Worst starter(s) in Pokemon?

Pokemon Starters  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Starter?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good reason for why Greninja can be considered the 'worst' starter: he's so broken it isn't even funny, and thus he got what was long overdue: an exit from OU in competititive battling.

I want a word with the whoever thought Empoleon was the worst. It's the BURD OF HONOUR!

Yeah, it's a peng-WIN Pokemon. How could that be bad?

I think Feraligatr is the worst starter. Not because it's necessarily bad, but it's completely useless since you get a Shiny Gyarados (another physical attacker that completely outclasses it)...how am I supposed to resist that?
All the others have at least some use compared to the mons encountered. Even Meganium.

Serperior, mostly for design wise. Still though it really isn't that great without contrary which you just don't get while playing through any normal pokemon game (even then it learns leaf storm suuuuper late).

Pikachu: I will never recognize it as a starter. I refuse to play Yellow because that annoying rodent is forced upon you. I dislike Pikachu in general. I get it's the mascot but they really need to stop forcing it on the players every chance they get.

Blaziken: Fuck this thing. I don't like it's design or anything about it. I don't get the hype around it either. It's just a chickenhead on legs who got a strong ability. That's it. I tried to pick it once, named it Nuggets and boxed it after I got two other mons. I also found it ridiculous when they introduced it as the first mega. Why? There are so many other and better Pokémon.

Delphox: Biggest disappointment ever made. I was really hyped when they released Fennekin and I hoped for a fire / psychic along the lines of Ninetales. Instead they put a stick in its ass and called it a mage. I can't stand it. I gave it a go in Reborn and started a new run after it evolved because I just couldn't stand it. Every time I used it in battle, the disappointment came back.

Btw I also could place Charizard here for all the bullshit it got and how GF went out of their way to make it good. It does not need 2 mega evolutions -.- But I figured 3 votes were enough.

Delphox is insanely useful throughout reborn once you get past Julia. People really underestimate how useful a fast will-o-wisp is given the lack of that TM, or how good fire types that have utility as opposed to being totally mindless are (don't care if blaziken is god of reborn).

Worst starter...Meganium is awful, but I've never been a fan of blastoise either. They literally had to make one single pokemon to breed with blastoise + a mega form to make it remotely useful other than it being a super shitty rapid spinner with leet scald hax. Even if for a while charizard was the worst of the 3 kanto starters, at least it could actually be decently offensive.

Also hate samurott. The hype for that thing in reborn staggers me. Yay it learns swords dance. Too bad you can only fix that middling speed and bulk with X-items, and you can kiss that strategy goodbye once Ame gets the AI right for episode 16 and the AI proceeds to stop doing stupid things and actually KO's or cripples it while you wasted cash and a turn in battle.

pikachu by far. i hate that rodent.

while meganium now is underwhelming, dont forget it is a GSC pokemon. when it was created, it was considered good support pokemon and his defensive stats combined with swords dance made it decent. also razor leaf at level 8? chicorita was love back then.

of course as generations passed, new pokemon appeared and old pokemon changed, this poor thing didnt get any love at all, and is now left at its pitiful state.

Pikachu, you can't even have a Light Ball on it in Yellow, making it absolutely useless. Get 'em outta here.

Meganium gets my vote as well. I got over my hate of it, although I would never... NEVER choose it over Typhlosion or Feraligatr.

Delphox. It's official art doesn't look that bad... but GOD DAMN does its model suck. It looks like a fuckin red triangle with a fox head on top. Also it's moveset is just as garbo.

Meganium.... Without a shadow of a doubt. Terrible learnset, awful typing and horrible design. I wouldn't have hated meganium that much if cyndaquil and totodile weren't so awesome....

Personally I'd have to pick the following pokemon for the worst starters of every generation: Gen 1: Pikachu because it is a very lame starter with terrible stats, and the fact that you're forced to not be able to evolve it.

Gen 2: Meganium: Meganium starts out as the weakest in BST terms, and you also have to face off against two types that it is weak to in the first two gyms; I ended up choosing it anyway because it is more of a challenge to use.

Gen 3: Sceptile: because it's my least favorite Gen 3 starter.

Gen 4: Infernape: because it is basically a weaker Blaziken.

Gen 5: Emboar: Because whenever I look at it; I just think pre cooked bacon, and don't even get me started on Smugleaf.

Gen 6: Delphox; because while it broke the mold of Fire/Fighting type starters; it really pales in comparison to Greninja.

• 2 weeks later...

Meganium and the chu, for about the same reasons as discussed. also, in its gen, meganium was "not very effective" vs 5 gyms and took SE damage from a sixth. At least pikachu has a decent offensive type.

funny thing about gen 2: feraligatr only learned water gun and hydro pump for stab, and was programmed to:

1. always have a stab move

2. use SE moves over other moves most of the time

so typhlosion was far and away the best starter because by about level 30 water gun really just doesn't cut it for stab and ty can just punch through with a normal attack

I also disliked delphox for its design, and sceptile for letting me down. man, I was totally expecting a kickass leaf ninja bro, but then it evolved and then it just...started sucking. I don't know what else to say. it had an awful gen 3 learnset (all physical moves on a special mon) and pretty bad stats (speed and spatk and thats it) I kinda wish that GF had made Sceptile physical in gen 4, just so it could use Leaf Blade again.

furthermore, I have never kept a gen V starter after I find something I like more. generally that's gym 1 or 2 (Seismetoad/Azumarill for Samurott, Darmanitan for Emboar, Leavanny/literally any other grass type for Serperior) although one otter did make it to undella town before I found a wailord (pretty much my favorite water)

Seeing Chikorita/Meganium votes as the worst starter really saddens me due to Chikorita beign my first starter in any Pokemon game. Hopefully it'll get an awesome Mega and become something I can use during online battles.

Edited by Tartar

I used a Chikorita in a HG Nuzlocke and it did me good. Survived till the rom broke. :'D I'm really fond of Meganium... All this hate makes me sad. It's not great so I do understand it but it's so cute!

Anyways, I chose Pikachu and Emboar.

I didn't get Yellow version because I can't bloody evolve the Pikachu! Raichu in Gen 1 is pretty great, a generally fast electric type, can't go wrong, but not letting it evolve?? HHNNG.

And I suppose I really don't hate Emboar itself, but I cannot stand Pignite. It's... Really ugly.

My fave starter is still Piplup tho.

I also disliked delphox for its design, and sceptile for letting me down. man, I was totally expecting a kickass leaf ninja bro, but then it evolved and then it just...started sucking. I don't know what else to say. it had an awful gen 3 learnset (all physical moves on a special mon) and pretty bad stats (speed and spatk and thats it) I kinda wish that GF had made Sceptile physical in gen 4, just so it could use Leaf Blade again.

Because of Gen 3's absence of a physical/special split, Sceptile was the only starter that could run a decent fully special set (Breed Crunch, get TPunch, Dragon Claw, Leaf blade e.g. Did good work in the Frontier) Sadly for it, all of those moves became physical the next gen. They gave it access to Energy ball and Leaf Storm, but that's about it on the special side :/

Seeing Chikorita/Meganium votes as the worst starter really saddens me due to Chikorita beign my first starter in any Pokemon game. Hopefully it'll get an awesome Mega and become something I can use during online battles.

MEGA MEGANIUM

Also, I don't really hate it... I'd just never pick it over the others.

MEGA MEGANIUM

Also, I don't really hate it... I'd just never pick it over the others.

I once saw someone reach top 50 on Pokemon Online with an OU Pokemon team back in B/W that Meganium named Arceus Grass. It was really a sight to behold.