Weirdest pokémon?

zimvader42

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunsparce takes the cake, It's typing is ill fitting, it's based off a relatively obscure cryptid, it doesn't evolve, it's not particularly strong despite being kind of uncommon, it's hardly used by NPCs in the game, has seemingly random abilities, looks bizarre and stands out among pokemon's weirdos. At first glance you'd have no idea what this sorry looking dude is supposed to even be and even learning it's origins it's still weird looking and TBH doesn't really do its origin justice.

I like Lickylicky and it's a clever take on the fast food Big boy theme.

Probopass I thought looked stupid with the mustache until you learn they're iron fillings attracted by its magnetic nose which makes it a respectable and clever design. However it(and Nosepass) should've been rock/electric, GF dropped the ball there HARD.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Zapdos and Jolteon.

Specifically, their spikey design. What in the world are those? They can be hardened fur, like you would expect from a canine like Jolteon. But then they're exactly the same in Zapdos' wings. Meaning they're feathers, or at least are expected to behave like so. To top it all, Jolteon can learn Pin Missile. As the name says, Pin Missile is about stinging the opponent with pointy projectiles. Meaning the fur should also act like porcupine spikes.

Besides, I just dislike Zapdos' design overall. I always thought it looked like a bad talented child's depiction of a canary who just bit a high tension wire and lived to tell the tale. On second thinking, this may be his origin after all...

Pics for reference:

145.png250px-135Jolteon.png

Also, I filled the spoiler tags below with other specific Pokémon that I think are weird and weren't mentioned yet. I'm kind of bitter when it comes to pokémon designs.

mrmime.gif Puppet/mime/clown/mad scientist/old man next door who offers candy to passing children looking thing. The thousand miles stare doesn't help it either.

typhlosion.gifNot that I hate it, but Cyndaquil's awesome design and Quilava's flaming stegosaurus figure turns into no more than a resized, bipedal and neckless version of itself. But there's nothing to fear in case of a sore throat: the flaming collar makes easy to spot where Typhlosion's neck should have been.

bellossom.gifA corn cob or whack-a-mole thing with added arms, flowers and a tutu. How the hell does something like this evolve from Gloom? Diglett would have been more appropriated IMO

pupitar.gifshelgon.gifWhat? Dragon pupae? They look like GF had not enough willpower to think about an intermediary form between Bagon and Salamence/Larvitar and Tyranitar

electrike.gif Manectric's pretty cool, but I can't stand Electrike's colours (it looks like it's made of plastic) along with that protuberating skull.

sharpedo.gifRecently dumb me realized that Sharpedo is meant to be a torpedo, and thus, it was crippled of the rear part of it's body. I used to think her tail wasn't visible because of the sprite angle. Her head/body proportions are kind of... bizarre to say the least. And I have to force my suspension of disbelief real hard on how it moves without the tail's propulsion.

tangrowth.gif I like most of the DPP evolutions like Mamoswine, Honchkrow and Magmortar. But Tangrowth's giant tentacle arms, added to the fact that's just a "bigger Tangela" kind of ruin it for me. Maybe that's because I liked Tangela a lot since I watched the anime, and expected a cooler evolution.

druddigon.gifDo you remember this scissor? Have you ever heard about this instrument?

Remoraid's theme is being designed off a revolver,and Octillery is based off a turret, hence its signature move being octazooka. Notice Remoraid/Octillery learn a bunch of projectile and beam moves.

Druddigon is weird yeah. At first I thought it was hideous, but it grew on me and its gen 6 model looks loads better than its official art and sprite. I think it's supposed to be like a gargoyle, but still it's design is pretty odd even for a dragon pokemon and I'm really interested in how they got there(and really every other pokemon).

• Global Mods

Moveset wise, I'd have to say Prinplup. Like, WHY DOES IT LEARNS METAL CLAW WHEN IT HAS FLIPPERS? Well GG Game Freak, you like messing up the brains of gamers.

Look wise, This may be shocking, but Xerneas. IT's Pokedex entry says it's shaped like a X, but it isn't. Also, if the other main Kalosian legends are shaped like the first letter of their name, If you count 50% Zygarde, THEN WHY ISN'T XERNEAS SHAPED LIKE THE FIRST LETTER OF IT'S NAME? GG again, Game Freak. This is why I like Yvetal more than Xerneas. I'm Praticool, not Pratical.

Xerneas has X-shaped eyes, and I think it's legs are postured like an x too.

This may be shocking, but Xerneas. IT's Pokedex entry says it's shaped like a X, but it isn't. Also, if the other main Kalosian legends are shaped like the first letter of their name, If you count 50% Zygarde, THEN WHY ISN'T XERNEAS SHAPED LIKE THE FIRST LETTER OF IT'S NAME? GG again, Game Freak. This is why I like Yvetal more than Xerneas. I'm Praticool, not Pratical.

xerneas_x.png

Not as obvious as the others, but still there nonetheless.
Now as for an actual contribution (thank you to the above poster for reminding me, haha) this guy:
this_thing.png
It needs no explanation.
Edited by BreezyPonie

alright klefki and carbrink just what and why

Without going much into details, the what: Klefki is a key ring, and Carbink is a diamond with ears. The why: we needed a key ring and a diamond with ears.

Both are still pretty weird tho.

Carbink is a carbuncle.

I googled it up to see what kind of rock formation a carbuncle was. Don't do it like that people. I'll leave it at this: if you google carbuncle, it apparently is what in my language is known as antrax. And it's gross.

If you want to know the ACTUAL carbuncle the dessert witch is talking about, you need to google either carbink>bulbapedia entry>origin>carbuncle or directly look for "carbuncle gemstone" or "carbuncle mythology". It basically is a legendary creature who is said to have gems growing on it. So yeah, basically a diamond with ears :P

hoppip-gs.pngskiploom-gs.pngjumpluff-gs.png

Explain Johto, pt1: Ok, the pattern is, it starts with leaves, it goes to a flower, it ends as a cottonball. Meanwhile, Hoppip has...two leaves, literally, it's a grass type with two leaves and no other floral characteristics. Also the body colour changes from stage to stage... without making sense

tumblr_m9sthzQFgh1rv97cno1_500.png

Explain Johto pt2, electric boogaloo. Lanturn is a fish. That thing has two arms-like things and other than them nothing fishy at all. And it's the Angler Pokemon, per Pokedex, confusing me even more. What is that thing?!

Also all Bagworm Pokemon: Pineco and Burmy is the least weird. And ok, I know how these thing work in nature Wormadam though and Forretress just bug the crap out of me, I literally can't understand how the designers thought that the artwork fit with the concept.

• 5 weeks later...

kadabra-3.gif

Pokedex nightmare fuel. Also, look at this thing using a physical move. That's just hilarious. Anyway, here's what makes Kadabra a STRANGE 'mon.

FIRERED: "It happened on morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra."

EMERALD: "It is rumored that a boy with psychic abilities transformed into Kadabra while he was assisting research into extrasensory powers."

So HERE we have a Hoenn and a Kanto Pokedex DISAGREEING over how "matter-of-fact" this happening is. Not to mention that this happening is a human-to-Pokemon transformation that outright ignores the fact that Abra is even a thing....

HELLO?