretty... tasty!

I tried them and I found just little bugs:

Immagine.png

It happened after I have navigated the options menu: something disappeared xd

Even more little: there is no more frame around the game screen (I mean the decoration made out of pokemon reborn logo)

I'm quite sure someone has already reported this, but I can't read 7 pages of discussion ahahah

In the case this is already reported, feel free to delete what is unnecessary (even the entire message lol)

EDIT: I discovered that the poke gear menu has no image in "online play", "pulse dex" and "field notes"

EDIT2: notice that in E16 there should be a boy who doesn't let you go on the high-right corner in the circus (2° screen)

EDIT3: The main picture when you start Reborn is still E15;

EDIT4: let people notice that now in E16 there are new images for boxes, so it will be a problem putting your textures of old boxes into Reborn directory now, as it will display new names while having old reworked images; other things have conflicts with E16 new stuffs, so be careful of what textures you copy.

ANOTHER THING I'VE FOUND: I copied all the folders, but "tilesets" doesn't work properly it seems now in E16.. Pkmn centers and 90% of inner of houses were almost all black :(... Maybe it is better not to copy it, or not entirely.

Very great work! ^^

First of all I want to apologize for not noticing your post until just now. Regarding what you said though, it sounds like it would be good if I posted an updated zip containing the results of running my program on the latest version of the game. I'll try to do it soon but it might be a few days because I'm going to be very busy IRL for the next few days.

Thank you for the feedback though.

I suspect the issues regarding the tilests folder are caused by either the names of the files inside being changed between game versions or the tiles inside being rearranged. If it is one of those things then it should be easy to fix. It could otherwise be the transperancy issue people have mentioned in this thread which would be a pain to fix so I hope it isn't that.

5 hours ago, KingCoin said:

First of all I want to apologize for not noticing your post until just now.

Nah you don't need, not a problem! ^_^

On 1/1/2017 at 9:05 PM, GishkiSoul said:

For this I tried to not to use some tilesets of inner places. Now I'm using all the original and there is no problem now about black houses. For what regards the outside, I'm using the original reborn tilesets of NeoReborn (NeoBeryl, NeoObsidia,...) because the new city has changed a lot of textures and using yours the city is still a little creepy and the plants are not very green as they should be XD.

Then I discovered minor problems about

• CavesFRLG.png (it just doesn't show rocks in water whithout the dark-blue border, sorry if I don't have a screenshoot, I'm a bit retarded and I didn't think about it when I found the problem! The good fact is that this only happens in a grotto in azurine lake which is very difficult to find);
  • Marsh.png (here when you reach Azurine Island there are problems with the near rocks which do not appear and just leave the "hereyoucanusesub" dark blue water ahaha)

I resolved all my problems searching on tilesets, all the other folders seems working the right way, Except a very little bug about eggs in a rectangular green area ahahaha.

Have a nice weekend, btw!

I discovered another little problem (sidequest spoiler):

Spoiler

in E16 there is a secret room (G.U.M.) in the sewers that has invisible walls using "sewer.png" tileset. In order to show the tubes the original tileset is needed.

Edited by GishkiSoul

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:36 PM, Phi-Bi said:

Is it possible to make this only applicable on certain parts of the game, perhaps make the texture apply to interface but not to overworld? Nice resources anyway, thanks for sharing this ^^

Just only copy and replace the textures you want to change.

• 2 months later...
  • Developers

@KingCoin Is it possible to specify all the parameters for your program non-interactively? I'd like to run it from a script which is not possible because it interactively asks for the parameters - I need to skip that somehow.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:56 AM, baldr said:

@KingCoin Is it possible to specify all the parameters for your program non-interactively? I'd like to run it from a script which is not possible because it interactively asks for the parameters - I need to skip that somehow.

I can make some modifications to it to allow for that. It will be a few days before I have time though since it's final exam week at my university and I need to deal with those first.

• Developers
13 hours ago, KingCoin said:

I can make some modifications to it to allow for that. It will be a few days before I have time though since it's final exam week at my university and I need to deal with those first.

Sure, take your time. And thanks. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everybody! I've finally updated the texture pack to match the latest version of pokemon reborn. You can get it off the first page of this post. The version I uploaded uses a detail preservation threshold of 5 and has diagonal edge blending. If you'd like different settings then you can download the program and customize the textures to your liking or you can ask someone else that is comfortable with using the program to help you out and do it for you. Enjoy!

On 4/21/2017 at 8:56 AM, baldr said:

In response to this:

I've also updated the program to allow you to pass the paramaters directly to the program. It can be done in the command prompt like so:

java -jar KingsTextureSmoother.jar <Path to texture folder> <Path to output folder (results)> <enable diagonal blending (y/n)> <detail preservation threshold>

The <> characters are not part of what you should type in, that's just to seperate the paramaters visually so you know what I mean. There is a space between each parameter.

• Developers
4 hours ago, KingCoin said:

Hello again everybody! I've finally updated the texture pack to match the latest version of pokemon reborn. You can get it off the first page of this post. The version I uploaded uses a detail preservation threshold of 5 and has diagonal edge blending. If you'd like different settings then you can download the program and customize the textures to your liking or you can ask someone else that is comfortable with using the program to help you out and do it for you. Enjoy!

In response to this:

I've also updated the program to allow you to pass the paramaters directly to the program. It can be done in the command prompt like so:

java -jar KingsTextureSmoother.jar <Path to texture folder> <Path to output folder (results)> <enable diagonal blending (y/n)> <detail preservation threshold>

The <> characters are not part of what you should type in, that's just to seperate the paramaters visually so you know what I mean. There is a space between each parameter.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2017 at 9:04 PM, Candy said:

can I run this program on mac? I made some custom overworld sprites which I'd like to add to the given graphics folder...

I think it should work. I haven't tried it on a mac myself but java is normally very good about cross platform compatibility.