Has there ever been a detail about a pokemon you never saw on your first glance?

Samtale

smh @ the magnezone confusion. He looks insanely derpy the way some of you interpreted him as. The aron mouth thing is mindblowing though.

Here's a classic one

: 250px-346Cradily.png

I initially thought the pattern spots on its forehead were it's actual eyes, with the black part being an open mouth and the true eyes its teeth. This made for a pretty derpy and odd looking pokemon and it wasn't until playing Colosseum did I realize he actually looked pretty cool.

I also thought anorith's pincers were its mandibles for the longest.The actual mouth is one its stomach and that made it look a lot cuter.

I didn't realize Bisharp had a mouth until his sugimori artwork was released.

Also this one is going to seem really dumb, but I didn't figure out Masquerain's antennae were meant to be fake eyes giving it a resemblance to a ballroom mask, hence it's name. I just thought they were wings with a random pattern on them. I mean it's not like surskit really had a ballroom or mask theme to it, so it came out of nowhere, though I suppose you can say its ability to skirt on water resembles dancing somewhat.

I didn't notice Latios/Latias were supposed to resemble jets until ORAS and their megas. Looking at them from above in the dex makes it pretty obvious, but the psychic typing feels totally jammed in even now.

I tend to forget machomp and Machoke have tails. Probably because it's such an unnecessary part of their design.

and of course, Metapod.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

• Global Mods

smh @ the magnezone confusion. He looks insanely derpy the way some of you interpreted him as. The aron mouth thing is mindblowing though.

Here's a classic one

: 250px-346Cradily.png

I initially thought the pattern spots on its forehead were it's actual eyes, with the black part being an open mouth and the tru eyes its teeth. This made for a pretty derpy and odd looking pokemon and it wasn't until playing Colosseum did I realize he actually looked pretty cool.

!!! That's who I was thinking of earlier!!! I only even figured it out because I saw it pointed out on the internet.

Gen 3 had this the worst I think.

Chimecho completely puzzled me when I first saw it. I thought, okay, it's a ghost type, that somehow looks like Jumpluff kind of so it's a branch evo of skiploom? Like the chime being a weird halo as if skiploom died and became a saint or something. Once I knew it was pure psychic while looking through a guide I figured it couldn't have been a skiploom evo and thought the chime was supposed to be a light bulb making chimecho some kind of inspired scholar. It fits the typing after all.

Then in gen 4 I caught chingling and it evolved into chimecho which threw me for a loop, though it became clear it was supposed to be a bell thing of some sort. The pun on its name was lost on me for years since I always pronounced its name, Chyme-cho, not Chyme-eh-ko. It was some pokedex thing from one of the spin off games where the dex would speak the pokemon's name did it all finally come together.

Not sure if it counts, but I thought Zubat's ears were eyes. My brain still thinks of/sees them as eyes.

There was a Pokemon where I first noticed something about it after years, but I can't remember what it was or which Pokemon right now.

Omg same!!

!!! That's who I was thinking of earlier!!! I only even figured it out because I saw it pointed out on the internet.

YES OH MY GOD

same here

also monochrome Chimecho's pronunciation (and a few others) threw me for a loop