Worst routes/cities/places in Pokémon

Vinny

As we all know, Pokémon games have fantastic landmarks.

I remember going to Lumiose City in Pokémon X/Y and being as surprised as I was when I reached Castelia City in Pokémon Black/White.

However, this is not true everywhere. There's usually that place. That place that you go through and thinks: "OMFG I forgot this shitty route/city/thing existed." And at least for a few hours the game simply turns terrible.

Of course, I'll just go with a classic one:

FL_Rock_Tunnel.png

ROCK TUNNEL

Oh all those times that I forgot flash. And all of my regrets for not having any repels.

If this place was more late game, it might have been worse. It might have been better. But where it is, it's place where many players will just look at it, sigh, and go through.

Hope you were ready for Zubats!

So, let's share. What places do you dread in Pokémon? A route that is terrible, a city that there's just nothing, or something else that I forgot. Let's add a bit more hate to those places.

But also let's leave fan-games out of this, yeah?

• Upvote 7

I'm going to go with Gen 1 Mount Moon.

It was big, empty (except for the hordes of zubats). I always got lost in there and it was full of rocket grunts. I honestly can't stand it.

Gen 3 Diglett cave was annoying too. Stupid arena trap.

• Upvote 3

• Global Mods

Agreed with Rock Tunnel. I was too lazy to fill in 10 Pokedex entries to get Flash, so I always traveled through without it.

I'm also tired of the "sliding on ice" puzzles in icy caves and gyms. There's been at least one in every region since Johto.

• Upvote 2

The Hidden Land from PMD EoS/EoD. It had such a cool soundtrack to soothe my ruffled feathers after hours of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" from dying all these fully-evolved Mons as two friggin Starter Mons and a NFE Grovyle. Every playthrough of my Explorers of Darkness would be enjoyable... until this place, in which case I'd bring every damned Reviver Seed I had been saving up. This is the ONLY occasion to use too many Reviver Seeds.

• Upvote 2

In trying to complete the pokedex in PMD: EoS, I've only despised two dungeons:

1.) Bottomless Sea: 50 floors of unnecessary bs. I promise you there had to be a monster house every other floor. If you don't have anything with discharge, you weren't going to make it to the boss, Kyogre (who after ELEVEN times of defeat, finally decided to join my team)

2.) Inferno Cave. This is where you go to recruit Entei. First of all, you gotta come by yourself in this hell hole, and all your days of exploring come down to this. But besides all the monster houses that without Earthquake you can't beat, the pokemon in this dungeon have a special IQ point: Intimidator. Once it activates, you can't attack because you're now scared of this pokemon. Now explain to me how A LV. 100 MEWTWO BECOMES INTIMIDATED BY A TORKOAL. I came so close to fighting Entei just to be stopped in my tracks by a torkoal who just flamethrowers me to death. Like, really wtf?

The route west of Pacifidlog in Hoenn. It was so frustrating not being able to control where you want to go due to those water currents. I had to continuously fly back to Pacifidlog because I kept taking the wrong path and passed by an item.

• Upvote 3

totally agree with the first gen mt moon. those zubats were annoying, as you probably didn't have a pokemon with an effective attack against it (yellow edition excluded) and after those pests, bam, Rival Battle... I found something related to it:

rival_ing_by_gabasonian-d9eca90.jpg

Or all those regions where you have to time the bike to get through in gen3, especially in dungeons.

hmm, worst city would be in first gen that town with the graveyard-tower, so depressing music, I always turned volume down for it^^' I think it's name was something like "Lavandia City".

For each core games,

RBY/FRLG

Besides what have already been mentioned above, another one in particular that gave me most troubles with is Rock Tunnel, requiring me to use HM slave with Flash like what Ice Cream Sand Witch has mentioned, in fact any routes that require HM slaves get on my nerve easily, Fuchsia City is pretty boring for a city that houses a gym leader especially when they remove the only thing that keeps thing interesting, Safari Zone.

G/S/HGSS

I am going to go with an unpopular opinion and say Route 30, Route 31 and Route 32 in Johto, they are extremely long and tedious to navigate for such early game for beginning routes and impossible to avoid a bunch of Rattatas and Bellsprouts without repels, in Silver/SoulSilver, it is also impossible to progress without HM Whirlpool in order to get to Lugia, which is annoying as well

route_30_31.png

RSE / ORAS

Aside from infamous abundance of water routes, cant think of anything at the moment

D/P/Pt

Victory Road, the HMs required far exceeded those of preceding games and Route 216/217, the thick snow along the way impeded your in already pretty laggy games

BW/B2W2

Old Victory Road with the slidings, any missteps would force you to start over. Castelia Sewers is another place that is redundant for an already sophisticated city like Castelia, not to mention the good old encounters with Zubats and Rattatas(why add another B2W2 version of Mount Moon)

XY

Kalos is a region where random routes are more interesting than towns and cities themselves, most towns/cities were run of the mill and didnt leave much impression to me

Edited by TimTim
  • Upvote 1

You people don't even have a good definition of horrible map. Every remember Union Cave? No, don't blame you. It is literally a cave with pretty much nothing in it. Literally, there is not a single thing you can do unless you used those e-cards or something. The other horrible map had to be the one in Fire Red with the cave maze. Didn't care for that one either. I suppose another one would be that one fog route in D/P/PT.

Of the top of my head I can't think of anywhere that really left that bad a taste in my mouth however I was extremely unimpressed with Unknown Dungeon. I was disgusted to find out that Mewtwo was just sitting in a single room cavern I was looking forward to an expedition into a winding cave! but nah. Mewtwo the final boss of X/Y. hanging out in a single room cave. in an area you had already visited. no puzzle. nothing to do. other than fight Mewtwo.

290px-Sky_Pillar_before_E.png

Sky F*cking Pillar

Now don't get me wrong, I love Rayquaza and all. But getting up this dang tower was one of the most frustrating things I dealt with as a kid.

As much as it infuriated me, I actually really liked sky pillar, not sure why though.

Altering cave was always boring, can't change it unless you used something that isn't available anymore and all I could get in that cave were zubats, yeah as if there wasn't enough of them in other caves. I always thought there was some other mystery to it like the regi puzzles but it turned out to be a disappointment.

Route 7 and Parfum Palace in Kalos.

There's a bunch of nonsense places in Kalos, and after you exit that little town with that pointless mini-castle you enter in a route with A FREAKING SNORLAX BLOCKING THE WAY

Seriously GF? Another Snorlax?

(I hate how Kalos copies many things from Kanto: the starters, the Snorlax, the Lapras, and even the non-official copy of Viridian Forest aka Santalune Forest)

First of all, I always get there with headache (Idk why but the beginning of X/Y gives me headaches)

Second, how I said before, the old Snorlax blocking the way because he ain't got nothing else to do, then you have to go aaaaaall the way to Parfum Palace to get the PokéFlute and then wake him.

After a well built Route 6, you reach Parfum Palace, and you have to pay Pok%C3%A9monDollar.png1,000 to enter... It's nothing, but I always wonder what would happen if our money was not enough.

"Oh Parfum Palace, Parfum = Perfume, we're going to see some Spritzees here, right?"

No, just a big Place with a big garden with a Furfrou puzzle.

And the Reshiram's and Zekrom's statues, why are they there? You're in the wrong game, go away!

After this I realized that I hate Kalos so much :v

I'll do mine by regions too (I couldn't be bothered looking up the route numbers...)

Kanto: Rock Tunnel

I didn't mind Mt. Moon that much but Rock Tunnel was annoying as hell in my first run of Pokemon Blue. I had no idea that there was an HM that allows you to illuminate dark areas - so you could probably guess that it took me a while to get through that cave.

Oh, and Lost Cave. Such a confusing place.

Johto: The route south of Blackthorn

Like for Hoenn, I really dislike areas which you cannot fully explore in one go. Due to the ledges, you are forced to fly back to Blackthorn multiple times if you want to battle all the trainers and get all the items on that route. I hated that.

Hoenn: The route west of Pacifidlog

Mentioned above. The water routes were really annoying too.

Sinnoh: The Great Marsh

Getting stuck when you take about 3 steps in the mud was just... yeah

Unova: Anywhere which changes layout in different seasons

Oh look! There's an item there!! ...but you can't get it until autumn/winter LOL

• Upvote 3

The Hidden Land from PMD EoS/EoD. It had such a cool soundtrack to soothe my ruffled feathers after hours of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" from dying all these fully-evolved Mons as two friggin Starter Mons and a NFE Grovyle. Every playthrough of my Explorers of Darkness would be enjoyable... until this place, in which case I'd bring every damned Reviver Seed I had been saving up. This is the ONLY occasion to use too many Reviver Seeds.

Congratulations on choosing the one that I would probably forget to say but I truly still hate with all my heart.

You people don't even have a good definition of horrible map. Every remember Union Cave? No, don't blame you. It is literally a cave with pretty much nothing in it. Literally, there is not a single thing you can do unless you used those e-cards or something. The other horrible map had to be the one in Fire Red with the cave maze. Didn't care for that one either. I suppose another one would be that one fog route in D/P/PT.

Hey Commander (o7), horrible can be used for many descriptions. A place that is a pain in the ass to get through can be horrible. A route with a bad layout can be horrible. A place that is completely useless can be horrible.

No time for discussion, only hating.

The route west of Pacifidlog in Hoenn. It was so frustrating not being able to control where you want to go due to those water currents. I had to continuously fly back to Pacifidlog because I kept taking the wrong path and passed by an item.

omg how did I forget that.

My completionist sense always makes me go through there many MANY more times than necessary.

/insert sigh here

Mt. Travail in Mystery Dungeon EOS. I hate Kangaskhan and monster houses so much. Why does everything there have so much fucking health, and why can I only bring two members?? Sigh.

What could be worse? Oh yeah, 99 floor dungeons, dungeons that reset your levels, dungeons that take all of your items, dungeons that only let you enter with one member

DUNGEONS THAT DO ALL OF THESE THINGS COMBINED!

Only play mystery dungeon for the main game. Please.