Has there ever been a detail about a pokemon you never saw on your first glance?

Samtale

• Developers

I was looking at pokemons designs and found that bedew (Ame's favorite pokemon in the whole world) actually has blue and red in its design at least from some of the artwork I've seen. I know roselia has red and blue in its design but ,since bedews appendages on top its head dont show the inner parts on the official design I never knew

Out of curiosity has anyone here ever notice small design details that you never noticed when you first saw them

Edited by smeargletail

Several:

250px-462Magnezone.png

Magnezone's red part in the middle is actually its main eye. I thought it was a decorative nose-like marking until like a week ago.

250px-385Jirachi.png

Jirachi's stomach line is actually a closed eye. I didn't realise that until I saw fanart of it relatively recently.

There's more, but I don't have all night.

Back in the beginning days of gen 6 i thought the image of avalugg on serebii was corrupted in some way since I didn't realize it was based on a glacier/ aircraft carrier, if that counts.

Edited by YinYang9705

I feel like most of the time it involves eyes. For me it was woobat's eyes when gen 5 first came out, I never noticed those lines were closed eyes. I had thought it was just another eyeless bat, like zubat.

Several:

250px-462Magnezone.png

Magnezone's red part in the middle is actually its main eye. I thought it was a decorative nose-like marking until like a week ago.

250px-385Jirachi.png

Jirachi's stomach line is actually a closed eye. I didn't realise that until I saw fanart of it relatively recently.

There's more, but I don't have all night.

I already knew about Jirachi, but that Magnezone one just blew my mind. I thought it was just a nose/marking too.

I used to think hoothoot had 2 feet until I saw its official art and then convinced myself that it only had 1. Then through the anime I learned it actually has 2 feet like I thought.

I used to think chinchou had 4 fins, but 2 of them are actually feet. Yeah I don't know why but that's how it is.

I used to think quagsire really had like a dark blue "hotdog"-shaped tail, but turns out the part in the middle is the continuation of its dorsal fin.

I used to think dunsparce's mouth was in the lower part of its face and thus wasn't visible in its official art, but apparently:

110px-Roseanne_Dunsparce.png its mouth is between the yellow and blue halves of its head. That looks so weird to me even to this day.

I just realised (I'm looking at the bulbapedia pokedex to see if I'm forgetting something) that nuzleaf has nipples. Well then.

I used to think duskull had 2 red eyes, but turns out is just 1 red sphere floating inside its skull.

I used to think overcast cherrim was blind because its head was covered by petals, but turns out it has eyes here:

250px-Cherrim_eyes.png just right next to its legs. I still don't know how the head of the sunshine form works.

I used to think hoopa unbound (when it was still a rumor) had only one eye akin to dusknoir, and no visible mouth, but nope, it has 2 eyes.

I never realised that...

I also didn't notice gender differences for pokemon (other than the super obvious ones like meowstic) for ages.

GODDAMIT HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE DON'T REALISE THAT MAGNEZONE HAS THREE EYES!? IT'S NOT A NOSE!

It even swivels around and glows like an eyeball! Has no one looks properly at Magnezone's sprites in BW or in the Anime or when Magnezone uses an attack its eyes all rove?

Dammit! This is outrageous! I shall have to have a second Magnezone celebration day to educate the lot of you on its physiology!

I use to think that Kakuna was just a cocoon, but that was until I saw the official Ken Sugimori artwork for it and it was depicted with two pincers

Edited by RainbowHugs