Weirdest pokémon?

zimvader42

I haven't found any similar topic, even though I could have sworn there was one long ago o.o

Anyways, over the years, gamefreak has given us quite a good share of amazing creatures called pokémon. Some are pretty normal-looking, to the point of being almost exactly the same as the real life inspiration they come from (see: raticate, herdier, ursaring, and so on). We've also gotten some human-looking pokémon (gardevoir and gallade, medicham, mr mime) and, well, lots of other things. But some of them are weird. Wether it is the real-life thing they take inspiration from, or their looks, or both, we've gotten some pretty cool yet strange pokemon that you might or might not be sure what they're based on, or why they look the way they do. Or even their names or stats or typing might make them seem weird.

However, weirdness is relative to the eye of the beholder. So tell me, which one, out of the current 721, do you think is the weirdest pokémon ever made? Keep in mind that weird doesn't necessarily equal ugly.

• Upvote 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

299-2.png

Just what's this

Lol, yeah, Barbaracle is a weird one indeed. For those who did not know, barbaracle is based off a real life animal, the barnacle, that, despite its appearance, is actually a crustacean, like Kingler, Crawdaunt, Crustle, Parasect and Clawitzer (at least, the equivalent of crustaceans in the pokemon world). Barnacles have an elongated solid base that sticks them to a rock, and a hard pointy "shell" within which the actual animal's body resides (which explains why they learn shell smash). They usually live in colonies of various individuals. That's why barbaracle is a lot of these things stuck together in a rock. While incredibly weird looking, it is at least better made than just a dugtrio-like evolution; I mean, if binacle evolved into trinacle, I'm pretty sure it would be the single most hated mon of gen VI.

Even despite all this, I have absolutely no idea where the hand motif came from. Very weird creature.

Also, is it just me, or do the eyes on the legs stay in permanent contact with the ground? ouch, that hurts. I'm sure the leg-eyes sure would need a "hand". Get it?

250px-463Lickilicky.png

Ah lickylicky, the always hated evolution of a mon that wasn't particularly popular either, lickitung. Either if it's the name, the design or what it represents, I've pretty much never met someone IRL who knows pokemon and likes it. I particularly do not mind it, and actually respect it, as it can be quite strong, and is very fucking bulky. I preffer lickitung more reptilian design over it, personally.

Lickitung is not based on any particular reptile I know of, just a saurian-like creature whose whole gimmick is having a long, sticky tongue. Bulbapedia offers at least 3 separated points on what this thing's origin is: an iguana/chameleon, a giant baby, or a gourmand. I'm not sure about any, although the giant baby one makes me laugh when I think about it. The wifi-like pattern, the curl on its head, the overall lost of most of the characters that allowed to define lickitung as a reptilian (like the nostrils and head shape) and the fact that its tongue is somewhat shorter than that of its pre-evolution.... I don't quite know what to think about it. Very weird creature.

250px-051Dugtrio.png

Just what is under those pokemon.

Dugtrio is actually a choice of mine as well, when it comes to this topic. The fact that the franchise has been so persistant on hiding its underground half, the way the 3 heads are linked together, and all the theories of what could lay deep down....all this has made dugtrio kind of uncanny to me over time. I think about it and all I can see are lots of weird things underground that end in these 3 sausage-like heads.

If I'm not mistaken, it is supposed to be based off naked mole rats, or just regular moles. These things often hang one over the other, all piled up, in the galleries they excavate, so that might explain why it looks like it looks. Sort of. The fact that it is just 3 heads together still sets me off most of the time.

272Ludicolo_AG_anime_2.png

What is it?

Pineapple duck AKA mexican mariachi sombrero-wearing party-throwing dance-performing pineapple duck.....Ludicolo is indeed weird as fuck.

And all the ones mentioned above are actual points used as possible origins for this thing. It is also said that it might be based on a japanese kappa, to an extent. But all of this doesn't change the fact that, yep, ludicolo is weird. Weeeeeeeird.

618Stunfisk.png

i mean what

Stunfisk, one of the absolute weirder-looking ones. Its real life inspiration is a fish whose eyes rotate on its head during its childhood and positionate in the same side of the face as adults. However, stunfisk is neither a fish nor a water type. It apparently is the "trap" pokemon. What goes on with it, I dunno....

As for my take here, this thing:

561Sigilyph.png

Sigilyph takes a clear inspiration from the nazca lines, and native art. But that aside, this thing is WEIRD, the pokemon. It has forks, 3 eyes, and it is apparently related to unown. And if you look at it hard enough, it actually is the scheme of a bird: the single eye in the black cone is a bird head-and-beak, the two bigger yellow forks are flying wings, the black forks are bird legs and the smaller yellow fork is the tail. If you look at the picture from the side, this is made more evident. What the two spikes and the two belly-eyes stand for, I have no idea. Weird as fuck. But I love you, sigilyph. Specially since I learned how to properly write your name.

Edited by zimvader42
  • Upvote 2

I wanted to make this topic at one point a few months ago, but couldn't think of a good opening post.

Anyway, my vote goes to the walking tree with three egg heads that have derpy expressions.

exeggutor_by_a_bin-d3isr5v.jpg

Exeggutor is another weird motherfucker. A mandrake? a japanese legendary tree that grows faces? schizophrenia? who knows. I always liked this one picture tho, I think it represents a quite interesting way to see this mon:

exeggutor_by_nightmarehound-d4sfw54.jpg

For me it has to be gourgeist. Like, what is this freaking pumpkin with diggersby arms. Like what?

Gourgeist is supposed to be a, well, a gourd or pumpkin, and the head/body part with the pink hair and the curl on top, iirc, was supposed to be the representation of a candle with wax and a flame over it, as halloween pumpkins are usually lit with candles. The inspiration for the arms I have absolutely no idea where it comes from.

Still for some reason, this thing is my fav pokemon lol. I sometimes question myself about why, but dunno, I just find it cute and appealing as a whole.

But yeah, it is weird as fuck when you think about it.

Am i the only one who actually likes Lickilicky?

He's so fat and pink

I like him...

Sorry, I have problems...

No you don't, lickylicky is a respectable bulk-abuser with STAB explosion and iirc it can also use its special attack and some coverage moves it gets, as well as getting off a bulky heal bell to cure its team. It also only has one weakness. I like lickitung over it, but I respect lickylicky a lot. I nickname mine "whynature" as a joke, but I really really respect the mon.

And with this I gooo offff....

• Upvote 1

Am i the only one who actually likes Lickilicky?

He's so fat and pink

I like him...

Sorry, I have problems...

Nah aren't wrong to like pokemon that other people doesn't like. It's fine mate.

Also, jynx is kind of weird too. Or just many pokemon in gen 1 to be honest. Especially with their sprites.

For me, it is Jynx and Gothita line, dont get me wrong, i love most human like egg group mons in addition to them being my favourite psychic type, and i love weird looking mons. I think most ghost types are pretty bizarre looking too, which i love as well. If everything follow conventional way, life would be dull and boring. Avalugg came in mind when i pondered the weird looking ice type, coffee table ftw.

Edited by TimTim

Mawile. I always wondered what that thing was supposed to be O_O

japanese folklore. it's suuuuuuuper creepy x-x

i'll edit this post once i find it.

here's the weirdest pokemon for me

muk.gifswalot.gif

blob things

voltorb.gifelectrode.gif

literally just balls

and last but not least, my favourite

exeggcute.gif

e g g s

EDIT: i found it

Fj0pag2.pngmawile.png

Japanese folklore is infested with "yokai", creepy crawly monsters that come in hundreds of sizes and shapes. One popular yokai story is of "Futakuchi-onna" or "the two-mouthed woman". Once upon a time, a miserly farmer was overjoyed with his new wife because she miraculously never needed to eat, saving him a bunch of money. However, as the weeks went on he noticed that his grain supplies were getting dangerously low. It wasn't until one horrifying night that he awoke to find his wife asleep, but a second mouth on the back of her head was voraciously devouring his food stores. Tendrils of hair continuosly fed the mouth more and more rice, eating him out of house and home. Mawile is absolutely a reference to this story, sporting a demure gaze and one nightmarish mullet.

Edited by star-kin